• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 09:17:33
    Not even Last of The Mohicans?
  • Blakester 8 Jan 2013 09:20:28 3,668 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Five Year Engagement

Pretty decent for a rom-com with a fair few laughs and one or two unexpected turns. Jason Segel and Emily Blunt are both engaging leads, playing a couple struggling to make it to the alter.

Would be fairly easy to recommend if it didn't contain two of my movie pet hates. Firstly casting American actors to play British characters who then churn out that completely vanilla english accent that doesn't actually seem to be from any recognisable part of the British Isles.

Secondly it ends with a musical number. It was bad enough in Bridesmaids, but this is worse.

If none of the above bother you, it's an easy 70%. If they do, it's 50%.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• dr_swin 8 Jan 2013 09:35:37 4,915 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Blakester - Emily Blunt is British. Sure you knew that already.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 09:36:59
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    Never seen the last of the mohicans. Didnt even know he was in it until 20 seconds ago. DDL may be a gem i will never discover but im okay with that.
    Watch Last of The Mohicans.

If you don't like that I'm pretty sure you have no soul. Like a ginger person.
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 09:38:24 61,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, that isnt *quite* as stupid as it sounds. Something happens to british womens accents in american media.

I spent ages thinking the ginger bird from lost was australian despite it explicitly saying she was from england and the actress coming from cambridge.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Blakester 8 Jan 2013 09:42:14 3,668 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    @Blakester - Emily Blunt is British. Sure you knew that already.
    Yep, I wasn't actually referring to Emily Blunt (although she does has an annoying accent), it was Alison Brie.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 09:43:38 61,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She is allowed to speak in whatever accent she likes, goddamit.

• Dangerous_Dan 8 Jan 2013 10:03:12 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Gansosleftpeg May I ask which actors you like or find to be alright? Just curious.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 10:05:27
    I wouldn't say DDL is boring, but he's one of those actors that straddles the fine line between having a huge presence and being incredibly watchable, and massively overacting and shattering any sense of disbelief.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 10:17:49
    DDL was amazing in Gangs of New York imo.
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 10:20:32 61,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I wouldn't say DDL is boring, but he's one of those actors that straddles the fine line between having a huge presence and being incredibly watchable, and massively overacting and shattering any sense of disbelief.
    Gangs of New York being a prime example. He chews through the scenery like a beaver in that.

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 10:24:15
    I think it comes down to personal taste really with these types. I prefer an understated performance to "big acting" like DDL and Pacino do, but then you get people who describe the likes of Ryan Gosling as wooden or lifeless.
  • LeoliansBro 8 Jan 2013 10:27:02 44,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daniel Day Lewis is going to be awesome when he's properly old and given the Dumbledore / Marcus Aurelius roles.

He's pretty awesome now to be honest. Although one side effect of his bombast and presence is he does show up weaker performances, look at Di Caprio in GoNY.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 10:37:22 61,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im quite looking forward to Django because its going to be the first time Leo has had the opportunity to go mental since whats eating gilbert grape.

• oceanmotion 8 Jan 2013 11:09:27 16,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Vow

Rachael McAdams in her pants, car crash, doesn't remember husband, father is that guy from Jurassic Park, mother from American Horror Story, Rachael in her pants again, still doesn't remember, relive first date, awww. In her pants again but wet....she went swimming in the river. Come to think of it, she does like to walk about in films with just pants on, does look good to be fair.

pants/10
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 11:29:15
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im quite looking forward to Django because its going to be the first time Leo has had the opportunity to go mental since whats eating gilbert grape.
    I can think of another recent film, but to mention its name would be a spoiler :)
  • Blotto 8 Jan 2013 11:30:11 2,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I can think of another recent film, but to mention its name would be a spoiler :)
    Shutter Island?

Edited by Blotto at 11:30:23 08-01-2013
  • nickthegun 8 Jan 2013 11:33:02 61,318 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hah, yeah and possibly the aviator.

Definitely the aviator.

• Trane 8 Jan 2013 11:36:59 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Gansosleftpeg wrote:
    Never seen the last of the mohicans. Didnt even know he was in it until 20 seconds ago. DDL may be a gem i will never discover but im okay with that.
    Watch Last of The Mohicans.

If you don't like that I'm pretty sure you have no soul. Like a ginger person.

I might do but I probably wont like it because he is in it.
    Still my favourite film ever, worth watching for the scenery and soundtrack alone. At least give it a try!
  • Fab4 8 Jan 2013 13:57:46 6,216 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LotM is awesome. One of Mann's best imho.
  • TOOTR 8 Jan 2013 14:55:00 9,648 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The Vow

Rachael McAdams in her pants, car crash, doesn't remember husband, father is that guy from Jurassic Park, mother from American Horror Story, Rachael in her pants again, still doesn't remember, relive first date, awww. In her pants again but wet....she went swimming in the river. Come to think of it, she does like to walk about in films with just pants on, does look good to be fair.

pants/10
    I'm rather partial to Rachel McAdams. Hopefully someone will put together a video cut of her pants scenes on youtube so that I can skim the movie and yet still resonate with it's essential essence.

Like I was able to with the Natalie Portman scene from that terrible medieval 'comedy' recently.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Deleted user 8 January 2013 14:59:30
    I've just realised that Rachel McAdams and Elizabeth Banks are not the same person. Weird.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 15:05:32
    I can't believe they're not the same person. They're identical.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2013 15:22:45
    I just assumed some sort of unheard of hair colour changing technology - a "dye" as it were - must have been used.
  • Page

of 2863 First / Last