Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1974

• Page

of 2743 First / Last

• Steve_Perry 7 Oct 2012 23:08:31 3,807 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Silent Hill. 6/10

Not really scary at all. No idea what happened at the end.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• MadCaddy13 7 Oct 2012 23:46:08 1,869 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cabin in the woods

I knew there'd be a major twist in after countless people were going 'I didn't see that coming!' So I was prepared for anything.
    It was really interesting - I liked it. The idea is pretty ingenious. And I just don't know what it is! It's in it's own genre. Won't go any further than that.

• Max_Powers 7 Oct 2012 23:55:49 1,097 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moonrise Kingdom 9/10

Most complete Wes Anderson film since The Royal Tenenbaums and very cute. Only the last 10 minutes were a bit to slapstick for my liking.
  • beastmaster 8 Oct 2012 00:12:16 11,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I stand corrected on my Jason and Mike Myers balls up.

The Eschatrilogy - 8/10

A world premiere no less. A superb zombie apocalypse film that's a bit different from the usual zombie films.

This is different from your usual zombie films. Filmed in Barnsley, Wakefield and Sheffield which gives the film a very different vibe from most others.

The plot is a trilogy of stories that have been documented by a lone traveller. The traveller stumbles across a lone survivor who spends his time gathering the dead before they turn and disposing of them. The survivor gets hold of the journal and the tales are told on screen.

What really gives the film it's power though are that the zombies are not totally mindless. Some still have memories of the life before but are powerless against their primal urges which is to eat people. It works really well in quite a few scenes. There's always a risk with these kind of films that the zombies become laughable as they are so OTT. Not here.

It does have some very, very dark humour in here but it's far and few between. There's also a sinister shadowy figure who links the three tales together. It's not obvious as to what his motives are.

The best zombie film I've seen in a while. It's really quite bleak though.

Basket Case - 8/10 WTF??

Classic 80's OTT horror and gore.

One of those to watch after a load of tinnies. Or with a cinema full of horror affectionados. This film is just so outrageously OTT is brilliant. It's also very, very funny.

Tons of blood, guts, gore, humour, crappy special effects and a so very wrong sex scene that's wort watching this film alone for.

Crawl - 2/10

The trailer makes it look way better than it really is. Job done I suppose.

I was hoping for a bit of Red Rock West crossed with the Coen Brothers. It's actually got quite a decent plot about a hired hit man, double-crosses and a few odd characters. But it ends up becoming a boring man stalking woman in a house film.

There's nothing else worth mentioning. Not recommended at all.

Way too tired to review the short Him Indoors and the feature length Stitches. I need time to rave about how great these films are.

Ross Noble come on for the Stitches Q&A after the film and had everyone in the audience in them. Full reviews tomorrow evening.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• IronGiant 8 Oct 2012 00:30:55 4,482 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Snow White and The Huntsman - 6/10 Looks nice enough but for a fantasy action adventure it's really quite dull and about 30 minutes too long.

I'm sure all the Taken fans here will be amused/bemused to find out that Taken 2 has grabbed $50m in it's opening weekend in the US alone! Cue plans for another one...
  • -cerberus- 8 Oct 2012 00:38:47 2,635 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Apocalypse Now Redux

First time watching the redux version. 3:16' is quite a running time... Not that I didn't enjoy it but - as was the case when I watched the original a great many years ago - I couldn't wait for the Willard vs Kurtz bit, only the extended/additional scenes made the whole thing drag a tad bit too long.
    I'd also like to add that I decided to watch the movie in preparation for Spec Ops: The Line which should arrive here some time this week.

8.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• sirtacos 8 Oct 2012 02:34:17 7,271 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Shutter (2004)

Thai horror film about 'spirit photography'.
    It's the best horror flick I've seen in a while.
    For the most part, it's quite restrained, which makes it more effective.
    Aside from the protagonist being a spineless twattycake, the acting is quite good for the genre, and the effects are suitably creepy.

I enjoyed it, but I've yet to find a horror film that properly gets me. EVen Ringu did absolutely nothing for me.
    I long for the simpler childhood days of shitting myself during the 6th Sense or The Shining. I think that was the high water mark. :(

6.6/10

The Beckoning Silence

Joe Simpson, the survivor from Touching the Void, revisits the story that inspired him to climb. It's touching, terrifying, and sad.
    The climbing in this film is scarier than anything I have ever seen in a horror movie.

These people have a passion that pushes them to a place that is awesome and incomprehensible. Imagine hanging on to life by your fingernails, looking down into a yawning chasm, and being smacked in the face with the visceral realisation of how fragile your existence is.

It's terrifying. And still people do it, and give their lives for it, year after year. Aside from being trouser-shittingly-spine-chilling, mountain-climbing is an oddly seductive and spiritual pursuit. This film gets that message across quite well.

Not for acrophobics.

7/10

Edited by sirtacos at 04:33:16 08-10-2012
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 08:27:10
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Apocalypse Now Redux

First time watching the redux version. 3:16' is quite a running time... Not that I didn't enjoy it but - as was the case when I watched the original a great many years ago - I couldn't wait for the Willard vs Kurtz bit, only the extended/additional scenes made the whole thing drag a tad bit too long.
    I'd also like to add that I decided to watch the movie in preparation for Spec Ops: The Line which should arrive here some time this week.

8.5/10
    I find the redux version is far too much; meandering plot pieces that were better cut out of the original release.

Sure it's interesting to see what the total package was envisaged to be, but as a piece of cinema, the original cut version was far, far more enjoyable.

Thinking about it, I can think of a single scene in the directors cut version that warranted a place in the original release.
  • craigy Staff 8 Oct 2012 08:28:50 7,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eden Lake: 8/10

I can't figure out the politics of it, but it was pretty intense.
  • mikeck 8 Oct 2012 08:43:02 1,925 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @craigy Eden Lake is a very good film, but absolutely horrible.

As a viewer I felt violated by the end of it, and the whole thing was so unjust.

There are now pockets of people who I see and refer to as 'Eden Lakers'. Scum.
  • mikeck 8 Oct 2012 08:51:10 1,925 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Raid

Best action film I've seen in years.

Mrs CK and I sat and watched this yesterday afternoon (not really a Sunday afternoon film) and were thoroughly taken along for the (very brutal) ride. The fight choreography was amazing, and so visceral.

There were so many unbelievable moments (in the sense of 'woah, that was amazing', not the 'that was bollocks, wouldn't happen' way) and some of the moves were immense. The last 'fight' was very well put together, and that alone felt like a workout just watching it.

It's been a long-time since a Asian film really provided that much entertainment for me (I watched so many different Japanese and Korean films years ago that I've become a bit jaded). In fact the last Asian film that left a mark on me as much as this was A Bittersweet Life.

Truly sublime film.

10/10
  • kalel 8 Oct 2012 09:06:48 86,743 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Apocalypse Now Redux

8.5/10
    I find the redux version is far too much; meandering plot pieces that were better cut out of the original release.

Sure it's interesting to see what the total package was envisaged to be, but as a piece of cinema, the original cut version was far, far more enjoyable.

Thinking about it, I can think of a single scene in the directors cut version that warranted a place in the original release.
    The Redux has boobs.
  • Dougs 8 Oct 2012 09:12:27 67,015 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Ironlungs76 Agreed. The same could be said about most deleted scenes tbh.
  • neilka 8 Oct 2012 09:17:17 15,802 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enemy Mine (Blu-ray)

Enemy Mine.

Enemy Mine %
  • evild_edd 8 Oct 2012 09:17:35 3,045 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Princess Bride (again)

Mrs Evild and I discovered this late (in adult life), but that didn't stop us falling in love with the tongue-in-cheek brilliance of one of the most endearing films ever committed to film.

Magical/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 8 October 2012 09:23:48
    kalel wrote:

The Redux has boobs.
    I stand corrected :)
  • Blakester 8 Oct 2012 09:26:41 3,589 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Cabin in the Woods

I've waiting so long to see this, and made an enormous effort to avoid any spoilers. Really wish I hadn't bothered.

It's nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is, it isn't scary and it lets the audience into its secret way too early. The less said about the ridiculous end the better. One of the biggest disappointments of the year.

40%

Paranorman

At last, a modern film for young kids that isn't afraid to show them a little bit of the dark side of life (I'm not counting Coraline as I don't think that's a film suitable for little-uns). It's absolutely beautiful to look at, has a proper plot and zombies!!!
    A few great horror-related sight gags for the adults too.

85%

2 Days in New York

Julie Delpy and Chris Rock in a light and funny tale of a New York couple dealing with the visit of the girlfriend's french family. Feels a lot like Woody Allen, and while some of the jokes and set pieces are a little broad, it's very entertaining. Julie Delpy is adorable and Chris Rock reigns it in enough to pull of a decent performance.

75%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• GuiltySpark 8 Oct 2012 09:46:30 6,350 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What was wrong with Cabin's ending?

Get bent.

• mrpon 8 Oct 2012 09:49:25 28,683 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He didn't get it.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• sport 8 Oct 2012 09:56:25 12,659 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    He didn't get it.
    This. One of the most refreshing horror (meta-horror?!) films I've seen in recent memory. Might watch it again tonight actually.
  • Benno 8 Oct 2012 10:16:15 9,813 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i saw cabin last week for the first time, thought it was absolutely fantastic.

The Raid has arrived from Lovefilm, will give it a watch tonight, looking forward to it after mikes review
  • Gunzberg 8 Oct 2012 10:38:15 1,731 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Moonrise Kingdom 8/10

The pacing for the first half is perfect but gets muddled in the second half but I enjoyed the movie. Much, much more than the Darjeeling Limited and the Royal Tenenbaums.

Definitely worth a watch.

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Blakester 8 Oct 2012 10:43:59 3,589 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    He didn't get it.
    What's not to get?

You think I watched it like a standard horror and got a bit confused with the other stuff going on?

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• oceanmotion 8 Oct 2012 11:02:08 15,759 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cabin was silly and fun. Don't think it was trying to do anything more than be a little different and entertaining.

The advertising did it no favours, best thing ever! Horror to another level etc. Bollocks.

I enjoyed it more second time around.
  • craigy Staff 8 Oct 2012 11:03:58 7,566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't say Cabin is refreshing -- it uses a lot of the cliches that it purports to be tired of. It says that horror conventions are cliche and need to be thrown away and re-energised, but doesn't offer any form of reinvention itself, other than to add some sci-fi into the mix. If horror really needed reinventing, why didn't Goddard and Whedon reinvent it rather than make a polemic about how shit horror movies are?
  • Tonka 8 Oct 2012 11:05:30 20,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I absolutely loved the ending.

I was in full "Yeah they're taping it and doing some research or selling snuff films or something" mode from the trailer. Then it got real weird seing how the zombies were "real" zombies.

Military research then. But what the fuck with all the blood in some stone carvings?

And then it turned out to be a real bonafide horror film after all.

I found it to be a very refreshing take on a genre that has got stuck in a rut lately (the meta-horror genre that is)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• mrpon 8 Oct 2012 11:06:58 28,683 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Standard "jest" response Blakey, pay no heed. But since you asked, I'd say any fan of the genre would appreciate (nay love) the spin this movie takes. You're correct, it isn't scary and I don't think it's meant to be as the scares are orchestrated.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Tonka 8 Oct 2012 11:09:08 20,143 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @craigy I found it to be more of an homage than a pisstake.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 2743 First / Last