craigy doesn't get it.
  • craigy Staff 8 Oct 2012 11:14:59 7,650 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    to be fair I don't get much of much.
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 11:18:47 3,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think my biggest problem was the way Sigourney Weaver is trotted out at the end to explain what's going on to the audience.

For a film that tries to take horror in a new, interesting direction, it really shouldn't need a "Basil Exposition" type character.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• sport 8 Oct 2012 11:19:50 12,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    I think my biggest problem was the way Sigourney Weaver is trotted out at the end to explain what's going on to the audience.

For a film that tries to take horror in a new, interesting direction, it really shouldn't need a "Basil Exposition" type character.
    Some people didn't get it.
  • Blaketown 8 Oct 2012 11:22:06 4,650 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can't gloss over the 'not scary' thing. If you are going to make a movie that deconstructs the horror genre you need to have the common decency to make it scary.

It was a massive missed opportunity in my opinion.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• sport 8 Oct 2012 11:23:24 12,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm being DPed by the Blakes /o\
  • craigy Staff 8 Oct 2012 11:24:03 7,650 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A lot of people have misrepresented it as a film that pushes horror in a brave new direction, when really it's just a critique of modern horror movies. It reminds me a lot of the manatee plot-picker thing that South Park did when they dissed Family Guy. Critique is fine, of course, but I'd have preferred to see actual reinvention.
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 11:26:13 3,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sport wrote:
    You won't be the last...

• Tonka 8 Oct 2012 11:27:16 20,403 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did they ever set out to push horror in a new direction? I think you are putting words in their mouths.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mrpon 8 Oct 2012 11:28:24 28,895 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Scariest bit for me....when the title logo appears!

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• sirtacos 8 Oct 2012 11:31:25 7,280 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The film wasn't 'trying' to reinvent the genre. It was just a fun, clever and well-executed meta wank.
  • sport 8 Oct 2012 11:31:39 12,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Did they ever set out to push horror in a new direction? I think you are putting cocks in their mouths.
    /o\
  • Blaketown 8 Oct 2012 12:54:13 4,650 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    sport wrote:
    You won't be the last...
    ** hi-fives **

Brap, brap, old chap.

• bad09 8 Oct 2012 12:57:39 5,895 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Prometheus

Scott's lost his touch big time on this one. Nice CGI but totally uninteresting plot and characters. Kinda pissed on alien in the process to so I really wish I hadn't bothered at all. Utter waste of 2 hours.

30%
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 13:01:03 3,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    The film wasn't 'trying' to reinvent the genre. It was just wank.
    Fixed it for you :D

• sport 8 Oct 2012 13:03:02 12,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now it's bad09's turn!
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 13:10:50 5,895 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Now it's bad09's turn!
    My turn for what? Is saying that turd is a turd the new "taken is alright" statement round here? :)
  • sport 8 Oct 2012 13:12:19 12,711 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Now it's bad09's turn!
    My turn for what? Is saying that turd is a turd the new "taken is alright" statement round here? :)
    No, it's your turn to be DPed by the Blakes!
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 13:16:08 5,895 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "DPed?" :eek:
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 8 Oct 2012 13:22:13 7,010 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Posted this in The Looper thread, may as well post here as well:

I saw it last night and thought it was utterly brilliant and can't fault it. You can get in to a tedious argument about whether the timey-wimey-ness of it works however that misses the point - at it's core it's about the impact that choices and actions have on those you are connected to and the butterfly effect of events.

I thought the cinematography and SFX were top-notch, the script deftly balanced lighter moments with heavier emotionally charged scenes and the cinephilic references were knowing, respectful and worn lightly.

However it's the preformances that really stand out and JGL in particular delivers a brilliant take as the younger Joe without every descending into caricature. However Emiliy Blunt also impresses hugely, as does support from Jeff Daniels and Paul Dano.

As a mainstream film it dares to do things I've never seen before such as older Joe executing the innocent boy - a moment I found particularly emotionally devasting.

I know a lot of people have issues with the pacing but I loved that the story and relationships were given a chance to breathe and develop - so often in modern cinema directors feel the need to keep a film 'pacy' but end up jettison important things such as character development and emotional engagement.

It's a film full of ideas that skips between genres with an assured swagger - moving between sci-fi, horror, western and drama and back again - and proves that populist doesn't have to mean 'leave your brain at the door' shite.

10/10
  • Chopsen 8 Oct 2012 14:34:43 15,949 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cabin in the Woods was great. If you didn't understand exactly what was going on way before Weaver turned up then that film really wasn't for you. Her explaining stuff was more for the benefit of the characters I think rather than the audience. Of course, you could argue that this was a lazy device, but hey ho.

I don't really get the "not scary" thing either. True, I didn't shit my pants, but neither do I with any of the other painfully formulaic scares-by-numbers stuff that comes out these days under the banner of horror.

It's film for fans of the genre. The references are as subtle as a brick to the face, but that doesn't make it any less fun. I think they may have started with the premise of "what if the Cthulhu mythos was real, and the government knew about it all along? How would that play out?" and if you don't find that interesting you have no business watching it.

Although it obviously loves horror, it does have a dig at it as well. It hints at questions about desensitisation and horror, though it never really explores it with the commitment that "Funny Games" did. It also plays with the idea of how horror films are so formulaic.

If you don't like it, then fair enough. This film is not for everyone. I fucking loved it.
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 14:46:23 3,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Cabin in the Woods was great. If you didn't understand exactly what was going on way before Weaver turned up then that film really wasn't for you. Her explaining stuff was more for the benefit of the characters I think rather than the audience. Of course, you could argue that this was a lazy device, but hey ho.

I don't really get the "not scary" thing either. True, I didn't shit my pants, but neither do I with any of the other painfully formulaic scares-by-numbers stuff that comes out these days under the banner of horror.

It's film for fans of the genre. The references are as subtle as a brick to the face, but that doesn't make it any less fun. I think they may have started with the premise of "what if the Cthulhu mythos was real, and the government knew about it all along? How would that play out?" and if you don't find that interesting you have no business watching it.

Although it obviously loves horror, it does have a dig at it as well. It hints at questions about desensitisation and horror, though it never really explores it with the commitment that "Funny Games" did. It also plays with the idea of how horror films are so formulaic.

If you don't like it, then fair enough. This film is not for everyone. I fucking loved it.
    Blimey, where do I start?

I clearly knew what was going on before the arrival of Ms. Weaver, but I'm not sure how you can say her exposition was for the other characters benefit, unless this film operates at some advanced level where there is no intended audience (that really would be a first). There is just nothing smart about spoon-feeding the audience in the final 3rd because you don't think they are sophisticated enough to understand what's going on.

Also, if it loves horror, then why doesn't it have decent scares like all great horrors, or is it ironic?

• Chopsen 8 Oct 2012 14:57:03 15,949 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's for the characters benefit because otherwise their final dialogue can't happen. You need to know that they now, or the decision they both arrive at where they say "fuck humanity, let the ancient gods have a crack" couldn't happen. Of course you could have gone with a different ending entirely... The audience's need to know wasn't the motivation for that. And what do you mean spoonfeeding? It was, you know, just showing the audience what was going on. This film isn't high-brow. It's not some cunning riddle with a genius twist on the end. It has no pretensions of being something it wasn't. It was quite linear and logical in how it panned out.

If a film needs to have jump-scares in it to make it entertaining for you, then there are an abundance of films out there that have that. Like I said, I didn't sit there watching this film thinking "hmm, I'm not scared" I enjoyed it on its own terms.
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 15:02:02 3,612 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    It's for the characters benefit because otherwise their final dialogue can't happen. You need to know that they now, or the decision they both arrive at where they say "fuck humanity, let the ancient gods have a crack" couldn't happen. Of course you could have gone with a different ending entirely... The audience's need to know wasn't the motivation for that. And what do you mean spoonfeeding? It was, you know, just showing the audience what was going on. This film isn't high-brow. It's not some cunning riddle with a genius twist on the end. It has no pretensions of being something it wasn't. It was quite linear and logical in how it panned out.

If a film needs to have jump-scares in it to make it entertaining for you, then there are an abundance of films out there that have that. Like I said, I didn't sit there watching this film thinking "hmm, I'm not scared" I enjoyed it on its own terms.
    Generally speaking, I like horror films to be scary, comedies to be funny and dramas to be dramatic. I honestly don't think that's too much to ask.

• disusedgenius 8 Oct 2012 15:04:01 5,314 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds thrilling.
  • Chopsen 8 Oct 2012 15:04:50 15,949 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So I can understand what you find "scary" can you give me an example of a properly scary horror film then?
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 15:47:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cowboys & Aliens

More puny aliens, this time foiled by a guy with a thing on his wrist, six shooters and spears.

Mostly stupid, but still entertaining to a small extent. Not sure I'd watch it again, though. I would, but there'd have to be nothing else on.

55/100
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 18:02:15 5,895 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooh with the horror of Prometheus I forgot another one I watched this weekend.

Indie Game

Nice look at some of the success stories in the indie business in recent years. Looking at the process, struggles and people behind games such as Fez and Super Meatboy. Some of them come across as rather pretentious and snobbish at times (well they are indies! :) ) but then sometimes it's rather touching. Well made and interesting documentary that anyone into games should have a look at (it's on Netflix now).

Reminded me I've still haven't got round to Super Meatboy to!

80%
  • beastmaster 8 Oct 2012 19:36:23 11,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Him Indoors - 10/10
    Hilarious short with the guy from League of Gentlemen and the woman from The Woman.

The trailer offers a brief glimpse but really doesn't do it justice. The clip is taken out of context but you get an idea what it's about. It's really funny and also quite gory.

Just watch it if you can get hold of it.

Stitches - 10/10

They saved the best till last at Grimmfest. Absolutely bloody brilliant!

The laughs start right from the off and just keep on coming. Getting gorier and funnier as the film progresses.

The trailer gives you an idea of how gory it is and dark it is in places. What it doesn't show you are the laughs. It's very, very lewd and crude.

Ross Noble is just so good in it, you can't imagine anyone else playing the role. He plays Stitches as a proper miserable bastard from start to finish. Alive and dead.

Plot? Horrible kids ("little shits!") accidentally kill the clown at their party and he comes back from the dead 6 years later to get revenge.

It's got the kind of inventive death scenes that Final Destination can only dream about. The teens really do get what's coming to them. One death scene in particular is just so outrageously OTT and gory it had everyone cheering and clapping. But it kept on going and the response it got was immense. The noise from the crowd drowned out the one-liner which was piss funny. We found this out later because...

Ross Noble was there as well, sat with the audience watching the film. He was chuffed to bits by the response both during the film and when he went up for the Q&A. I've not really seen any of his stuff before but dear god, I was crying laughing. He knows his horror too.

I really can't wait to see this again when it comes out on Oct 26th. It's incredibly funny, gory, well paced and has some superb special effects. The aforementioned death scene is also the best and funniest I've seen. Ever.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• monkehhh 8 Oct 2012 19:37:51 3,313 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @beastmaster You go through films like TechnoHippy goes through TV series, impressive!
  • Page

of 2767 First / Last