Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1978

• Page

of 2743 First / Last

• ronuds 10 Oct 2012 22:11:41 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Puss In Boots

Didn't think I'd like this nearly as much as the first couple of Shreks, but surprisingly it may be even better! The story, cast, script, etc. - all top notch stuff. I wasn't thrilled about Salma, but these things I can overlook... Zach as Humpty made up for her shortcomings anyway.

93/100
  • psychokitten Moderator 10 Oct 2012 22:15:07 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I started watching The Tall Man last night. Switched off after 20 mins.
    You're not missing much, they try to do something different with the story about half way through, but it's just dull, really.
  • Gretters 10 Oct 2012 23:26:45 2,628 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ice Age 4: 78%. Five minutes Scrat and 90 minutes He-Man esque after school special / very special episode preaching. The funny bits *are* funny, though.
  • megastar 10 Oct 2012 23:41:20 17,176 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Hunger Games 5%

This is a fucking dreadful movie. I would rest easier tonight if i was told that each and every person responsible for the making of this film (from the director, to the leading stars, to the tea lady on set) were never going to be working on another movie again.

This is a movie about violence that contains absolutely no violence.

This is a movie about people killing each other that has noone die for the first hour!

It's crap! Even the future setting was boring. Basically everyone just wears stupid suits and paints their hair wacky colours.

Nothing of any merit happens over the span of the painful 2 hour plus duration of this film.
  • Tonka 11 Oct 2012 06:18:16 20,143 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looper
    I wish every film could be this good. I wish every visit to the cinema would be this pleasant. I wish every director could get this much out of his actors. I wish Rian Johnson could make a film every year. I wish my previous boss (who happens to be the worst person I ever worked with and the bigegst asshat in general) wasn't one bankrolling this.

I wish every vision of the future felt this solid. I wish every clichéd tear jerker made me cry big manly tears like Looper did. I wish I hadn't seen it so that I could go and see it tonight.

A must see

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2012 07:17:48 59,298 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    psychokitten wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    You're not missing much, they try to do something different with the story about half way through, but it's just dull, really.
    The bit where he shags emma thompson and explodes thst milk carton with his arse is really funny, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• CosmicFuzz 11 Oct 2012 07:41:11 23,679 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sinister

Very good. Slightly weak ending I thought, and the odd moment I didn't like, but overall it's a very effective horror. Consists mainly of the "build build build JUMP!" scares, but the build up lasts for (what feels like) a few minutes at times, and it's just constant. One scare in particular had me extremely stressed waiting for the fright to kick in!

75%

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 07:42:44
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Nvidia-GeForce-DirectCU-Graphics/dp/B0082UY4ZC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349937659&sr=8-7

I got one of those and it's real nice. As fast as a stock 680 according to the various reviews and benchmarks.
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2012 07:43:19 67,015 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    Slap Shot - 6.5/10

This was the first viewing for me and it wasn't as funny as expected. Paul Newman was good, but then I don't think I've ever seen him do average or less anyway.

Fun afternoon diversion but The Goon is probably my pick for repeated viewings.
    Slap Shot is just brilliant. Did you see the full on violence version? Seen a few tv edits which were dreadful, watered down crap. I love it though, makes me howl every time.
  • Blakester 11 Oct 2012 09:24:55 3,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Raid

Was looking forward to seeing this after all the positivity in the thread, but wasn't really prepared for just how brutal it is.

Frenetic, bone-crunching fight sequences from start to finish that either make you wince or say "oh fuck" over and over again.

90%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• nickthegun 11 Oct 2012 09:25:57 59,298 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oi wrote:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Nvidia-GeForce-DirectCU-Graphics/dp/B0082UY4ZC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349937659&sr=8-7

I got one of those and it's real nice. As fast as a stock 680 according to the various reviews and benchmarks.
    Marks out of 100 or gtfo

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• craigy Staff 11 Oct 2012 09:34:31 7,566 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz I thought the ending was pretty weak too. I loved that they've found a way to do found-footage without it being the sole viewpoint of the story, though.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Oct 2012 09:45:44 23,679 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @craigy yeah I agree. The footage was used in a very effective way, mostly just a little unnerving, but the lawnmower one actually had me slightly terrified :D

We're celebrating 75 years of Batman - and here's my look back at Rocksteady's Arkham series.

• localnotail 11 Oct 2012 09:54:57 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fantomex wrote:
    I re-watched American Psycho a couple of days ago. It's a great film but I don't really get the ending. It wasn't a great idea watch it after I had a crappy day at work, it gave me ideas. Ideas I would never act on of course...

So he didn't kill all those people and just imagined it?
    That is the question. Opinion is divided.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2012 10:33:23 7,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    Fantomex wrote:
    I re-watched American Psycho a couple of days ago. It's a great film but I don't really get the ending. It wasn't a great idea watch it after I had a crappy day at work, it gave me ideas. Ideas I would never act on of course...

So he didn't kill all those people and just imagined it?
    That is the question. Opinion is divided.
    The worst possibility for him is that he did do all that stuff, but nobody cares because a) he looks like everyone else, and b) they're so preoccupied with their own bullshit that nobody notices what is happening. There's no catharsis for him, because he will never be caught.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 10:41:39 11-10-2012
  • JoeBlade 11 Oct 2012 13:27:23 2,508 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The worst possibility for him is that he did do all that stuff, but nobody cares because a) he looks like everyone else, and b) they're so preoccupied with their own bullshit that nobody notices what is happening. There's no catharsis for him, because he will never be caught.
    That's indeed how I interpreted it: every one of his colleagues and competitors is so stuck up their own arse they don't know Jimmy from Johnny without a business card in front of them and his self-important murdering spree is thus completely lost on everyone. I always thought that was the point of the story but after a number of discussions on the topic I'd say opinion is divided allright :p
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2012 13:35:34 7,128 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some of the stuff he does is probably in his head. Like that business with the ATM and the exploding cop cars. Some of the things in the book are more ambiguous on that question.

But at any rate, whether the murders are real or not isn't really that important in the scheme of things. imo the book and film does not consider that to be a particularly important question.
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 14:26:52 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Thing (2011)

The best I had hoped for out of this was mediocrity and I think it provided at least that. They completely failed in their attempts to recreate some of the original's iconic scenes, and also in providing anywhere near the amount of tension. In terms of special effects they managed to make the movie look less convincing than the one from 1982. Way to go!

69/100
  • Machetazo 11 Oct 2012 15:17:59 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I took a chance on Babylon AD, and it turned out not too bad.

Vin Diesel stars as a mercenary driver hired to transport Aurora, a girl kept apart from outside influences entirely, through life in a convent. Vin's employer needs her to reach the USA from Russia. Set in a decayed, downtrodden future the film is visually interesting. Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger) plays the ward of Aurora, and for me, put in the best performance by having presence enough to prevent her character fading in to the background behind Vin.
    74/100

Quills is a film about the incarcerated Marquis de Sade's writings, his need to write, and the efforts he'll go to to get his pieces published, even as the ruling classes would see his work condemned and outlawed, also the steps taken by the staff.
    I found this one an enjoyable watch, largely due to the antics and script from Geoffrey Rush, as the Marquis, and his interactions with the other characters, including Michael Caine's Dr. Royer-Collard, and co-conspirator Madeleine, one of the asylum housekeeping maids.

Very nice period sets: Glimpse the trailer for aesthetics and more. In terms of a score: 92/100 - buzzes along nicely.

Children of the Corn - 2009. Not that great of a choice, but by no means a bad watch either. Not that much to say about it. Child actors play the roles of the faithful to He Who Walks Behind the Rows. I haven't seen the original version for a comparison opinion against this version, but I think it's simply a modern retelling of the original plot. I liked the photography, and in places there was an eeriness about the film. 61/100

Edited by Machetazo at 15:30:37 11-10-2012
  • Mikeeeboy1 11 Oct 2012 16:28:25 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    The Hunger Games 5%

This is a fucking dreadful movie. I would rest easier tonight if i was told that each and every person responsible for the making of this film (from the director, to the leading stars, to the tea lady on set) were never going to be working on another movie again.

This is a movie about violence that contains absolutely no violence.

This is a movie about people killing each other that has noone die for the first hour!

It's crap! Even the future setting was boring. Basically everyone just wears stupid suits and paints their hair wacky colours.

Nothing of any merit happens over the span of the painful 2 hour plus duration of this film.
    I feel your pain.
    I thought it was a big pile of stinking shit too
  • disusedgenius 11 Oct 2012 16:30:40 5,264 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nah, it was fine for what it was.I could hardly bring myself to be offended by it or anything.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2012 16:33:43
    /obligatory "Have you read the books?" question
  • ronuds 11 Oct 2012 16:38:02 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Those are the first negative comments for Hunger Games I've ever seen on EG.
  • Mikeeeboy1 11 Oct 2012 16:39:09 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @disusedgenius
    I wasn't offended by the film!
    But if the story is about a very violent game then
    show some bloody violence.
    A film about violence for babies.
    Give me Rambo any day.
    Thats violence
  • evild_edd 11 Oct 2012 16:43:24 3,045 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    psychokitten wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    The bit where he shags emma thompson and explodes thst milk carton with his arse is really funny, though.
    *applauds*

Thank you for reminding me of the gently humorous Jeff Goldblum film. My 10(ish)-year-old self* found the sex scene both amusing and exciting (in a forbidden way) when I first saw it. Ah, the innocence of youth! I seem to recall a piano being involved somewhere in there as well...

*give or take a couple of years.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Blakester 11 Oct 2012 16:47:23 3,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    @disusedgenius
    I wasn't offended by the film!
    But if the story is about a very violent game then
    show some bloody violence.
    A film about violence for babies.
    Give me Rambo any day.
    Thats violence
    Personally I think your 5% rating is a bit of a joke. I understand you wanted violence, but didn't the classification give you some kind of hint of what was (or more accurately what wasn't) to follow?

Even if you hated the story, acting, direction and/or production values, 5% is less than 1/10 and I'd wager you've seen a lot worse than the Hunger Games and rated it higher.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Deleted user 11 October 2012 16:49:46
    The story isn't about the violence in itself, though. The story is about the -idea- that these kids are fighting to the death by decree of the state.

Plus, y'know, it is fundamentally a kids movie anyway. Or "young adult" or whatever.
  • kalel 11 Oct 2012 16:51:56 86,743 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not a brilliant film, but I wouldn't say it's a totally awful one either.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Oct 2012 17:02:20 22,615 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    For me the final third, which should have been the best bit of the film was a total load of wank. The moment ferocious monster dogs were put on the board and into the field of play for real was a severe shark jump for me. Utter crap.

I did enjoy the lead-in to the Games themselves though and Woody is always good value.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:03:03 11-10-2012

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• Page

of 2743 First / Last