Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2082

• Page

of 2713 First / Last

• IJ 23 Jan 2013 12:27:52 805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shame

8/10

Don't watch it if you want a lighthearted film or are in any way having a bad day or a bad time, very dark and depressing. Great acting though, I liked it.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:29:23 86,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just don't think Sheen can act. Haven't found him convincing in anything he's been in ever. He's one of the luckiest people in Hollywood to have the career he's had.

Feel sorry for his far more talented but uglier brother.
  • Deckard1 23 Jan 2013 12:31:18 27,275 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah he's not great, but Platoons the one serious role I thought he was OK in. He's not a bad comedy actor to be fair to him though.
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 12:34:23 58,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having Hot Shots as the highlight of your CV speaks volumes.

Although, fair play, his mediocre talent has paid for all the drugs and whores that he could or ever will want.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• beastmaster 23 Jan 2013 12:38:29 11,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Terminal Velocity had the best Charile Sheen line ever.

"I'm not walking penis. I'm a flying penis!".

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:44:17 86,448 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought he was more believable in Wall Street simply because it was a less demanding role. Acting a bit stressed out about money isn't such a leap as the fear of being in a jungle war.
  • Rens11 23 Jan 2013 12:57:48 1,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Porco Rosso

Not bad, started well story was promising but didn't really go anywhere

6.5/10

Blade Runner the final cut (probably)

Watched the original a few years ago but didn't pay much attention so much of this was new to me. Looks stunning considering its age, thoroughly enjoyed it will have to watch it again

9.2/10

Don’t kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he’d eat you and everyone you care about!

• kinky_mong 23 Jan 2013 17:06:53 9,997 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    Super

Finally got round to watching this thanks to a free trial of Now TV on my Xbox. Phew, the film got pretty rough towards the end. It's under the 'comedy' tab, but it's very black comedy. Enjoyed Nathan Fillion's cameo and Page put in a decent, if slightly mad, performance. Still, wasn't too long and the 90 mins seemed to fly by. Not sure if I could watch it again anytime soon though.

85%
    Watched this on Sunday as well thanks to a free NowTV trial and have pretty much the same opinion, good overall.

Also I've never really found Ellen Page that attractive before, but after her "It's all gushy" line that is no longer the case!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• -cerberus- 23 Jan 2013 17:40:54 2,475 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Phantom of the Opera

Couldn't even get through this mess. Hated every minute of it.

3/10

---

Phone Booth

Had a nice Die Hard with a Vengeance-type of thing going with The Caller and his mind games, but in the end the whole thing felt like a throwaway made-for-TV thriller.

5.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 21:03:20
    Amores Perros (2000) -/10

Two and a half hours long. The film manages to be consistent. The acting’s good too. It does what it does well. It tells three stories, all connected by the same car crash. The reality is, that’s all there is to it. None of the three stories are uplifting. To quote:

‘A horrific car accident connects three stories, each involving characters dealing with loss, regret, and life's harsh realities, all in the name of love.’

I’m not sure I could recommend this film. I questioned the relevance of the car crash, other than its excuse to tell three stories. I somehow expected more, and the film failed on that level.

Edited by blacksea at 21:05:22 23-01-2013
  • Mola_Ram 23 Jan 2013 21:12:23 7,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I could think of far worse highlights. Hot Shots was fantastic, as was the sequel. As awful as most of the things he's done since have been, he still has a couple of classics in there. Which is more than you can say for, say, Rob Schneider.
  • FutileResistor 24 Jan 2013 09:09:56 1,221 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    @marilena
    I just don't see the beauty in the style at all. I think it looks fucking dreadful =D I also think Hellboy is supposed to be slow and cumbersome in fighting style - he's all STR and not much DEX - he can't shoot for shit half the time either.
    Hollywood aside to dodge the 'pfft Hollywood' bias, I'd take the fight scenes from stuff like Mr. Vampire over CTHD any day of the week for looks and feel. Some of the unfloaty fights in CTHD were fantastic, but the horrible wire work and the story I didn't enjoy kind of killed any gain from those for me.

I'm kind of surprised I'm so lonely in being of this opinion though - I thought once the hype had died down I'd be joined by a few more (as I have been in the Nolan Batman issues).
    I feel the same, there's a lot of beauty in films like Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, etc but it doesn't come from the scenes of people flying about. I find them far too silly to the point of being jarring and taking away from the experience.

I think it's because theres not meant to be anything special about these people other than they're great warriors which obviously doesn't imbue you with magical powers. I expect there's some cultural aspect that I'm not aware of though.
    Let me supply the cultural context.

In chinese martial arts (and in fact in traditional chinese medicine) there is a concept called chi, which is a life force in the body which can be cultivated through training to enable superhuman feats. Think of it as the 'force' in the Star Wars universe and you're not far off. It would be no surprise if Lucas got his inspiration for the force from the concept of chi.

In fantasy martial arts films, one of the techniques which chi enables is 'light' kung fu, by mastering this technique you can literally make your body as light as a feather. This is why people are flying about in the films you have mentioned.

Edited by FutileResistor at 09:12:15 24-01-2013
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2013 09:17:15 20,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is that and there's also the different path films have taken.

If you start questioning unreal things then how can people shoot so many bullets on full auto in western movies? How can a car door stop an assault rifle? Why do cars spectacularly explode just for being flipped over? etc etc.

Esthetic choices.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• smoothpete 24 Jan 2013 09:18:23 31,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ip Man 2 - Not as good as the first one but still better than most kung fu movies. Plus Sammo, which is awesome. 8/10
  • Oh-Bollox 24 Jan 2013 09:18:51 5,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How can a car door stop an assault rifle?
    It wasn't thrown hard enough?
  • Dangerous_Dan 24 Jan 2013 09:22:35 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

If you start questioning unreal things then how can people shoot so many bullets on full auto in western movies? How can a car door stop an assault rifle? Why do cars spectacularly explode just for being flipped over? etc etc.

Esthetic choices.
    My favourite is the car which drives off a cliff and explodes in mid air.
  • monkman76 24 Jan 2013 09:29:33 4,009 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I could think of far worse highlights. Hot Shots was fantastic, as was the sequel. As awful as most of the things he's done since have been, he still has a couple of classics in there. Which is more than you can say for, say, Rob Schneider.
    Being compared to Rob Schneider also speaks volumes, surely.
  • FutileResistor 24 Jan 2013 09:33:22 1,221 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Esthetic choices.
    This is another issue entirely.

I'm specifically addressing Mr Brett and MetalDogs' complaints that the floating/flying about looks ridiculous because the people look like they have no weight. The complaints are ridiculous because the characters are using a martial art technique to negate their weight in that fictional universe. That's how they're able to float and fly about.

Edited by FutileResistor at 09:36:28 24-01-2013
  • Tonka 24 Jan 2013 09:40:22 20,028 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How is that "another issue entirely"?
    Reality is bent to create a more entertaining action scene.

Be it people who can run on water or people who can be thrown through a glass pane without being cut to shit.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Max_Powers 24 Jan 2013 09:59:40 1,090 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seven Psychopaths 7/10

Silly but quite entertaining really. Was expecting one of those post-modern ultraviolent flicks with black humor and unlikeable characters. Which is sort of what you get only the characters are actually likeable :)
  • smoothpete 24 Jan 2013 10:05:44 31,371 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't like that floaty wirework bollocks in kung fu movies. I much prefer something like say Ip Man or Ong Bak
  • disusedgenius 24 Jan 2013 10:10:38 5,232 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    The complaints are ridiculous because the characters are using a martial art technique to negate their weight in that fictional universe. That's how they're able to float and fly about.
    Made up waffle doesn't really stop it looking fucking stupid though.
  • Trane 24 Jan 2013 10:14:43 4,050 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I don't like that floaty wirework bollocks in kung fu movies. I much prefer something like say Ip Man or Ong Bak
    You've probably done it already, but just in case you haven't - check out The Raid.
  • Dangerous_Dan 24 Jan 2013 10:19:39 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    How is that "another issue entirely"?
    Reality is bent to create a more entertaining action scene.

Be it people who can run on water or people who can be thrown through a glass pane without being cut to shit.
    In both cases it's supernatural. Yet there is a differene in intention. Those "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" have their kind of martial arts style because it reflects chinese myths about how those ancient martial artists were able to defy the laws of physics. It's like a fairy tale in that sense.

The reason why they move around in mid-air is not because of producing an entertaining action sequence but because the myths require it.
    Like Superman flys around. Is he doing that to be more entertaining in the movie? I'd say it has that effect but in the first place he does it because that's what Superman does.

Exploding cars and assault rifles not shooting through car doors is another story because in that case there is no other reason than doing it because it looks cool and entertains the people or the guys writing the script didn't do their research well.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2013 10:23:16
    You one of those "plot hole" people on imdb aren't you?
  • nickthegun 24 Jan 2013 10:24:52 58,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I dont mind it if the film is also really fantastical otherwise, give me a Prodigal Son over a seven swords any day of the week.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• FutileResistor 24 Jan 2013 10:26:34 1,221 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka

A man with super strength, being able to climb up walls and shoot webbing because he's been bitten by a radioactive spider. People developing superpowers because of a mutant gene. People being able to float because of a martial arts technique. These are fantastical things but explained in their respective fictional universes.

A normal non-reinforced car door stopping rifle bullets, not getting cut to bits jumping through plate glass, being able to jump through that plate glass so easily in the first place and exploding cars are fantastical things which are not explained in the fictional universe.

Edited by FutileResistor at 10:30:55 24-01-2013
  • Dangerous_Dan 24 Jan 2013 10:31:00 2,380 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You one of those "plot hole" people on imdb aren't you?
    No. I don't mind bullets being stopped by car doors coming from an assault rifle. I just wrote my thoughts on where those things are coming from.

Characters being believable and interesting goes a long way with me. But those things are subjective a lot of times.
  • Load_2.0 24 Jan 2013 11:47:38 18,958 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Ip Man 2 - Not as good as the first one but still better than most kung fu movies. Plus Sammo, which is awesome. 8/10
    It has to have the most head punches ever recorded on film.
  • Page

of 2713 First / Last