Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2011

• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• evild_edd 20 Nov 2012 13:49:53 3,198 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Wait, why is There Will Be Blood the worst film ever made?
    I think I can speak for everyone involved in the original debate when I suggest we don't go there again.

Edit: Gah! Mugged off with a new page.

Mola_Ram (nice forum name, BTW!) was replying to my question about the master. Feedback/opinions being sought :0) Anyone?

OP:

"Have I missed the reviews, or are people yet to get round to The Master?

Given all the love this forum has for Paul Thomas Anderson's leading candidate for 'The Worst Film Ever Made'
    (TWBB), I was expecting frothy-mouthed praised from everyone.

I like the cast and premise of The Master, but after the dreadful experience of sitting though the aforementioned TWFEM candidate, I'm not sure I can trust him with my money.

Interested in opinions and any comparisons with the film better left unnamed.
    "

Edited by evild_edd at 13:55:59 20-11-2012

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Dangerous_Dan 20 Nov 2012 23:10:46 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Total Recall 2012

WHY!?
    Why is Beckinsale in that movie. Or in general, why the evil female action-antagonist does not work.

Someone kicks Beckinsale in her face.... in Underworld, 1,2,3,4 whatever - works like a charm. The audience feels for our poor action heroine "Now you go girl and show those bad guys how to properly crush them under your heels".

Spoilers ahead!

Imagine Colin Farrell giving her some cuts and bruises. Kiss good-bye your PG-13 rating. Violence against women perpetrated by the hero is not cool bro!
    Besides, most of the viewers would start to feel compassion for poor Bambi, no matter what transpired before. Part of the human condition.

Beckinsale should have played the role of the snake - there would have been enough room to give her screen time for that. Archetypes do work.

So I feel sad. Many things work very well in that movie.
    But Beckinsale does not.

I have no problem with the elevator through the middle of the earth scene. It was all reasonably scientific besides the difficulty of shielding the massive heat within the inner parts of the planet.

The quasi final battle between Bryan Cranston and Farrell could have been more about theatrics and less about old guy gets pwned by young fit guy but hey the fight was still alright.

If they would put out an edition with Beckinsale being replaced by some elite robot in all the action scenes and put in more about the "What is reality and what is just in Farrell's mind" stuff then I'd hand out even an 8.

But as is Beckinsale's role ruins it all.
    Please tell me Wiseman is aware of that.
    Probably nobody had the guts to tell him.

6/10
  • Deleted user 20 November 2012 23:14:59
    Dangerous_Dan wrote:
    @Gambit1977 Actually I liked her very much, not (only) because of the 3 tits but she was a nice (as in personality) hooker. Much nicer than the "I give good wife" robot. She should have been one of the co-stars!
    Sounds like a girl Lexx would love to talk to.
  • Deleted user 20 November 2012 23:24:34
    There will be blood is fucking amazing

Edited by joelstinton at 23:24:51 20-11-2012
  • Rens11 21 Nov 2012 08:21:47 1,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sling Blade

Good performance from Billy Bob Thornton, some of the music didn't quite fit the mood and felt forced.

7.5/10

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• beastmaster 21 Nov 2012 08:58:54 11,992 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seen a few recently.

Die Another Day - 3.5/10

It gets shit as soon as Halle Berry arrives on the scene. I don't give a flying fuck about her character. I find Halle really fucking annoying at the best of times. The CGI is totally woeful. The plot is ludicrous even by 007 standards. Madonna's song and acting should be condemned to the pits of hell.

Plus points? There are a few. Brosnan is superb as Bond, I like the way he gets captured and disavowed (err...wrong franchise?). I though the action sequences were really good too. Mostly. Rosamund Pike, I'd very much like to pike.

Phantoms - 2/10

Affleck IS the bomb in Phantoms. The film is fucking awful though. He's up against alien sludge. Rose Mcgowan wears a really tight jumper and Peter O'Tool shows up loking totally bemused by the whole thing. The 2 is for Affleck and his impressive wearing of a cowboy hat.

The Evil Dead - 10/10

Still fucking brilliant but hasn't really aged that well in terms of effects. Some of them now look like something from the Peter Gabriel video Sledgehammer. The camerawork in this film is what really makes it though. Even today, it still dazzles and it's kind of what everyone wants him to do again intead of doing fucking Oz films (at least I do).

Right then, I'm just going to mention the remake of this. Hands down, it's my most anticiplated film of 2013. I think (hope!) that this will have the power to shock and disgust today and do what the original did for this generation. I though the red band trailer looked amazing. The new poster is making some really bold claims as well. It's been rated NC-17 in the US but they have an obligation to release it as R. Not out till March next year though.

Edited by beastmaster at 09:00:07 21-11-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• GuiltySpark 21 Nov 2012 09:04:24 6,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Evil Dead remake will be shit. The trailer is indiscernible from any other horror film made in the last ten years.

YOU WILL BE DISAPPOINTED

Get bent.

• Gambit1977 21 Nov 2012 09:09:43 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/10186/original/evil-dead-2013-teaser-poster.jpg?1353440026

Edited by Gambit1977 at 09:10:16 21-11-2012
  • Load_2.0 21 Nov 2012 09:44:44 19,670 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Seen a few recently.

Die Another Day - 3.5/10

It gets shit as soon as Halle Berry arrives on the scene.
    Yep the start shows so much promise but it descends into the worst Bond ever.
  • craigy Staff 21 Nov 2012 10:03:36 7,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Outbreak: 8/10
  • ryohazuki1983 21 Nov 2012 10:17:13 741 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sinister - Ethan Hawke plays a true crime novelist who discovers a box of mysterious, disturbing home movies that plunge his family into a nightmarish experience of supernatural horror.

Good performance by Ethan Hawke, however the ending was a bit disappointing. 7/10
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 10:19:11 3,198 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @GuiltySpark

I'm a massive Evil Dead fan (as clues go, my EG name is about as subtle as chainsaw hand), so I can understand how the remake can only be treated with a mixture of suspicion and disdain.

However, I don't actually think the trailer looks that bad. I sort of get your comment regarding the similarity to other horrors, but then could you honestly say that the trailer for the original gave an indication of its awesomeness? At least it's not being film on a shaky, grainy, found footage approach like every other horror film of the past few years.

My problem isn't with the quality of the ED Remake trailer, it's the utter pointlessness of the film's existence. The makers face an impossible choice: they'll be damned if they stay too close to the Evil Dead feel because they can't hope to recapture that shonky, low-budget feel and Bruce Campbell's brilliant Ash; whilst any style which diverts too far from the ED template will only raise the obvious question: "why call it Evil Dead at all?"

Edit: Gambit's link only suggests that it's going for a darker, not-really-Evil-Dead feel. Not sure I'll be able to bring myself to watch it :0(

Edited by evild_edd at 10:20:38 21-11-2012

Why look, it's a blog:

• sport 21 Nov 2012 10:20:40 12,811 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked Phantoms. Some decent scary moments.
  • Gambit1977 21 Nov 2012 10:24:51 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Noone like the poster of Evil Dead I posted? The logo is smart...
    doubt it will be any good of course.

Total Recall (2012) ruined by the fact the director wanted his missus to have centre stage. You'd see the same if Tim Burton directed it!
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2012 10:28:32 3,198 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gambit1977

I like it as a poster, but the problem of "it's just not Evil Dead" remains.

If I'd seen all the promo for the new ED but it was going by another name, I'd be quite excited. Oh the irony...

Why look, it's a blog:

• Gambit1977 21 Nov 2012 10:31:48 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I feel the same. Even seeing the car in the trailer, just felt wrong.
    Remake, sequel, mess...whatever it is.

I DO like the idea of them being completely masochistic sickos, but it's just not needed as a remake.
  • mikeck 21 Nov 2012 10:53:59 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Martha Marcy May Marlene

Beautifully shot film, loved the pacing of the plot, the constant flicks between past and present, and the way the film really got you into the paranoid mindset of the main character.

Elizabeth Olsen was fantastic, she gave a really good performance, and I really felt for her character.

The ending initially felt a bit 'wanky for the sake of it', but the more I think about it, the more I've warmed to the tone of it.

8/10
  • Gambit1977 21 Nov 2012 10:57:03 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elizabeth Olsen is also tres h-o-t!
  • mikeck 21 Nov 2012 10:57:43 1,936 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gambit1977 Indeed, some some nudie shots in it too ;)
  • guts 21 Nov 2012 12:17:13 1,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shutter Island, 85%
    A film well done. Although it's not a new film I won't go into the story as it. Would ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it. It is very atmospheric and although there are a couple of big name actors in the main parts, the 'supporting' actors dis a sterling job of keeping the suspense and flow of the film going. Great plot that has one of those unexpected storylines that comes our of no where all of a sudden and makes you rethink the whole film,

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• damagedinc 21 Nov 2012 13:24:16 964 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    guts wrote:
    Shutter Island, 85%
    A film well done. Although it's not a new film I won't go into the story as it. Would ruin it for anyone that hasn't seen it. It is very atmospheric and although there are a couple of big name actors in the main parts, the 'supporting' actors dis a sterling job of keeping the suspense and flow of the film going. Great plot that has one of those unexpected storylines that comes our of no where all of a sudden and makes you rethink the whole film,
    Books worth a read aswell
  • darkengy 22 Nov 2012 03:55:32 98 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Matrix
    7/10

Had to re-watch since I didn't understand a thing back when I was a kid.

• Deleted user 22 November 2012 04:34:05
    End of Watch - 9/10

Really really good. No specific storyline as such (there is something in the background but it's primarily about the characters), so anyone expecting Training Day 2 will be disappointed, but I thought it was pretty damn good. The scenes in the car are so well done and natural I'm convinced they're almost entirely improvised.
  • guts 22 Nov 2012 07:26:29 1,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cassa De Mi Padre. 90%
    A funny film for those with a bit more of a weird sense of humour. Not a weird film bit not a traditional comedy. Sort of almost a spoof. Will Ferrell plays the main character and it is all in Spanish with subtitles (set in Mexico). Filmed in an old style with painted back drops and crappy special effects. Some good touches to look out for. Not the usual humour you get from 's Ferrell film' but I really enjoyed it. Prob need to watch it a couple of times if you don't speak Spanish as you miss some of the visual Gaga while you read the subtitles.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Gambit1977 22 Nov 2012 07:33:29 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    End of Watch - 9/10

Really really good. No specific storyline as such (there is something in the background but it's primarily about the characters), so anyone expecting Training Day 2 will be disappointed, but I thought it was pretty damn good. The scenes in the car are so well done and natural I'm convinced they're almost entirely improvised.
    The banter between the two leads is superb isn't it.
    I was really worried at first it was just another found footage film until it turned out it wasn't :)
  • craigy Staff 22 Nov 2012 08:03:56 7,841 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm dead excited about seeing End of Watch. Also Silver Linings Playbook, weirdly.
  • Gambit1977 22 Nov 2012 08:06:30 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, although I didn't like his last film, Bradley Cooper is quite a watchable fellow.
  • Lotos8ter 22 Nov 2012 09:00:22 2,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    I'm dead excited about seeing End of Watch. Also Silver Linings Playbook, weirdly.
    Same here. Jennifer Lawrence is very good and I really liked Cooper in Limitless (at least until I read the book)

Fiat Lux

• Dante_Cubit 22 Nov 2012 09:06:52 1,932 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Yeah, although I didn't like his last film, Bradley Cooper is quite a watchable fellow.
    You do get the impression that he can genuinely act but is destined to be underrated due to being a pretty boy and appearing in a string of shite films...
  • Page

of 2863 First / Last