Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1969

• Page

of 2807 First / Last

• SilentTristero 1 Oct 2012 18:22:39 291 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Resident Evil: (Subtitle?)

Actually filmed in 3D, but they neglected to film any plot. Budget for leather coats and uniforms must have far exceeded that spent on writing.

Leon and Ada make appearances, although that's literally all they do; the hair and clothes were spot on but there's more back story to the dump I took this morning. Random elements from the games continue to be cherry picked and thrown in for no apparent reason.

It's a shame, because even with just a reasonably well written script and some basic structure, the ludicrous yet satisfying combat scenes and overblown exposition could probably work. I think the first film even managed this; there were clear goals and a sense of progression. This fifth film even rehashes that 'Escape from a facility' plot, but still fails to make any sense, juggling all sorts of loose plot threads and half-baked ideas that have plagued the films ever since.

Something/10
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Oct 2012 18:57:21 17,215 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ERG1008 wrote:
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Monsters (2010) - 9/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this - as Kermode says in his review, it's more of a character study; not a huge amount of monsters in it (but enough), and it's slow paced (but not in a boring way) yet I found it thoroughly engrossing and very enjoyable.

The writing is very good, as is the direction and the acting. The two lead characters are believable & likeable and the overall plot is mostly fairly unpredictable.
    ^This. Don't forget the brilliant score by Jon Hopkins as well.
    A lot of people I know were disappointed because it wasn't a big fuck off beastie film. It's basically a love story in unusual circumstances and I love it.
    I thought it was more of a road movie in a different context but yeah.

You are a factory of sadness.

• kalel 1 Oct 2012 18:58:37 88,511 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember liking Monsters, but I literally can't remember a single thing about it. Nothing.

That must say something.
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Oct 2012 19:02:52 17,215 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I can't really help you there without spoiling everything ;-) It does say that the film is somewhat forgettable, which is true, as I can't remember much past the odd scene here and there.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 1 October 2012 20:04:02
    Ivans xtc (2000) 9/10

This is the second time I have watched this and itís excellent. The first time I watched it, I found the camera work and picture quality off putting. As the film progresses, it becomes irrelevant. Ivan (Danny Huston) is what makes the film what it is. To be honest, during the first viewing, I wasnít getting it. On the second viewing it added up so much more.
  • SlackMaster 2 Oct 2012 07:46:11 3,134 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looper (2012) 7/10

I like time travel movies and it started very well, but slowed right down in the second half and took a direction that I wasn't really that interested in. The end althought I won't give away any details wasn't very satisfying either.

Edited by SlackMaster at 07:47:09 02-10-2012
  • Tonka 2 Oct 2012 08:02:37 20,879 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember thinking Monsters was a lost opportunity. Said a little about a lot but never got down and dirty. I also found the characters unlikeable and the romance unlikely.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• dominalien 2 Oct 2012 08:11:22 7,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SilentTristero wrote:
    Resident Evil: (Subtitle?)
    Leon and Ada make appearances, although that's literally all they do

Something/10
    I'm still not getting why Ada insists on wearing that cocktail dress. Was this ever explained, in a game, interview, or wherever?

Your score is spot-on.

PSN: DonOsito

• Blakester 2 Oct 2012 09:26:09 3,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cosmopolis

Two hours of utter bafflement, I guess this is one of Cronenberg's less accessible movies.

There's shagging, murder, crap haircuts and Paul Giamatti (pretty much in that order) and it was all too much for my fragile little mind.

??%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• nickthegun 2 Oct 2012 09:29:38 60,617 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was anyone shagging Paul Giammatti? Because I dont think my mind could cope with that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Blakester 2 Oct 2012 09:36:20 3,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Was anyone shagging Paul Giammatti? Because I dont think my mind could cope with that.
    That would actually have been less weird than some of the other shit that goes on.

• chopsen 2 Oct 2012 09:38:10 16,127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, I love a bit of Cronenberg, me. I'll keep my eye out for this.

(this thread is now my sole source of information for films to watch)
  • nickthegun 2 Oct 2012 09:50:48 60,617 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I had a bit of a Cronenberg marathon a few months ago and watched Shivers, Rabid, the brood and nightbreed (yeah, I know) a few months ago.

Shivers and Rabid still hold up really nicely but the brood comes off as faintly ridiculous. Its still a good horror, but its pretty laughable in places.

• Blakester 2 Oct 2012 09:57:14 3,637 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need to go back and watch a lot of his earlier stuff, although if it's all as challenging as Cosmopolis, maybe not.

I think A History of Violence is a modern-day classic though.

• chopsen 2 Oct 2012 09:58:20 16,127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really like Brood. It *is* a bit silly, the killer toddlers with no belly buttons is a bit daft, but the whole cult therapy side of thing I found really creepy.
  • chopsen 2 Oct 2012 10:01:44 16,127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    His earlier stuff isn't *that* weird, in that it has usually has quite a clear narrative you can follow. It's more disturbing imagery, and each film is usually set around a unique concept. He did lots of horror, and his films are very distinctly Cronenberg in style, but he was never formulaic.

History of Violence, which I agree is excellent, is not an indicator of what his early stuff is like.
  • nickthegun 2 Oct 2012 10:03:55 60,617 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its true. That side of it is really edgy. Like most of his films, it takes something kind of every day and puts a really dark spin on it, like shivers, which takes something really boring then turns it up to eleven.

• darkengy 2 Oct 2012 10:29:53 98 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Paprika
    9/10

It reminded me a lot of Inception

• mikeck 2 Oct 2012 11:01:55 1,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Chopsen People think his earlier stuff is weird because those films are always mentioned alongside the term body-horror.

It is a theme he works under for a lot of his early films. However, the second half of his career is a lot more varied.

Spider, A History of Violence and Eastern Promises are all fantastic films. Especially A History of Violence, and a nice departure from the source material (which is a lot darker).
  • chopsen 2 Oct 2012 11:22:46 16,127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think he's a man of three parts. His earlier mainly-horror period which is great, then a prolonged bit in the 90s (actually I think from the fly onwards) where I think most of the stuff he did was mostly awful, and then suddenly he turns it around and since the early 2000s been making some really top draw films, but completely different to his earlier stuff.

Somehow Spider past me by. I'll have to have a look at that too.
  • dr_swin 2 Oct 2012 11:29:54 4,903 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A Dangerous Method was a bit dull though. Didn't think much of Crash either.
  • Max_Powers 2 Oct 2012 12:05:32 1,100 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really liked Cosmopolis, although I had to watch it in 4 sessions . It is by turns fascinating and captivating as well as annoying (for lack of a better word). Also I found it one of the few films that really captures the first decade of this new milennium in tone and form. I guess :) (it's that sort of film)

Cronenberg is delivering some really good movies in this stage of his career. Both A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were really good.

Edited by Max_Powers at 12:06:46 02-10-2012
  • mikeck 2 Oct 2012 12:18:56 1,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fiennes is on fantastic form in Spider. It's fairly slow, but a film definitely worth watching.
  • Dante_Cubit 2 Oct 2012 12:22:28 1,928 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cronenberg is one of the most consistently brilliant directors in the business. Videodrome will always have a special place in my heart...
  • chopsen 2 Oct 2012 12:50:06 16,127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    A Dangerous Method was a bit dull though. Didn't think much of Crash either.
    Crash was from his 90s era of crap. Dangerous Method I've intentionally stayed clear of because I find the way Freud (and psychotherapy/analysis in general) gets dealt with in the arts and the media either irritates or bores me.

Edited by Chopsen at 12:50:28 02-10-2012

Edited by Chopsen at 12:50:42 02-10-2012
  • Blaketown 2 Oct 2012 13:06:10 4,807 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    Cronenberg is one of the most consistently brilliant directors in the business. Videodrome will always have a special place in my heart...
    You'll glad to know a remake is on the cards then.

:eek:

Brap, brap, old chap.

• dominalien 2 Oct 2012 16:08:17 7,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just came back from Dredd.

Pretty nice. The bad girl is great, Urban keeps to the single expression and I'm pretty surprised they went with never showing his face for the whole movie. The blonde girl is definitely the weakest of the bunch, although pretty enough, I guess. "I'm not wearing a helmet to not interfere with my psychic ability" my arse.

The slo-mo violence bits are perhaps unnecessary, but at least they hold up well plot-wise.

I liked it so much I'll be watching Stallone's Dredd tonight :-)

8/10

PSN: DonOsito

• BravoGolf Moderator 2 Oct 2012 16:14:34 12,748 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlos (imdb) - 100%

Watch the whole trilogy, not the massively spliced cinematic release. Amazing.
  • guts 2 Oct 2012 20:05:14 1,690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Let The Right One In - Copious amounts of points/10

One of the best things I've seen in ages. Recorded it a while ago when Film 4 were having a vampire season, but only just got round to watching it.

The two leads were superb, supporting cast was great, minimal special effects were subtle and effective, and special mention has to go to the composer who did a great job with the score.

I've no idea what the English language remake is like, and I probably won't bother finding out, as I have no problem with subtitles. I suspect after that, it's likely to be a disappointment.

If you haven't seen it (the Swedish original), I recommend it most highly.
    Ditto to all of that, and put some more on top too. Truly one of hte best films I have ever seen. I saw it several months ago,then felt compelled to buy it and have watched it twice more since. I think this is the only film that I might end up watching as many times as GoodFellas. Beautiful, heart warming and chilling (simultaneously) with such a wonderful story. Tempted to watch it again tonight now but I have already decided on 'The Green Mile'.(Condor Man hasn't turned up yet).

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Page

of 2807 First / Last