Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2036

• Page

of 2709 First / Last

• dr_swin 13 Dec 2012 14:04:30 4,866 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just saw a trailer for Oblivion last night starring Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman. It looked pretty good.
  • residentneil 13 Dec 2012 15:04:09 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Last thing I was dragged to was the latest Twilight I give it a 2 out of ten not my kinda thing...

The one about the Tsunami looked good though
  • Kostabi 13 Dec 2012 15:05:58 4,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dagon - 7/10

I've been meaning to watch it for ages but only just got around to it thanks to someone mentioning it in a comments thread earlier.

Probably the best film based on a Lovecraft work I've seen and once it gets going after 10-15 minutes is suitably creepy and unsettling right to the very end.

Well worth a watch and is actually on YouTube for those who are curious.
  • -cerberus- 13 Dec 2012 15:48:13 2,440 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rose Red

Better than I remember! Very campy, fairly decent performances and excellent atmosphere. Sadly, I didn't find it particularly scary and with a running time of approximately 4 hours, I don't think I will be rewatching it regularly. Still, I very much enjoyed it and recommend watching it at least once.

7/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 13 December 2012 22:50:33
    Contagion

Seem some pretty scathing reviews on here for this. Its not that bad. Doesn't really get out of 2nd gear, but its watchable. Very muted, quite procedral. A couple of the plot lines are pointless, and it is get as many a listers to pick up the paycheck, but for the most part the film works even if doesn't go anywhere without much to say.

5.5/10

Edited by joelstinton at 22:51:13 13-12-2012

Edited by joelstinton at 22:51:29 13-12-2012
  • L0cky 13 Dec 2012 22:57:59 1,501 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lawless

Shia LeBouf didn't spoil it like I thought he would. Good yarn.

8/10
  • Gambit1977 13 Dec 2012 23:19:30 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The trailer for Oblivion made it look like its I am Wall-Egend

And yes. That's as bad as it sounds.
  • beastmaster 14 Dec 2012 00:15:32 11,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey Filled With Utter Orc Turd and Awesomeness. Are you Tolkien the piss/10 A generous 7/10

I saw this on the IMAX in HRF (Higher Frame Rate) 3D. What does this mean? It runs at twice the frame rate in order for the 3D to be much better than anything you've ever seen before. Ever. It's supposed to be crystal clear and give you a truly incredible 3D effect. Time for a deep breath here as this has a significant impact on the film. There are some major problems with the film itself but I'll get to that later.

James Cameron tested HRF when doing Avatar and decided against using it. He was smart. What has the effect of totally loosing any kind of cinematic feel. It's all gone! It's like watching a HD documentary. The sets look like film sets. The fake beards look like fake beards. It's too clean and crisp and utterly strips it of the 'magic' of cinema. This is really apparent in the indoor scenes to the point of distraction. Anyone who's seen a blu-ray where they've gone totally OTT the DNR will know what I'm yabbering on about. It totally ground the film in reality and for a film of this kind, its not a good thing.

Moving onto the film, the idea of turning what was originally a two part into a three part film series is a colossal mistake. The first 80 mins is a slow, boring, lumbering mess. They've reeeallly stretched it out. This is almost the running times of some films. A literal pain in the ass!

In terms of the Hobbit story, it doesn't have any of the colourful central characters of The Lord Of The Rings. It's a totally unfair comparison I know but it still need to engage the audience.

I did promise you awesomeness and this film does have it. There's a certain point where the film turns (at 8.40pm by my watch. Seriously, I looked!). The plot and action finally get going and things get up to a standard that's up there with the very best of the LOTR trilogy. Even the HRF shows off what it is truly capable of. It's jaw droopingly stunning. This is at it's best in the outdoor action scenes. The latter part of the film is incredible. What they've done with Gollum is probably worth the £13 it cost for the ticket.

To sum up, skip the first hour and watch it at a normal frame rate on as big a screen as you possibly can. I want to see this again on a normal non 3D screen. The first 80 mins though is not making we want to rush and see it in a hurry.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:24:39 14-12-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• CosmicFuzz 14 Dec 2012 07:14:44 23,245 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You get the Star Trek preview?

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• jonsaan 14 Dec 2012 07:48:51 25,326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Peter Jackson in meandering film shocker.

Your description above is in line with what I would expect. The books aren't exactly straight to the point either.

No doubt its good overall, but its not made for me I suspect.

FCUTA!

• Spanky 14 Dec 2012 07:52:58 14,458 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Dagon - 7/10

Probably the best film based on a Lovecraft work I've seen and once it gets going after 10-15 minutes is suitably creepy and unsettling right to the very end.
    It's actually a bit shit in comparison to a film called The Resurrected(it's on netflix if you're wanna watch) a very straight take on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Have a watch if you're a HPL fan.

Plubs

• Zizoo 14 Dec 2012 08:07:27 8,115 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Hobbit - 75%
  • craigy Staff 14 Dec 2012 08:54:27 7,533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @joelstinton my other half (who's a junior sister) really praised Contagion for its medical accuracy. After we watched it she turned to me and said "that's exactly how a pandemic would occur". I'd like to see it again, except some of the more gruesome bits I found tough to sit through.
  • craigy Staff 14 Dec 2012 08:57:58 7,533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: 5/10

There's a giant vein of homosexual/bisexual subtext throughout the film, which completely diverted my attention away from the horror aspect of it. I wonder how many people got that when it first came out?
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 08:59:23
    Your other half is your sister? Eww.
  • beastmaster 14 Dec 2012 09:28:31 11,183 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz

No. Or at least I don't think so. I got in a bit later and the lights were still on and they had a few trailers. If they were to show it, I would assume they'd have the lights off.

One thing I will say about the HFR. Some of the effects look totally awesome.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 14 December 2012 09:32:56
    When are you seeing it next?
  • Latin 14 Dec 2012 09:49:46 3,593 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Life of Pi: 95/100

Absolutely brilliant stunning visuals, 3D that actually works (probably the best I've seen since Avatar), great acting, good use of humour and a genuinely moving story. Some people will be put off by the message, because they can't just accept a good story if it involves anything to do with religion, but it's a fantastic movie.

In terms of adaptation of the book, I don't think fans of the book will be disappointed at all. I read it ages ago though, so there might be some things missing or added that I'm not aware of.

Just checked the run time, apparently over 2 hours and it didn't feel like it at all, which is a great sign.
  • Shikasama 14 Dec 2012 09:58:07 6,620 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought Contagion was really excellent.

It is also the perfect blueprint for a proper World War Z film in it's depiction of multiple plot lines over different periods of time and across different locations.
  • Gambit1977 14 Dec 2012 10:00:37 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I thought Contagion was really excellent.

It is also the perfect blueprint for a proper World War Z film in it's depiction of multiple plot lines over different periods of time and across different locations.
    This. Was about an 8 for me. Really enjoyed it, firmly grounded in reality too. Much better than Outbreak.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:14:24
    craigy wrote:
    @joelstinton my other half (who's a junior sister) really praised Contagion for its medical accuracy. After we watched it she turned to me and said "that's exactly how a pandemic would occur". I'd like to see it again, except some of the more gruesome bits I found tough to sit through.
    yeah i think that side works well, the whole process was interesting. The film was just basically that though, it could have done with an underlying theme/critique or something to take it to the next level . i agree though It was perfectly watchable/enjoyable though.
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 10:16:44
    Latin wrote:
    Life of Pi: 95/100

Absolutely brilliant stunning visuals, 3D that actually works (probably the best I've seen since Avatar), great acting, good use of humour and a genuinely moving story. Some people will be put off by the message, because they can't just accept a good story if it involves anything to do with religion, but it's a fantastic movie.

In terms of adaptation of the book, I don't think fans of the book will be disappointed at all. I read it ages ago though, so there might be some things missing or added that I'm not aware of.

Just checked the run time, apparently over 2 hours and it didn't feel like it at all, which is a great sign.
    looking really forward to seeing this. I enjoyed the book till the last chapter where it tells you what you should have been reading to some extent, so i wonder how they will handle that side to it if they do, but the trailer is fantastic.
  • mrpon 14 Dec 2012 10:18:56 28,463 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Did anyone else think Skyfall was going to do a "Home Alone"? Half expecting a paintpot to come flying over the staircase.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• craigy Staff 14 Dec 2012 10:34:40 7,533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Life of Pi! Very exciting. I'm struggling to reconcile the visual treatment the film has compared with what's in my head after reading the book, but I'm really, really looking forward to it. Every time I see the trailer I get a little teary.
  • craigy Staff 14 Dec 2012 10:37:15 7,533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    I wonder how they will handle that side to it if they do, but the trailer is fantastic.
    If you take what's been shown in the trailer as an example: the bit where you see the zebra escaping from the lower levels of the ship whilst it's sinking, I can see that being re-shown at the end with the zebra being replaced with the "true" mammal, so to speak.
  • Latin 14 Dec 2012 10:41:09 3,593 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @craigy If you really don't want a (minor) spoiler then don't read ahead..

It's not like that at all, just an interview with the japanese guys
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 15:37:31
    Matrix Revolutions.....

yeah..

3/10. Enjoyed the big battle in the middle though.
  • jablonski 14 Dec 2012 15:44:31 3,327 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lady Vengeance (7/10)

Director of Oldboy finishes his Vengeance trilogy, with a third film that isn't a patch on the previous two.
  • Gambit1977 14 Dec 2012 16:13:20 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seriously, WHAT film are these people watching???
    Reference Quality Audio
  • Deleted user 14 December 2012 16:16:44
    Amazing spiderman 85%

Actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Not without it's faults but enough there that I enjoyed and actually looking forward to the sequel.
  • Page

of 2709 First / Last