Yes.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• RobAnybody 18 Feb 2013 18:27:23 824 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Seven Psychopaths

Had high hopes after the brilliance of In Bruges.
    Unfortunatly, this film suffers from the most idiotic pacing and plot structure i've seen in a while.

What worked - Performances are fantasic, genuinely funny and original moments, enjoyable to watch at times.
    What didn't - Plot holes galore, attempts at symbology that falls flat on its face most of the time, completely nonsense plot.

5/10

Would be a 7 if I didn't have such a sense of rage from having such a wonderfully acted film turned into a convoluted mess.
    I agree. I loved In Bruges and was so incredibly disappointed by Seven Psychopaths. What a waste of an excellent cast.
  • phAge 18 Feb 2013 20:51:38 24,280 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aliens and Cowboys

Strangely lacking in charm and humour, considering the source material, and both Craig and Ford were rather underwhelming. OTOH it was way, way too long.

5/10

Edited by phAge at 20:58:26 18-02-2013
  • phAge 18 Feb 2013 21:01:49 24,280 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    T2

While I prefer the first as a film generally, I think this is about the finest example of an action film there is. The big sequences are tip fucking top, and the bits in between that drive them are perfectly balanced.

9/10
    Absolutely. Must've seen it at least 15 times.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 21:05:15
    Warm Bodies 7/10

Reasonable enough romantic zomedy.

I Give It a Year 9/10

Very, very funny and not anything like as twee as I thought it was going to be. Highly recommended. Great as a date film, too.

Wreck It Ralph 7/10

As so many people have already said, a tremendous first half, but the second half in Sugar Rush kingdom is a little too sacharine sweet and fluffy.

Zero Dark Thirty 7/10

Starts off well, has a saggy middle but makes up for it with a dramatic ending. Jessica Chastain is also very lovely.
  • oceanmotion 18 Feb 2013 21:06:18 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kid is more annoying as time goes on for me which is a shame.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 21:15:06
    Watched Mama last night. Jessica Chastain is horribly miscast, and though it starts out somewhat creepy, they show the monster/ghost/whatever in so much literal detail all suspense vanishes. It's also shoved full of every horror cliche you can think of. There's a doctor who encounters physical evidence that Mama is some sort of ghost/demon/whatever, so decides it would be best if he went over to the cabin she haunts. Alone. In the middle of the night. And they even cram in a whole sequence of "IT'S PITCH BLACK AND ALL HE HAS IS A CAMERA WITH A FLASH".

Bleh.
  • kalel 18 Feb 2013 21:18:07 83,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was somewhat confused on first read when I misread the film as Mama Mia.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 21:22:17
    The introduction of Abba could have potentially improved the film.

Chastain must be annoyed at it, though. It absolutely screams "this was taken only for a paycheque/contract" and several pundits (rightfully, in my opinion) believe that it could hurt her Oscar chances for Zero Dark Thirty.
  • LeoliansBro 18 Feb 2013 21:37:30 41,863 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nightwatching. Peter Greenaway study on Rembrandt with Martin Freeman, his cock and a fair amount of servant girl clunge.

But this is to do it a disservice. Almost a stage play and painfully aware of its theatricality, which is weird because that's the point Rembrandt is making too. So you have the painting he is working on, those who are in it and pay him to be in it, their shady backgrounds and his awareness of them and what they have done, and those they have wronged, also included in the painting.

It isn't a film. Certainly as a film it isn't good, in a mainstream sense. But it is very worthwhile, not least bevause it could tell me something about Rembrandt, and his humour, and his art, that I did not know.

6/10 as a film. 9/10 as a character study. 10/10 as art history.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Ironlungs76 18 Feb 2013 21:48:33 4,930 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone seeing Wreck It Ralph without a child under 12 ought to be aware that it is complete shite.

Occasional fun nods here and there but still it is still not very good. Mark Kermode compared it to Monsters Inc in his review...nowhere near. Sadly.

A worthy half-term time-sink though.
  • Gruff 18 Feb 2013 21:48:56 2,770 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Undefeated 9/10 Best documentary I have seen in quite a while. Follows an impoverished Memphis High School Gridiron team through a season. Inspirational doesn't really do it justice.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• sirtacos 18 Feb 2013 22:56:15 7,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sin Nombre

A Honduran family try to make their way illegally through Central America into the USA. In parallel, there's a story about two boys involved with MS-13, a huge gang that, among other things, involves itself in people trafficking.

Highlights include beautiful train-top vistas and homemade guns.

7/10
  • sirtacos 18 Feb 2013 23:04:13 7,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Apocalypse Now

To then have his reveal shot in a shadowed, dim setting only added to the mystique and presence of the character by the time you finally met him. Unusual and evocative technique.
    Apparently, they used this technique at the time because Marlon Brando was a walrus.

Edited by sirtacos at 23:52:32 18-02-2013
  • sirtacos 19 Feb 2013 04:49:17 7,205 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Safety Not Guaranteed

Surprisingly sweet film. I expected it to be a dull hipster effort (general consensus led me to believe this), but I was quickly won over by the charm of it all. I even liked the naturalistic dialogue (hated it at first). The ending is jarringly unambiguous, but fuck it - the reaction shots of the journalist (black power fist!) and intern were adorable.
    Basically, I thought this was a joy to watch.

7/10

Edited by sirtacos at 05:01:45 19-02-2013
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Feb 2013 05:08:45 3,537 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Was in the mood for some braindead comedy the other evening and I hadn't seen this since I was a wee lad, so figured 'why not'.

It's aged horribly (from what I remember) and I got the feeling it was never funny to begin with, is 'why not'. Incessant cries of 'whoa dude!', air guitar had me turning it off before the 3/4 mark. And it was certainly not George Carlin's finest moment.

If only I could go back in time and tell 8 year old me that this is totally uncool and to go out for a game of footy with my mates instead.

4/10
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2013 05:24:11 6,220 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I heard recently they are going to make a third Bill & Ted.
  • muttler 19 Feb 2013 06:06:52 3,771 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always preferred Waynes World to Bill & Ted anyway.
  • evild_edd 19 Feb 2013 07:40:50 2,924 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Even back in the day, I always found B&TEE a bit 'meh'. The weird thing was that, despite never clickin with the original, I absolutely loved Bogus Journey. In fact, I think B&TBG is an example of a sequel better than the original. Just like Terminator 2 (just accept it Kalel, and you might just find that the nagging sense of self-loathing you've harboured for all these years slowly dissipates ;0) )

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• mrpon 19 Feb 2013 07:50:02 27,645 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    I always preferred Waynes World to Bill & Ted anyway.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Dangerous_Dan 19 Feb 2013 08:04:28 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Terminator 1 is the best.
    Yeah I can see the appeal of Terminator 2 but that stupid kid ruins it all. Get your hair out of your face you bitchy, humankind wannabe saviour!

Bill&Ted 1 is excellent, the second one less.

• SClaw 19 Feb 2013 08:45:36 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Antique Bakery 8/10

I didn’t realise it was going to quite that gay when I ordered it (“oh a comedy cakes and some shit” one-click) but I’m glad I did because it was a great film.

The cast were just really likable and seemed to be having a lot of fun with their parts, and despite being a little meandering (probably because it’s a series adapted into a film) it managed to have a pretty weighty plot with some nice meaning behind it.

Pacing was completely wacky though. The first half is completely trippy with weird ass dream sequences, musical numbers and all kinds of loony shit but it calms down into a comedy/drama for the second half.

Worth a watch simply to see four great actors playing really well off each other.
  • TechnoHippy 19 Feb 2013 08:51:53 14,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Terminator 1 is the best.
    Yeah I can see the appeal of Terminator 2 but that stupid kid ruins it all. Get your hair out of your face you bitchy, humankind wannabe saviour!
    I agree with this, the first film was excellent, had some decent suspense. The second was enjoyable, but silly.

I rate my opinion 10/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• evild_edd 19 Feb 2013 09:10:13 2,924 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's one irrefutable reason why T2 is better: it has a better villain. There you go, I said it. T1000 is arguably the greatest nemesis in the history of cinema (certainly sci-fi), it really is a masterstroke. The T800 is essentially a bullet sponge. If he was a videogame boss, we'd all be bitching about him.

Don't get me wrong, I love T1, but I don't think you can dismiss T2 as having no tension - Sarah Conor's escape from the psychiatric unit is a brilliantly tense scene (at least on first viewing). See also the serious dark scene where the T1000 disposes of JC's foster parents. There's menace and threat in sequel as there was in the original. Both films are heavy on action as well, but T2's scenes blow the first out of the water.

The first does have the advantage of...well...coming first. It established the famous lines of dialogue that the sequel recycles to great effect.

Both are great 10/10 films. They both have their flaws (and feel attached to their eras) but rise above them. I just happen to enjoy the second more :0)

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• kalel 19 Feb 2013 09:31:25 83,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually don't think the first does have any flaws beyond being technologically disadvantaged.
  • bad09 19 Feb 2013 09:32:21 5,504 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dark Knight Rises

Finally got round to what is probably one of the worst superhero movies I've ever seen. Utterly terrible, dreary, mind numbingly boring film I was willing to finish come the wet fart of an ending. It's just got nothing going for it. The Dark Knight should have stayed in bed and saved us the bother.

I really liked Begins but thank god Nolan is now done, hopefully the next Batman in 2015 will be a lot better (oh and Warner please remind the next director superhero movies need to be fun and at least a little bit exciting).

20% - and that's being nice for the FX and Michael Caine who is always great to watch.
  • Tonka 19 Feb 2013 09:49:53 19,840 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I never realized 2 in T2 stood for "the second film in a series"

There's a "Terminator"?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 19 Feb 2013 09:50:23 83,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What?
  • Ka-blamo 19 Feb 2013 09:55:58 7,103 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    lol
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2013 10:01:28 6,220 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    what is this I don't even