Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2094

• Page

of 2861 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 17:27:45 8,255 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The problem with Shyamalan was that he pigeonholed himself into making "twist" movies, to the point that people weren't watching the movies so much as they were looking for clues as to what the twist would be.

Him being a bit of a cock was also a problem.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 17:31:26
    To be fair Hitchcock was known for the same thing, but seemed to do ok,
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 17:35:20
    Hitchcock often subverted himself, though. I know we discussed it a few pages back, but The Birds has literally no twist whatsoever.

And he was a fantastic director anyway, whereas Shyamalan is just a bit one-note.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 17:35:22 8,255 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, I'll go out on a limb here and say that Hitchcock was probably more talented. But yeah, fair play.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 17:36:30 8,255 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I guess The Happening doesn't really have one either. Unless there not being an explanation counts as a twist

Edited by Mola_Ram at 17:39:20 31-01-2013
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 17:39:45 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I guess The Happening doesn't really have one either.
    I thought the cause of what happened was the twist?
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 17:46:15
    There was an explanation in The Happening. Nature rejected mankind and started killing them with neurotoxins. It's fucking stupid, though.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 17:48:32 8,255 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hrm, must have forgotten that bit. Or stopped watching before that, I forget.

Oh well. Hilariously shite film regardless.
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 17:49:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your best bet is to turn off his movies about 15 minutes before they end.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 17:59:47
    Sings twist is a subverted one in a similar way to the Birds. I'm fairly sure M Night had Hitchock in mind for a few of his films.

The Happening is so bad it's good, definitely. Absolutely hilarious film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2r_qjEHf7c

I quite like a few M Night's films though. Haven't seen Airbender although I hear it is genuinely appalling.
  • Derblington 31 Jan 2013 18:05:53 22,276 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whoever told you that is a genuine friend. Don't do it.
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 18:08:07
    Signs' twist was awful. It was more War of the Worlds than Hitchcock, only it didn't really do that very well anyway.

ALIENS ARE LETHALLY ALLERGIC TO WATER

ALIENS INVADE A PLANET 2/3RDS WATER WITH COMPLEX IRRIGATION AND WEATHER PATTERNS

ALIENS ARE BASICALLY FUCKING IDIOTS

The only clever thing about the film is all the signposting it actually does (not just for the aliens themselves, but for all the little incidental details too), with an underlying current of precognition/faith/whatever, but the whole alien/water thing is just so monumentally stupid it ruins it completely.

Edited by meme at 18:08:54 31-01-2013
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 18:16:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What were the aliens doing anyway? They seemed to be slinking around in the shadows more than trying to take over the planet, from what I remember... which isn't much.
  • BinaryBob101 31 Jan 2013 18:27:41 24,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're going to watch Airbender, then watch the animated family show instead. It's leagues ahead in quality.

The sequel, Korra, is great too.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Mola_Ram 31 Jan 2013 19:51:07 8,255 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My favorite Signs bit was the secret method to beating the aliens as conveyed by Mel Gibson's dead wife: beating them with a fucking baseball bat.
  • Lotos8ter 31 Jan 2013 19:56:53 2,366 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty 9/10

Really well acted and directed. Wasn't showy or flash, just one woman's amazing determination and professionalism paying off. Hugely enjoyable.

Fiat Lux

• warlockuk 31 Jan 2013 22:30:06 19,223 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Safety not guaranteed. 8/10. Surprisingly enjoyable.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• coastal 31 Jan 2013 22:50:19 5,390 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, +1 for Safety. Apart from the bloke from the sitcom doing his sitcom shtick. Lead weirdo guy plays it superbly.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Scurrminator 31 Jan 2013 23:35:58 8,465 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    21 Jump Street
    8/10
    Actually very good and funny. I was shocked.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Kosmoz 31 Jan 2013 23:55:43 7,768 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    21 Jump Street
    8/10
    Actually very good and funny. I was shocked.
    The opinion of almost everyone who watched the film, myself included.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• QotSAfan 1 Feb 2013 00:10:16 1,756 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Signs' twist was awful. It was more War of the Worlds than Hitchcock, only it didn't really do that very well anyway.

ALIENS ARE LETHALLY ALLERGIC TO WATER

ALIENS INVADE A PLANET 2/3RDS WATER WITH COMPLEX IRRIGATION AND WEATHER PATTERNS

ALIENS ARE BASICALLY FUCKING IDIOTS

The only clever thing about the film is all the signposting it actually does (not just for the aliens themselves, but for all the little incidental details too), with an underlying current of precognition/faith/whatever, but the whole alien/water thing is just so monumentally stupid it ruins it completely.
    I remember reading some fan theory that said that the aliens were actually demons. Was really convincing actually. Then again I havent watched Signs in years and all this depends on how talented you think the guy is.

A bit like the dilemma when you realise Ironic by Alanis Morissette contains absolutely no irony thus becoming ironic due to said virtue. Is that cleverness or accidental genius?!
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 02:55:26
    I think he's talented, but overrated. Plus his habit of inserting himself into vital plot points in his movies screams of ego - worst of all in Lady in the Water, where he's a guy who literally changes the entire world. Though, perhaps ironically, I also think that's his most underrated film.
  • evild_edd 1 Feb 2013 07:57:46 3,198 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Sings twist is a subverted one in a similar way to the Birds. I'm fairly sure M Night had Hitchock in mind for a few of his films.

The Happening is so bad it's good, definitely. Absolutely hilarious film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2r_qjEHf7c

I quite like a few M Night's films though. Haven't seen Airbender although I hear it is genuinely appalling.
    LOL - that's hilarious! I must get round to seeing this!

FWIW, I loved The Sixth Sense, and enjoyed Unbreakable and Signs. Haven't seen any since then, mind...

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• dominalien 1 Feb 2013 08:01:43 7,065 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I liked Airbender. Very nice visually. Also made me interested in the animated series, and that can only be a good thing.

PSN: DonOsito

• evild_edd 1 Feb 2013 08:05:22 3,198 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @QotSAfan

A bit like the dilemma when you realise Ironic by Alanis Morissette contains absolutely no irony....
    You're most right, but there's one exception in one of the verses:

"Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
    He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
    He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
    And as the plane crashed down he thought
    "Well isn't this nice..."
    And isn't it ironic... don't you think"

Yes, Alanis, that would indeed be ironic. Most of the other lyrics are implied/potential irony. "Rain on your wedding day" would be ironic if every day surrounding it had been glorious sunshine. "Good advice that you just didn't take" is only ironic if you'd taken and fallen for countless pieces of bad advice. I'm with you though, taken without those assumptions the song does rather fall down! :0)

Why look, it's a blog:

• evild_edd 1 Feb 2013 08:09:02 3,198 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and my main reason for visiting this thread this morning:

Argo

Took a little while to get going but enjoyed it by the end. Surprising tense and suspenseful given that you already knew how it would end. The constant mocking of Hollywood was quite enjoyable as well.

Feel it's a bit of a stretch for this to be being considered in the Best Picture category though. Felt a little lightweight for that IMHO.

Still recommended though.

8/10

Why look, it's a blog:

• warlockuk 1 Feb 2013 08:20:28 19,223 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    coastal wrote:
    Yup, +1 for Safety. Apart from the bloke from the sitcom doing his sitcom shtick. Lead weirdo guy plays it superbly.
    Yeah, the lead chick is strangely endearing, too.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• gooner77 1 Feb 2013 08:23:02 895 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looper 8\10 was very distracted by JGL being made up to look like Bruce Willis. once I got over that it was a very good film. was surprised by the lurch into telekinesis
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 10:43:34
    Event Horizon

I've seen this quite a bit over the years and love it more and more. Remember being really disappointed when it came out but now I think it's fantastic. Great cast too and while the CGI is aging badly the rest of the effects still hold up nicely. It's not scary and has the odd silly moment but somehow that no longer matters.

9/10

P.S. I'm one of the few that rate Paul w.s. Anderson as a director. Reminds me of john carpenter for some reason. Same preference for practical over digital and both directors films, even the bad ones, have an unmistakable charm.
  • LeoliansBro 1 Feb 2013 10:47:16 44,954 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What CGI is there in Event Horizon? Apart from the black circle in the core?

Edit: And the floaty stuff at the beginning, I guess.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 10:48:02 01-02-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 2861 First / Last