Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2060

• Page

of 2589 First / Last

• Oh-Bollox 7 Jan 2013 02:31:03 5,094 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Love Liza (2002) 10/10

10/10 for Philip Seymour Hoffman’s performance.
    I think it's still his best. Great film. The suicide note almost had me in tears.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 07:15:38
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    blacksea wrote:
    Love Liza (2002) 10/10

10/10 for Philip Seymour Hoffman’s performance.
    I think it's still his best. Great film. The suicide note almost had me in tears.
    The shot of Wilson heading down the middle of the road at the end. He must have just done it for real.
  • drhcnip 7 Jan 2013 07:34:16 2,268 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Knowing- 80%
    I'm aware I'm in the minority but I like the flick.
    All of that Science Vs Religion Vs Crazy Alien Shit stuff throughout raises it above your average braindead blockbuster for me.
    And the last rioting sequences, where the classical music kicks in, followed by the destruction of bloody Earth are pretty darned effective in their bleakness.
    it's a guilty pleasure in this household as well, not helped by the fact neither of us can stand nic cage....
  • Waffleaber 7 Jan 2013 08:46:14 312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great Expectations (2012)
    6.5/10

Good, not great. Lots of characters sacrificed for running time. Helena Bonham Carter miscast. Pacing a bit off. Looked great, good performances, core story still cracking.
  • smoothpete 7 Jan 2013 08:52:43 31,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stand By Me - 10/10. I wonder what River Phoenix would have achieved had he not died.
  • Deleted user 7 January 2013 08:53:13
    Full Metal Jacket. First half 8/10, second half 7/10.

It took a little while to get used to it being in 4:3. First time I've ever watched it properly as an adult, too, and it's almost 2 films, really. Pretty good, though the action sequences looked slightly, and understandably, dated.
  • smoothpete 7 Jan 2013 08:54:31 31,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The latter part was filmed in the London docklands IIRC
  • Steve_Perry 7 Jan 2013 08:54:44 2,455 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    captainrentboy wrote:
    Knowing- 80%
    I'm aware I'm in the minority but I like the flick.
    All of that Science Vs Religion Vs Crazy Alien Shit stuff throughout raises it above your average braindead blockbuster for me.
    And the last rioting sequences, where the classical music kicks in, followed by the destruction of bloody Earth are pretty darned effective in their bleakness.
    it's a guilty pleasure in this household as well, not helped by the fact neither of us can stand nic cage....
    watched this last night and its not too bad if you can put aside the ideological sparring. The bit where the kids are lifted onto noahs ark by angels then go running towards the tree of life did make me a bit sick in my mouth though.

It ends up like Adam and Eve Begins.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Deleted user 7 January 2013 08:55:13
    Hobbit 9/10

One point off for being a bit too long.
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 7 Jan 2013 09:01:43 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wuthering Heights (2011): 10/10

Amazing work. Really amazing.
  • kalel 7 Jan 2013 09:03:07 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it the whole story?
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 7 Jan 2013 09:09:36 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've not read the book so I can't answer that. I'm not sure if the book explains where Heathcliff went or what he did to make his money, but that wasn't in the film.
  • kalel 7 Jan 2013 09:13:20 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does it end with Catherine dying?
  • Blakester 7 Jan 2013 09:13:51 3,357 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dark Shadows

I think I must have a metaphorical boner for Tim Burton. The structure and pacing of this film is all over the place but I just enjoyed the hell out of it. I think it's the richness and detail of the characters and setting that he does better than most, and I'm even willing to forgive him for using his films as a virtual casting agency for his family and friends.

Seeing this, it makes me think he should go the whole hog and do his own live action version of Scooby Doo. He pretty much dressed his missus as Velma in this anyway.

Also does that tree feature in all of his films?

75%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 7 Jan 2013 09:18:48 7,386 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel yep
  • mikeck 7 Jan 2013 09:21:40 1,837 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Brothers Bloom

Finally got round to watching this, and was nicely surprised (not that I should be as I loved Brick and Looper).

Ruffalo and Weisz are particularly good in this, with a nice turn by Robbie Coltrane too, and Adrian Brody was very watchable in this, though I've never really been a fan.

Nice quirky story about two brothers who from an early age become con-men, and it's a fairly elaborate (and often messy) plot based around their last job to take Weisz for her money.

The style of the film is hard to describe, but it definitely has a charm of it's own; it's not a fast-paced action flick, but isn't a slow-burn either, I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch.

8/10
  • kalel 7 Jan 2013 09:22:22 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    @kalel yep
    Same as the old film then. That's only half the book! I think there was a TV adaptation that did the same thing as well.

I can see why they choose to ignore the second half, but it slightly annoys me that thanks to Hollywood half of one of the greatest novels of all time has now been made irrelevant. They'll probably edit the second half out the book itself at some stage...
  • LeoliansBro 7 Jan 2013 09:23:21 41,869 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Red Baron (some European film in English with a weird cameo from Joseph Fiennes). I have no idea how much artistic license was taken with this film, but the original photos at the end and the fact that almost all the characters are real lends it a great deal of authority. Excellent, I thought. Even the CGI wasn't shit and the dogfights were genuinely exciting, you really got the impression of what it would feel like to throw yourself around the sky in a flimsy contraption of canvas and wood. (At the risk of sounding like a twat, go read Yeat's 'Irish Airman' to get a taste of the serene fatalism of the characters).

8/10, catch it on iPlayer before it goes.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 7 Jan 2013 09:24:45 41,869 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    @kalel yep
    Same as the old film then. That's only half the book! I think there was a TV adaptation that did the same thing as well.

I can see why they choose to ignore the second half, but it slightly annoys me that thanks to Hollywood half of one of the greatest novels of all time has now been made irrelevant. They'll probably edit the second half out the book itself at some stage...
    What the actual? They stop there?

• kalel 7 Jan 2013 09:27:53 83,877 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They all do. I think the only version of the whole thing is the one with Ralph Fiennes.
  • glaeken 7 Jan 2013 09:28:33 10,978 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haywire - 6/10 - Fairly entertaining film of the super female spy genre where a small female beats the crap out of various big men. About on par with Salt.

Underworld: Awakening - 5/10 - The underworld films remind me a lot of the Resident Evil films really in that ultimately they are pretty shit but reasonable entertaining for what they are. Kate Beckinsale as ever looks great in skin tight rubber.

Edited by glaeken at 09:28:55 07-01-2013
  • LeoliansBro 7 Jan 2013 09:29:30 41,869 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's bonkers though. Hey, coming soon a big screen adaptation of the Hobbit where they end the story after escaping the Misty Mountains! I mean as if, lololol... what?

• Gibroon 7 Jan 2013 10:10:51 1,313 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Hobbit 2D. Great to be back in middle earth again, they have taken a few liberties with the story but I'm not too bothered about that. Looks like they will be expanding the Necromancer side of things which should be interesting. Good cast, great adventures and a bit of fun. 83%

The Orphanage,

This film really got under my skin. Great acting, beautifully shot and a bit of a tearjerker. 87%
  • Tonka 7 Jan 2013 10:12:35 19,840 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MI IV: Ghost in DA Protcolzlol
    Awesome!

A must see

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Wacko_AK 7 Jan 2013 10:14:07 176 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Angel's Share - 8/10

Fantastic film, quite a bit different to what I was expecting.

For all that it's a great film I'm not really sure that anyone outside Scotland will be able to make out everything that is being said without subs. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Edited by Wacko_AK at 10:14:34 07-01-2013
  • pistol 7 Jan 2013 12:42:14 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    The latter part was filmed in the London docklands IIRC
    Correct, and at Pinewood Studios.

I worked there for 4 years and Stanley Kubrick's production office is based there.
  • mrpon 7 Jan 2013 15:30:04 27,647 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Tall Man (US Netflix)

Jessica Biel suffers for her art in this social commentary on poor unbringing. Interesting moral message.

7/10

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Dougs 7 Jan 2013 15:33:04 64,911 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Poor as in poverty, or poor as in inadequate/failed parenting?!

I like the random indie stuff you get on Netflix.
  • king26 7 Jan 2013 15:36:08 546 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Platoon
    Probably the best war film of all time. It touches on themes such as stag times, lack of sleep, incompetent officers and conflict within the platoon. Topic a lot of civis wouldn't know about. The fire fights are what you'd expect during a guerrilla warfare contact.
  • Page

of 2589 First / Last