Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2041

• Page

of 2839 First / Last

• LeoliansBro 20 Dec 2012 12:11:27 44,721 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought the Life of Pi book was heavy handed in its metaphor and got lost in act three, but there you go.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• pistol 20 Dec 2012 12:12:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Conan the Barbarian

The Arnold version from 1982. I was 12 when this was first released and seen it a few times over the years. I've finished reading Arnie's latest biography "Total Recall" and he talks quite a lot about the film in that and it reminded me to watch it again.

His first blockbuster and full moody looks, lots of fighting and hardly any dialogue. I do like it though. Has a certain charm.

80/100

Edited by pistol at 12:14:01 20-12-2012

Edited by pistol at 12:14:20 20-12-2012
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Dec 2012 12:19:34 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Charlize Theron is the best part of Prometheus. (talking about her acting and role)
  • Buztafen 20 Dec 2012 12:29:01 16,455 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Except for when she has a lobotomy and cant change direction while running.
  • Deckard1 20 Dec 2012 12:31:03 29,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    She has a nice chest.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• Dangerous_Dan 20 Dec 2012 12:35:10 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Even if she were running towards the spaceship, she still would have been the best part!
  • Gartt 20 Dec 2012 14:14:57 1,845 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Snowtown 7/10

Interesting little film with some good very performances. Understandably disturbing at times, not so much that its violent, just the overall tone of the film.
    A tough watch though and a hard one to give a score to.
  • teamHAM 20 Dec 2012 15:04:01 3,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tyrannosaur (2011) - 7/10

Peter Mullan strutting around his local community as a jumped up has-been. He is going off the rails when he meets a female charity worker and they become involved in each others lives.

Wasn't a particularly easy or positive watch but some good performances by the front two. I expect the entire contents of this movie are seen every week in a suburbs near you.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• captbirdseye 20 Dec 2012 15:12:43 5,255 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can  i ask if Battlefield Earth really is awful? Or just funny awful?

Edited by captbirdseye at 15:18:31 20-12-2012
  • kickerconspiracy 20 Dec 2012 15:19:23 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's just fucking awful.

If you manage to sit through the entire film you're a stronger man than I am.
  • captbirdseye 20 Dec 2012 15:20:58 5,255 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    It's just fucking awful.

If you manage to sit through the entire film you're a stronger man than I am.
    Nice one, always fancied but reviews put me off.
  • Gambit1977 20 Dec 2012 15:22:08 10,382 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh yeah, it's REALLY REALLY bad :lol:
    The camera angles alone are from a different world.
  • -cerberus- 20 Dec 2012 16:48:56 3,340 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Battlefield Earth is atrociously bad, and not in a 'so bad it's good'-way, no. It's absolute garbage. I'd rather watch The Stand again.

Edited by -cerberus- at 16:49:08 20-12-2012

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Deleted user 20 December 2012 17:36:08
    Brighton Rock (2011)

Decent, the last third pulls it together really well. Really dark film as well, sam reily , and andrea gainsbrough are terrific.

Only problem is the seduction of andrea character is really week. She is easily turned off by the character at the start, but instantly falls for pinky, despite him showing flashes of pure evil within moments of meeting her. i understand her being young and naive, and pinky having to seduce her and marry her, but it jars a bit.

havn't seen the original.

6/10
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 17:37:01
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    Charlize Theron is the best part of Prometheus. (talking about her acting and role)
    I've yet to see Prometheus. I'm sure i'll check out the Blu-ray some day, and on that day I will see more of Charlize Theron. Hell, for all I know I've see her in other films without noticing.
  • Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 18:05:12 2,385 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dark Knight - 7.5 / 10

It was good but not amazing. Bane was stupid aswell, sounded like a posh dude with his balls being crushed.
  • Architect_z 20 Dec 2012 18:06:07 2,385 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Charlize Theron was barely in the film, and she chould have just gone left or right. (trying to speak with no spoilers)
  • kalel 20 Dec 2012 18:23:18 89,116 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Hobbit

Reminded me of King Kong - Jackson sure knows how to turn a simple and fun story into a long and boring one. Everything that is good about it is from the goodwill carried over from LotR. It looks great and it's nice to be back in that world. And there the goodness ends. Boring, terribly paced and obscenely long. When there is action it has little meaning due to a plot that feels of little significance compared to the previous films. And the worst part is that most of the good bits of the book have been done so I don't know what the others will be like.

5/10
  • chopsen 20 Dec 2012 21:44:35 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Batman Dark Knight Returns or Whatever the Last One Was that Everybody Decided to Take A Disliking To is Called

Thought it was ok, quite enjoyed it for what it was. Not a fan of super-hero stories and comics, but it worked for me despite of or maybe because of that. I think it had an impossible reputation after Batman Where The Bloke that Died Was In It so it was always going to be disappointing. Hype is a double edged sword. Quite long, and I'm glad I saw it at home and not the cinema. Bloody loud though.

8/10
  • chopsen 20 Dec 2012 21:46:49 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The Hobbit

Boring, terribly paced and obscenely long. When there is action it has little meaning due to a plot that feels of little significance compared to the previous films. And the worst part is that most of the good bits of the book have been done so I don't know what the others will be like.

5/10
    That is a bit worrying. I've pre-emtively decided to wait till the whole lot was done before watching, and was wondering how he was going to string out a trilogy from the source material. Hmm. Guess I'll find out in 5 years!
  • Tomo 21 Dec 2012 09:45:12 13,964 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amour - 10/10

Elderly couple, the wife has a stroke and it tells the story of her decline. Excruciating to watch and impossible to take your eyes off. I cried in the cinema, don't think I've ever done that :(

The Master - Not Sure/10... Probably about an 8 or 9.

I love Paul Thomas Anderson's films and his style is all over this. The leads are amazing and the story is never less than intriguing, but I didn't take as much from it as There Will Be Blood. I found the ending a little unsatisfactory and considering what a long film it is, I don't think it explored the workings of the cult enough. Still, glad I saw it before it left the cinema.

Incidentally, I saw this in the Odeon Studios at Leicester Square, has anyone else been?! It's a cool concept: five mini-cinemas in a tower, but why the hell do they have an enormous Costa sign above the door and cafe in the entrance. I didn't realise it even existed until the doorman pointed me next door.
  • altitude2k 21 Dec 2012 18:40:49 4,777 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LoveFilm sent me two blurays recently.

The first was Hugo, which I ordered on the back of all the awards it won. While the cinematography was very good, and I really don't generally have a problem with slow-paced films, the whole thing was exceptionally dull and rife with irritating historical inaccuracies. Plus and film takes a hit when they cast Jude Law, in my opinion.

The second was Battleship. I would be lying out my ass if I said that I didn't enjoy that one. Stupid, entertaining and very pretty.

Now...does this say more about me or the Academy?
  • Madder-Max 21 Dec 2012 18:50:46 11,677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ted 7/10. Its okay. It is quite funny but quickly falls into standard formula that isn't ironic. The funniest bits of the film are the narrative references to stuff outside of the film.

It is funny but backs off from being a real side splitter ; which it could so easily have been.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Scurrminator 21 Dec 2012 18:52:10 8,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lawless

I-bet-Tom-hardy-has-trouble-finding-scarfs-for-that-beefcake-neck/10 (that's a 5)

Was okay. But yeah hardy is ripped. Not sure how he can move he's so beef. He's so beef in fact his bro is played by Shia lebeef!

Quite violent which was cool but just didn't go anywhere. Guy Pearce was a nice shitty bastard of a villain. Almost comical.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• GuiltySpark 21 Dec 2012 19:21:10 6,456 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Batman Dark Knight Returns or Whatever the Last One Was that Everybody Decided to Take A Disliking To is Called

Thought it was ok, quite enjoyed it for what it was. Not a fan of super-hero stories and comics, but it worked for me despite of or maybe because of that. I think it had an impossible reputation after Batman Where The Bloke that Died Was In It so it was always going to be disappointing. Hype is a double edged sword. Quite long, and I'm glad I saw it at home and not the cinema. Bloody loud though.

8/10
    Or y'know, it was just worse than the other two. We are not all complete idiots that we'd be that affected by hype.

Get bent.

• SparkyMarky81 21 Dec 2012 19:28:48 567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Hobbit 85/100

Better than I had heard it was going to be and only marked down for being very slow to get going.

Having said that, taking into account that this movie is the first part of a trilogy that is likely to be around the 9 hours mark in total, I guess an hour spent setting the scene is actually quite reasonable.

Action sequences were fantastic and it has the same feel as the LOTR trilogy, which I enjoyed. Naturally, the setting and SFX are awesome.

I saw the movie in standard 2D and didn't even notice the controversial frame rate. (Not even sure it applies to the 2d version???)

Just not happy I have to wait another two years for the story to reach it's conclusion!

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 19:29:01 21-12-2012
  • GuiltySpark 21 Dec 2012 19:34:59 6,456 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    The Hobbit 85/100

Having said that, taking into account that this movie is the first part of a trilogy that is likely to be around the 9 hours mark in total, I guess an hour spent setting the scene is actually quite reasonable.

I saw the movie in standard 2D and didn't even notice the controversial frame rate. (Not even sure it applies to the 2d version???)

Just not happy I have to wait another two years for the story to reach it's conclusion!
    The "WHY IS IT SO LONG AT THE BEGINNING?!" question get answered constantly (with your answer), but people seem to constantly forget.

Fairly sure 2D is 24fps only btw.

And is it confirmed we're getting one a year? I can't remember how often the LOTR films came out.

Get bent.

• SparkyMarky81 21 Dec 2012 19:41:35 567 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Fairly sure 2D is 24fps only btw.

And is it confirmed we're getting one a year? I can't remember how often the LOTR films came out.
    Thanks for confirming the frame rate.

The LOTR films were annual, but I've not actually heard when the next Hobbit movie will be out.
  • Physically_Insane 21 Dec 2012 21:25:59 9,104 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Next one is next christmas with the last coming out the following summer.
  • chopsen 21 Dec 2012 21:57:05 16,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:

Or y'know, it was just worse than the other two. We are not all complete idiots that we'd be that affected by hype.
    Not saying you all were, so odd you should get so defensive. Fwiw I never rated the first one as particularly awesomez. The second stands out for lots of reasons, the 3rd is bold and memorable for it's audacity. The first was a much more conventional superhero flick from what I remember.
  • Page

of 2839 First / Last