Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1979

• Page

of 2862 First / Last

• evild_edd 11 Oct 2012 17:13:45 3,198 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Totally forgot to review THG when I watched it a few weeks ago. It's very much a 5/10 for me.

My main gripe was that it the games should've been the pay-off for the long build-up, but actually they were completely underwhelming. I found it particularly galling that the main character was forced in to every kill. I think they missed an opportunity to blur the lines between her actions being justifiable and immoral.

Whilst the future (dystopia) setting was hardly the most amazing thing, it was actually more interesting than the games themselves. Having not read the book I spent the whole time feeling as though I was only being told half the story - something I never felt with the Harry Potter films (the first 5, anyway) or the LotR (which I had read but didn't feel it was lacking).

It wasn't a bad film as such, just completely forgettable and unremarkable. I find it slightly offensive that the makers claimed to have not heard of Battle Royale when there were an uncomfortable number of similarities.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 17:15:36
    Yeah, the problem is that it's part one of a distinct three part story. The entire film is buildup to two and three, and in that respect it really doesn't work that well as a movie.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2012 17:16:53 24,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Will the sequels have ferocious monster dogs?

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 17:17:42
    Sort of. The dogs in the books are actually the mutated remains of the previous tributes. They do similar things in books 2 and 3.

Edited by meme at 17:17:56 11-10-2012
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2012 17:21:16 24,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh. That's actually pretty fucked-up, I would have been happier if there was some suggestion of what they were. In the film they just seemed like solid holograms.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• CharlieStCloud 11 Oct 2012 17:24:00 5,530 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Having not read the book I spent the whole time feeling as though I was only being told half the story.
    ... having read the book myself, I can confirm that what you are saying is loosely true.

Whilst the book never went into detail of the deaths in a horrific manner, I still could not believe just how tame things were in the Hunger Games arena ... really, really poor stuff!

I watched the film with a couple of friends and they liked it however, once they had both read the book(s), they changed their minds quite dramatically and no longer admired the movie the way the two of them did when they walked out of the cinema.

It shall never happen, but the sequel should aim for a 15 rating instead of playing it safe for a teenage audience, which is a crying shame.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 17:24:57
    The hologram thing was just them controlling the arena. The dogs were real things.

They had to throw in things like that (showing them pissing about with the hologram display) for the sake of exposition - the book is entirely from Katniss's perspective, so there's no scenes outside of the arena, and you couldn't very well have her do a short monologue on where the dogs came from when they're trying to tear out her spleen.

But yeah, they were shit regardless.

Edited by meme at 17:25:35 11-10-2012
  • Mikeeeboy1 11 Oct 2012 17:25:17 167 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    @disusedgenius
    I wasn't offended by the film!
    But if the story is about a very violent game then
    show some bloody violence.
    A film about violence for babies.
    Give me Rambo any day.
    Thats violence
    Personally I think your 5% rating is a bit of a joke. I understand you wanted violence, but didn't the classification give you some kind of hint of what was (or more accurately what wasn't) to follow?

Even if you hated the story, acting, direction and/or production values, 5% is less than 1/10 and I'd wager you've seen a lot worse than the Hunger Games and rated it higher.
    I didn't give it 5%.
    I was replying to another comment.
    I would give it 40/100 for the filmmaker set out to
    make a creditable film and did so.
    The film is most obviously not aimed at my sex or age group.
  • beastmaster 11 Oct 2012 17:26:44 11,990 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Oh. That's actually pretty fucked-up, I would have been happier if there was some suggestion of what they were. In the film they just seemed like solid holograms.
    This. I just ended up thinking why the fuck didn't they conjure up Godzilla if thery could do that shit at random? Would have been a much better film.

Red Tails is still the worst I've seen this year. This is a close second.

Edited by beastmaster at 17:27:26 11-10-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2012 17:36:55 24,422 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, confusing right? It came across terribly and the film didn't really need them.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Bremenacht 11 Oct 2012 20:07:02 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, it didn't work. One of the themes is supposed to be how abusive, controlling and manipulative the people behind the games are (and other such people, in the later books), but it didn't come across well.

I don't see how the later books will come across well either really. The games themselves are sort of a distillment of the fucked-up society in which they're based, yet many people going to see this film will do so based on the promise of teens creatively killing each-other in an arena. Bit of a real-life cross-over there, ha ha. Yet, the story outside the arena could be rather boring, as it often was in THG. A tricky balance.

ANyway. I liked it, and I vote for this thread to replace the Prometheus thread as a place for vehement disagreement and personal abuse \o/. I really, really don't!

Edited by Bremenacht at 20:14:18 11-10-2012
  • megastar 11 Oct 2012 21:11:01 17,197 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's just fundamentally a bad, bad movie!

It offended me immensely by it's sheer brilliance at being a complete waste of time.

I forced myself through it as by the time i had realised it was going nowhere i had invested about an hour into it. The "mrs" who stopped watching it about a 3rd the way through came close when she said "this is gay, it's like The Running Man but for the Twilight generation".

Fuck this film!
  • craigy Staff 12 Oct 2012 08:59:13 7,837 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sweet Smell of Success: 8/10
  • dr_swin 12 Oct 2012 09:12:41 4,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone got the Blu Ray version The Hunger Games?
  • richarddavies 12 Oct 2012 09:13:00 2,910 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Raid

Fookin spunktastic.

8/10
  • Blakester 12 Oct 2012 09:28:34 3,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This Means War

It's a McG film, so expectations were low.

Surprised to find I actually enjoyed it. It's frothy and light but has some chuckles and good chemistry between the leads.

A little unusual to see Tom Hardy playing the sensitive type, but the biggest distraction was the size of Chris Pine's hair which probably needed a trailer of its own. The wife and I also agreed it didn't end the way either of us wanted to, but that's probably because we're not American :D

75%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Kosmoz 12 Oct 2012 09:35:18 7,768 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Primer.

Pretty unsettling stuff. Mad time travel shit goes down. Made over 6000% profit at the box office.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Ziz0u 12 Oct 2012 09:39:09 8,648 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cannibal Holocaust

Yeah... I was looking forward to this, but after watching the first couple of minutes on my laptop sat at my desk, I couldn't be assed to plug in the HDMI to watch it on the TV.

The only "shocking" parts were when they killed animals. The rest was pretty lame.

10%
  • ryohazuki1983 12 Oct 2012 09:49:15 741 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bride of Chucky - 7/10 - This is a comedy-horror which pokes fun at itself and horror flicks in general, nothing ground-breaking but worth a watch IMHO.

Seed of chucky tonight, then going to watch 1-3 as it's been ages since I've seen them.
  • Blakester 12 Oct 2012 09:55:45 3,664 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    Bride of Chucky - 7/10 - This is a comedy-horror which pokes fun at itself and horror flicks in general, nothing ground-breaking but worth a watch IMHO.

I would happily watch Bride of Chucky on an endless loop.

That has nothing to do with my love for Jennifer Tilly....honest!

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• -cerberus- 12 Oct 2012 15:56:37 3,628 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Score

Fairly entertaining and tense heist flick with very little to no violence and excellent performances throughout. However, the soundtrack is distractingly terrible and almost ruins all action scenes. Also worth noting is that this was Marlon Brando's last feature film but sadly both his character and performance are very forgettable.

6.5/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 16:04:34 12-10-2012

People are bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling.

• Lotos8ter 12 Oct 2012 18:41:39 2,366 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Perks of being a Wallflower 8/10

I felt a bit of a tit sitting on my own watching this, the other (6) people in the cinema were all couples.
    Anyways, good cast and performances and a faithful adaptation of the (great) book. I really enjoyed it - there's a good story with a bite and some ace music. The only duff note was they struggle to identify a song from a mixtape - Heroes by David Bowie.
    Still enjoyed it though

Fiat Lux

• Tomo 12 Oct 2012 18:50:34 13,980 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looper - 9/10

Brilliant. I was engrossed from start to finish. A little predictable perhaps, but that didn't really detract.
  • beastmaster 12 Oct 2012 20:36:21 11,990 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Below Zero - 6/10

It's got some clever ideas but not enough horror or gore. Not enough thrills to be a thriller either. It's okay though.

Starring the dude who played John Conner in Terminator 2 after years in rehab etc. This is kind of a cross between Alan Wake on the 360 and a bunch of other horror stories.

It's about a writer who has block who gets locked in a freezer till he comes up with a script. He ends up writing about a guy in a freezer who gets locked in there by a serial killer by accident and doesn't know he's there. Or something. The writer of the film got locked in a freezer too. Wow, that's a lot of freezers!

It's got the scary dude from The Hills Have Eyes and if you watch the trailer it looks as though it's going to be a gore-fest. It's nothing of the sort. Dude in freezer starts going nuts and then it does the whole 'what is real?' sort of thing.

On reflection, it IS pretty damn clever. Yet, I wouldn't recommend it as a Friday or Saturday night kind of film. More of a Thursday night film, which is when I watched it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• SergeantMajorFury 12 Oct 2012 20:58:35 336 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just saw the Ace Attorney film at the GFT. Fucking excellent as a video game adaptation, but it would more than probably bewilder anybody who doesn't know anything about the games. So:

As a video game adaptation 90%

As a film, more like 65%.
  • -cerberus- 12 Oct 2012 22:32:56 3,628 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Fog (1980)

I knew there was something so shamelessly familiar about Alan Wake...
    Anyway, I haven't seen this one since my early teens! A very dated but still very thrilling and enthralling horror classic.

7.5/10

• MadCaddy13 12 Oct 2012 22:45:13 2,059 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Who sits in the cinema on their own? I could never do it. For one I would feel like a tit and for another I would feel really lonely!
  • -cerberus- 12 Oct 2012 22:47:54 3,628 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Deckard1 Aw man, that's a shame... :( Something similar happened with another horror flick I was very much looking forward to back in '09 called Splice.

• Page

of 2862 First / Last