Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2085

• Page

of 2690 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:08:20
    The Birds -

Didn't enjoy it as much as other hitchcock films. Some stunning moments in it though, and even now effects and what not still have an impact, some brutal attacks as well.

Where it lacks, is theres no real defined reason the attacks happen, or no sub text. The film throws ups a few suggestions, but as soon as you settled on reasoning it discards them which i found quite frustrating.

Still, you can really appriciate how tHe film is put together. some great scenes, shots and tension.

6/10
  • kalel 26 Jan 2013 17:09:18 86,071 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a couple of versions of non-singing Les Mes. One is a real classic epic - six hours long or something mental like that.
  • kalel 26 Jan 2013 17:12:23 86,071 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Where it lacks, is theres no real defined reason the attacks happen, or no sub text. The film throws ups a few suggestions, but as soon as you settled on reasoning it discards them which i found quite frustrating.
    This is sort of the whole point really. The end in particular is the textbook example of how to do an intentional anti-climax.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:15:50
    joelstinton wrote:
    Not to be that guy, but there's plenty of subtext, all centred around the inter-character relationships and the balance therein. If anything, the bird attacks having literally no explanation is the point of it all in the first place.
  • kalel 26 Jan 2013 17:16:53 86,071 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's ok, I was that guy first.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:17:22
    :D
  • King_Edward 26 Jan 2013 17:18:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought it was because birds are dicks. Is that the subtext?
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:20:02
    I can see where you are coming from, but i think its been better done (since). I generally don't mind open interpreations, but with this it felt a bit off. Would love to see this on the big screen though. At the start you are led along thinking she is the reason - infringing on perhaps a marriage, but turns out she actually likes him etc, then you suspect the mother, but that idea is cast out of window, then you have the scene in the cafe where it nods to invasions of foreginers. i guess in away that the point, people will blame anything when confusion arises. The ending i actually really enjoyed, really riles up the claustaphobia.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:25:56
    Well, the metaphor is that the presence of Melanie is a threat on the harmony of Mitch's family life, with Lydia trying to hold together the family by rejecting those outside threats. The birds themselves are basically there to present this particular dynamic as destructive. There's no point searching for a reason why the birds are doing what they're doing.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:29:58
    ahh ok , i can see that side to it. thanks.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:32:21
    To be fair, I think it's one of those films that does pretty much demand repeat viewings to understand things. The first time I saw it I was annoyed at it too.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 17:35:38
    Of course some of those films do, some settle more than others. The problem with getting into films and looking at them subjectively is that you start over analysing every film. its like EVERY FILM MUST HAVE A HIDDEN MEANING! and it kind of ruins the whole film watching experience sometimes. Wish i could turn off that part of the brain sometimes.
  • altitude2k 26 Jan 2013 18:25:05 3,677 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looper - 9/10

I was convinced it was my favourite film of 2012 when I saw it at the cinema, but having just had the bluray drop through the post has confirmed it. And that's quite a feat for a year that included The Dark Knight Rises.

A truly thoughtful and intelligent film wrapped in a superbly choreographed action thriller. Perfect drop of humour ("Go to China", "I'm going to France!"), really dark moments, and never devoid of sentiment.

Acting was great. JGL doing a brilliant interpretation of a young Bruce Willis (the make up was a touch too much, but the effort does not go unappreciated). He even managed to nail Willis' signature 'I'm-in-a-sci-fi-and-I'm-so-terribly-confused' look. And that kid...where the hell do they find that much talent in a 5(?) year old?!

The ending was obvious a mile off, but it was the only real way to conclude the story and it was nothing if not satisfying. I don't agree with the criticism levelled at it.

I gave it a 9 because if I have to put a number on it I don't like to say a film is the perfect 10. But for me it certainly sits a good way between the two numbers.

Right...let's put this baby back on...
  • TOOTR 26 Jan 2013 19:03:41 9,491 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Life of Pi

Well that was absolutely beautiful and enthralling.

89%

P.S I want Ang Lee to direct Star Wars Episode 9 please!

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Lexx87 26 Jan 2013 20:25:02 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Proper entertaining that one is.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Gruff 26 Jan 2013 20:49:26 2,835 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 6/10

Despicable Psycho Child

Life if Pi 8/10 Amazing Images

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Deleted user 26 January 2013 22:14:28
    Babel (2006) 8/10

I quite liked this. You have to stick with it, and it’s not exactly uplifting, more exhausting. The different stories, connected in one way of another are more of an insight into the various lives of people around the world., rather than some sort of edge of your seat thriller, action movie.

There’s an excellent city shot at the end. As for the ending (to the story) I’m not so sure.

Other films by the same director (Alejandro González Ińárritu) I’ve seen include:

21 Grams (2003)
    Amores Perros (2000)
    Biutiful (2010)

Biutiful was probably the better of them. They all seem similar. Obviously the director has an awful lot of energy to invest in such films.

One thing can be said for Alejandro González Ińárritu, his films tend to feel more real than most. At times they almost feel like a fly on the wall of real action, rather than something that is staged. Full credit to that.

Edited by blacksea at 22:14:46 26-01-2013
  • tuff 26 Jan 2013 22:30:40 622 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Apparition
    Dreadful / 100

Although not as shit as Barricade.
  • Scurrminator 26 Jan 2013 22:57:37 8,366 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Life of Pi
    8/10
    Thoroughly enjoyed this. Some very beautiful images and a touching story. CG tiger was great.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Lexx87 26 Jan 2013 23:23:24 20,869 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Insane cgi I mean really.

Speak the truth hussy!

• disusedgenius 26 Jan 2013 23:44:15 5,188 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Brave - 4/10

Amateur hour at Pixar, it looked like. Pretty bland art direction, vapid story, not much in the way of character or personality to it and the whole freedom thing just felt shoe-horned in to provide some kind of fake gravitas. Felt more like a cheap Disney rip-off than a genuine Pizar film.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Jan 2013 00:21:40 7,257 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty -

Good film.  didn't really pick up until well past the hour point I felt.  Pretty disjointed story telling if truth be told.

Worth it for the last 25 mins which is excruciatingly exciting.

I really feel that the film is just a vehicle to carry the actual raid which is a shame as the story of how they traced USL deserved a bit more.

But then in reality they had fook all on the guy until they found the courier.

So yeah, worth a watch out of 10.
  • altitude2k 27 Jan 2013 07:38:03 3,677 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

Actually this film was well into production before the raid. They had to set it back so that they could include it once it happened.
  • GuiltySpark 27 Jan 2013 08:36:19 6,314 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Well, the metaphor is that the presence of Melanie is a threat on the harmony of Mitch's family life, with Lydia trying to hold together the family by rejecting those outside threats. The birds themselves are basically there to present this particular dynamic as destructive. There's no point searching for a reason why the birds are doing what they're doing.
    Fairly sure this is bang on. If you look at the clothes Melanie wears, they're the same colour as the lovebirds that cause all the problems, even down to the nail polish. The women as birds motif is explored in Psycho as well, with Marion 'Crane' and Norman Bates telling her she 'eats like a bird.'

It's all there, but I'm not a fan of metaphor in film; quite possibly the reason I can't stand David Lynch.

Get bent.

• Tonka 27 Jan 2013 08:56:05 19,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Skyfall

Sat first I was a bit disappointed for some reason. Felt more like your average action film than bond. But after two days I actually like it better, which is quite a feat in this day and age (TDKR I'm looking at you). And I also think it was very much a bond film.

Well worth seeing and Craig >Connery.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Maturin 27 Jan 2013 09:15:44 2,876 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Brave - 4/10

Amateur hour at Pixar, it looked like. Pretty bland art direction, vapid story, not much in the way of character or personality to it and the whole freedom thing just felt shoe-horned in to provide some kind of fake gravitas. Felt more like a cheap Disney rip-off than a genuine Pizar film.
    I liked the setup. But then the whole bear thing was totally off the wall and not the way the story should have gone at all. And even if that had been a good idea (which it wasn't) the implementation was terrible. Her mother wasn't there in the bear character at all. It was just some dumb slapstick character out of nowhere.

Pixar seems to have lost its way a bit. Cars 2 was a turd too. Meanwhile Disney in the same period made Tangled (which is excellent) and the Wreck It Ralph looks really good.

I want the Pixar back that made The Incredibles (even if - like many of its films it was a ripoff - in this case of Alan Moore's Watchmen).
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 11:26:53
    Munich (2005) 9/10

EXCELLENT!

Black September aftermath, inspired by real events during 1972. It’s a terrorist / spy thing, and it’s not glammed up Hollywood style. It is much better than that.

To be honest I had never heard of Munich. It came as part of a 3 DVD box set containing Babel, and A Mighty Heart (I haven’t watched this yet) - a bargain picked up for Ł2.50 from Cex might I add. I automatically assumed it was by some director I had never heard of. As it turns out, its directed by Steven Spielberg. They’ve captured the vibe 1972 brilliantly. Daniel Craig shows up, he is excellent, not all 007 James Bond, just an undercover guy, with a 70’s haircut. Mathieu Amalric shows up to, he’s been in a few films I’ve watch lately, he is pretty good. The special FX, most of which involve people being shot, are convincing.

Eric Bana is good to. I couldn’t place him at first, but then I remembered, he appears during Troy (2004). Also, he played the part of Mark Brandon 'Chopper' Read during Chopper (2000). He must have had to pile on the pounds for that film.
  • CharlieStCloud 27 Jan 2013 11:35:01 4,999 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Eric Bana is good too. I couldn’t place him at first, but then I remembered, he ...
    ... is the Incredible Hulk!
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 11:38:42
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Eric Bana is good too. I couldn’t place him at first, but then I remembered, he ...
    ... is the Incredible Hulk!
    I haven't seen that.
  • disusedgenius 27 Jan 2013 11:50:10 5,188 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    I liked the setup. But then the whole bear thing was totally off the wall and not the way the story should have gone at all. And even if that had been a good idea (which it wasn't) the implementation was terrible. Her mother wasn't there in the bear character at all. It was just some dumb slapstick character
    Y'see, I actually really disliked the setup anyway - it was just so by the numbers it genuinely surprised me. I mean, there were hints at something deeper (i.e. whatshername having to live with the price of having to do whatever she wanted) but they never followed though with it.

The bear/mum I actually liked as the animation was pretty nice on the character - pretty much the only one with much of a personality.

I haven't seen Cars 2 yet - I actually really liked the first so will probably give it a go. But I'm expecting that to be aimed at kids, which is why it might be pap (the stupid shitbags have no taste, after all...) but you could tell that Brave just had a very troubled production.
  • Page

of 2690 First / Last