• Page

of 2769 First / Last

• Gruff 8 Feb 2013 21:58:57 2,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Blaketown wrote:
    Ted 70%
    I laughed a lot. What more can you ask for?
    A sense of humour?
    Lol'ed errr....lot's, at the post, not the film, lightly chuckled during that.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Gruff 8 Feb 2013 22:03:36 2,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Murderball - A very fun and uplifting documentary about paraplegic/weelchair rugby following the USA and Candian teams as they prepare for the Athens Oylmpic games.

Often very funny, poignant, and just cool, and enough there to tap into the mind of what it is like to be put in such a position. overally recommended

10/10
    Only 10!

Everyone should me made to watch this one, if only to realise what indulgent underachieving gits we all are with our legs.....and stuff

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Reacher 8 Feb 2013 22:52:38 833 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    John dies at the end 6/10

I enjoyed it, but I didn't really get what was going on. It seemed a bit too messy.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 8 Feb 2013 23:14:36 2,434 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Django Unchained 10/10
    Funny, witty, bloody and full of suspense, plenty of action and a great script. Just perfect, IMHO. Great acting by all and a bit of a longer cameo for Tarantino this time. Bet he enjoyed seeing the end of his part in it as well. Not a massive SLJ fan and he almost slightly spoiled it for me, but DiCaprio did a great job as usual.
    I was in the right mood for it, wasn't expecting anything spectacular and was very pleasantly surprised. Brilliant film.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Maturin 8 Feb 2013 23:17:48 2,995 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Total Recall - 1990

9/10 in the 90s and 8/10 now.
    Some of its atmosphere is missing now. There is quite some reliance for atmosphere on big set pieces which aren't timeless in this case. But over all a great movie and I think one of Arnie's best. Terminator 1 and 2 aged better in my view.
    I completely get that. Saw it on release at the cinema and was blown away by the scale of some of it. At the time it was vying with Die Hard 2 for most expensive movie ever. But some of it now seems cheap and small - despite the gazillions spent on it - and that takes something away from the original grandeur. Still a great fun film though.
  • captainrentboy 8 Feb 2013 23:32:18 991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wreck it Ralph- 60%
    Started so well, but then hit the super cute kid's section a little too quickly.
    And there it stayed for 40mins+ until the action packed ending kicked in.
    The way folk were banging on about it, I thought it would be wall to wall winks and nods to videogaming, but most of it was seen in the trailers.
    Good, but not great.
  • sirtacos 8 Feb 2013 23:58:04 7,280 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Robot & Frank

A son buys his old father, Frank, a robot to help him around the house. Frank is a retired cat burglar with Alzheimer's (or dementia). He hates the robot at first, but eventually realises he could use an assistant for one last heist...

Understated but sweet and quite funny. The film is set at some undetermined point in the future (20 years?) so it's basically a sci-fi comedy, I guess.

7/10
  • Gambit1977 9 Feb 2013 08:29:05 9,666 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Wreck it Ralph- 60%
    Started so well, but then hit the super cute kid's section a little too quickly.
    And there it stayed for 40mins+ until the action packed ending kicked in.
    The way folk were banging on about it, I thought it would be wall to wall winks and nods to videogaming, but most of it was seen in the trailers.
    Good, but not great.
    I'd agree with this, the first bit is great nostalgic fun. The alternative AA meeting being a real highlight.
    Then, candy...ugh!
  • TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2013 14:54:21 14,715 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Headhunters

Quite a tight thriller, I enjoyed it.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2013 15:46:13 14,715 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killer Joe

It's an odd setup, but a pretty good film.

7/10

• craigy Staff 9 Feb 2013 15:55:54 7,654 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @sirtacos Robot & Frank looks very sweet. Looking forward to seeing it!

I saw Hitchcock last night. 7/10. Much preferred it to the BBC's recent attempt to chronicle his working life. The movie acknowledged that he may have had marital problems, but didn't use it as a jumping off point to try and paint him as a bad person and damage his legacy like the BBC show attempted to do. I really dislike biopics which attack someone who is otherwise fondly remembered. Anyways, the movie had a playful tone, used a funny little device to show him harbouring fantasies in the dark recesses of his mind, and was overall a nice little piece of candy which celebrates Alfred Hitchcock.
  • oldschoolsoviet 9 Feb 2013 16:12:34 5,478 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Young Adult - 7/10

Former popular prom queen lass is now a late thirties alcoholic writer, stuck in a rut with no satisfaction or happiness in life. Cue a twisted scheme to return to her home town to ensare her former jock boyfriend, regardless of the fact that he's happily married and celebrating his first child. Nicely played by Theron, and a succession of cringing throughout.

Cashback - 8(6)/10

Lad breaks up with bird, suffers with insomnia, and signs onto nightshift at Sainsburys. Insomnia develops into the imagination that he can stop time, and certain escapades...... Side order of jinx with the supermarket gang.
    Gains a few points, for nostalgia and recommended for anyone who's worked retail in their t(w)eens, along with a delightful Emelia Fox.
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2013 16:47:03 11,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lawless - 2/10

The only criminal thing about this film is how utterly boring it is.

I'm really not a fan of Shia LaBeouf at all. The only thing he's remotely tolerable at is running away from robots going "No, no, no!". To think Lucas was thinking of handing over the Indiana Jones mantle to him. Thank goodness that turned out to the one of the worst films ever made.

This one isn't much better either. Despite having a decent cast and some violent scenes which are a bit lame, nothing interesting happens. There seems to be a penchant for pantomime villains in gangster films recently. Guy Pearce is an utter buffoon in this. I'm not sure who's worse, him in this or Sean Penn in Gangster Squad.

It also seems to have a running time of forever. I wasn't paying that much attention after about 30 minutes. The only redeeming feature is that watched this at home so I could fast forward through it.

In Time - 6/10

A decent concept which didn't make me want my time back after watching it.

The concept is quite a surprisingly good idea. In the future, people stop ageing at 25 and are engineered to only live one more year. Time is the currency, making it possible for the privileged to live an eternity. Throw in a main protagonist who ends up accused of murder and a century on the clock and you've got one hell of a high concept film.

The concept is good but it's the execution is what ultimately lets it down. It's not bad as such. The pace is good. Justin and Amanda look every much like movie stars. The plot isn't to bad either but it's very predictable. It just lacks anything that really engages you. No tension, No drama. Just plays it very safe.

It's just slightly better than average and is a decent enough time waster. I quite enjoyed it.

Lincoln - 0/10

The first film I've walked out of since the utterly dreadful 2012 back in 2009. Makes the dreadful Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter look as though it was directed by Spielberg at his peak.

Imagine your most boring history lesson from school you ever had. Now multiply this by US national debt and you're not even close as to how boring this film is.

You would have though Spielberg would inject some drama, tension, decent production values or just anything to engage the audience. It's just boring historic exposition.

Doesn't help that I really don't give a damn about US history or that particular period but as I mentioned earlier, I though Spielberg would have made it interesting.

Lasted about an hour or so. May have been more. I think there was still 90 mins to go when we headed out. It's been nominated for about a bazillion awards by people far more boring and uninteresting than I am.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2013 17:01:58 14,715 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    It's been nominated for about a bazillion awards by people far more boring and uninteresting than I am.
    That goes without saying, you are the master of beasts after all :-)

• Load_2.0 9 Feb 2013 17:20:28 19,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Lincoln - 0/10

The first film I've walked out of since the utterly dreadful 2012 back in 2009.

Lasted about an hour or so.
    You missed the ninja's. Shit get's REAL when they show up.
  • WrongShui 9 Feb 2013 17:23:38 6,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like the bit where Lincoln gets on all fours and starts firing shells out of his hat like a howitzer.
  • Stickman 9 Feb 2013 17:27:54 29,666 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    0/10 - needs more ecsploshuns and robots what shoot guns out their faces.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Deleted user 9 February 2013 17:31:27
    Gruff wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    Murderball - A very fun and uplifting documentary about paraplegic/weelchair rugby following the USA and Candian teams as they prepare for the Athens Oylmpic games.

Often very funny, poignant, and just cool, and enough there to tap into the mind of what it is like to be put in such a position. overally recommended

10/10
    Only 10!

Everyone should me made to watch this one, if only to realise what indulgent underachieving gits we all are with our legs.....and stuff
    Ha. Its wonderful isn't it. The biggest plus, is just how much fun the documentary is. I just wanted to go out and have a beer with these guys.This may sound stupid, but its one of those where you imagine what you could do if you were in there position. Yet i can walk and barely get my arse of the sofa to do stuff.

Weirdly most of the guys look like spitting images of actors, the kid they follow who just been in an accident is a dead ringer for daniel brhul, one guy looked like jeremy renner, errr thats about it. don't know where i'm going with this.

But yeah, everyone should see it.
  • FWB 9 Feb 2013 17:38:33 44,575 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never seen it, but one comment I heard on it was that the film made the guy appreciate that even the disabled can be dicks.

Can't comment myself.
  • Bremenacht 9 Feb 2013 17:40:05 18,246 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Lincoln - 0/10
    You would have though Spielberg would inject some drama, tension, decent production values or just anything to engage the audience. It's just boring historic exposition.
    Going to see films on subjects you don't like is never a winning idea.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2013 18:22:24 14,715 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises

For me this is the weakest of the three new films, although it's still an entertaining watch. The biggest problem is that Bane is a pretty weak character, especially compared to the Joker.

7/10

• GuiltySpark 9 Feb 2013 20:04:52 6,386 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Lincoln - 0/10
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Die Hard - 0/10

I don't like explosions, shooting people, towers or people who will be bald in their future career.

Get bent.

• beastmaster 9 Feb 2013 20:13:03 11,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Lincoln - 0/10
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Die Hard - 0/10

I don't like explosions, shooting people, towers or people who will be bald in their future career.
    And yet, there are many films and documentaries on subject matters I have no interest in that are excellent. That includes Schindler's List, Mississippi Burning, The Kings Speech etc.

• B0rked_Gamer 9 Feb 2013 20:17:37 2,692 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep that is a sign of a good doc, when it can draw you in even if you're not necessarily interested in the subject matter.
  • GuiltySpark 9 Feb 2013 20:19:16 6,386 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lincoln is not a documentary!

Get bent.

• repairmanjack 9 Feb 2013 20:29:12 6,043 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ted

I liked ... some of it. Was hoping for so much more. It's actually an amusing premise but seems poor in execution. Have a desperate need to see Flash Gordon again though...
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2013 20:31:08 11,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Neither is The Kings Speech or Schindler's List, The Last Emperor etc.

I didn't say it was. Or rather, I didn't mean to imply that is was. What I meant is having something you're not particular interested can be presented in such a way that it will keep you gripped from start to finish.

Lincoln is indeed not a documentary. It's an epic bore.

• GuiltySpark 9 Feb 2013 20:41:16 6,386 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fair enough. I just find it weird, the only films I have literally ever rated under a 6/7 are ones that I've basically been forced to watch, so it seems strange to me that you'd willingly (I assume, anyway) watch something that you'd consider a "0".

But no worries : )

(I'm aware you didn't know you'd dislike it before you watched it, but I don't think I've ever really made that mistake)

Edited by GuiltySpark at 20:42:09 09-02-2013

Get bent.

• Blotto 9 Feb 2013 21:50:37 2,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    But I suppose The King's Speech is more to do with King George VI's personal issues which you could be interested in even if you didn't really care he was part of the Royal Family. It could have had been about someone with a speech impediment who had to deliver speeches (a CEO of a major company maybe)and you'd still enjoy it.

Lincoln is much more tightly woven to the fact that he was president and the Civil war etc. So if you don't like that, then you'd be fucked. If you don't like the Royal Family, that's less of an issue with the King's speech.
  • Page

of 2769 First / Last