Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2073

• Page

of 2842 First / Last

• mikeck 16 Jan 2013 10:54:11 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CaptainKid wrote:

You can't give Dredd a 9 since Aliens or Robocop which are clearly MUCH better films can get at most a 10 (99%)

This is not an opinion this is a fact.
    Subjective.

Film taste is fucking opinion you bellend. Who gives a fuck if somebody else gave Dredd a 9/10, they may (heaven forbid!) like it more than Aliens or Robocop, and if you don't like it (that's fine) but it doesn't make them wrong. That's fact.
  • Blakester 16 Jan 2013 11:14:07 3,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Is anyone watching anything other than Dredd?
    I shall be watching it this week. From what I've read, it has a very similar storyline to The Raid, which was one of my favourite films from last year.

I'll be surprised if it's as good as that, but I retain an open mind.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Tonka 16 Jan 2013 11:30:09 21,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Blakester THANK YOU!

I was wondering what that film was called the other day. I remember thinking that the trailers looked like they had similar story and that a lot of people on here ware raving about both of them.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• speedofthepuma 16 Jan 2013 11:49:05 13,310 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rise of the Guardians 9/10

Great to see a genuine children's adventure. There were some amusing moments in it, but it is not a comedy. The animation was suburb. Watched it in 3D and once my brain stopped hurting and just accepted it, that aspect worked quite well.

Casting very good, although I agreed with my wife that it was annoying to see Father Christmas sporting tattoos.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Blakester 16 Jan 2013 11:53:08 3,651 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Rise of the Guardians 9/10

Great to see a genuine children's adventure. There were some amusing moments in it, but it is not a comedy. The animation was suburb. Watched it in 3D and once my brain stopped hurting and just accepted it, that aspect worked quite well.

Casting very good, although I agreed with my wife that it was annoying to see Father Christmas sporting tattoos.
    My kids enjoyed it a lot, but I can't deny it contradicted a lot of their beliefs and therefore we were fielding questions for days afterwards.

- Why don't the elves make the toys?
    - Why does the moon control the guardians?
    - Why is the sandman and why doesn't he talk?
    - Why is the Easter Bunny so moody all the time?

ENOUGH ALREADY!

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• speedofthepuma 16 Jan 2013 12:04:42 13,310 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I got:
    "is Jack Frost for real, as in really real?"

"Is Jack Frost now a guardian like the others, in real life, genuinely?"

Basically the problem being that films can be fictional, but Father Christmas is real, so how does that work?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Blaketown 16 Jan 2013 13:26:08 4,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    CaptainKid wrote:

You can't give Dredd a 9 since Aliens or Robocop which are clearly MUCH better films can get at most a 10 (99%)

This is not an opinion this is a fact.
    Subjective.

Film taste is fucking opinion you bellend. Who gives a fuck if somebody else gave Dredd a 9/10, they may (heaven forbid!) like it more than Aliens or Robocop, and if you don't like it (that's fine) but it doesn't make them wrong. That's fact.
    Indeed. I think Aliens is pretty rubbish, not seen Dredd yet but all indication are I'm going to like it more than that.

/fact

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Ultrasoundwave 16 Jan 2013 13:32:11 3,397 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    Is anyone watching anything other than Dredd?
    I shall be watching it this week. From what I've read, it has a very similar storyline to The Raid, which was one of my favourite films from last year.

I'll be surprised if it's as good as that, but I retain an open mind.
    Both movies follow a very similar plot but both have advantages over the other.

The Raid is worth watching purely for the fight scenes, some of them are absolutely spectacular, to the point where a lot of it looks real (and brutal).

Dredd has a bigger budget. Bigger set-pieces and a better script.

Overall, i would absolutely recommend watching both. Dredd probably just pips it for me, but their both outstanding action movies.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• spindle9988 16 Jan 2013 13:48:53 3,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dredd is good but nothing special. The raid which a lot of people are comparing it to is much better in my opinion
  • MightyMetalMonkey 16 Jan 2013 14:24:22 600 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd give Dredd 8.5 / 10

It is Dredd, but the setting it all in one city-block seemed to limit what they could show of the background. The city block also just seems like a slightly larger block of flats - I didn't get the sense of scale.
  • mikeck 16 Jan 2013 14:49:04 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @MightyMetalMonkey Indeed, but they had a fairly limited budget.

I just hope they take a punt on a sequel and show us a bigger scope of Mega City One, and maybe even the Badlands.
  • Dangerous_Dan 16 Jan 2013 17:22:54 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dredd

It's focused and very good at what it does, I really like Olivia Thirlby in it, she should definitely stay blonde for her future movies. Karl Urban does his job well but of course staying all the time under his helmet is quite limiting. I'm glad Anderson keeps her helmet off. Understandable that psychic abilities don't mix well with helmets. ;)

8/10
  • b0rk 16 Jan 2013 17:42:58 2,942 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Isn't everyone a fan of Tarantino?
    No.
    You're, you just don't know it yet.
    I like Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, that doesn't necessarily make me a Tarantino fan. :mad:
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 18:13:13
    Blade Runner (DC)

Still massively, on a visual and sound level, astonishing. Watching it in High Def, Really does bring it to life.

its been a good 10 years or so since i seen this, so it was alike watching new again. Then, i thought it was shite.

So... The plot is actually really understated. Nothing really much happens, it all feels a bit incidental, leads are stumbled upon, the case and chase is a bit of a shambles and theres no real narrative to pull you along. Everything is a dull and disinteresting, reflected more so in the inhabitants of LA. So its left to the themes of the film to bring it to life, and they are really well implemented. Some of the them have been done over and over by newer films, but the Androids cause, and finale gives us something complety different, a knockout punch that is fantastic.

Going to have to watch it again soon to take it all in. Watching it now felt completey different to the first time, so it was like watching it new so didn't really know what to expect and for film standards, the whole thing goes against convention. So.. yeah really want to watch it again and take more of it in.

But for now a 8/10
  • BinaryBob101 16 Jan 2013 18:15:11 24,068 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    Pontypool 8/10 (netflix)

A weird and wonderful horror movie. A really interesting premise but I'm not going to pretend I got the ending fully.

The first hour is just edge of your seat brilliance. The second half not so much. That said it unsettled me and it's stuck with me all day and night, not many films do that.

BTW There is an extra scene after the credits just to bend your mind that little bit more.
    THIS YOU CUNTS!

I love Pontypool. It's better than Dredd and that's a FACT, not my opinion.

Please all go and watch it now and tell me it's not better than Dredd.

Ponyupool/Dredd

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• ricky_uk 16 Jan 2013 19:42:25 212 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dredd should have won a Oscar or it should be given to every household (in return of slightly more tax)
  • Tonka 16 Jan 2013 19:54:52 21,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Isn't pontypool two years old? Feels like she's done I saw it. Good film but not a patch on dazed and confused.

• Maturin 16 Jan 2013 20:01:55 3,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dredd

8/10

Finally got around to seeing this today. Budget aside - which reduced some of the sci-fi setting, it was a cracking film. Urban was great, had the young Eastwood grimace that Dredd always sports down pat. A great introduction for the character of Anderson.

I loved that it was a day in the life rather than a big epic story. I'm so bored that every comic book film has to be an origin story or the biggest battle they've ever faced. Dredd is just a regular shitty day for the cops of Mega City One.

I normally don't see 3D as being worth the bother - but here I thought it worked very well. Glad I could be arsed plugging my PS3 into my 3D PC monitor. The 3D combined with the super slow motion really leant many scenes a comic book appearance that really linked well into the original 2000AD comics.

I know it hasn't broken even in theatres, but hopefully it will do on home media. The team behind it deserve a chance to make a sequel. I also reckon it'd make a damn good TV series.
  • oldschoolsoviet 16 Jan 2013 23:26:14 5,532 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dredd (again) 8/10

Argo - 6/10

Silver Linings Playbook - 7/10

Great, but not future-y enough, dry and dull though proficient, and what-the-hell-was-that but enjoyable, in that order. Was really looking forward to Argo too, but it just didn't grip me at all. Knowing the outcome and the faux-tension probably didn't help, and I can't help but compare it to funnier and more outlandish Charlie Wilson's War. Just a bit too serious.

SLP was a surprise though, with so many jumbled up bits combining into something cohesive, bar the typical finale. Mental health, bookies, the NFL/Eagles, knackered families and a dance contest. Yep, it's that bizarre.

And Dredd is Dredd. Really awful pin-sharp/grain effects on the BR aside, it's as good an attempt as we'll get
  • Madder-Max 17 Jan 2013 01:33:20 11,679 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Another Earth - 9/10

Wow. There is so much going on with this film. Its intelligent and does not patronise. On one hand its a dose of melancholia, and on the other its a ground level 'what would you do' sci fi classic.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Nanocrystal 17 Jan 2013 02:36:56 1,096 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Another Earth - 9/10

Wow. There is so much going on with this film. Its intelligent and does not patronise. On one hand its a dose of melancholia, and on the other its a ground level 'what would you do' sci fi classic.
    I started watching that expecting an arty wankfest but it won me over. Really nice little film, subtle and understated despite some pretty heavy themes.
  • Tonka 17 Jan 2013 07:09:25 21,158 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Graveland wrote:
    Whilst it's not rubbish, it's not a good film either. It's very mediocre. The plot was trivial and simplistic; the characterisation paper thin.
    Isn't Dredd paper thin by default? Has he any personality at all? I was disapointed that he didn't throw Andersson in the iso cubes but other than that I thought he was pretty much the way I remembered him. Stiff, red tape loving, asshole with a license to kill.

• ram 17 Jan 2013 08:21:27 3,486 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dredd doesn't have a personality he has The Law. Watched it in 3D a couple of nights ago, great film. Shame it didn't have the budget to make more of it's futuristic setting, vehicles and bikes were all a bit 2010. But nevermind. I really enjoyed the soundtrack and sound was pretty magnificent in HD master 5.1.

Preferred it to The Raid which I thought was spoiled by too many punch-sponges towards the end.
  • Deckard1 17 Jan 2013 09:19:25 29,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pontypool

Started well, but with every passing minute it got a little bit shitter.

8-7-6-5-4/10

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 12:29:31
    Cloud Atlas - liked most of it, except for the too sweet, typical Hollywood ending. But wasn't bored a minute which is something very few movies do for me these days.
    Sexacebest/10
  • sport 17 Jan 2013 13:14:29 12,798 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I fucking hate Dredd. Or at least I know I'll hate when I see it because of this thread.
  • Madder-Max 17 Jan 2013 15:22:40 11,679 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyway......Another Earth, definaley not the whimsical arty wankfest it appears to be.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Oh-Bollox 17 Jan 2013 15:26:53 5,366 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Another Earth - 9/10

Ordered this on BR. :)

From HMV. :(
  • b0rk 17 Jan 2013 15:48:29 2,942 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Possession - 2/10

24 carat dogshit.
  • Page

of 2842 First / Last