Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2044

• Page

of 2753 First / Last

• Gruff 26 Dec 2012 11:14:07 2,855 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Cloud Atlas 8/10 Visually stunning and enigmatic. Will look forward to watching it again in an attempt reveal its depths.

Sleep Walk With Me 7/10 Likeable character study, affirmed a lot of beliefs about relationships that I recognize.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• King_Edward 26 Dec 2012 11:55:28 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises

Takes longer to get going than the last two, and I think they tried to cram too much action in. Like Batman and Bane having a punch up underground just felt forced.

Still an excellent action film though.

8/10

The Amazing Spiderman

Kinda the opposite really. Starts well, but gets dumb. I like the new Peter Parker, and how he's kinda shit at keeping his identity secret. Could've done without the usual dumbass cop chasing Spidey around.

7/10
  • Phattso Moderator 26 Dec 2012 14:22:02 13,308 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dredd

"I like the comics as much as the next man, but I'm not sure what it was that had so many of you frothing at the mouth in joy about it" / 10
  • Lukus 26 Dec 2012 14:41:54 19,051 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I think everyone just forgets the amount of content in The Hobbit, really. They've still got an awful lot of story to go after this one.
    Yep particularly given that the book really glosses over lots of massive events. Unlike the LotR book which sometimes feels like they're being covered in real time.

Paintings & Photographs

• beastmaster 26 Dec 2012 15:10:16 11,338 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sound Of My Voice - 7.5/10 (but would be more if a sequel was coming)

Totally gripping thriller about two investigative journalists who go undercover to investigate a cult, who's leader claim's she from the future. It's a sic-fi thriller but done in such a way that your almost forget that it is.

I had heard good things about this so I decided to give it a go. The premise is a pretty decent one. It doesn't take that long for you to be hooked. You learn pretty much from the start that there is an underground cult and their leader has selected certain people to join. She claims she's from the future and there are two journalists who team up to expose her.

It's pretty fascinating to find out what's she's really up to. Because she's obviously not from the future but she's recruiting for some kind of major event. Are they terrorists? If so, what is their end game? Is she just a con-artist who's going to strip them of every asset? If so, how's she going to do that?

This in itself is enough to keep you watching. Then another character is introduced and one of the seemingly secondary characters becomes a major player and this the takes it to another level entirely. It really makes you question a lot of assumptions and ramps up the tension no end. This then build up to a major encounter and then it suddenly finishes at the best bit with a massive cliffhanger. GAHH!!

I've since found out it's part of a trilogy. There's certainly a sequel planned. I'm not sure the film was successful enough for it to get the go though.

It's a superb, tense, gripping film but because of the way it ended it's also incomplete and unsatisfying. If I knew there was a sequel on the way, I'd recommend this most highly. As it is though, I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to see it.

Killer Joe - 8.5/10

An incredibly violent modern film noir which delivers on style, substance and plot.

Since when did Matthew McConaughey become such a great actor? He's utterly superb and totally unpredictable as the main protagonist Killer Joe.

The plot is one of those twisty turny ones where things are never quite what they seem. Hit-man gets hired to do a job and it all goes wrong. Major shit hits the fan territory.

It's a very low key film. None of the usual Hollywood set pieces, car chases or any of the sort. It's all about the style, atmosphere and some sensational acting from everyone involved.

It's a very dark film too. It's very, very funny as well but for the most part you're on dangerous ground here. It's unpredictable and things come to a head at the end.

Be warned though, this is not for sensitive souls. I'll never look at a chicken leg in quite the same way again. A scene that's as brutally funny as it is disturbing.

Highly recommended.

Jack Reacher - 8.75/10

Tom Cruise IS jack Reacher. One of the most entertaining films I've seen all year. Best film Cruise has done since his War Of The Worlds back in 2005.

First off, he's nothing like the Jack Reacher in the books physically. If it were, they would have cast The Rock instead of Tom Cruise. This is irrelevant though as he's excellent as this Jack Reacher.

Although the trailer is action heavy, the film itself isn't. It's more of a detective story. A sniper kills 5 people at random and all the evidence points to one man. This man has just one request. "Get Jack Reacher". That's all you need to know really.

The action sequences when they happen are superb. A few fight scenes here and there and a superb car chase that's really well shot and edited. As with the MI films he's convincing when it comes to kicking ass. And he really does kick ass.

Support cast in mainly in the very shapely form of Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) and a reunion with Robert Duvall (Days Of Thunder). The big bad is in the very sinister form of Werner Herzog. Herzog excels as the villain of the film. He's not in it long enough but that works in the films favour. He provides the film with some serious gravitas. Which nicely leads into something else that's worth mentioning about the film. It's very funny in places too.

To sum up, I though it was a superb popcorn flick. It's got an interesting plot, good acting, some great action sequences, it's funny and the soundtrack is superb. What more do you want from a Hollywood film?

Looks as though Cruise has got another hit franchise on his hands. I came out with a smile on my face and I want to see it again.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Dangerous_Dan 26 Dec 2012 18:32:10 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CrispyXUK Yep, Atonement is a charming movie, how can anybody not like it? Either that person needs to grow a soul or play some robot unicorn. (I'm absolutely serious)
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 27 Dec 2012 00:32:52 412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jack Reacher - 8/10

Great fun, and the best Tom Cruise has been since Magnolia.

Bourne Supremacy - 10/10

Reacher reminded me a bit of Bourne, so watched this, and remembered this is the real deal. As thrillers go this is one of the best. Ever.
  • Scurrminator 27 Dec 2012 00:38:24 8,405 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cloud atlas
    Hmmm 7/10
    I did enjoy it. However the audio was a bit off/funny made up languages made it hard to make out some bits. That's just due to the rip mind.
    A fun experiment anyway. Loved the new Seoul story

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• -cerberus- 27 Dec 2012 01:50:31 2,726 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Frankenweenie

Saw the original short back when I bought the Nightmare Before Christmas dvd and adored it! So I had particularly high expectations for the remake and I absolutely loved every minute of the first hour. But when the other children's experiments got out of control is when the plot got out of control. The last 15 minutes aren't necessarily bad, they're just a bit weak compared to what the movie built up during the first 60 minutes.
    I fell in love with Burton's movies ever since I saw Beetlejuice as a child and while he did make three), this isn't one of them. I very much enjoyed it!

7.5/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 01:55:01 27-12-2012

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• GuiltySpark 27 Dec 2012 02:11:08 6,369 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Tom Cruise IS jack Reacher.
    Browsing on my phone, read this and I knew it had to be beastmaster writing it.

Oh beastmaster...

Get bent.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 27 Dec 2012 05:34:36 2,433 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Cloud atlas
    Hmmm 7/10
    I did enjoy it. However the audio was a bit off/funny made up languages made it hard to make out some bits. That's just due to the rip mind.
    Maybe if you'd paid to see it you'd have got a better experience?

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• beastmaster 27 Dec 2012 08:52:29 11,338 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Tom Cruise IS jack Reacher.
    Browsing on my phone, read this and I knew it had to be beastmaster writing it.

Oh beastmaster...
    Well, his is THIS jack Reacher :-)

Not read the books but I'm well aware of the differences in physique. Good film though I don't know how people who have read the books are going to take it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• RyanDS 27 Dec 2012 08:56:17 9,273 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Enchanted - 8/10

Caught me by surprise this. Was expecting the usual disney tat, but it was actually ratehr good and witty.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit - 10/10

Holy fuck Bob Hoskins has a hairy back!
  • dominalien 27 Dec 2012 08:58:07 6,848 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Cloud atlas
    Hmmm 7/10
    So, if I go over to a friend's to watch a film he's rented, he'll enjoy it more than I will because he paid for it?

PSN: DonOsito

• dr_swin 27 Dec 2012 09:02:39 4,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Life of Pi

Just beautiful to look at and an excellent story well told.

• Daddy-Doom-Bar 27 Dec 2012 09:22:54 2,433 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Cloud atlas
    Hmmm 7/10
    So, if I go over to a friend's to watch a film he's rented, he'll enjoy it more than I will because he paid for it?
    Go away fucktard.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Chopsen 27 Dec 2012 09:24:32 15,885 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Since when did Matthew McConaughey become such a great actor? He's utterly superb and totally unpredictable as the main protagonist Killer Joe.
    I always thought he was great, really don't think he gets the respect he deserves. Probably because he plays a lot of mainstream stuff, and gets cast on the basis of his looks. He's just typical rom-com fodder in a lot of people's eyes, and nothing else.

/not gay
  • BryanAKADJ 27 Dec 2012 09:27:30 284 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Prometheus (In 3D)
    2/10.
    2 hours too long. Looks really good in some parts though.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• Scurrminator 27 Dec 2012 09:31:20 8,405 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Daddy-Doom-Bar
    If the distribution company feel a delay of 6 months from the states release is a good idea they're idiots. The Blu ray is already being pressed so has been leaked. I watched a HD version and it looked great. I would have paid to go see it but fuck em if they can't be arsed to release it in a timely fashion and its out there for free beforehand!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• sport 27 Dec 2012 11:00:14 12,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dark Knight Rises

9/10 - how anyone can complain about this I'll never know. Didn't find Bane's voice a problem, Bale is great as usual as was Catwoman. Although I actually found that my favourite character turned out to be Blake. He would make a pretty bad-ass Robin - I liked that touch at the end.

A great super-hero trilogy.

Edited by sport at 11:00:30 27-12-2012
  • Madder-Max 27 Dec 2012 11:08:51 11,641 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Totall recall. Halfway through this on xbox and I'm enjoying it. Love the premise and the core thing.

I had to stop watching as the jura whisky kicked in (fucking hell its a creeper aint it?) And I didnt know what the fuck was going on then as I was officially twatted.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Chopsen 27 Dec 2012 11:15:22 15,885 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    The Dark Knight Rises

9/10 - how anyone can complain about this I'll never know. Didn't find Bane's voice a problem, Bale is great as usual as was Catwoman. Although I actually found that my favourite character turned out to be Blake. He would make a pretty bad-ass Robin - I liked that touch at the end.

A great super-hero trilogy.
    You big silly. Haven't you read the internet? It's rubbish!
  • sport 27 Dec 2012 11:24:51 12,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I HATE YOU, INTERNET!!!!!

/shakes fist
  • rodbull 27 Dec 2012 11:33:15 39 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The avengers 9/10

Watched the Italian unedited blu ray last night really enjoyed it some good humour in it to ;)

Better than the last super hero film I watched.................cough DARK KNIGHT RISES :cry:

Not seen THOR yet is it any good? Anyone
  • Sponz 27 Dec 2012 11:34:52 648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've been having an 80's movie revisit this Christmas.

Trading Places, Ghostbusters, Spies Like Us. With The Goonies still to watch. None of them ever get old.

"Where do these stairs go?"
    "They go up"

:D

On the newer movie front.

Looper is very good I thought. 9/10

Taken 2. Not a patch on the original, but I liked the appearance of Boris the Blade. 6/10
  • Chopsen 27 Dec 2012 11:35:54 15,885 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Avengers was a fucking awful film you idiot. It was just the old "who would in a fight?" question that 10 year old ask, but with special effects, strung out multiple times.

Thor is ok, quite enjoyed it.
  • sport 27 Dec 2012 11:40:08 12,705 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed The Avengers but I wouldn't be able to compare it to TDKR. They feel like different genres to me. Also, me calling the DK movies a "super-hero trilogy" does it a slight injustice.
  • boo 27 Dec 2012 11:40:58 11,757 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rodbull wrote:
    Not seen THOR yet is it any good? Anyone
    I really liked it. It's got quite a small-scale feel to it, as rather than setting it in LA / New York / generic major city, most of the Earth-based action takes place in Hicktown, Nowheresville.

Thought the cast was great, they didn't make the mistake of dragging out the whole fish-out-of-water thing when he reached Earth, and the Asgardian stuff benefitted from Branagh's Shakespearean background.

I'd say 7.5/10.

Just Another Lego Blog

• thefilthandthefury 27 Dec 2012 11:41:01 24,988 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thor seems to get a hard time from people and critics, but I really enjoyed it... I thought it was possibly my favourite of the origin stories anyway. I thought all of those films were at least in the 'decent' category mind and well worth the one watch.
  • Page

of 2753 First / Last