Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2103

• Page

of 2799 First / Last

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:07:14 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was mainly just amused that people were arguing over which was better, Looper or Inception, and the arguments on both sides being essentially the same.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 12:11:10 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought Blood Diamond was a rare example of a highbrow action film. The action is great, the performances are great, and it's actually about something that's real-world and important.

At least it's upper-middle brow.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:13:59 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goes back to the Looper / 12 Monkeys comparison from a few days ago. You can see what I mean that one gets it right and the other doesn't.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 12:14:14 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And I liked Looper and Inception, although I found Nolan's need to explain the "rules" of the film in intricate, somewhat clunky expositionary detail affected my enjoyment of the latter as an action film. I didn't think he handled it well.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:14:38 06-02-2013
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 12:14:46 60,411 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stalker is a really funny one. It is, for periods, absolutely brilliant but equally for vast swathes, absolutely nothing happens.

Then it ends and you realise you have been watching three guys walk through a building site for nearly three hours.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:16:42 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Without wishing to turn this into a genre debate, I think something like Blood Diamond is more like Saving Private Ryan or Apocalypse Now or whatever. They are films where there's action scenes as part of the plot, but they're not "Action films", im the sense that they are not driven by high octane action sequences.

Action films basically only have plot to put the action into context. Lines of course will blur and lots of films could sit on the border, but yeah.

There probably are high brow action films though. I was talking pretentious guff with the whole high brow thing to be honest. All I was really saying is that just because some films aren't super stupid, you still don't have to treat them like they're proper high concept intellectual films.
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:17:59 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Goes back to the Looper / 12 Monkeys comparison from a few days ago. You can see what I mean that one gets it right and the other doesn't.
    Yeah, but even 12 Monkeys you can pick apart if you really want. In fact, that film suffers from Nolan-esque WTF final shot syndrome as well.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:18:44 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blood Diamond cheats its way to being highbrow. It gets away with it in much the same way that Lord of War doesn't.

• LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:20:31 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah, but even 12 Monkeys you can pick apart if you really want. In fact, that film suffers from Nolan-esque WTF final shot syndrome as well.
    Indeed it does. But 12 Monkeys thinks through time travel and brings in the necessary foreshadowing etc. Looper just asks whether you can change the past and then goes all Vicky Pollard about the relationship between JGL and Bruce Willis.

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:23:12 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, 12 Monkeys is better than Looper :)
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 12:23:13 60,411 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As stupid as it sounds, looper isnt a time travel movie in the same way as 12 monkeys is, so you cant really compare how they do it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 12:23:28 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Blood Diamond cheats its way to being highbrow. It gets away with it in much the same way that Lord of War doesn't.
    Care to elaborate?
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:26:07 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's a fair point actually, Looper and 12 Monkeys have different aims and ways they go about things.

But much as I enjoyed Looper, my unavoidable overanalysis means I can't unsee the fact that Bruce Willis is trying to save a future he's already erased by his actions and JGL is trying to kill someone he already won't turn into.

Edited for spoilers, sorry guys :(

Edited by LeoliansBro at 12:33:40 06-02-2013

• kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:27:57 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooop, bit spoilery there...
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:32:41 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Care to elaborate?
    Blood Diamond is all about corruption and guerrila armies and atrocities in Africa and exploitation, right? Except it's actually about the plucky but unworldly woman who falls for the rogueish handsome freelancer who knows his way around the place and is handy with a gun and has a black sidekick with his own agenda, together all fighting a brutal regime they must expose and defeat against the odds at great personal cost.

It's basically The empire Strikes Back with added topicality. It isn't about the themes, it's a standard adventure film they've hung on the framework of big present-day issues.

Lord of War is about greed and consequences, moral sacrifice vs power and money. But really its the Rise And Fall (And Lucky Escape) Of Nicolas Cage, co-starring his trophy wife, his fuckup brother and a succession of Bad Man (tm).

You want something that properly addresses African social problems? Last King of Scotland.

• Tonka 6 Feb 2013 12:35:42 20,748 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    But much as I enjoyed Looper, my unavoidable overanalysis means I can't unsee the fact that Bruce Willis is trying to save a future he's already erased by his actions and JGL is trying to kill someone he already won't turn into.
    I read it differently.

BW is doing it for the woman he loves and JGL is doing it for the child he never got to be.

It's not a "me me me" film the way I see it. It's about the importance of love and parenting as silly as that might sound. I also didn't see it as a film with one timeline they loop around on but rather a film where multiple branches inter and affect one another. Hence the viscosity of changes. Much like in Galileos' Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson.

Come to think of it... I don't think you get Looper.

Edited by Tonka at 12:37:30 06-02-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:38:03 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    BW is doing it for the woman he loves and JGL is doing it for the child he never got to be.

You mean BW is doing a 'Donnie Darko'? Hmmmm I suppose, but I really didn't get that vibe (not least because he keeps trying to remember her, which wouldn't be important if all he wanted was for her not to end up shot. Hell, going to France instead of China would have been enough).

No idea what you mean about the second bit.

• LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:39:18 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    An it's more that I don't think there's a Looper to get.

Unless we're talking self-sacrifice. In which case, how original.

• Tonka 6 Feb 2013 12:42:39 20,748 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro He's not being rational in the film. That might sound like a cop out but still.

As for the second bit it's about how time works. Not action A creates situation B that generates C but a big mess. LIke a river delta that is constantly shifting and sometimes creates a crescent lake etc etc.

So person A doing B doesn't mean he can't do F.

Changes upstream doesn't apear to have instant effect downstream and vice versa. So the "continuity errors" are sort of negated.

• Tonka 6 Feb 2013 12:43:30 20,748 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Unless we're talking self-sacrifice. In which case, how original.
    That was pure hollywood tear jerker. And I loved it

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 12:43:33 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

I dunno, I thought Blood Diamond was a bit smarter than you give it credit for. A lot of interesting questions get brought up between the action scenes, about compassion fatigue, the role of the press in the conflicts, corruption, life in refugee camps, child soldiers. Sure, the plot itself is still pretty simple, but that hardly disqualifies it from being smart and fairly highbrow as well.

Of course, Last King of Scotland is also absolute quality, but the issues are not all the same. And it's not an action film.

And speaking of action films that are about things, District 9. (Cue debate about whether it's action, sci-fi, sci-fi/action, whatever)
  • kalel 6 Feb 2013 12:44:24 88,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I kind of agree with Tonka's take on continuity in Looper. PErhaps that's justa convenient way of ignoring the flaws, but it does make sense to me that's it's not a linear as Back to the Future action and consequence type stuff.
  • sport 6 Feb 2013 12:46:14 12,775 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The real question is whether LB has ever enjoyed a film........ever?
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:51:24 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Films I have enjoyed.

...Dog Soldiers?

• LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 12:55:22 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Billy - District 9 is indeed another good example. And kal and Tonka, I get what you're saying about the river of time as a delta etc. I just have a little problem with 'Time Travel doesn't exist so we can make it do whatever we want, especially given what we want it to do is motivate to the main chracters in the film'. Why not say 'Time Travel creates a psychosis which obliges you to kill your father before you mutate into a space butterfly and explode'?

I am well aware that it might be me that is the one being unreasonable. But I will say one thing, or rather ask one question: in Looper, can you travel into the past and change things which alter the future, or not?

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 12:56:26 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ...billy?
  • sport 6 Feb 2013 12:58:48 12,775 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever you do LB, don't watch Source Code!
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Feb 2013 12:58:59 17,170 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I am well aware that it might be me that is the one being unreasonable. But I will say one thing, or rather ask one question: in Looper, can you travel into the past and change things which alter the future, or not?
    It doesn't matter, Bruce Willis told us so.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mola_Ram 6 Feb 2013 13:00:17 7,643 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, Bruce Willis is telling you to SHUT UP
  • LeoliansBro 6 Feb 2013 13:03:32 44,503 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Yeah, Bruce Willis is telling you to SHUT UP
    That was cliched in the 90s.