Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2098

• Page

of 2766 First / Last

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:28:40 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looper – Not helped by watching it with a woman and therefore having questions about the plot/time travel/everything asked every 30 seconds.

“THEY HAVE, ON AT LEAST TWO OCCASIONS, SAID ‘DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT, ITS COMPLICATED’ SO SHUT THE HELL UP”

Anyway.. it’s a good film alright. As everyone says, the first half is great but it loses its way in the final hour. The telekinetic plot didn’t bother me like it did a lot of people, just the fact that it dragged. It got *so* slowed down when they hit the farm that the film just loses every bit of momentum it had with a star turn by John McLane to liven things up.

8/10

Edited by nickthegun at 09:29:15 04-02-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 09:29:15 7,379 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If the classic short documentary "Farm Girl in a Barn" is any indication, all real-life farm girls have hot asses.

Edit: @GuiltySpark

Edited by Mola_Ram at 09:30:48 04-02-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 09:29:51 44,118 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looper's awesomely budget but good fun. Time travel makes no sense but, as you say, don't think about it too hard.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:32:30 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Looper – Not helped by watching it with a woman and therefore having questions about the plot/time travel/everything asked every 30 seconds.

“THEY HAVE, ON AT LEAST TWO OCCASIONS, SAID ‘DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT, ITS COMPLICATED’ SO SHUT THE HELL UP”
    Haha, I literally had exactly the same thing.
  • GuiltySpark 4 Feb 2013 09:34:32 6,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The telekinesis plotline pretty much went nowhere, but it still led to one of the most memorable scenes in the film - guy getting exploded in Emily Blunt's house.

Haven't seen it since the cinema, really need to watch it again.

Get bent.

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:34:44 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With a bit more budget, I would have liked to see a cut to the rainmaker making his play during the exposition sequence or something like that. The only real glimpse we get of the that time is a Chinese house and some futuristic Jews.

• LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 09:35:56 44,118 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Bruce Willis being totally emasculated and somehow 'forgetting' that he was due to be proper fucked.

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:38:20 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    The telekinesis plotline pretty much went nowhere, but it still led to one of the most memorable scenes in the film - guy getting exploded in Emily Blunt's house.

Haven't seen it since the cinema, really need to watch it again.
    There are so many nice touches in the film and that sequence especially. Blunt running at what you think is her son to catch him but is actually pushing JGL out of the door is brilliant.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:38:43 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some of the exposition was quite funny.

THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE WITH TELEKINESES. JUST MENTIONING IT. DON'T DWELL ON IT TOO MUCH FOR NOW.

ALSO THESE GUNS HAVE LONG RANGE, AND THESE GUNS HAVE VERY SHORT RANGE. AGAIN. JUST SAYING.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 09:38:48 7,379 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Haha, I literally had exactly the same thing.
    I loved that about the movie, how it sidestepped the paradox by, essentially, having Bruce Willis go "WHO CARES ABOUT THAT, STFU"
  • Deckard1 4 Feb 2013 09:40:40 27,981 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thoughts on the ending? Personally I thought it was shit. The ending not the whole film.
  • GuiltySpark 4 Feb 2013 09:41:00 6,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    With a bit more budget, I would have liked to see a cut to the rainmaker making his play during the exposition sequence or something like that. The only real glimpse we get of the that time is a Chinese house and some futuristic Jews.
    It was perhaps punching above its weight slightly; there is a lot we expect when certain themes get included (time travel etc) and it end up being a bit of a mess whilst trying to juggle all these things, whilst simultaneously not necessarily being about those things.

Brick had it perfect to be honest. Might just watch Brick again.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 09:42:30 04-02-2013

Get bent.

• woodnotes 4 Feb 2013 09:42:26 4,924 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flight - 7.9/10

Enjoyed it but was hoping for more. The problem was, I went in thinking this would be a film about conspiracy theories and in the end I got a film about an alcoholic. Which is fine, but conspiracy theories usually win. Definitely worth a watch.

Here Comes the Boom - 5/10

Another silly Kevin James vehicle, but nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. It passed the time and I had a couple of chuckles.

Argo - 7.5/10

Was really looking forward to this but ultimately it just didn't deliver to my expectations. Definitely felt like something was missing - I was expecting there to be much more to the story. In fact, I was surprised when it ended, thinking "is that it?". Given the premise of the true story, I thought we were in for a ride with lots of twists and turns, it seems that wasn't to be. I also thought the police/security chasing the plane at the end was just ridiculous.

The Sessions - 7/10

Film about a semi-paralysed man in an iron lung who has 'sessions' with a sex-surrogate to finally lose his virginity at the tender age of 38. Not much is left to the imagination. Quite moving in places, occasionally witty, lots and lots of full-frontal Helen Hunt, and also more than a little difficult to watch in places too. Not a Saturday night movie.

Sinister - 6.5/10

Jumpy, silly but well-acted horror thriller. Decent movie to munch popcorn to though.

Edited by woodnotes at 09:43:58 04-02-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 09:44:07 44,118 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Thoughts on the ending? Personally I thought it was shit. The ending not the whole film.
    SPOILERS

It was stupid in the context of the whole film. Murder is impossible in the future so we murder people in the past, and the Rainmaker is trying to kill off all the time travel murderers? What a monster, we must change the past to make sure we can continue to kill people for the mob.

Solid moral message there.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:47:48 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    SPOILERS

It was stupid in the context of the whole film. Murder is impossible in the future so we murder people in the past, and the Rainmaker is trying to kill off all the time travel murderers? What a monster, we must change the past to make sure we can continue to kill people for the mob.

Solid moral message there.
    Not only that, but Rainmaker was working within the agreed system anyway. The Loopers all accept the loop can be closed, and they get paid off well for the privilege, and the Rainmaker was adhering to that process. I didn't really see what everyone's problem was.

Also what was the point of Jeff Daniels? I thought he was going to turn out to be a bire more significant plot-wise in the end?

As for the actual end. I didn't mind it. Not sure how else it could have tied up.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:49:54 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It explicitly said he was closing off all the loops as fast as possible because he realised that they may have personal information about him that could be used in exactly the way Willis did.

The film is then about the redemption of young and old joe, old joe becoming a monster and young joe actually suceeding.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:50:16 04-02-2013

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 09:50:23 7,379 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, that's the thing, really. You almost can't have a time travel movie that makes perfect logical sense in the end. Apparently Primer does a good job of it, after you study it for about a year.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 09:51:52 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jeff Daniels - He was just a plot point otherwise the audience would have wondered how this well oiled machine ran itself. He got fat and lazy and then got offed. He wasnt important as a character but was as a plot device.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 09:58:10 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still think 12 Monkeys does the most solid job of a time travel movie without holes, and also of the whole distopian future time travel thing.

Probably one of my favourite films now I think about it.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 10:00:45 44,118 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best thing about 12 Monkeys is that he's sane enough to think everything through and realise he must be crazy.

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 10:01:15 7,379 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have not watched 12 Monkeys in bloody ages. Good, because it's been so long that I've forgotten almost everything about it, and can watch it like it's the first time!
  • Scurrminator 4 Feb 2013 10:12:04 8,410 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Heh - they weren't Jews. They were cowboys. Based on the toys that you see the kid playing with in the house. Which I thought was pretty cool :-)

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 10:13:40 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think he really thought they were Jews.
  • craigy Staff 4 Feb 2013 10:16:38 7,647 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flight: 6/10
    Bullet to the Head: 4/10
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 10:17:31 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In 2070, piracy finally overwhelmed the film industry so the jewish mafia moved onto time travel.

• Mola_Ram 4 Feb 2013 10:18:27 7,379 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is Bullet to the Head related at all to the John Woo movie Bullet in the Head?
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 10:18:41 59,854 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Bullet to the Head: 4/10
    In the advert, the sound clips of stallone that they play make him sound even more brain damaged than he usually sounds. Is there a reason for this in the film? Was he shot in the head at any point?

• Tonka 4 Feb 2013 11:25:52 20,394 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Heh - they weren't Jews. They were cowboys. Based on the toys that you see the kid playing with in the house. Which I thought was pretty cool :-)
    Did you get where the Rainmaker monicker came from?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• imamazed 4 Feb 2013 11:31:19 5,569 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got my finger on the pulse with this one:

Django Unchained

A disappointment tbh. Far too long, disjointed, and pretty flawed in terms of storyline. Lenny D and Christoph Waltz do a great job with their performances and they remain entertaining throughout. But so many of the other characters are under developed and uninteresting. Sam Jackson's character is like something out of a sitcom. And QT's cameo is, well, bizarre. The first 90 minutes or so are great, and I enjoyed many individual scenes in the film, but as a whole it's a bit of a mess. Also, as an aside, I wasn't offended by the over the top violence in any way, but it certainly didn't work for me. It seemed very out of place at times.

2*
  • Trane 4 Feb 2013 12:08:17 4,052 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2 out of 100?

Bloody hell that's harsh.
  • Page

of 2766 First / Last