Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2081

• Page

of 2803 First / Last

• sirtacos 23 Jan 2013 10:25:15 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deer Hunter

This was released in 1978? That's fucking outstanding.
    I know public opinion at that time was no longer exactly naive or jingoistic, but still... I'm impressed.

There are flaws, as with any film, but I'll skip the wannabe film-student crap and get straight to the crux of it: it's unforgettable. I'd call it a bleak portrait of PTSD, but that's too simplistic.
    Fucking great.

9/10

End of Watch

I liked it. Caused mantears.

7/10

Killing Them Softly

Great cast. Wonderful performances. Great scenes.
    Good dialogue. Bleak and very tense.

Unfortunately, the whole adds up to less than the sum of its parts.
    It's ham-fisted and preachy and the soundtrack is amateurish ("Heroin" playing during a scene where people get high on heroin. /slow clap).

7/10
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Jan 2013 11:00:47 35,719 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice, last page alone reminded me of two films I wanted to watch, Take Shelter and Snowtown Murders.

Anyway, Dial M for Murder: 8/10. Why have I never noticed before how much Ray Milland resembles James Stewart? Probably thought it was Stewart when I watched it as a kid.

• spindle9988 23 Jan 2013 11:09:09 3,626 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    The Snowtown Murders

Happy? Feeling good inside? Then this is guaranteed to make you feel the exact opposite.

nihilism/10
    I felt the same after watching it. Cant review a film like this really
  • Deckard1 23 Jan 2013 11:14:45 28,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Snowtown Murders was great as a character study, and its worth watching just for the performance of the main guy. Yeah it's uncomfortable to watch, but I'd still say it's an excellent film.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 11:33:43 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Deer Hunter

This was released in 1978? That's fucking outstanding.
    I don't really understand why you'd find that impressive. The 70s were the age of the auteur, when director's were given complete power and unthinkable budgets to make films exactly how they'd want them to be. If a film like that came out today it would be impressive, but a LOT of films like that came out in the 70s. That's what defines 70's cinema in fact.

Michael Cimino (the director of the Deer Hunter) is also by the way almost single-handily responsible for ending that glorious era by making a film so irresponsibly wasteful and laughably bad that Hollywood completely remodeled its approach to filmmaking, so two thumbs up to Michael.

I for one am not a big fan of the Deer Hunter. Some bits are excellent (the wedding and the hunting scene), other bits are massively exploitative and frankly racist (there is little if no evidence that the Vietcong treated its POWs in this way, and actually the Americans were the ones that mostly behaved appallingly towards their captives).

People rave about the Russian Roulette scene and yes, it's very tense, but then it would be really...they're playing Russian Roulette... You'd have to be a pretty fucking shit filmmaker to not make a scene about that quite tense.

It's really the performances that make that film, and that's what happens when you get De Niro, Streep, Walken and Cazale together all in their prime. Again, it would be hard to fuck that up.

So yeah, it's ok, but not all that special imho. I would choose Apocalypse Now every single time if I was to watch an epic Vietnam film.

Edited by kalel at 11:34:40 23-01-2013
  • Tonka 23 Jan 2013 11:45:05 20,825 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Last time I saw Deer Hunter I was 14 and found it extremely boring. Now I can't find the time to see it in one sitting so not sure if it's a good idea.

What film is it that ended the 70's way of film @kalel? Deer Hunter?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• kalel 23 Jan 2013 11:48:05 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heaven's Gate.
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2013 11:50:32 4,796 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Edited by monkman76 at 11:51:03 23-01-2013
  • Deckard1 23 Jan 2013 11:50:52 28,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thank god something did or we wouldn't have had the 80's, which is regarded by most people in the know, as the first great decade of cinema.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 11:53:30 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You have Lucas to thank for that. So you love Lucas. You think Lucas is the best director ever. Episode 1 is your favourite film.

Edited by kalel at 11:53:45 23-01-2013
  • sirtacos 23 Jan 2013 11:53:37 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My knowledge of film history amounts to shit, so I thought it was impressive that a film so bleak would be released so soon after the end of US military involvement in Vietnam.

I do agree that many parts of Deer Hunter seem dated, overly dramatic and contrived. I think the racism in DH is run-of-the-mill stereotyping, and not extraordinary for a war movie. Contemporary films contain worse examples of casual racism than the Deer Hunter did (e.g. Machine Gun Preacher. Shitty film, bad comparison, but it popped to mind so I decided to mention it).

Anyway I'm not aware of any decent Vietnam films aside from Platoon (which is trite and overindulgent compared to Deer Hunter, IMO), Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now (which was also an indulgent, wasteful, 'auteur' film). Though I do grant that Apocalypse Now is leagues ahead of Deer Hunter. It's superb, and google just informed me that it was released in 1979.

Anyway 9 is probably too generous, but I was captivated and moved, so fuck it.

I heard Bridge on the River Kwai was decent, but my knowledge of Viet films ends there.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:58:23 23-01-2013
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 11:58:36 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry for getting ranty. Just don't like the Deer Hunter :)

Apocalypse Now is indeed the very definition of an indulgent long auteur film, but at the same time it does all the things a film of that type should - it's experimental, it's challenging, it weirdly engrossing, it's memorable, it's disturbing, it's fucking bonkers.

The opening scene sums it up - Michael Sheen gets utterly wankered on set, stumbles around naked and puches a mirror severing his hand. And that's the footage they use for the opening scene. Amazing! :D

Deer Hunter is just so po-faced and earnest - and the whole thing they're being po-faced and earnest about is kind of just a made up lie based on American propaganda and racism. Dunno. I really struggle with it.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 11:59:08 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    River Kwai is WW2, but ace!
  • sirtacos 23 Jan 2013 11:59:45 7,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck. Just googled it and realised my stupidity.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:00:42 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it is set in Burma, so I get why you'd think that.
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2013 12:02:56 4,796 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thailand actually, oi bin there.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:05:11 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's about building the Burma railway.

Maybe it was filmed in Thailand?
  • disusedgenius 23 Jan 2013 12:06:39 5,439 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I do agree that many parts of Deer Hunter seem dated, overly dramatic and contrived. I think the racism in DH is run-of-the-mill stereotyping, and not extraordinary for a war movie. Contemporary films contain worse examples of casual racism than the Deer Hunter did (e.g. Machine Gun Preacher. Shitty film, bad comparison, but it popped to mind so I decided to mention it).
    It's also worth baring in mind that the director had his own personal Vietnam daemons which seemed to come into play with Deer Hunter. Certainly seemed to have a fair bit of baggage on the DVD commentary.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:06:40 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually apparently you're right. Burma railway but in Thailand.

Filmed in Sri Lanka apparently.
  • monkman76 23 Jan 2013 12:06:58 4,796 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The bridge is over the river Kwai, in a Thai town called Kanchanaburi. Google it! The railway runs to Burma but the bridge is in Thailand.
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:09:58 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I got there in the end ^^

As for other films other than the ones you mention Sirtacos, you've got the main big hitters. Hamburger Hill is also pretty good. Killing Fields is great but a bit different (and strictly about Cambodia). MASH is "about" Vietnam, but set in the Korean War...if that makes sense. Tigerland is ok ish.

Er...First Blood?
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 12:15:24 60,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good Morning Vietnam

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 23 Jan 2013 12:16:46 44,512 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forrest Gump.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mikeck 23 Jan 2013 12:16:48 1,936 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Apocalypse Now is the pinnacle for me, but Platoon and Full Metal Jacket are right up there for me too.
  • LeoliansBro 23 Jan 2013 12:17:43 44,512 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And Bat 2-0 is a great little film IMO.

What was the one where Christian Bale got shot down and dicked about in a ditch getting sick?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kalel 23 Jan 2013 12:19:15 88,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like FMJ - and it does the whole "Vietcong were cunts" thing with a much higher level of sensitivity and truth.

Never been sure about Platoon. Berrenger and Defoe are awesome but Sheen is so super lame.
  • Deckard1 23 Jan 2013 12:21:34 28,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I kinda like Sheen in Platoon.
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 12:22:10 60,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its FMJ for me. Not just a favourite vietnam movie but a favourite movie in its own right.

Platoon is OK but it seems a bit straight to video compared to the 'big' names, if that makes any sense.

• nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 12:23:33 60,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh, Air America. What a shitter that is.

Jacobs Ladder: Was a cult movie when I was at school, for some reason, but not so great when you watch it now.

• Trane 23 Jan 2013 12:25:13 4,056 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hamburger Hill is a good 'un.
  • Page

of 2803 First / Last