of 2589 First / Last

• craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 25 Nov 2012 19:28:10 7,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Silver Linings Playbook: 7/10
    The Master: 7/10
    ... didn't you give the latest (and last) Twilight film a higher rating than those two?!

You are mad.
    For all of the cineastic posturing I thought the final Twilight film was an absolute riot, and is one of the films I've most enjoyed seeing at the cinema this year. It's decapitatingly good. Hard to explain.

I really liked Silver Linings, but the tone bothered me. I think it would have been a stronger film if it didn't veer towards farce but instead played the family drama a bit straighter. That's O. Russel for you though.

As for The Master, I think Beastmaster nailed it -- the film starts with this dangerous swagger which morphs into a monotonous plod. It's an awkward movie. As compelling as the scenes are between Phoenix and Hoffman, the film peters out badly. Hard to avoid as that pretty much sums up the nature of the relationship between the two main characters. Some parts were insanely great. In particular:

- Phoenix's aping of a monkey's physicality in the opening sequence
    - The pacing between wall and window, like an animal trapped in a cage
    - The eye colour turning
    - The initial "blink" processing scene on the boat
    - OMG it was mad homoerotic.

Oh, and I just watched Headhunters on Netflix. 5/10.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2012 19:29:33
    Bennys Video - 5/10

A film about a teenage boy becoming desensitized to violence by the graphic images he watches on video.

Still dont know what to think of it tbh, its a very sterile watch.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 25 Nov 2012 19:51:13 12,734 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (imdb) - 85%

Sweet, tender.

Citizen Kane (imdb) - 100%

Transformative. Feel compelled to watch it again.
  • drhcnip 25 Nov 2012 20:16:07 2,268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    last night i had the misfortune of watching ghost town on syfy...

shit/10

that is all
  • tuff 25 Nov 2012 21:56:42 621 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Men in Black
    79%
  • woodnotes 25 Nov 2012 23:10:29 4,916 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How To Train Your Dragon - 9/10

Just beautiful. And surprisingly not Pixar. Probably the only Dreamworks animation aside from the original Shrek that hasn't made me cringe. Loved it.

Ice Age Continental Drift - 4/10

Ugh. Completely unnecessary and soulless.

The Expendables 2 - 6/10

Action, an hour of nothing and then some action. But still a bit of a guilty pleasure with a few witty (although predictable) nods to the past and it was good to see Chuck Norris again. Couldn't help feel that Arnie felt like the ultimate spare part in this though - in every scene he just seemed to uncomfortable and like he'd just popped by to see what was going on whilst filming.
  • Lukus 26 Nov 2012 01:25:08 18,955 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Skyfall

M: Bitch. I'm glad that she died at the end.

8/10

Paintings & Photographs

• Deckard1 26 Nov 2012 10:19:12 25,414 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Safety Not Guaranteed

Bleugh

Called it

• StixxUK 26 Nov 2012 10:47:07 7,173 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Troll Hunter
    65%

Entertaining enough, not really sure what they were going for with it, wasn't scary but I didn't ever get the impression that was the intention.
  • sirtacos 26 Nov 2012 10:50:37 7,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Bitch. I mean M. Judi Dench is great.
  • Blakester 26 Nov 2012 12:24:21 3,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Killer Joe

I watched this with the missus and let's just say she didn't thank me for it. In fact, she wanted to turn it off after less than 5 minutes.

One of the most WTF! films I've ever seen with a cast of utterly unpleasant characters doing nasty and depraved things to each other. The now infamous 'chicken scene' is as eye-popping as I'd read and I doubt Matthew McConaughey has ever been better.

You'll need a good shower afterwards.

80%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• mad_caddy 26 Nov 2012 12:30:59 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Killer Joe is an amazing film :)

The Crow - 97%
    Amadeus - 95%

Picked up the Crow again, haven't seen it for years and truly enjoyed it from start to finish, A lot has been said about the film, the tragedy and its cult status, but Brandon Lees performance is very memorable, the soundtrack is something else as well.

Amadeus, is just a great film, what a film should be, over the top lavish and just a great joy to watch, it's about 3 hours long but felt so much more like an hour and a half. it roars along.

Edited by mad_caddy at 12:31:10 26-11-2012

Edited by mad_caddy at 12:31:32 26-11-2012
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2012 12:31:19 16,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Killer Joe
    The now infamous 'chicken scene'
    It really is quite something. I knew nothing about it before the film so it came as quite a surprise. I think it's a very good film, it's quite horrible for the most part. No character really comes out of it very well.

Weird seeing Gina Gershon looking so rough too.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:32:02 26-11-2012

You are a factory of sadness.

• Blakester 26 Nov 2012 12:32:54 3,357 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    Killer Joe
    The now infamous 'chicken scene'
    It really is quite something. I knew nothing about it before the film so it came as quite a surprise. I think it's a very good film, weird seeing Gina Gershon looking so rough too.
    And so hirsute :D

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• MetalDog 26 Nov 2012 12:34:24 23,706 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I tried watching Amityville Horror II seeing as it's all on youtube.

I got as far as the kids watching the painting on the walls, see how far you can get!

lol/10

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2012 12:34:24 16,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That too. I think the tingle I used to have for her has subsided.

• Gruff 26 Nov 2012 12:35:46 2,774 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paranorman 8/10 Pretty terrific, easily up there with the best of Pixar

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 12:41:32 55,877 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Skyfall – Terrible. Who thought copying the exact plot of Die Hard 4.0 was a good idea? Dinosaur action hero struggles to find his way in an online world before showing the young nerds that you can blow up all of your troubles if you really want to. Utter bullshit.

Ooooonly joking. I thought it was excellent. Its by some margin the best Bond film in the last 20, maybe even 30 years and is one of the best films I have seen this year. It’s solid, thoughtful and exciting in a way that I cant remember another action movie being. Mendes absolutely nailed it and I even did a little fist pump at the end when its all tied up in a neat bow and brings the series back in line with the classics.

I could have lived without the now obligatory trip to china (how much do the Chinese tourist board ‘donate’ to these films?, the shots of bond in the bike chase were quite poor greenscreen and the denouement was at least ten minutes too long but other than that I cant really fault it.

9/10

Edited by nickthegun at 12:42:33 26-11-2012

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2012 12:47:34 16,267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Skyfall
    I could have lived without the now obligatory trip to china (how much do the Chinese tourist board ‘donate’ to these films?, the shots of bond in the bike chase were quite poor greenscreen and the denouement was at least ten minutes too long but other than that I cant really fault it.

9/10
    I should point out that the funky looking escalators were not in China, they were in fact the Broadgate Tower London, not China. Lying film makers.

• Tonka 26 Nov 2012 12:58:03 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they trade Chinese distribution for plugs. Looper being a prime example.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Iain815 26 Nov 2012 22:56:40 386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Argo

Jesus, that was the most intense film I've watched in fucking yonks. Now, I read about the real mission ages ago but couldn't remember the details, whether it was completely successful or if everyone made it out, etc. My heart was racing through the most of it.

9/10
  • pistol 27 Nov 2012 14:50:28 13,019 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cassadaga

2011 horror film which I felt started out quite well and looked like it could be something a bit different compared to the usual modern day flops the industry calls horror, with over the top gore and weak stories. Had a lot of promise but ended up a bit of a mess with a rather predictable ending.

Wasted opportunity IMO - 6/10
  • sirtacos 27 Nov 2012 15:14:54 7,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr. Nobody

Trite, schmaltzy bullshit.
    Jared Leto looks pretty, as does the movie itself. Shame about everything else.

5.5/10
  • Gambit1977 27 Nov 2012 15:19:03 9,568 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Kronos 27 Nov 2012 19:30:31 547 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Amazing(ly dull) Spiderman. Although I liked the Spiderman character and how he moved, a lot less cgi than I was expecting, it was pretty bland overall. The lizard was too big and looked a bit generic and didnt wear his lab coat enough.

6/10
  • Deleted user 27 November 2012 19:37:06
    Cowboys & Aliens (2011) 4/10

The first 20minutes were enjoyable enough. Then the lights appear, there’s fire everywhere and it’s all down here from this moment. After 40 minutes I found myself checking the rear of the cover for run time. 119mins, I thought oh, 1hr and 19mins, only 40mins to go - Yippee!. Then I thought, no, it’s 1hr and 59mins, 1hr and 19mins to go - Arrrg!. My eye lids struggled to stay open, it was a proper endurance test. The large CGI aliens failed to impress in anyway. Once was enough, I couldn’t sit through it a second time. Good job I borrowed it of someone.

The Isle (2000) 8.5/10

Bizarre film to say the least. I liked it for that reason. The film takes the viewer to a place, a large lake. Mute Hee-Jin uses a small boat to take fishermen to small floating brightly painted cabins dotted on the water. From here the fishermen can eat, sleep, and fish. From day to night - night to day the story unfolds, an odd unpredictable story at that.

Edited by blacksea at 19:45:14 27-11-2012
  • Steve_Perry 27 Nov 2012 19:41:55 2,455 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Harry Potter, all of em.

Resisted for years because I always though it looked like the fantasy of some posh cunt at Eton, dreamt up to deflect from all the homoerotic towel flicking.

Yet I thought it was really good actually, the only one I didn't like is part one of the finale, it just seems like they dragged it out (which of course they would). The rest are very good. The adult cast make the film, as most of the kids are dreadful actors. Still not really worthy of the decade of hyperbole, but on the other hand I can see why it was so popular.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• kentmonkey 28 Nov 2012 00:01:48 20,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kronos wrote:
    The Amazing(ly dull) Spiderman. Although I liked the Spiderman character and how he moved, a lot less cgi than I was expecting, it was pretty bland overall. The lizard was too big and looked a bit generic and didnt wear his lab coat enough.

6/10
    Just seen this and despite not looking forward to it, I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were interesting and he plays a great Spiderman.

Plus Emma Stone. In popsocks. Yum!

8/10
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 28 Nov 2012 08:07:41 7,386 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    End of Watch: 9/10

Definitely in my top ten of 2012.
  • Page

of 2589 First / Last