Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2095

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• nickthegun 1 Feb 2013 10:47:34 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think, looking at the rest of his CV, Even Horizon was unistakably a fluke.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• spindle9988 1 Feb 2013 10:55:17 3,492 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still find event horizon really scary. Watched with the missus recently (saw it when it came out years ago) and we were both terrified. Great film
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 11:03:52
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    What CGI is there in Event Horizon? Apart from the black circle in the core?

Edit: And the floaty stuff at the beginning, I guess.
    Mainly the floaty stuff and the black inky stuff. Like I say there's not much so didn't bother me too much. Oh, plus the empty eye sockets.

Me and my mate debate it's merits of awesomeness with him just thinking it's alright. I just love the idea even if it wasn't always executed brilliantly the thought of this vessel out in deep space crossing into hell. A brilliant merging of sci-fi and religious horror. A bit like doom in that respect.* Made the wife watch it with me and it still had the ability to make her squirm. She is a wimp mind you :-P

*not the film, that WAS gash.
  • evild_edd 1 Feb 2013 11:07:49 3,011 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Event Horizon is a cracking film. Remember my brother and I going to see it randomly in the cinema somehow under the mistaken impression it was more of an action/sci-fi rather than a horror. Walking out of the cinema, my brother turned and described it as a "twelve change of underwear job".

Used to own it on VHS but never re-bought on DVD. It's one of those where I'd be worried about seeing it again and potentially tarnishing the memory...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• LeoliansBro 1 Feb 2013 11:09:57 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Here's something freaky about Event Horizon - go watch the bit where Sam Neill is hallucinating in the stasis pod on the outward journey. He wanders around the ship and sits down on the bridge, and his freaky wet dead wife touches him on the shoulder.

Look at the screen his wife is reflected in when she stands behind him. There are eyes on the screen watching him.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 1 February 2013 11:18:13
    evild_edd wrote:

Used to own it on VHS but never re-bought on DVD. It's one of those where I'd be worried about seeing it again and potentially tarnishing the memory...
    It's as good as you remember, I promise!

LeoliansBro wrote:

Here's something freaky about Event Horizon - go watch the bit where Sam Neill is hallucinating in the stasis pod on the outward journey. He wanders around the ship and sits down on the bridge, and his freaky wet dead wife touches him on the shoulder.

Look at the screen his wife is reflected in when she stands behind him. There are eyes on the screen watching him.

Going to have to do that now...
  • Zizoo 1 Feb 2013 11:23:48 8,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Feb 2013 11:51:11 16,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:

It's as good as you remember, I promise!

LeoliansBro wrote:

Going to have to do that now...
    Hah, they look a bit like cats eyes.

You are a factory of sadness.

• magicpanda 1 Feb 2013 11:57:08 13,266 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • warlockuk 1 Feb 2013 12:09:14 19,133 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where we're going we don't need eyes... to see.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 1 February 2013 12:18:21
    How odd! Never noticed that before.

I read that over 20 minutes worth of hell and gore scenes were cut. Would be fucking awesome to see the film like Anderson wanted but I don't think the footage ever survived.
  • B0rked_Gamer 1 Feb 2013 12:20:26 2,481 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have all that on VHS. :)
  • LeoliansBro 1 Feb 2013 12:22:03 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 'vision' Miller gets is a montage of the hell scenes.

And eyes of course are a central theme. Along with REALLY LOUD shutters opening.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 1 February 2013 12:52:43
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The 'vision' Miller gets is a montage of the hell scenes.

And eyes of course are a central theme. Along with REALLY LOUD shutters opening.
    Yeah but there was a lot more meant to be in there. Apparently the shutter sound when Weir opens his shutters on the Daylight station is the sound effect from DOOM for doors opening! (someone's been on IMDB :-P)
  • pistol 1 Feb 2013 16:27:22 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Iron Lady

Margaret Thatcher biopic with Meryl Streep.

From from I can gather the general concensous on this film is that Streep was awesome and deserved her Oscar but the film itself was a bit ropey. Have to agree...

10/10 for Streep's performance and 5/10 for film.
  • JuanKerr 1 Feb 2013 16:51:17 36,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Do you reckon he might be holding his stomach in just a bit when he gets out of the stasis pod? Bless him.
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 16:57:10
    Ha ha that's what the Mrs said
  • TOOTR 1 Feb 2013 17:02:31 9,495 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lazy day watching movies today.

Arbitrage
    Richard Gere doing his elderly powerful silver fox thing - this time as a corrupt corporate titan thing, Susan Sarandon waiting the whole film to have a handful of well placed lines and Brit Marling looking luminescent. I enjoyed it but it's nothing we haven't seen before.
    70%

Compliance Will provoke a mixture of strong reactions in any viewer for sure. For a variety of reasons and not necessarily good ones but I think this should be watched - unpleasant as it is. Based on those McDonalds strip search true stories - and human psychology's deference to authority. I don't buy the 'this would only happen in america' line that some reviews spout out. But yeah you can't help but wonder how can be people be so....well....compliant?!

70%

Feeling I needed a mental shower after Compliance I watched

Tangled
    Amazing how I am so bored by formulaic rom-coms but am spellbound by really great animated fairy stories - and this is really great.

90%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• QotSAfan 1 Feb 2013 17:39:03 1,653 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @evild_edd never knew that! Most of my experience of the song comes from the comic Ed Byrnes rant on it. Shoots all kind of holes in my theory now though ha!
  • mikeck 1 Feb 2013 18:14:21 1,903 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nearly had a minor parking altercation in Sainsburys about an hour ago (just parking confusion rather than handbags) and drove off in a slight huff to find a new space. The guy was out of his car as I walked past and offered an apology for the confusion, which I accepted and made some polite reply back to...and as I finished my sentence I realised it was fucking Tom Hardy.

Wish I'd made some cool remark back now, instead of muttering something totally unmemorable.

I know this isn't currently relevant to the thread, but I really rate him as an actor (and he's a genuine man-crush of mine too), and am now wishing I'd had a proper chat with him. Just wanted to put it out there.

Sigh...he's so rugged and dreamy ;)

Edited by mikeck at 18:15:19 01-02-2013
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 18:21:03
    Should have asked him when he's getting his teeth fixed.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Feb 2013 18:32:01 16,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    Nearly had a minor parking altercation in Sainsburys about an hour ago (just parking confusion rather than handbags) and drove off in a slight huff to find a new space. The guy was out of his car as I walked past and offered an apology for the confusion, which I accepted and made some polite reply back to...and as I finished my sentence I realised it was fucking Tom Hardy.
    Having seen him in some of his roles I have to say you're lucky the altercation wasn't something a bit more handbags! :-)

• Rens11 1 Feb 2013 18:40:09 1,385 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    KiKi's Delivery service

gorgeous as always although pacing felt a bit off at times. Phil Hartman is inspired as Jiji shame it was his last voiceover

7.2/10

Nausicaa Valley of the wind

Probably my favourite Studio Ghibli film that I've watched so far, gorgeous, great soundtrack will have to pick up the Blu Ray.

8.2/10

Judge Dredd

Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised, enjoyed the bit where the judge woman shoots the fella in the face from underneath blowing his head apart worth a watch

6.7/10

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• mikeck 1 Feb 2013 18:56:44 1,903 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Indeed!

He looked pretty slimmed down actually though* - not like his Warrior/TDKR phase.

*(Absolutely not saying I could take him)
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Feb 2013 19:04:51 16,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep Indeed!

He looked pretty slimmed down actually though* - not like his Warrior/TDKR phase.

I'm not sure, I reckon it'd be quite a fight, your inside fighting might surprise him, couple of kidney shots and he'd be down ;-)

• mikeck 1 Feb 2013 19:47:11 1,903 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    mikeck wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep Indeed!

I'm not sure, I reckon it'd be quite a fight, your inside fighting might surprise him, couple of kidney shots and he'd be down ;-)
    Nah. Did you see those knockouts in Warrior (real of course) ;)
  • sirtacos 2 Feb 2013 01:12:25 7,268 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Argo
    Feel it's a bit of a stretch for this to be being considered in the Best Picture category though. Felt a little lightweight for that IMHO.

Still recommended though.

8/10
    The sheer nail-biting suspense of it, coupled with the humour (the events portrayed are absurd, and the film totally acknowledges that), won me over completely.

The more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to call it a minor masterpiece. It's rare that someone can make a politically charged 'true story' without becoming po-faced, taking sides*, or becoming bogged down in details.
    Also, it's not often you see a film where the protagonist is a secret agent but doesn't pew pew.

*Calling Argo 'apolitical' is a stretch, but its portrayal of the Islamic Revolutionists is restrained. They still come off as cunty, though, which I think is fair.

Edited by sirtacos at 01:17:14 02-02-2013
  • Tonka 2 Feb 2013 10:52:45 20,011 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hesher
    This would be the worst film I've ever seen if it wasn't for the fact that I turned it off after one hour and read the plot summary on Wikipedia instead.

Nothing works.

To be avoided

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tom_Servo 2 Feb 2013 13:10:48 17,319 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Once Upon a Time in America - 10/10

This was the 229 minute 'complete' version. Absolutely astonishing film-making. Definitely up there with The Godfather Part II. Reading the Wiki after watching it I was really disappointed to read about the studio meddling that destroyed the film in America. Even at around three and a half hours long it felt like there was some bits missing (the longer version that will hopefully be with us one day suggests so too), so I can't even imagine what cutting it down to around two hours would do.

I'm assuming the mess the studio made of the US theatrical release has meant you don't really hear it mentioned that much in discussions of top gangster films (or top films, frankly). A real shame.
  • CosmicFuzz 2 Feb 2013 13:15:23 23,188 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    End of Watch

Pretty good. Banter between the two cops was best thing about it. Why do baddies have cameras? Who was filming the sex scene? So many questions.

7/10

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Page

of 2705 First / Last