Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2078

• Page

of 2843 First / Last

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 09:24:02 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Making amazing films dur

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• craigy Staff 21 Jan 2013 09:33:18 7,775 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Making good films, I think.
  • glaeken 21 Jan 2013 09:39:18 11,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another Earth - 5/10 - Not sure it really worked for me. It seemed to be going somewhere but never got there.
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 09:40:12 19,382 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I read that he can do that trick where you pick a card and put it in the pack and he'll find it, so there you go - two tricks at least.
  • Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 09:42:04 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bet he can do that one where it looks like you're pulling the end off your thumb off as well. Everyone can do that.

• Tonka 21 Jan 2013 09:43:03 21,177 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    What one trick is that?
    The scene where one party knows what the other party is up to but toys with them like a cat with a mouse. Waltz is brilliant as the cat.

I love it. But like cheese there is only so much you can have.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mikeeeboy1 21 Jan 2013 09:48:19 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    @Mikeeeboy1

I recommend the recent film they've made of Midnight's Children. I reckon you'd really enjoy it.
    Why would you think I would enjoy that?
  • BinaryBob101 21 Jan 2013 12:36:58 24,084 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lots of action and 'splosions, duh, innit.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 12:39:03 44,737 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pontypool. 5/10, low budget, single concept and flat horror film without scares. And even for a zombie film the concept is ridiculous.

Primer. 8/10. Lower budget but so much more imagination. Proper mindfuck, following the twists and turns in this is like trying to figure out who is The Thing in Carpenter's version. Watch it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Garlvinlandblueblood 21 Jan 2013 12:46:31 446 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tonka

I'm not sure to be honest, just something more exciting than a big explosion and the 1 in 10,000 speech. Something completely out of left field like the end of Basterds. With the dancing horse, keep that.

After such a confrontational (in a good way) movie, it just felt anticlimactic. 5 mins after the bloodbath rather than 20 would have been perfect imo.
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 13:10:15 21,177 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Garlvinlandblueblood I liked the trick he pulled with the wanted poster. And for that to work the rest had to be there. I agree that its a bit like the double trip to Treasure Island in PotC part 1. (except PotC really sank because of it). He needs to go back and free her AGAIN!?

QT really painted himself into a corner. Either he could do the dinner scene scam or a clever trick to fool some slavers. Not both. And then he did both.

• RyanDS 21 Jan 2013 13:29:15 9,731 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dredd

Enjoyed this at the cinema, and even moreso at home. Quite enjoyed pausing and reading the graffiti and seeing all the easter eggs I missed the first time around. Clearly a labour of love.

10/10
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 13:35:28 21,177 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro The most solid of the Primer explanations.

• Blakester 21 Jan 2013 14:05:42 3,652 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Dredd

Enjoyed this at the cinema, and even moreso at home. Quite enjoyed pausing and reading the graffiti and seeing all the easter eggs I missed the first time around. Clearly a labour of love.

10/10
    Having watched this last night, I just can't see how it is a 10/10 film. Heck I'd struggle to give it more than 7.

Aside from one or two neat visual flourishes, there's absolutely nothing there that hasn't be done before (and in many cases better). Not helped by the fact that The Raid is virtually the same set-up but infinitely more exciting and tense. It's also another film that uses the cut-price Anne Hathaway, who then goes on to deliver a budget performance.

I have to wonder if all the positive reaction is actually just relief that someone managed not to fuck up a Dredd film.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 14:08:56 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dredd

10/10

• imamazed 21 Jan 2013 14:09:28 5,902 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Go (1999)

Has a cool, if not unique, premise and is generally speaking satisfying. A lot of the plot in the second act seems superfluous however, and not all of it ties in neatly with the finale. Timothy Olyphant has a strong presence in the film; perhaps not the most versatile of actors, but definitely under rated. Worth Watching.

3*

Edited by imamazed at 14:10:07 21-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 14:12:00 44,737 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @LeoliansBro The most solid of the Primer explanations.
    So Abe invents the box. Abe2 exits and breaks the box. He is a silent observer. He keeps a safety box in a storage unit and builds up money.Instead of inventing time travel in the first week of February, Abe's interference postpones his progress until March. Only when things go wrong in early March will Abe use his fail-safe and learn, as in the end of the film, that Aaron3 is already there.(A fail-safe that is coffin-sized is only useful for a few days at a time) Why? When Abe2 steps out of the box and breaks it, Aaron from the future (from 6 hours to four days) has already exited before him and insured that he has the upper hand. So, Abe builds the box, Aaron3 exits, steals a passport and moves to France, building a box the size of a house. Perhaps somewhere in the middle of March, he goes back several weeks, and arrives back on the scene around March1, 2001. You may say that we should call him Aaron2, the one that leaves to build the large box. It is, in a sense. Aaron returns as Aaron3 due to using the giant box. Thus he enters and exits, depending on your point of view. Truly brilliant of Carruth here.
    Well, that's that cleared up then.

• RyanDS 21 Jan 2013 14:18:36 9,731 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    Dredd

10/10
    Having watched this last night, I just can't see how it is a 10/10 film. Heck I'd struggle to give it more than 7.

Aside from one or two neat visual flourishes, there's absolutely nothing there that hasn't be done before (and in many cases better). Not helped by the fact that The Raid is virtually the same set-up but infinitely more exciting and tense. It's also another film that uses the cut-price Anne Hathaway, who then goes on to deliver a budget performance.

I have to wonder if all the positive reaction is actually just relief that someone managed not to fuck up a Dredd film.
    Give it 2 bonus points as I am a Dredd comics fan if you like. My freind rated it 8/10 having a passing acquaintance only with 2000AD.
  • Khanivor 21 Jan 2013 14:18:40 41,115 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Primer is awesome.
  • dwalker109 21 Jan 2013 14:21:50 23 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've been lurking in here for a while and picked up some good recommendations, so here goes...

Life of Pi

Enjoyable, visually very impressive and somewhat thought provoking. Couldn't help but think that it wasn't quite as clever as it thought it was but that's probably the source material's fault.

8/10

Edited by dwalker109 at 14:22:36 21-01-2013
  • afghan_jones 21 Jan 2013 14:34:23 3,042 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The Matrix
    A true classic. Hasn't aged one bit. This will be around long after people have forgottenabout Lincoln or Life of Pi.

It took me back to 1999 when I forst saw it and how completely revolutionary it was. So many things it did for the first time in a western mainstream film.

I tried to think of a film that has done something similar since and couldn't come up with one. It's also funny to see how Inception riffs on the Matrix but is a much worse film because of no originality.

Everything (including Keanu) is top notch

A must see
    Rally? I mean, I love the film, but I do find it extremely dated. Not in terms of the effects or action or anything, I agree those are still top notch. But the trenchcoats, shades, techno, giant boots, leather and rubber outfits, and the whole 'hacker' thing all feel really millenial to me.

Still great though. And even leaving bullet time aside, its very influential. I think every film since with a hint of alternate reality about it has been called 'the new matrix'
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 14:53:55
    Matrix has entered that awkward phase of being a bit dated looking without quite looking classic yet, but it'll get there. I remember when Bladerunner and Terminator both looked horrible.
  • Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 14:58:12 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blade Runner never looked horrible you maniac!!

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 14:59:37
    It looked very 80s in a bad way at one point.
  • Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 15:01:37 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nuh uh

• LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 15:08:28 44,737 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Morpheus running to make the leap to the helicopter never looked good in the first place. Nor did a lot of the dojo training wirework, especially with Keanu Reeves.

edit: And let's not go into the crapness that was the effects for the sequels.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:08:59 21-01-2013

• MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:12:56 23,876 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How do people feel about stuff like Crouching Tiger now that some time has passed?
    Because when I saw that, all could think the whole way through was 'This wirework is fucking terrible, why is everyone raving about it?'

I mean, the whole art of wirework is not to look like wirework, I would have thought and Crouching Tiger failed HARD at that.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 15:16:10 29,181 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I still like wire work like that. It has an aesthetic beauty, and was never supposed to look realistic.

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 15:18:01 7,994 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's a wuxia movie. People are supposed to fly around.
  • MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:18:52 23,876 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can stand lack of realism - watched Hellboy 2 last night and there was a lot of unrealistic wire action in that - but it still looked good. It didn't have the amateur production of Peter Pan type wirework that Crouching Tiger suffers from.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Page

of 2843 First / Last