Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2020

• Page

of 2842 First / Last

• Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 13:57:27 29,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Please stop picking on The Batman everyone.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 13:57:31 44,736 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That felt horribly shoehorned in as an Act Two dramatic peak / we haven't seen the Joker for a while. So tissue thin you can poke holes in it at almost any point.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 13:58:45 29,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I tell you what else felt horribly shoehorned in as an Act Two dramatic peak. You.

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:01:02 61,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    batman is like jesus in this respect. if he cant handle a bit of criticism, hes a bit shit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:09:01 44,736 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Says a lot when that scene is basically lifted directly from Batman Forever and Joel Schumacher did it better.

Not to mention that Nolan saved all the bits he didn't use from the Schumacher scene to use later when Batman goes clubbing (because everyone knows that's where you find your average mafioso).

• Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 14:35:30 17,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Says a lot when that scene is basically lifted directly from Batman Forever and Joel Schumacher did it better.
    I refuse to believe Schumacher could ever do anything better. I daresay I can take a shit with more skill and wit than he can.

Nice to see I'm not the only one who has issues with the Batman films, I feel like it's been a downward slope from the first one.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:38:21
    Schumaker has made some great films. Was pretty much golden until he did Batman and has been shit every since weirdly.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:41:52 61,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres a case to be made for the batmans being the only mark on his CV, tbh.

Lost boys 4 lyfe.

• Mr_Sleep 4 Dec 2012 14:50:16 17,287 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Schumaker has made some great films. Was pretty much golden until he did Batman and has been shit every since weirdly.
    Tigerland is pretty decent too. Still, the Batman films he did are so appallingly bad that it pretty much tarnishes everything else.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:51:43
    He's one of these directors who was born to make 80s films basically.

I.E gay.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:54:32 44,736 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I refuse to believe Schumacher could ever do anything better. I daresay I can take a shit with more skill and wit than he can.

Indeed.

But let's put the two scenes side by side.

Motive:

BF: to draw out the Batman. And it works, Two Face has form on this both within the wider character and within the film from the beginning, and he's genuinely cracked and unstable, hence his willingness to work alongside the Riddler one minute and bounce him the next.

TDK: to capture Harvey. He poisons the chief of police, bombs the judge and then has to ask people where Harvey is. And then captures him again about 10 minutes later with ease. And he isn't cracked, as the film goes out of its way to emphasise.

Ambience:

BF: flashing lights, confusing colours, whirling pinwheeling action. It may be neon and supergay but it is a plausible and electrifying fight scene. Say what you like about Schumacher, he can direct action.

TDK: There are labs where they make computer chips that are worse lit. And, aside from the (admittedly effective) rising maddening crescendo from the soundtrack, there is silence.

Entrance

BF: A nod to Burton's Batman, and a nice riff on it. There he was unfussed by impressing someone who clearly understood the theatrical and just wanted to rescue the girl. Here the elite of Gotham are watching, so (again supergay) backflips and spinning kicks are in order. And even then, smashing through a ceiling light is pretty boss.

TDK: Sorry, entrance?

Exit

BF: Jumps off a goddamn window, into a trap, which he survives twice. Harevy escapes to the sewers, Robin is introduced, Riddler isn't exposed.

TDK: Jumps off a goddamn window, onto a car, which he smashes once. This is a man who can fly crashlanding, compared to BF's man who cannot not crashlanding. Oh, and how did the Joker leave again? I must have missed that.

Importance to the plot.

BF: Shows how unstable Harvey is, both in his actions and his alliance with the Riddler. Useful in the build up to exposing Batman through the (yes schlocky) mind reading bullshit. Gives Robin an entrance.

TDK: Joker escapes, no one is harmed, Harvey is captured anyway. Woop de doo.

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:57:43 61,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it is a shame that when you say Schumacher to people, the first thing they think of is the shitty batman movies.

Its amazing that falling down came out like the year before batnipples the movie.

• kinky_mong 4 Dec 2012 15:29:24 10,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bane's voice might be ridiculous and the second worst thing in TDKR (first being Marion Cotillard's death scene), but my god is it a fun impression to do!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 15:38:25 10,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone slating Schumacher is slating Lost Boys!
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 15:44:30
    I thought the worst thing in TDKR was the utterly unexplained plot hole where Bruce, freshly escaped from the pit in the middle of the desert in Tunisia or wherever the hell he is (it's distinctly called "some ancient part of the world" ), suddenly appears back in Gotham a few days later, despite it being locked down and watched. To me, that was one of those moments you couldn't just gloss over as "he's Batman" or "it doesn't matter". It ripped me straight out of the film and left the third act just feeling weird. I'm half convinced it was just a fevered dream sequence and Bruce is still dangling from a rope in the Pit.

Edited by meme at 15:44:44 04-12-2012
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 15:45:41 10,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You honestly think that's worse than him using his grisly voice when no fucker is around???
    "so that's what that feels like!"
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 15:47:28 44,736 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZOMG a bomb will destroy Gotham. In 15 hours! I'm on it!!*

*just as soon as I've spend 13 hours painting a large flammable bat on this bridge and distributing shaving equipment to all the policemen stuck underground.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:47:50 04-12-2012

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 15:49:45
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    You honestly think that's worse than him using his grisly voice when no fucker is around???
    Well, that was just fan service from Kingdom Come. Gaping plot-holes are far worse.

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 15:50:50 44,736 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Well, that was just fan service from Kingdom Come. Gaping plot-holes are far worse.

NICE Vader neckbrace!

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 15:51:37
    Don't think it was fan service. Just theft.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 15:53:48
    kalel wrote:
    True enough. There's fuckloads that's just lifted from comics. Like using hydraulic braces in order to actually move around because he's destroyed his cartilage etc.

It's quite a lazy film when it comes down to it.
  • thelzdking 4 Dec 2012 15:54:08 4,407 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Batman Begins - 7/10

Disjointed.

The Dark Knight - 8/10

Everything in this film is interesting except for Batman himself.
  • Deckard1 4 Dec 2012 15:55:45 29,160 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For fucks sake. Quickly aargh, activate the moriss signal!

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 15:58:55 10,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    For fucks sake. Quickly aargh, activate the moriss signal!
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 16:01:43
    meme wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    True enough. There's fuckloads that's just lifted from comics. Like using hydraulic braces in order to actually move around because he's destroyed his cartilage etc.

I mean obviously Nightfall was the inspiration behind much of the film, but other than that yeah. Lots of little bits nicked. Same with the Marvel Avengers films.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 16:06:46 61,039 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing with the avengers is that they are clearly marvel and clearly comic characters. Plots and dialogue are lifted wholesale and its no problem because itís a comic film. Hitch based Fury on SLJ and then ten years later, he is playing him on screen and its fine. Its comics.

The Nolan movies arenít comic movies. They are action thrillers starring a guy in a rubber gimp suit, so when it borrows stuff, again, its quite jarring.

• kinky_mong 4 Dec 2012 16:32:58 10,711 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kill List

Was quite enjoying it as a subdued but brutal hitman flick, then it goes all Wickerman out of nowhere and completely lost me.

WTF?!/10

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• GuiltySpark 4 Dec 2012 16:41:20 6,460 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Lost Boys > TDKR

I've adored that film since I was a kid.

Get bent.

• Gambit1977 4 Dec 2012 16:46:17 10,382 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Lost Boys > TDKR

I've adored that film since I was a kid.
    Exactly! Give it a decade and no one will remember the super hero comic film that was embarrassed to be just that!
  • Deleted user 4 December 2012 16:48:59
    meme wrote:
    kalel wrote:

On the other hand it's quite a clever use of these small signals to fans.

Avengers did the same, eg Hawkeye (shit btw) jumping off roof and firing up was an exact copy of a comic panel.
  • Page

of 2842 First / Last