Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2035

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 12:57:43 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Nolan's got an incredible knack of making films that seem to be great when you see them for the first time, but gradually get worse the more you think about them.

Forget second viewings too - I really enjoyed Inception at the cinema, but rented it when it came out on DVD and it had suddenly turned dogshit.
    I find it incredibly difficult to sit through them more than once, even Memento, which I loved at the cinema, I have only watched once!
  • ERG1008 12 Dec 2012 12:59:26 656 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    Twilight - Breaking 2 Electric Boogaloo Part 2.
    I really wish they had called it this.
  • TheSaint 12 Dec 2012 13:59:30 14,199 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any films going to be a bit shit if you analyse it that closely. The Battle of Yavin for example would be a lot less entertaining if it followed the laws of physics.
  • -cerberus- 12 Dec 2012 14:05:55 2,419 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote: The revelatory back story isn’t shocking because your mind is searching for something to make sense of the idiocy that preceeded it, thanks to Tom Conte. ‘So.. if Bane escaped as a child, how did he get those scars that the doctor treated? Did he get thrown back in?’ You already know that story is either bullshit or a plotting error
    But Bane didn't escape as a child.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• LeoliansBro 12 Dec 2012 14:17:17 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Any films going to be a bit shit if you analyse it that closely. The Battle of Yavin for example would be a lot less entertaining if it followed the laws of physics.
    No.

There's a world of difference between accepting impossible technology and watching something amazing unfold within it's fictional boundaries, and watching some bare bones plot hung on chop-and-change characterisations, messy hand waving and embarrassing inconsistencies.

There's nothing illogical about Star Wars. We are given a framework and everything works within it. That's the difference (doubly dumbass for TDKR because it is supposed to be realistic...).

And +1 to JK's point on Nolan - absolutely hits the nail on the head.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 12 Dec 2012 14:17:51 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    nickthegun wrote: The revelatory back story isn’t shocking because your mind is searching for something to make sense of the idiocy that preceeded it, thanks to Tom Conte. ‘So.. if Bane escaped as a child, how did he get those scars that the doctor treated? Did he get thrown back in?’ You already know that story is either bullshit or a plotting error
    But Bane didn't escape as a child.
    We're supposed to think that before the ZOMG reveal. Tom Conte spoils the twist.

• Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 14:21:08 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    No.

There's a world of difference between accepting impossible technology and watching something amazing unfold within it's fictional boundaries, and watching some bare bones plot hung on chop-and-change characterisations, messy hand waving and embarrassing inconsistencies.

There's nothing illogical about Star Wars. We are given a framework and everything works within it. That's the difference (doubly dumbass for TDKR because it is supposed to be realistic...).

Star Wars with it's amazing line "If there's a dark centre to the universe, we're on the planet it's farthest from"

Yeah? Then it's not the centre is it?
  • kalel 12 Dec 2012 14:23:33 86,329 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a lot of fantasy and sci fi films are very silly and can easily be torn apart, but the good ones wrap you up so much in the world that you don't want to try.
  • -cerberus- 12 Dec 2012 14:28:13 2,419 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote: We're supposed to think that before the ZOMG reveal. Tom Conte spoils the twist.
    True but there are a few hints way before the twist that make it clear that he wasn't the one who escaped. The biggest being Bane's monologue during the back break fight. "You merely adopted the dark, I was molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was but a man, and by then it was nothing to me but blinding"

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• monkman76 12 Dec 2012 14:37:01 3,967 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:

Star Wars with it's amazing line "If there's a dark centre to the universe, we're on the planet it's farthest from"

There's nothing wrong with that logic. There will be a planet that is furthest from the centre, that's all it's saying.
  • monty2k 12 Dec 2012 14:39:56 241 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think a lot of fantasy and sci fi films are very silly and can easily be torn apart, but the good ones wrap you up so much in the world that you don't want to try.
    100% this.

I can forgive a lot of of silliness in sci-fi films, as long as I just enjoy them. At the end of the day, I watch films as a form of entertainment, not an exercise in complaining/nit-picking.
  • Dangerous_Dan 12 Dec 2012 14:44:23 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago

To be fair, this could still be possible if there is the "darkness" at the center of the universe/galaxy and your planet is the one farthest away from the center.

And wasn't the original quote like: "If there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from." said by Luke to himself in a metaphorical sense?
    ;)

Anyway, guys, please continue ripping Mr. Nolan to pieces. His movies are quite empty and lacking in many areas under the hood. It's just, aren't people used to that by now from most movies?

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 14:44:53 12-12-2012
  • LeoliansBro 12 Dec 2012 14:46:07 43,227 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    No.

Just possibly that's farmboy hyperbole. Or do you find yourself watching someone say 'this is the worst thing ever' and crushing them logically with a carefully reasoned riposte?

Because if you do you're a cunt :)

• Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 14:46:26 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that logic. There will be a planet that is furthest from the centre, that's all it's saying.
    NO there won't. There'll be at least 2! Or it's not hte centre. Anyway i was only poking fun.
  • Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 14:47:13 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    No.

Just possibly that's farmboy hyperbole. Or do you find yourself watching someone say 'this is the worst thing ever' and crushing them logically with a carefully reasoned riposte?

Because if you do you're a cunt :)
    You're right. Defending a shit script against a simple wind up is being completely level headed :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 12 Dec 2012 14:52:48 2,378 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NO there won't. There'll be at least 2! Or it's not hte centre. Anyway i was only poking fun.
    I see you assume that the the planet distribution within the universe/galaxy is symmetrical around the center. Which doesn't have to be the case! ;)
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2012 15:02:26 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As I said on the previous page, it tears you out of the movie, which makes it worth shredding.

As a rule, I dont generally notice continuity errors or minor plot holes, but these were inescapable and really ruined it for me, constantly forcing me to remember that im watching a film.

Take, I dunno, Independence Day. There is something questionable happening in virtually every scene, but you dont really pay it any attention because it rolls along happily with its own odd internal logic.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 12 December 2012 15:06:43
    Apple Macs can interface with alien motherships, goddammit.
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2012 15:08:12 58,782 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    See, even though im a gigantic mac fag, i didnt even question how brundlefly managed to make an OS that I couldnt make talk to windows talk to an alien spaceship.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 12 Dec 2012 15:08:54 27,142 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They can't even interface with other apple macs.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 15:12:07
    They're apparently making Independence Day sequels.
  • Gambit1977 12 Dec 2012 15:13:24 9,583 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    They're apparently making Independence Day sequels.
    NO doubt interfacing iphones with samsung laptops!
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 15:15:28
    By the technology curve that Jeff Goldblum exhibited it'll presumably be about how he evolved into an electrical lifeform and made all Roombas into his electronic slaves.
  • Gruff 12 Dec 2012 18:50:14 2,839 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a decent, if perverse double bill today

Hugo 8/10 Not what I was expecting, a very nice surprise, though heartless as it may seem, the lead actor was a bit raw at times, still, awesome.

Young Adult 8/10 Charlize Theron has really turned into a terrific performer huh? Really enjoyed, funny, mellow, and gut retching all in the same dysfunctional package

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• localnotail 12 Dec 2012 23:08:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    See, even though im a gigantic mac fag, i didnt even question how brundlefly managed to make an OS that I couldnt make talk to windows talk to an alien spaceship.
    :) I thought I was the only one who called him that.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• darkengy 13 Dec 2012 07:07:05 98 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rurouni Kenshin live action

8/10

Everything's great, although it lacks something. Not sure if it's the villains or I just expected too much...Great movie though =)

• Deleted user 13 December 2012 07:08:31
    Immortals.

Not too bad. Not really my kind of film but had some good action and Mickey Rourke is always awesome.

• craigy Staff 13 Dec 2012 08:49:11 7,519 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wishmaster: 7/10

Has some pretty groovy practical effects: jaws being torn off, insides being ripped out, etc.
  • Kew1Melon 13 Dec 2012 11:15:40 221 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @speedofthepuma sorry, didn't even think :(

You have an imagination barrier.

• BravoGolf Moderator 13 Dec 2012 14:00:17 12,740 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Any nice/funny/enjoyable movies out lately worth getting? Nothing to watch at home ...
  • Page

of 2705 First / Last