Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2099

• Page

of 2587 First / Last

• imamazed 4 Feb 2013 12:18:05 5,455 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok, 40 if you prefer.

A scale of 1-5 is perfectly sufficient for film ratings.
  • Trane 4 Feb 2013 12:19:44 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh I'm sorry you didn't read the thread title.
  • RobAnybody 4 Feb 2013 12:21:41 824 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Got my finger on the pulse with this one:

Django Unchained

A disappointment tbh. Far too long, disjointed, and pretty flawed in terms of storyline. Lenny D and Christoph Waltz do a great job with their performances and they remain entertaining throughout. But so many of the other characters are under developed and uninteresting. Sam Jackson's character is like something out of a sitcom. And QT's cameo is, well, bizarre. The first 90 minutes or so are great, and I enjoyed many individual scenes in the film, but as a whole it's a bit of a mess. Also, as an aside, I wasn't offended by the over the top violence in any way, but it certainly didn't work for me. It seemed very out of place at times.

2*
    Agree with your comments, but 2/10 seems a tad low. I'd go for 6.5/10 (my main criticisms would be aimed at about the last third of the film - ie length, poor story-telling, QT's appearance, etc).
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 12:21:45 6,237 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    9/10 people here pay no attention to the thread title.
  • imamazed 4 Feb 2013 12:23:50 5,455 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Oh I'm sorry you didn't read the thread title.
    That's quite alright; my mistake.

Edit - Rob, that's 2 stars out of 5 (as per the normal film rating system). So 4/10 or 40% if you prefer. Please, accept my apologies; I got it all wrong and should have used percentages.

Edited by imamazed at 12:25:17 04-02-2013
  • Kostabi 4 Feb 2013 12:24:31 4,662 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lawless 7/10

Ehh, it was alright.
  • Trane 4 Feb 2013 12:25:09 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    90% of people? That's high.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 4 Feb 2013 12:32:41 7,386 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    90% out of ten?
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 12:41:26 6,237 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    /mind blown
  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 12:46:43 20,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Les Miserables

Fuck me it's long. I thought it would never end.

I went in with no knowledge of the musical other than the Susanne Boyle song. As such, I only found about two or three of the songs particularly memorable. Clearly I'm not the main target audience, but for that reason it was definitely lacking.

Russel Crowe really can't sing. Huge Jack Man isn't much better, doing a sort of weird talky version of singing, where you're never quite sure if he's in tune or not (especially when you're unfamiliar with the tunes). Everyone else is good, Anne Hathaway especially, but that might just be cos I fancy her.

Lot of people around me were blubbing. I didn't though, because I am a big powerful man.

Regardless of the above, it certainly looks the part, I was very impressed by the attention to detail in all the sets and costumes and so on.

All in all, ok but definitely flawed, with the disclaimer that it's clearly not aimed at me. I preferred Sweeny Todd.

6/10
    I've only seen the stage production, but that engendered the same reaction, except they could all sing. It's not aimed at me, but unlike with opera, which I do enjoy (in the flesh), I just couldn't get into the emotions of the piece, whilst others were weeping. It sounds stupid to say considering I recently enjoyed La Boheme, but it needs more story (which, I hear, the book has quite a lot of...) to make me think it's worth investing in.

And then at the same time I dislike prescriptive attitudes to music/film. If it works, it works. It just doesn't for me.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 12:48:22 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I don't really get the whole Les Mis thing, but so many others clearly do that I'm inclined to just shrug and accept it's not for me.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 12:51:23 55,861 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the thing that gets me about the new one is that everyone who sees it seems to say OMGWOLVERINESINGING?!!?!?!! like he hasnt done that in every other film he has ever been in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 12:51:54 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Four Lions - 4/5
    Much better than i feared. I'd avoided it because of all the hype and furore surrounding it but it came across as an intelligently written and funny film with something to say. I mainly took away that there are fucking idiots in both terrorist and law enforcement but then we all knew that.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 12:52:52 25,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Was huge jack man auto correct or did you mean to type it?

Called it

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 12:55:28 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I assumed it was a typo. His name is obviously Huge Ackman.
  • Trowel 4 Feb 2013 13:23:25 16,849 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apocalypto - 9/10

It's a crying shame that some think of this only as more whacky experimental output from Gibson. Thrillingly paced and finely shot, one of the best movies of the last decade.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:24:58 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a very good film. Reminds me a bit of First Blood weirdly.

It's a little bit more violent than it needs to be, but that's mentalist Gibson for you.
  • marilena 4 Feb 2013 13:48:38 8,198 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow! I thought I was forever alone in my appreciation for Apocalypto.

It's a really good film that I think got caught up in the backlash against its (undoubtedly crazy) director.

And yes, the human hunt part is quite reminiscent of First Blood.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 4 Feb 2013 13:51:06 7,386 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apocalypto is really rather good.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:55:04 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think anyone was that anti Mel Gibson at the time. This was pre-Passion of the Christ days, let alone "sugar tits-gate". If anything he was still riding the Braveheart wave at that point.

I think it was more that it was all about Mayans and looked really serious, and the marketing failed to communicate it was actually just a really violent action film.
  • Trane 4 Feb 2013 13:55:20 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Wow! I thought I was forever alone in my appreciation for Apocalypto.

It's a really good film that I think got caught up in the backlash against its (undoubtedly crazy) director.

And yes, the human hunt part is quite reminiscent of First Blood.
    I thought it was generally well received? IDK, it was some time ago.

Has anyone caught it on Blu-Ray? Might add it to my budding collection.
  • Trowel 4 Feb 2013 13:56:32 16,849 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd not seen it for a few years, during which time we've been on a tour of a lot of the Mayan sites referenced in Guatemala and the Yucutan - Gibson got slammed for historical inaccuracies, but it's just that he cherry picked, not like he buried a king in a car park.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:59:11 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have it on BR. It's a pretty good one. It was shot in a variety of film types so the transfer is a bit hit and miss, but it's nothing awful. Overall it's pretty good, but not "reference level" as it were. The sound is very good.
  • Lukus 4 Feb 2013 14:02:20 18,955 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Was huge jack man auto correct or did you mean to type it?
    It was intended.

And yeah, I thought Apocalypto was surprisingly good.

Edited by Lukus at 14:03:54 04-02-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• marilena 4 Feb 2013 14:04:27 8,198 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Re: Apocalypto

I just checked and it has a 65% rating on RottenTomatoes, which is higher than what I remember.

I have a tendency to go out and read lots of stuff about films that I like which made the next day after watching Apocalypto a dissapointing experience. It must have been close to release, since I saw it in a cinema - maybe attitudes changed a little after a while. Anyway, it felt like everyone was shitting on the film and calling it hyper violent and historically inaccurate (which I find hilarious, since it's probably one of the more historically accurate films around, not that this is saying much).

Oh, and it was after The Passion of the Christ. I think the reception of Apocalypto and especially the criticism of the film's violence was at least in part anti-TPotC backlash.

I didn't even think it was that violent myself, apart from the face crushing jaguar bit (I turned my eyes away at that one).

Edited by marilena at 14:05:45 04-02-2013
  • Trane 4 Feb 2013 14:08:50 4,049 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I have it on BR. It's a pretty good one. It was shot in a variety of film types so the transfer is a bit hit and miss, but it's nothing awful. Overall it's pretty good, but not "reference level" as it were. The sound is very good.
    Cheers kalel.
  • Tonka 4 Feb 2013 14:50:21 19,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    I think the reception of Apocalypto and especially the criticism of the film's violence was at least in part anti-TPotC backlash.
    I wasn't aware there was a Pirates of the Caribbean / Apocalypto connection.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• RobAnybody 4 Feb 2013 14:57:56 824 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    There's a thread title?!?
  • mikeck 4 Feb 2013 15:09:01 1,837 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    marilena wrote:
    Re: Apocalypto

Oh, and it was after The Passion of the Christ. I think the reception of Apocalypto and especially the criticism of the film's violence was at least in part anti-TPotC backlash.

I thought I was going mad for a moment, because I could of sworn it was a couple of years after Passion. Thanks for confirming.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 15:47:56 83,875 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, I must have my wires crossed. Fair enough.

FWIW Passion is also a pretty good film, if again needlessly violent and yeah, a little ickle bit on the Jew-hating side.
  • Page

of 2587 First / Last