Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2104

• Page

of 2699 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:05:12 6,936 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    But he actually does, though. In Looper.
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Feb 2013 13:06:36 16,838 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That was my point, indeed.

You are a factory of sadness.

• SFD 6 Feb 2013 13:07:28 480 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dredd 3D

Pretty dire.... I expected it to be great after the positive comments on the forum.

5/10
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 13:08:02 43,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, I'd forgotten that side swerve.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:09:17 6,936 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was a great way of dealing with it, actually.

(Btw, insert winky/smiley/whatever for the SHUT UP comment, if one is needed. Time travel discussions are great)
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 13:10:52 43,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was the same way of dealing with it they used in The Spy Who Shagged Me.

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:11:17 6,936 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also relevant: a fairly serious deconstruction of the Hill Valley Telegraph from BTTF.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2013 13:11:53 20,006 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro Think o fit not so much as time travel as collapsing parallel universes. I think the science for that kind of "time travel" is more solid than the "This machine will take me back to a spacific point in space time that lies on the exact axis as the one I'm currently in"

Read Galileos' Dream. Not only is it a good sci fi. It's also a great history lesson about the great Galileo.

So as for your question. Yes, yes of course you change the outcome of the future. But in the same way as putting a big boulder in a stream. It's not a straight line, it's a tangle. Every action causes a new universe and collapses even more.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 13:15:31 86,240 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In Looper the whole reason they don't want to kill the guy from There Will be Blood is that it'll fuck things up in the future too much, so it is kind of covered.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 13:22:03 43,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    In Looper the whole reason they don't want to kill the guy from There Will be Blood is that it'll fuck things up in the future too much, so it is kind of covered.
    That's true, and even consistent (kind of). But it's all moot by the end when the whole in-the-past operations are fucked and that very thing has happened anyway with JGL's tragically short range Blunderbuss.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 13:22:16 06-02-2013

• LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 13:23:18 43,132 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, you know what. I'm being a nitpicky pillock over this. Looper is dumb fun, and if you look too closely you can see the puppeteers, that's all.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 13:26:56 86,240 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meh, sometimes it's fun to pick.

I still get annoyed that literally everything that happens in Back to the Future 2 is an exercise in total futility.
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2013 13:40:38 20,006 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's great fun to pick. And as have been said, you don't pick on shit films like... Hesher. There everyone just agrees that it was shit and made no sense.

Must watch Back to the future again.

Still haven't seen the third one. Ever.

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:43:21 6,936 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm picky with movies I like and ones I don't like, because, yes, it's fun. Some people get really annoyed with it though.
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Feb 2013 13:43:32 16,838 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Still haven't seen the third one. Ever.
    You're not missing a lot.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Tonka 6 Feb 2013 13:45:57 20,006 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'm picky with movies I like and ones I don't like, because, yes, it's fun. Some people get really annoyed with it though.
    Yeah, you're right. I used to really nitpick about Salt and that was rubbish!

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:49:58 6,936 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, if I'm nitpicking in my head *during* a film, as happens occasionally, it's usually a sign that it is boring me. Or that the things I'm nitpicking about are serious enough to break the illusion that the film is trying to build for me.

But after the film is finished, it's open season on films good and bad, over a beer with friends. Lots of fun!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:51:37 06-02-2013
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 16:10:14
    Talking of sci-fi, and in particular 12 monkeys/la jatee, i watched source code this afternoon.

Really enjoyed this. A great take on the whole memory, sub conscious stuff. Really tight, good length, and not over burdened with fluff. Carries one idea and sticks with it and effectively tying it in to modern day settings. Michelle Monaghan. And the film further confirmed by ability to cry at anything in film.

9/10

Edited by joelstinton at 16:10:28 06-02-2013
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 16:18:02
    Source Code was great right up until the happy ending. If it ended at the moment when it all freezes and everyone's laughing and he's kissing whatsherface and then it just fades straight to black, it would have been exceptionally brave and worthwhile. But shoehorning in a random "THIS IS ANOTHER DIMENSION, YOU'RE ALIVE, LIVE FREE WITH YOUR NEW LOVE" thing felt far too cheesy and nearly ruined the whole film for me.

Edited by meme at 16:18:32 06-02-2013
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 16:22:15
    Yeah i can agree with that. I thought that was, or should have been an excellent shot to end on. I guess in future watches you can just turn off there. It must be an inherent problem in scriptwriting, or someone on the publishing side , because so many movies make this mistake. I watched django last night, and the same applies, it should have ended at the end of the shootout.

Edited by joelstinton at 16:24:43 06-02-2013
  • disusedgenius 6 Feb 2013 16:22:27 5,195 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm can't remember whether we've done this before with Source Code, but that was the bit which solidified the film for me. It was pretty far from shoehorned really, seemed very inkeeping with the way things were going in the film and, more than anything, felt right.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 16:28:49
    I don't think it is a big of offender as a lot of other films, as you suggest it does allude to that ending quite often. I Guess its only nitpicking. But overall a very good film.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 16:32:09
    It wasn't so much the "this is another dimension" that felt tacked on, it was the happy ending part of it. Fading to black at that moment would have left enough ambiguity that the happy ending could have plausibly happened, but also that it could have not. Having it made explicit seemed cheap to me, like unnecessary exposition.
  • oceanmotion 6 Feb 2013 16:34:57 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still weird, he is still that other guy doing some other job, has his family etc..

Didn't ruin it though.
  • CharlieStCloud 6 Feb 2013 16:40:04 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    I watched django last night, and the same applies, it should have ended at the end of the shootout.
    I said the very same thing in the Django Unchained thread.

Such a brilliant shootout with unbearable tension, yet it ends fifteen, twenty minutes later? Nnooo...

I agree about Source Code too, which is strange because Moon ended spot on and you'd think Duncan Jones would know how to end it right, hey?
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2013 17:36:33 20,006 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NOT having a happy ending is the cop out nowadays. Actually committing to something takes balls. Leaving stuff ambiguous is for Nolan.

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 17:39:25
    There's very little that's actually ambiguous in Nolan's films, it's more just faux misdirection to make you think it's ambiguous. Besides, ambiguity doesn't necessarily mean not committing to a solid ending.
  • GuiltySpark 6 Feb 2013 17:47:07 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises wasn't ambiguous, and neither was Inception.

Get bent.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 17:49:17 86,240 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can accept TDKR wasn't, but Inception absolutely without any question or debate or matter of opinion, was. It was. Was. WAS.
  • Deleted user 6 February 2013 17:53:01
    It was ambiguous, but it didn't matter that it was. That's what I mean by faux misdirection. Everyone's like "LOOK AT THE SPINNING TOP" instead of the clear ending of "It doesn't matter, because he's accepted he's happy regardless of the outcome".
  • Page

of 2699 First / Last