Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1968

• Page

of 2583 First / Last

• beastmaster 30 Sep 2012 20:20:46 10,168 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've reviewed Dredd 3D before. Loved it. 10/10. My film of the year so far. Probably. See Looper review :-)

Raiders on IMAX. It's Raiders of the Lost Ark dammit! 10/10 without question. Someone mentioned a "problem" with the focus on certain scenes. I found that too. I don't think it'll be a problem on the blu-ray release. It looked as though they'd IMAXED the original print without doing the restoration. These scenes were few and far between, brief and not really with getting upset about.

The Campaign - 8/10

Will Ferrell is back to his best in this very funny comedy about senate elections.

Ended watching this as a time waster before Looper and enjoyed it immensely. The trailer is very toned down (and edited) but it's very rude. It's a very different humour from Ted and I prefer this to be honest.

It's not Anchorman funny but it's a lot funnier than anything else he's done for quite a while. The other guy's good too. You can imagine politicians stooping to those levels.

The film is stolen by Dylan McDermott who plays a sleazy campaign manager/spin doctor. It's worth seeing just for him.

Well written, funny and Farrell (and the other guy) are on fine form. I didn't think I'd enjoy this nowhere near as much as I did.

Looper - 9.5/10

Depending on what you read it's a film that's as good as The Terminator, The Matrix or Blade Runner. Hmm...Not quite.

I've had a bit of time to ponder over this. It's a really superb film and easily one of the best of the year. One of the best sci-fi films in years too (apart from Dredd which is awesome! I'm really biased towards Dredd though).

The plot's all in the trailer. An assassin has to kill his future self but future-self gets away. That's all you need to know. The script is fantastic and although it's a very intricate plot, it's very easy to follow.

Performances are great with Gordon-Levitt nailing Bruce Willis's mannerisms. So even though they look nothing alike, it's still an excellent imitation. The special effects are superb but kept to a minimum to serve the plot.

Just go and see it. I doubt you'll regret it.

Resident Evil: Retribution (3D IMAX) - 7(ish)/10

About as good looking a video game cut-scene that you're ever going to get. Till the next film comes out.

Not seen any of the other 4(!)? Don't worry, it's all handily explained in the first 7 minutes or so. I'll do it in a lot less. T-virus + Alice = good. Everyone else = bad.

This film gets all the ol' gang together. Pretty much everyone who's been in any of the other films shows up in this. So what if they were eaten/cut up into chucks by laser beams etc. in the previous films? They've been cloned George Lucas style.

The plot? Get through level A and beat the boss. Then go to level B and beat the boss etc. Where A and B are computer simulations of cities around the world.

There's only one reason to watch these films. To watch the stunningly beautiful Mila kick zombie ass and look stunningly beautiful. She does this admirably. The director (and also her husband) tries to get her as naked as possible for a few scenes in the film. Splendid effort there chap!

These films have always been a guilty pleasure of mine and I've go them all on blu-ray. If you like these films how does it compare to the other 4(!)? It's not the worst and it's not the best. It's more moronic than any of the others (if that's possible) as characters show up and explain everything that has happened and what they have to do to get to the next level in great detail.

It has a few jumpy moments whereby my head nearly went through the ceiling. If you like the other films, you'll probably like this. If you don't, then don't bother.

I know they're shit but it's shit I like. There will be a sequel.

Edit: Just something else worth mentioning. I saw The Campaign on a 4K screen. Looked fucking amazing. If Sony's new console supports this, then wow!

Edited by beastmaster at 20:43:36 30-09-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• PhoenixFlames 30 Sep 2012 20:41:52 8,781 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Dictator - 6.5/10

That doesn't mean it isn't worth watching. There were quite a few laugh out loud bits.

I drive an automatic 'cause I'm too cool to change gears.

PSN - phoenix1flames

• RobAnybody 30 Sep 2012 20:54:54 824 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Monsters (2010) - 9/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this - as Kermode says in his review, it's more of a character study; not a huge amount of monsters in it (but enough), and it's slow paced (but not in a boring way) yet I found it thoroughly engrossing and very enjoyable.

The writing is very good, as is the direction and the acting. The two lead characters are believable & likeable and the overall plot is mostly fairly unpredictable.

Give it a go if you haven't seen it already.

Oh, and here is Kermode's review:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00cjkfr#supporting-content

Edited by RobAnybody at 20:55:17 30-09-2012
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 21:36:04
    Rampart- 4/10

Shit

21 Jump Street- 8/10

Pleasantly surprised, very funny.
  • faux_carnation 30 Sep 2012 21:44:34 8,463 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iHAZaCHEEZ3burger wrote:
    Rampart- 4/10

Shit

21 Jump Street- 8/10

Pleasantly surprised, very funny.
    I watched Rampart last week, I really liked it. Incredibly atmospheric, Woody Harrelson is fantastic and as the plot lurches from disaster to disaster you can really feel the guy's life falling apart as the web of lies and violence catches up with him.
  • Tomo 30 Sep 2012 21:58:31 13,833 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In Bruges - 9/10

Shock horror, a good Colin Farrell film. I expected Lock, Stock in Belgium tbh, but it was much cleverer than that. Very funny and surprisingly poignant.
  • Load_2.0 30 Sep 2012 21:59:11 18,141 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem I had with rampart is how it ended, I understand there was never going to a happy conclusion but I just needed a bit more.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2012 22:11:09
    Yeah, the ending was terrible. I just couldn't get into the film at all, I just found the whole thing pointless.

Edited by iHAZaCHEEZ3burger at 22:11:56 30-09-2012
  • repairmanjack 30 Sep 2012 22:37:50 5,954 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Albert Nobbs. 4/10

Pedestrian and filled with annoying (and apparently half-blind) characters. Haven't been so bored by a film in years.

How I Spent My Summer Vacation. 6.5/10

Not bad, and I quite enjoyed seeing Gibson on screen. It's not a patch on Payback for want of a better frame of reference.
  • gamer246 30 Sep 2012 23:37:06 4 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I watched the film The Rundown tonight.Pluses: good visuals,funny action scenes, and it is generally a pretty good movie.The dvd was gathering dust for a few years, but it is worth a go if your considering watching it.7/10.

Edited by gamer246 at 23:37:36 30-09-2012

Edited by gamer246 at 23:38:16 30-09-2012
  • craigy Senior UI Designer, Gamer Network 1 Oct 2012 09:00:50 7,385 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looper: 8/10

It's really inventive, and about as grounded a sci-fi movie as I've seen (apart from Never Let Me Go). It has some odd stop/start pacing though.
  • Tonka 1 Oct 2012 09:02:43 19,839 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sting
    I love the classy feel of the 70's classics. Everything's so refined.

Good story that holds up well to todays standards. Some weirdness going on that would get reported as a continuity error by the modern audience.

A must see

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Chopsen 1 Oct 2012 09:06:31 15,106 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I love the classy feel of the 70's classics. Everything's so refined.
    Everything went to shit when they started having computers on desks in films.
  • glaeken 1 Oct 2012 09:42:42 10,972 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Raid - 7/10 - Pretty good. I like the way they shot the fight scenes in particular. It's sort of hyper speeded up with lots of impact but all very clear to see. Far better than shaky cam fight scenes. It might possibly be the first Indonesian film I have ever seen

Edited by glaeken at 11:58:18 01-10-2012
  • kalel 1 Oct 2012 09:47:59 83,790 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've always thought The Sting looked more like a 60s film personally. It's all very clearly shot on sets and you can see the painted backgrounds on some of the shots (probably intentionally). It's all very clean and refined as you say.

For me 70s films are more gritty and grainy, and more real.
  • Tonka 1 Oct 2012 10:05:14 19,839 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good point about the sets. It's more the general feel of the films of the 70 (and 60's) that I like. Like the Godfather or the original Thomas Crown affair.

I think the obviously soundstaged sounds add to this. The clomping of feet, the clanking of phones, the typewriter chatter. I also love how everyone wears hats. In The Sting it's made even more brilliant by how FBI wear straw hats.

Modern films sometimes overwhelm me visually. The "fucking the frame" mentality becomes overbearing. The J.J. lensflares and ILM sound effects too.

I guess this is one of the reasons I really liked drive It had a more sombre feeling throughout.

• kalel 1 Oct 2012 10:10:56 83,790 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You don't have to persuade me. 60s and 70s were absolutely the best era of cinema imo.

Fucking love Robert Shaw in this. Such a shame he died so young, he was an incredible talent. Hard to believe Lonnegan and Quint in Jaws are the same actor. Very good writer as well.
  • Gunzberg 1 Oct 2012 10:52:10 916 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Magic Mike

Man, this was dullsville

5/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Tonka 1 Oct 2012 11:39:39 19,839 posts
    Seen 48 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hard to believe Lonnegan and Quint in Jaws are the same actor. Very good writer as well.
    Admittedly it's a long time since I saw jaws but I completely missed that. The poker game on the train (in The Sting) is pure brilliance.

Made me want to see more of Paul Newman. I think "Cool hand Luke" is up for a rewatch.

• kalel 1 Oct 2012 12:02:21 83,790 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Butch and Sundance is sort of the partner film to The Sting really. Newman and Redford plus the same director as The Sting.

Geoarge Roy Hill put one or the other in most of his films up to a point. Slap Shot is a very underrated Newman classic by him imo.
  • Toonster 1 Oct 2012 12:06:50 6,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've had time to think about Looper and I think I'd give it a 5/10. Excellent first half completely marred by a dull and clunky second half. Character development felt forced, and I could not care about Emily Blunt and her child at all.

I'm disappointed and really wanted to like it, but the more I think about it, the more annoyed I became... and now I'm pissed that all my friends can't stop raving about it and calling it the best movie they've ever seen >:(

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• nickthegun 1 Oct 2012 12:09:36 55,848 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I get really annoyed when people enjoy things I dont like too.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Toonster 1 Oct 2012 12:12:28 6,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know, right?

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• kalel 1 Oct 2012 12:13:16 83,790 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I get annoyed when people enjoy things I like as well. And when they don't enjoy things I like.
  • evild_edd 1 Oct 2012 14:26:03 2,921 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having returned from Marrakeck with food poisoning (and trying desperately to forget the Imodium-laced flight home), I spent the weekend rewatching the LotR trilogy extended cuts.

I love these films. They're soothing films at the best of times, let alone when you're in need something cozy and familiar (intersperced with trips to the loo).

11/10 for the trilogy.

6/10 for how I'm currently feeling

9/10 for enjoyment of Marrakech

-billion/10 for the goats cheese that left me and Mrs Evild in such an abhorrent state

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• ERG1008 1 Oct 2012 15:17:01 655 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Monsters (2010) - 9/10

I thoroughly enjoyed this - as Kermode says in his review, it's more of a character study; not a huge amount of monsters in it (but enough), and it's slow paced (but not in a boring way) yet I found it thoroughly engrossing and very enjoyable.

The writing is very good, as is the direction and the acting. The two lead characters are believable & likeable and the overall plot is mostly fairly unpredictable.
    ^This. Don't forget the brilliant score by Jon Hopkins as well.
    A lot of people I know were disappointed because it wasn't a big fuck off beastie film. It's basically a love story in unusual circumstances and I love it.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 15:30:25
    John Goodman is good as the large blue monster but Billy Crystal is the real star.
  • guts 1 Oct 2012 15:46:06 1,690 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not watched it since I was a kid, but I am hoping to get home and find Condor Man on the mat waiting for me. The dvd, not actual Condor Man himself. I will report back once I've watched it. I remember it being great.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Wacko_AK 1 Oct 2012 16:05:31 176 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loopers - 5/10

Really disappointed with this, the plot was like an extended version of a Twilight Zone episode. Not sure where all the great reviews are coming from, maybe because we've not had a decent Sci-Fi flick for a while?

Lolage at the adverts claiming "this decades Matrix" - Matrix Revolutions springs to mind...
  • boo 1 Oct 2012 16:53:44 11,602 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let The Right One In - Copious amounts of points/10

One of the best things I've seen in ages. Recorded it a while ago when Film 4 were having a vampire season, but only just got round to watching it.

The two leads were superb, supporting cast was great, minimal special effects were subtle and effective, and special mention has to go to the composer who did a great job with the score.

I've no idea what the English language remake is like, and I probably won't bother finding out, as I have no problem with subtitles. I suspect after that, it's likely to be a disappointment.

If you haven't seen it (the Swedish original), I recommend it most highly.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Page

of 2583 First / Last