Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2080

• Page

of 2710 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 16:50:53 6,987 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, if you don't think it's beautiful, there's not much else to be said. You just don't get along with that style, and that's perfectly fine! :)
  • RobAnybody 21 Jan 2013 17:02:05 881 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Count me is as another who hates the 'floating fighting' style as seen in CTHD. It's just bloody awful and detracting. I like to see fights with energy and inertia, not 'floaty wirework'. :)
  • Mr-Brett 21 Jan 2013 17:23:34 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    @marilena
    I just don't see the beauty in the style at all. I think it looks fucking dreadful =D I also think Hellboy is supposed to be slow and cumbersome in fighting style - he's all STR and not much DEX - he can't shoot for shit half the time either.
    Hollywood aside to dodge the 'pfft Hollywood' bias, I'd take the fight scenes from stuff like Mr. Vampire over CTHD any day of the week for looks and feel. Some of the unfloaty fights in CTHD were fantastic, but the horrible wire work and the story I didn't enjoy kind of killed any gain from those for me.

I'm kind of surprised I'm so lonely in being of this opinion though - I thought once the hype had died down I'd be joined by a few more (as I have been in the Nolan Batman issues).
    I feel the same, there's a lot of beauty in films like Crouching Tiger, House of Flying Daggers, Hero, etc but it doesn't come from the scenes of people flying about. I find them far too silly to the point of being jarring and taking away from the experience.

I think it's because theres not meant to be anything special about these people other than they're great warriors which obviously doesn't imbue you with magical powers. I expect there's some cultural aspect that I'm not aware of though.

Portable view - Never forget.

• -cerberus- 21 Jan 2013 20:29:53 2,456 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Silent Hill Revelation

No, I didn't expect it to be good but this is a fucking turd.

-/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 20:41:47
    Sean Bean is genuinely a bit of a strange one. Every time he heads towards A-List fame he suddenly sinks back into straight-to-video rubbish.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 21:22:05
    Hell Ride (2008) 7/10

During one scene a barmaid bends over to pick up a beer, and The Gent (Michael Madsen) says Ďwhat-a-country..í - that pretty much sums up this film. Then again, thatís what Hell Rise wants to be. As the film cover states Ďfully loaded with bikers, babes and boozeí. Forget the story, that doesnít cunt, i mean count. Itís just a film filled with driven-in-movie vibes. Screwed up colour timing and all that stuff. It stars some big names, Dennis Hopper, Michael Madsen, David Carradine, Larry Bishop, Vinnie Jones, and Executive Producer Quentin Tarantino. Iíll be honest, under normal circumstances the DVD cover with itís bikers would make me run a mile. Slap the words Quentin Tarantino over the front and Iím attract like a bee is to a flower.

Hell Ride does what it does well. Itís not deep, its not meaningful. Itís entertaining for a while. To be fair, the 76min runtime flashes by. Itís borderline ridiculous humorous stuff.

Special mention goes to the audio. Thereís lots of snippets of music I loved..

Edited by blacksea at 22:12:37 21-01-2013
  • Tom_Servo 21 Jan 2013 22:06:36 17,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Take Shelter - 7/10

Takes an idea that could easily be terrible (hell, look at something like Knowing for a not dissimilar premise) but handles it in a mature and interesting way. Very well acted too, both Shannon and Chastain are awesome. I've only seen Chastain in this and The Tree of Life, but she's very good isn't she?
  • beastmaster 21 Jan 2013 22:31:19 11,190 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Double - 5/10

Distinctly average spook film in which the CIA and FBI team up to catch a Soviet assassin who resurfaces suddenly after 20 years.

This is the sort of film that would get shown on TV on a Saturday afternoon after an episode of Columbo. It's not bad, just very average and a bit bland despite having some great ideas.

The hunt for the assassin has a No Way Out kind of vibe to it. What this film does have going for it is that there is a stunningly obvious plot twist that you can pretty much guess right from the go. It delivers this 'twist' very early on so you're wondering where it's going to go next. Then there's another twist which changes the film from a hunt into a came of cat-and-mouse.

The final twist though is so utterly ridiculous it's totally laughable. It's almost at the end of the film though so you don't have to sit through it too much longer.

One of those films that's 'watchable' meaning it won't bore you to death and keeps you vaguely interested but does nothing else. Instantly forgettable fodder that's no that entertaining. If you were watching this with a hangover from hell you probably wouldn't bother switching the channel.

Red Lights - 7/10

Decent thriller that's worth a watch about a group of physicists who investigate a world renowned psychic who they think to be a fraud.

The less you know abut this film when you see it the better. It's got a good script, a terrific cast and a gripping plot.

I'm too tired to do a full review of this and I want to watch Sand Sharks.

It's good. Watch it. you may well like it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Blakester 22 Jan 2013 09:14:36 3,578 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:

Red Lights - 7/10

Decent thriller that's worth a watch about a group of physicists who investigate a world renowned psychic who they think to be a fraud.

The less you know abut this film when you see it the better. It's got a good script, a terrific cast and a gripping plot.

I'm too tired to do a full review of this and I want to watch Sand Sharks.

It's good. Watch it. you may well like it.
    I pretty much agree with your score but don't quite share your overall positivity.

I think the first two acts are excellent and really set the scene for what you hope will be a dramatic climax. I think the problem is that the director bungled the ending horribly. He seemed to be going for a sixth-sense type reveal, but didn't pull it off so the time invested seemed wasted.

Still worth a watch, but could have been so much better.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 09:20:38 27,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Its one of those endings that's so spectacularly shit that it ruins everything that happened before it. I'd struggle to give it 5/10. See also Kill List.
  • kalel 22 Jan 2013 09:22:06 86,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also the thing about De Niro not being blind was the most ridiculously obvious twist. I literally guessed it the very first shot of him.

Totally agree about the Sixth Sense type twist being stupid as well.
  • Blakester 22 Jan 2013 09:28:12 3,578 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So against my better judgement I watched Anchorman last night. It's one of those films that friends and colleagues have been banging on about so much that I was determined not to watch it just out of principle :-)

Early signs were not good as the first 10 minutes barely registered a chuckle, however as soon as Christina Applegate joins the news team it seems to hit its stride and just about passes the 6 laugh benchmark.

Good fun, but not the comedy tour-de-force I had been told it was. Then again, it's basically the same people that go nuts over Zoolander and I think that's virtually laugh-free.

75%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 09:52:13
    Django Unchained- 10/10

I loved it and couldn't fault it at all. The scene where they are talking about the bags on their heads is genius.
  • TheSaint 22 Jan 2013 10:05:48 14,201 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    So against my better judgement I watched Anchorman last night. It's one of those films that friends and colleagues have been banging on about so much that I was determined not to watch it just out of principle :-)

Early signs were not good as the first 10 minutes barely registered a chuckle, however as soon as Christina Applegate joins the news team it seems to hit its stride and just about passes the 6 laugh benchmark.

Good fun, but not the comedy tour-de-force I had been told it was. Then again, it's basically the same people that go nuts over Zoolander and I think that's virtually laugh-free.

75%
    I'm not sure what's worse, counting the number of times you laugh or having a laugh benchmark that films have to pass.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 10:15:17
    Don't think theres nothing worse going into a film with expectations. Anchorman is a very funny film, but its like 8 years old now. You obviously had loads of people bang on how great it is, so you go in wanting to pick it apart. Theres been a load of shit will ferrel movies since which doesn't help.

I been trying to see films at the cinema now without listening to reviews. its hard as i live in the middle of no where and we don't get films straight away (we are getting lincoln next week though! but no sign of django unchained)

Edited by joelstinton at 10:15:39 22-01-2013
  • -cerberus- 22 Jan 2013 12:00:36 2,456 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Red Lights

Huge disappointment. It took a firm nosedive when Margaret died and the story went down the crapper. It should've ended with a title card saying: "Psychics are fucking frauds. It is your duty to kidnap and feed them to piranhas."

3/10

• jellyhead 22 Jan 2013 12:15:11 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Blakester
    Why'd you have to say that? You come out with stink like that. Poop.
    You poopmouth, with poop out of your mouth!

I love the Anchorman and i'm looking forward to the new one but i agree with Zoolander. Didn't really rate it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Blaketown 22 Jan 2013 12:35:42 4,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook 76%
    I was worried going in to this but ended up really enjoying it. Bradley Cooper is surprisingly good and it wasn't nearly as "kooky!" as I'd feared. Charming is probably the best way to describe it.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 22 Jan 2013 13:00:42 86,409 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'm not sure what's worse, counting the number of times you laugh or having a laugh benchmark that films have to pass.
    I think he's referencing the Mark Kermode thing about laughing five (I think) times in the fim or it's not a comedy, which isn't entirely serious.

I did the same kind of thing with Anchorman, watched it for the frist time recently and kind of got it, but also kind of didn't.

It's a zeitgeist thing really. It's the kind of thing I'd have loved as a student and would have enjoyed repeatedly watching whilst being mashed and quoting it lots and all that. It has a bit of a cult around it and that's all part of the fun. I don't think it quite holds up as a standalone comedy with none of that around it, but it's not awful either. I pretty much agree with Blakester basically.
  • evild_edd 22 Jan 2013 13:16:51 3,017 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a zeitgeist thing really. It's the kind of thing I'd have loved as a student and would have enjoyed repeatedly watching whilst being mashed and quoting it lots and all that. It has a bit of a cult around it and that's all part of the fun. I don't think it quite holds up as a standalone comedy....
    So many American comedies fall into that category, IMHO. Happy Gilmore is another classic example - watched that so many times drunk/hungover at UNi', but outside that environment it doesn't hold up. Anything starring Sandler, Ferrel, and/or Stiller fits that category for me. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 16:59:43
    Withnail & I

Extremely funny. Fantastic script

8/10

Edited by joelstinton at 16:59:56 22-01-2013
  • Dave_McCoy 22 Jan 2013 19:54:56 2,771 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Super

Finally got round to watching this thanks to a free trial of Now TV on my Xbox. Phew, the film got pretty rough towards the end. It's under the 'comedy' tab, but it's very black comedy. Enjoyed Nathan Fillion's cameo and Page put in a decent, if slightly mad, performance. Still, wasn't too long and the 90 mins seemed to fly by. Not sure if I could watch it again anytime soon though.

85%
  • Trowel 22 Jan 2013 20:00:10 17,447 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember seeing Cable Guy in the cinema and half an hour in, as the crushing realism set hold, deciding to count the number of times I laughed - got to 3 in the end.
  • captainrentboy 22 Jan 2013 20:05:00 963 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    @Blakester
    Why'd you have to say that? You come out with stink like that. Poop.
    You poopmouth, with poop out of your mouth!

I love the Anchorman and i'm looking forward to the new one but i agree with Zoolander. Didn't really rate it.
    Of all the Anchorman quotes, that's the one I say to the wifey most, as I thought it was one of the lesser used/acknowledged ones.
    Damn you!! :)
    Anchorman is easily one of my favourite comedies, and because I'm super cool and a trend setter I actually liked it before it became hip to like it (I was one of the 50 that saw it in the cinema) the problem is no other comedy since then has managed that same genius level of improv randomness (Step Brothers and Eastbound&Down came close) I honestly don't think they'll be able to capture that magic again, I have a feeling the sequel will just go through the motions and be a tad shitty.

Edited by captainrentboy at 20:16:29 22-01-2013
  • ronuds 22 Jan 2013 20:07:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love Cable Guy.

I love lamp too.
  • Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 20:23:31 27,220 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cable Guy is great.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 22:32:49
    The Grey.

A bit of a weird one this. Its wears its idea on its sleeve so blatantly, but at the same time i guess it doesn't really fall into convential hollywood survival films, giving us a sombre tale of men who set off to die (before they even crash in the plane) and kind of does it quite well in the end.

6/10 (which makes the 8/10 i gave for whithnail and i a bit silly)
  • Savatage 22 Jan 2013 23:20:06 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Sightseers 8/10

Blackly funny comedy about a couple who go on a caravan holiday - and embark on a killing spree. Best line: "He wasn't a person, he was a Daily Mail reader."
  • GuiltySpark 22 Jan 2013 23:51:06 6,323 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just watched Reservoir Dogs at the cinema.

Just amazing, so much with so little. Tim Roth's 'anecdote' being possibly the highlight, beautifully directed.

9/10

Get bent.

• -cerberus- 23 Jan 2013 00:20:32 2,456 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Snowtown Murders

Happy? Feeling good inside? Then this is guaranteed to make you feel the exact opposite.

nihilism/10

• Page

of 2710 First / Last