Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2069

• Page

of 2767 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 13 Jan 2013 15:10:02 14,714 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Man on a Ledge

A good setup, although it's a little silly at the end. Entertaining watch.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• graysonavich 13 Jan 2013 15:24:58 7,344 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I use the 3 tier rating system of;

SUCKED

WAS OK I GUESS

FILM OF THE YEAR
  • Madder-Max 13 Jan 2013 15:50:58 11,649 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The lorax - 8/10

Its entertsaining and the kids loved it. Not as good as cloudy with a chance of meatballs (10/10) but still good. There are gaps in the story but apparently this is covered by the narrative cop out at the start.

The truman show was turtally super based on the original Lorax story.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• oceanmotion 13 Jan 2013 15:57:30 15,928 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One Day

I hope to wipe this from memory/10

Went and made pancakes so I wouldn't have to suffer it all. Did have a funny ending. She gets run over by a truck. Really.

Edited by oceanmotion at 15:58:26 13-01-2013
  • craigy Staff 13 Jan 2013 20:17:08 7,653 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell (2001): 1/10
    Monster (2003): 5/10
    Les Misérables (2013): 8/10
    Seven Psychopaths (2012): 4/10
    Argo (2012): 9/10
  • repairmanjack 13 Jan 2013 20:19:45 6,042 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Amazing Spiderman. 7.5/10

Was luke warm on it, as a needless reboot, but we both thoroughly enjoyed it... more so than the Raimi flicks.

It also brought home the fact that I just didn't like Toby Maguire in the lead role.

Next up: Real Steel. Which I really do expect to be shite.
  • Carlo 13 Jan 2013 20:32:26 18,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    The Day of the Jackal - 6/10

Was alright.
    What?! /slaps

(unless you are taking about the remake)

PSN ID: Djini

• Mr_Sleep 13 Jan 2013 20:33:38 17,062 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uninspiredcup wrote:
    @Tonka I'm sad this movie flopped. I enjoyed the fuck out of dredd.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it makes up the difference in the long tail.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 13 January 2013 20:36:11
    Watched Argo yesterday. Thought it was alright, but I found the tension in it to be far too artificial. I understand the actual event was a case of "arrive at the airport, leave" which wouldn't have been particularly riveting, but adding in a literally-at-the-last-second hold-up and chase sequence felt very "Hollywood" in a film that seemed to strive to avoid it for the most part.

Sort of half-watched West of Memphis too, and while it was interesting it says absolutely nothing that the superior Paradise Lost documentaries haven't already covered.

Edited by meme at 20:36:38 13-01-2013
  • beastmaster 13 Jan 2013 21:56:03 11,412 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    House at the End of the Street - 1/10

Somehow managed to watch the first 25 mins then fast forwarded to the end to see if there were any good bits. There were none.

From what I could tell on fast forward, there's a plot twist that would surprise nobody. It's just really dull and boring, even on fast forward.

Friends with Benefits - 8/10

A highly entertaining rom-com that genuinely laugh out loud funny and is romantic. These films are not supposed to exist but somehow the filmmakers have managed to get it right.

There's film has two main advantages over other films of this ilk. Firstly, it has a sharp, witty script which manages to stay on the right side of not being sentimental slush. Secondly the leads have cracking chemistry together.

The support cast is terrific too. Woody Harrilson steals every scene he's in as he always does.

Well worth a watch. I may watch it again at some point with the director & cast commentary. They look like they had a blast filming it and I think the commentary could be quite good fun.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Savatage 13 Jan 2013 22:22:31 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lockout 2/10

In the near future, Guy Pearce heads into space to rescue the president's blonde daughter from the most advanced maximum security prison ever built, where the evil, evil convicts (with shaved heads and - I think - Scottish accents) have taken over the prison and are holding her hostage (the bafflingly incompetent guards do absolutely nothing until the prison has been all but overrun). Guy Pearce does Snake Plissken, the main bad guy does Vaas from Far Cry 3, and some of the CGI does a rather good imitation of early PS2 footage. Avoid.
  • Steve_Perry 13 Jan 2013 22:44:16 4,180 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hobbit. 9.

Loved it. Begins slow but really drew me back into middle earth as it went on. Can't wait for the next one.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• woodnotes 13 Jan 2013 23:03:38 4,924 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looper - 8/10

Silly popcorn sci-fi fun with plot-holes galore. Definitely felt like a low budget movie, or perhaps the entire budget was blown on Joseph's contact lenses. Either way, a very entertaining watch - glad these types of films have been making a come-back.
  • L0cky 13 Jan 2013 23:25:59 1,528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    End of Watch

Southland/10
  • BillMurray 14 Jan 2013 02:01:30 7,737 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Django Unchained - 95%

Thought it was brill.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 04:45:50
    Vaguely surprised at Argo sweeping best pic and best director at the Golden Globes. Thought they would go to Lincoln, but it wasn't really a close race. Nice to see Christoph Waltz win one too, along with Tarantino for best screenplay.
  • BryanAKADJ 14 Jan 2013 06:46:01 284 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Despite what people say you don't need to watch all 28 episodes to understand it, though it would be better to (in my opinion), you would only have to watch these episodes:
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I - VI (Season 1)
    The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1)
    Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Season 2)
    Mystérique Sign (Season 1)
    Remote Island Syndrome I (Season 1)
    Remote Island Syndrome II (Season 1)
    edit: also Endless Eight part I & VIII (Season 2)

or read the first 3 light novels.

This movie is 163 minutes (equivalent to 7 episodes) and uses all its time effectively. It looks great, the music is fantastic, if you enjoyed the series you'll love this. Don't want to spoil anything but I absolutely love it. The ending (major spoiler word here)is very cliché, but they pull it off perfectly in this film.

As a fan of the series I give it a 10/10.
    Just watching it without previous knowledge of the series/books you would be quite confused throughout the film.

Edited by BryanAKADJ at 08:09:49 14-01-2013

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• IronGiant 14 Jan 2013 07:26:49 4,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Impossible 4/10 - First 15 minutes was like watching an episode of Home and Away the acting was that bad. Out of the 1hr 47mins running time you see maybe 10 minutes of the actual tsunami, depends what you go in wanting to see I suppose. There's plenty of padding in this including one shot where the camera focuses on the mothers eyes for what seemed like an eternity.
  • Chopsen 14 Jan 2013 08:31:30 15,964 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lord of the Rings Films

Obviously, I don't get it.

In order 5/10 (Bit cheesy), 7/10 (woo, interesting metephor!) , 2/10 (epic battle fatigue)
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 08:38:54 87,626 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Lord of the Rings Films

Obviously, I don't get it.

In order 5/10 (Bit cheesy), 7/10 (woo, interesting metephor!) , 2/10 (epic battle fatigue)
    I can't actually distinguish Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith in my mind now. They've merged. Can't really remember which scenes of Sam and Frodo farting about with Gollum belong to which film either. The second and third films really are very similar.

For this reason I think the first is the best. Has the most variety and the least reliance on building up to a massive fight, although it has no Gollum who is the star of the whole thing for me.
  • Chopsen 14 Jan 2013 08:49:48 15,964 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only saw them yesterday, and am already in a muddle over it. I thought it'd be a bit unfair to mark the 2nd one down just because the third was just more of the same though, as it was the only one that actually held my attention. By then end I was thinking "really? *another* epic battle between orcs and humans defending a castle?"

Also, there very little reason real reason for caring about what happens to anyone. The only thing that makes the orcs evil is the fact they're ugly. The elves are just pricks and I doubt the humans have massive forts and standing armies because they just like the uniforms. In fact you're explicitly told the humans are arseholes in the first 10 minutes of the first film: they're in it for the power grab. So, same as Sauron then, yes? So the big battles are just brawls without any real dramatic tension. And wossiface is supposed to be king, is he? Big deal. And he's got a thing with that Steve Tyler? And?
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 08:54:15
    beastmaster wrote:
    House at the End of the Street - 1/10

Somehow managed to watch the first 25 mins then fast forwarded to the end to see if there were any good bits. There were none.

From what I could tell on fast forward, there's a plot twist that would surprise nobody. It's just really dull and boring, even on fast forward.

O_o
  • spindle9988 14 Jan 2013 08:55:09 3,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snow white and the huntsman 8.5/10

Enjoyed this much more then I thought I would. Only bit I didnt like was
    the end where stewart is clad in armour, I just couldnt believe in that scene
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 08:55:14 87,626 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've seen a similar point made about Star Wars i.e. what is actually so evil about the Empire?

There is at least in LotR a hint of genocidal intent behind Sauron - "ending the world of man" etc. The books are a fairly obvious analogy for WW2 but yeah, somehow that does get lost a bit in the films.
  • Deckard1 14 Jan 2013 08:55:16 27,981 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I only saw them yesterday, and am already in a muddle over it. I thought it'd be a bit unfair to mark the 2nd one down just because the third was just more of the same though, as it was the only one that actually held my attention. By then end I was thinking "really? *another* epic battle between orcs and humans defending a castle?"

Also, there very little reason real reason for caring about what happens to anyone. The only thing that makes the orcs evil is the fact they're ugly. The elves are just pricks and I doubt the humans have massive forts and standing armies because they just like the uniforms. In fact you're explicitly told the humans are arseholes in the first 10 minutes of the first film: they're in it for the power grab. So, same as Sauron then, yes? So the big battles are just brawls without any real dramatic tension. And wossiface is supposed to be king, is he? Big deal. And he's got a thing with that Steve Tyler? And?
    You monster.
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 08:57:11
    That's like saying:

Watched the trailer for House at the End of the Street. Saw the twist coming a mile away. Good central performance, though.

Definitive opinion/10.
  • kalel 14 Jan 2013 08:59:00 87,626 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I laughed when I saw the trailer. It's like one of those blatant cash in films like "Chop Kick Panda" or something.

"Hmmm, let's make a film a bit like 'Last House on the Left', what could we call it?"
  • Deleted user 14 January 2013 09:00:18
    Blasphemy!! Lord of the rings movies are wonderful! Fight me.
  • ryohazuki1983 14 Jan 2013 09:09:49 735 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook - 85% Solid performances by all, bit of a cliche predictable ending but it's not always about the destination, but the journey.
  • Page

of 2767 First / Last