Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2039

• Page

of 2588 First / Last

• Deleted user 17 December 2012 21:03:16
    Heartbeat Detector (2007) 9/10

Long, some might call boring film. It is well made, well acted. The story about a corporate psychologist working in the human resources department of a French company is an interesting one. Once the film ended, I was left thinking, did i get it.. atleast I think so..

This quote from the IMDb pretty much sums up what I was feeling without being able to put into words myself, or atleast too lazy to attempt to put into words myself ;)

Three sequences that stuck in my head - Boring and dehumanised talking of the corporate bosses among the present (but futuristic or distopian) exteriors of the glass & steel business centres. Next, yuppies "relaxing" on the party - according to the 0/1 digital approach of life. Maximum performance versus maximum limbo, from the top to the absolute bottom. Next, the discussion about the reduction or renewal of the work positions, optimising, job-applicant's tests etc.

The end - shocking, sharp and true comparison of our machine-like terminology related to work/job, "human resources", "working units", reduction, performance, effective - that is identical to the language that Nazis have used when describing human extermination process.

I’m happy to say I made the effort to sit through the entire film, as it takes some doing.

Edited by blacksea at 17:41:36 18-12-2012
  • oceanmotion 17 Dec 2012 21:16:53 15,243 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Deadfall 5/10

Some robbers heading to Canada in a snow storm, boxer being released from jail, unlikely series of events brings the characters together in the end. It held my attention, more for being daft, not a long film and Oliva Wilde prepped for a photoshoot in the snow.
  • mikeck 18 Dec 2012 09:01:06 1,837 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @blacksea I watched it in the cinema at release...didn't expect it to be quite so involved and long.

Still a fairly good film though ;)
  • Deleted user 18 December 2012 17:40:21
    mikeck wrote:
    @blacksea I watched it in the cinema at release...didn't expect it to be quite so involved and long.

Still a fairly good film though ;)
    What cinema was that?
    I've never seen this kind of film at a cinema.
    The film was epic in it's own way. I somehow expect more of an ending than we get.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 07:22:58
    The Astronaut’s Wife (1999) between 4/10 and 6/10

Spotted this in Cex. I’d never heard of it either. Johnny Depp stars so I figured it can’t be all bad, although Charlize Theron (I’ve never heard of her either) is a little wooden at times. The biggest cop out has to be the fact that Depp (the Astronaut’s wife) returns to earth almost immediately, meaning zero budget was required to show any scenes set in Space. For the most part the film wants to belike most typical American movies, highly polished, bordering on dull. The Astronaut’s Wife doesn’t manage the polish, although it is dull. To be fair, 1hr and 6mins into the film, it manages to become slightly interesting. For the most part the film is about one notch above a made for TV film, it has those kind of qualities.
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 08:31:34 55,866 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    The Astronaut’s Wife (1999) between 4/10 and 6/10

So 5/10?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• dr_swin 19 Dec 2012 08:49:42 4,824 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have seen that film but can remember nothing about it.
  • Dougs 19 Dec 2012 08:59:40 64,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hang on, never heard of Charlize Theron? Really? Or being facetious?
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 19 Dec 2012 09:11:39 7,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies: 7/10
    Gets bonus points for showing a lawyer fucking himself to death after a prisoner wishes for it.

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later: 6/10
  • Dougs 19 Dec 2012 09:12:20 64,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really thought that said "Webmaster 2".
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 19 Dec 2012 09:17:51 7,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Now there's an idea for a horror franchise. In which our hero attempts to squish an evil horde of demonic bugs.
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 09:33:56 55,866 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Webmaster 2: It’s a feature

He totally called it

• Deckard1 19 Dec 2012 09:35:33 25,414 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Webmaster 3: Fuck it that'll do

Called it

• Zizoo 19 Dec 2012 09:38:58 7,706 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Webmaster 4: The Search Function Folly
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 09:41:20 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI

Nice to watch them again in HD. Never noticed it before but the story arc for all the heroes over the 3 films is actually not that big. Focus can stay on the character development.

The new movies fall kind of short.

Take Darth Vader, he's somewhat believable in the old movies. He wants Luke to come to the "dark" side and together to destroy the emperor to become the new masters of the empire.

Look at Anakin in Episode 2 and 3, there are many sequences which make him look really dumb. He's just evil, that's it - not really much reason why he's doing things. He's not the dark side, he's psychotic. Just bad writing.
    That Anakin could never become Darth Vader, well maybe after a decade of psycho-therapy.

IV - 9/10
    V - 10/10
    VI - 9/10
  • nickthegun 19 Dec 2012 09:58:47 55,866 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:

Look at Anakin in Episode 2 and 3, there are many sequences which make him look really dumb. He's just evil, that's it
    You were right the first time. Hes not evil, just dumb. His fall to the dark side is entirely down to the fact that he is an idiot, nothing more, nothing less.

He is easily manipulated, stupid, whiny and acts like a self entitled dick, so much so that’s its almost impossible to believe it’s the same character. In the few brief lines he has as vader in the PT he absolutely ruins the legacy of a once great character in a single ‘noooooooooooooo’.

Not that ive given it much thought or anything…

He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 19 Dec 2012 10:14:26 41,865 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darth Vader was a great man. But that was another life.

/chops up Anakin the Prick

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kingnothing12 19 Dec 2012 10:17:01 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Robocop blu ray 9/10

Hadn't seen this film for years, one of my all time favorites. Forgotten how brutal some of the violence is, from Murphy getting massacred scene to the toxic waste guy, and not forgetting the Ed 209 scene. Makes me miss the Robocop action figure I had as a kid. The one with the light up visor and his one liner's.

Dead of alive, you're coming with me.

Edited by kingnothing12 at 10:17:34 19-12-2012
  • Gambit1977 19 Dec 2012 10:19:04 9,563 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "Can you fly Bobby?"
  • Lukus 19 Dec 2012 10:19:33 18,955 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The A-Team

It felt like a feature length episode of Hustle, but full of soul-less CG action and incredibly contrived and unnecessarily elaborate stings.

Call me old fashioned, but action movies should primarily be filmed for real, with computer effects a secondary thought. Not the other way round.

The constant montages got old really fast, and the 'conversations that flow together across multiple scenes' thing has always been shit.

5/10

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 19 December 2012 10:30:45
    The Long Kiss Goodnight

Very shallow, but still supremely cool film as always, and definitely Samuel L. Jackson in his prime. The film does take a while to pick up the pace though. Renny Harlin doing what he does best - fun, brainless popcorn cinema.

7/10
  • mikeck 19 Dec 2012 10:37:59 1,837 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @blacksea It was the Odeon near Covent Garden, they're actually very good for showing foreign and arthouse films.

In fact London is quite spoilt for good cinemas doing this.
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 10:48:03
    Looper 8/10

Felt like I was watching an early 90s Vehoven film at times, awesome.
  • pistol 19 Dec 2012 16:56:31 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Last American Virgin

Absolutely abysmal sex comedy from the early 80's and probably the worst of it's kind I have ever seen.

Avoid..

20/100
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 20:19:30
    mikeck wrote:
    @blacksea It was the Odeon near Covent Garden, they're actually very good for showing foreign and arthouse films.

In fact London is quite spoilt for good cinemas doing this.
    Thanks
  • Deleted user 19 December 2012 23:54:13
    Last of the Mohicans

Its odd watching this with the current trend of cinema having to be targeted to certain needs - either all out boom bash bang or having to have gritty and realistic. Sort of pure adventure escapsim with a depth as being flung out of the window. Master of commander and true grit probably being the last i can think of - i'm sure loads of you will point out recent films.

Sometimes it dangerously steps into robin hood prince of thieves spectacle - that horrible synth thing they have whilst DLD is running up the cliff and the love hawkeye and munroe have, but behind all the running and shooting and smooching is quite a complex background that is always inviting and deep. Has a nice balance to it. The ending is pretty neat as well.

Its been ages since i seen this, so it like watching it a new. it has a old style of filming and writing that is quite jarring compared to the current trend of cinema. Its fun, and meant to be a cinema spectacle. i know i shouldn't compare it to films that are almost 20 years younger but its an intersting discussions to be had. A great watch that flew by.
    8/10
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Dec 2012 00:06:41 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Taken 2

Quite good on the action and solid follow up but doesn't get close to the first one in terms of atmosphere and tension.

If you liked the first one and wanna see a second incarnation of the movie with the same cast (besides the bad guys who got killed in the first one) then this is it.

Solid, predictable, key again is solid, solid, solid. That sums it up.

6/10 Solid, solid but nothing special compared to the first one.

Yeah you read it again, solid.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 00:12:22
    He just wasn't as vicious in Taken 2 as the first one. Might have had to do with the lower age rating or something.

The only bit that came close was the extendable-baton punish-a-thon.
  • Deleted user 20 December 2012 00:20:11
    @joelstinton

Last of the Mohicans is easily a 10/10.
  • Dangerous_Dan 20 Dec 2012 00:20:11 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That could totally be it, all in all it felt quite short too. While in the first one you follow him chasing down the bad guys with intermissions, in the second one it's all a short intro followed by one big action sequence throughout the whole movie. Tension requires some relaxation times which are missing.

I hope you skipped the hidden rambling.
  • Page

of 2588 First / Last