Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2048

• Page

of 2811 First / Last

• kalel 30 Dec 2012 08:21:59 88,522 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I thought it was bollocks mostly. Aliens on ice with far less menacing baddies and the increasingly hilarious Liam Neeson being increasingly hilarious. Watchable, but really nothing special. 6 is fair.
  • spindle9988 30 Dec 2012 09:43:27 3,629 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get the gringo

Not what I was expecting when I saw the trailer. I thought it looked a bit like payback at 1st. Nothing like it but still a good watch

7/10

On us Netflix
  • nickthegun 30 Dec 2012 09:53:48 60,620 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hobbit 1: I liked it. Im an absolute sucker for lore and mythology so all the extra guff suited me just fine.

Its just really nice to be back in that world again, all the visual and audio cues, its like being wrapped in a warm blanket.

On the downside the opening does drag somewhat and it is a shame that they have taken a kids book and made it play significantly older but it doesnt pull the rest of the film down.

Also, I watched it in 2d, so it looked great. (on a side note, our local cineworld seems to be shifting back to primarily 2d showings where possible. Seemingly the audiences are actively avoiding 3d now).

8/10

Edited by nickthegun at 09:54:17 30-12-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• crashVoodoo 30 Dec 2012 10:28:35 3,967 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Looper 6/10.

It starts out as a fast paced sci-fi film with some good ideas, then the farm becomes the main setting and the movie becomes really dull.

The ending was shit too.
    I can agree with that, it was a let down.

I've just watched taken 2 and that was also a let down.  It seemed to be missing everything that made the original so good.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• AgeOfChaos 30 Dec 2012 10:37:30 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Excision 2/10

Hollyoaks with some gruesome scenes tacked on. A waste of time.
  • TechnoHippy 30 Dec 2012 12:06:33 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Red Lights

Quite a good thriller, although the ending was a little obvious.

6/10

Penance

Ok, it had a couple of moments that made me wince.

5/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• beastmaster 30 Dec 2012 14:37:12 11,668 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seven Psychopaths - 8.5/10

The new film from the writer/director of In Bruges. It's not quite as good but it's a fresh, original film that's very funny and violent.

The plot is about dognappers who end up napping the wrong dog. One of the characters (played by Colin Farrell) is a Hollywood writer who's doing a screenplay called Seven Psychopaths.

In much the same way as In Bruges, this is a very hard film to categorise easily. It's also pretty difficult to say who's the best actor in this as everyone gives it there all and they are all exceptional. Although Sam Rockwell gets the most laughs.

The script is sharp, witty and laugh out loud funny in a lot of places. It's also really quite dark and violent in places, so it's certainly not an all out comedy.

If you liked In Bruges then you'll enjoy this. This is the sort of film where Colin Farrell excels and not the utter garbage that is the remake of Total Recall. However, if he has to make a film like Recall to do a number of smaller films like this then the trade off is worth it.

The exploding head scene is worth the trip to the cinema alone.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Lotos8ter 30 Dec 2012 15:20:54 2,361 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:Seven Psychopaths - 8.5/10

The Abbie Cornish in wet T-shirt scene is worth the trip to the cinema alone.
    Fixed

Fiat Lux

• Dante_Cubit 30 Dec 2012 15:48:33 1,928 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Slither - 6/10

Utter B movie toss with Nathan Fillion. Very Stuart Gordon-esque with schlock horror effects and plenty of one-liners. Not a good film by any stretch of the imagination but certainly watchable.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2012 16:00:11 7,024 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Source Code

Basically The Jacket with different actors and in a different place. I like.

7/10, 8/10 if you haven't seen the other one.

PSN: DonOsito

• kentmonkey 30 Dec 2012 16:06:17 20,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Batman: Dark Knight Rises

Loved it at the cinema. Thought it was great because it focussed more on the character of Batman/Waine rather than the combat and gadgets, undeserving of a lot of the criticism and only just slightly inferior to the Dark Knight, mainly due to no Joker/Ledger.

Watched it on Blu-Ray last night. Boring. Had trouble staying with it, found it all very dull, Bane was just a dull enemy with a ridiculous voice, more of its foibles became noticeable and irritating and the ending still annoyed me (still think it should have ended on Alfred nodding and smiling at the camera and then...roll credits).

More to the point, the audio is all over the place. Some dialogue is inaudible, some of the explosions lack any punch at all, some of the fight scenes are ridiculously loud (punches were louder than some explosions) and more to the point, no matter how quietly I turned it down, Bane's voice was fucking ridiculously loud.

I was obviously either far more forgiving the first time round, it suffers badly from not being on the big screen, or it just doesn't hold up to a second viewing. Or all three.

4/10 (down from an 8).
  • Madder-Max 30 Dec 2012 16:24:18 11,660 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't remember the name but a zombie film in which dennis hopper basically owns the surviving humans in a tower block, just like tenpenny tower in fallout 3.

Its an engaging and fresh approach to the zombie thing.

Do zombies breathe though? If so the whole thing falls apart and warrants a 3/10. If they can't then its a solid 8/10

99 problems and being ginger is one

• dominalien 30 Dec 2012 16:25:56 7,024 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And if they can, but don't, what's the score then? ;-)

• askew 30 Dec 2012 16:27:41 12,444 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Land of the Dead? Wasn't too bad.
  • tuff 30 Dec 2012 21:10:35 628 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sinister
    82%
    Shit me pants
  • kentmonkey 30 Dec 2012 21:27:28 20,800 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was the unsoiled 18% around the front?
  • Trowel 30 Dec 2012 21:51:08 17,930 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jack Reacher - 7/10

Better than expected, it's grown on me during the day since I've had time to distance myself from Cruise, and instead reflect on and appreciate the strengths of the story and the unusually refreshing and satisfying conclusion.

While watching it I have to admit I was getting a little too hung up on the fact that Cruise has sculpted it into a "Look at how ace and sexy and not short at all Tom Cruise is still" movie, and that there's a bit too much 'humour' which at times sits uncomfortably within the story arc (the bathroom scene, argh...).

Additional credit for the crunching car chase.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2012 22:03:22 7,024 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hunter

Willem Dafoe is asked to hunt the Tasmanian Tiger.

I may be drunk, but this is the best film I have seen in my life.

9/10

• Madder-Max 30 Dec 2012 22:40:25 11,660 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    And if they can, but don't, what's the score then? ;-)
    Well, if they can hold their breath under water then its a debatable 5/10

99 problems and being ginger is one

• woodnotes 30 Dec 2012 23:44:53 4,935 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Prometheus - 8/10

Really enjoyed this, surprised after all the negativity. The slow pace allowed it to breathe and drip with atmosphere, but there were plenty of gripping and tense memorable scenes too. Looked genuinely phenomenal in 2D on my Panasonic GT50 plasma too. One for the collection.
  • Spong 30 Dec 2012 23:56:50 525 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Total Recall 2012

Thoroughly forgettable, much like the first movie but without the comedic quotes. And once again it's yet another movie where Ms Beckinsale fails to get her jugs out. I give it 50%.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 00:15:26
    The Hobbit 3D HFR Version 7/10

Ok the film as a start was pretty good, felt like putting on some old comfy slippers.

But the 3D "yet again" added nothing and i fucking hated the 48fps HFR.

The best way I can think to describe the quality of the 48fps image in The Hobbit is this: It looks like an ’80s-era home video shot by someone who happened to be standing around on set while The Hobbit was being filmed.

It made everything looked like an epsiode of BBCs Merlin. It just made the fake look more fake. Instead of the romantic illusion of film, we see the sets and makeup for what they really are.

Next time I'm 2D at 24fps
  • Lukus 31 Dec 2012 00:15:30 19,288 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The original isn't remotely forgettable, it's ace!

Paintings & Photographs

• beastmaster 31 Dec 2012 00:32:54 11,668 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just seen Argo. A full review later but it's my film of the year.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• monkehhh 31 Dec 2012 00:34:06 3,437 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FOTY with 23 hours to go!
  • localnotail 31 Dec 2012 00:37:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Brothers Bloom - 85%

Charming con caper from the director of Brick and Looper. Warm, stylish, funny, candyfloss. I really enjoyed it. Probably perfect for people who would like to like Wes Anderson films but find them too awkwardly stylised.

P.S. must be comfortable with Adrien Brody's nose.

Edited by localnotail at 00:52:16 31-12-2012

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Spong 31 Dec 2012 00:43:01 525 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    You mean Total Recall? The original is better, yeah, but only marginally. The hammy script means I spent most of the film cringing. And Arnie doesn't do hand-to-hand combat well, he was too bulky for it. The scene where he decks his mate and the henchmen after leaving Recall is about as graceful as watching a cow walking on ice.
  • Froggit 31 Dec 2012 02:42:15 362 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @localnotail I adored The Brothers Bloom when I saw it. I agree with each of your adjectives but would also add "charming".
    Was a film that could have been an hour longer for all I cared because I was just enjoying being with the characters.

May have given me a slight man crush for Mark Ruffalo...

9/10? Maybe 10/10 for me. Was just perfect for my frame of mind when I watched it, I think, so honestly wouldn't be able to think of any ways it could have been better.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Dec 2012 02:47:49 7,773 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    You mean Total Recall? The original is better, yeah, but only marginally. The hammy script means I spent most of the film cringing. And Arnie doesn't do hand-to-hand combat well, he was too bulky for it. The scene where he decks his mate and the henchmen after leaving Recall is about as graceful as watching a cow walking on ice.
    what is this I don't even
  • Gruff 31 Dec 2012 03:05:15 2,916 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killer Joe 7/10 Christ on a bike, depraved and mental in the brainbox. Great performances throughout but... W.T.F.

Needed an antidote

From Up on Poppy Hill 9/10 Ghibli, simply class. Santity restored

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Page

of 2811 First / Last