• Charroux 20 Oct 2007 17:24:59 792 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apocalypto

Graphics: a gore-iffic 87%
    Sound: a jungle-tastic 91%
    Playability: eh? 67%
    Lastability: 81%
    Not being anything like as crap as the other gibson-directed shite-fest -ability: 100%

Overall: 78%
  • silentbob 20 Oct 2007 17:30:53 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I don't trust Razz no more.
    Either he was munted or someone's hijacked his account.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• CitizenGeek 20 Oct 2007 18:17:10 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tekkonkinkreet: 95/100
  • Deleted user 20 October 2007 18:18:55
    Awww, percentages are boring. Anally retentive nit-picking, here we come...

Bring back the "out of ten" thread. Films aren't worth dissecting by percentiles...
  • WrongShui 20 Oct 2007 19:36:19 6,613 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grosse Pointe Blank

96% or 10/10.

Awesome in everyway and how I like to remember Dan Akroyd.

I miss him.
  • Trowel 20 Oct 2007 19:48:06 17,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This sucks ass, as they say on the internet. Copy and paste of my review late last night, together with a few others from yesterday which will otherwise never show up in the EG search... (joke):

Trowel's Hitchcock season continued this evening with:

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 remake of Hitchcock's 1934 original)

A thin plot about a couple who's son is kidknapped after the father (Jimmy Stewart) is warned of an assasination attempt, but transformed into a flowing film by terrific and often brave direction throughout; the main assasination scene runs for 10+ mins without any dialogue.

The music really drives the movie on in places, as so often with Hitchcock, reaching a climax in the scene mentioned above and playing a pivotal role in the compelling conclusion. 8/10

---------

nickthegun - Spider-Man 3:

Emo-Man, Emo-Man, Does whatever an Emo can.

Along with too many characters, the films main message of pride coming before a fall is hammered home with such ferocity, you can practically write the script yourself. Oh, and the sandmans motivation couldnt have been more cliched if it tried.

Its just so pedestrian. It was predictable, the action isnt particularly spectacular anymore and the romance between MJ and Peter really shouldnt have been stretched across three movies.

6/10 - Mainly for Bruce Campbell and the Emo-man dance montage.

---------

Freek Mr Brooks.

9/10

Great movie. An interesting mix of drama and thriller. Verry well paced, clever and an excelent performance by Kevin Costner, something I diden't expect.
    The only small negative point is the side plot featuring Demi Moore, where the movie suddenly turns into Die Hard 5. Feels completly out of touch with the rest of the film but it's only a couple scenes.
    Go see it.

---------

kentmonkey - Spider Man 3 5/10

(contains minor spoilers)

If this had been the first film in the trilogy it probably wouldn't have been so disappointing. Sure the horribly cliched love story between Peter Parker and MJ would have still grated (boy's power and influence goes to his head, girlfriend feels left out, boy realises what he's done, girl forgives him, boy stops proposing at the last minute as he's not sure he's ready for the emotional commitment), but the fight scenes would have been more enjoyable and you wouldn't have expected more from it.

Following on from what was an excellent first movie and a decent if slightly uninspiring second movie, Spider Man 3 just disappoints on almost every level.

The CGI is shockingly bad in places and wouldn't look out of place in an episode of Doctor Who (one moment that particularly comes to mind is the fight between Spider Man and the Goblin in an alleyway early on in the film ). Even more disappointing is the short appearance of Venom (in his true form anyway) and the awful interpretation of Sandman. His motive aside, the actor (name escapes me) plays the role very badly and the character soon becomes a 'Stay Puft' gimmick as the film approaches the latter stages.

On top of this at the end of the film, Spider Man falls down to the floor with literally hundreds of people around him. The camera doesn't show anybody but he's fallen on top of 'The Sandman' and a later camera angle shows people all around him as he forms. The problem is that Spider Man doesn't have a mask on as it's been ripped from his face, but apparently nobody sees this or his hidden identity. It was one of many occasions through the film where it showed that they hadn't paid enough attention.

Still it's not a terrible movie, and younger family members will probably still love it. But compared to the previous two films and taking into consideration the heights it could have reached, it certainly won't leave your senses tingling.

---------

grayson

been watching a lot of shitty bubblegum films lately

no vacancy: 1/10 (1 point is for Kate Beckinsale)

spiderman 3: 2/10 (extra points if you're 12 years old)

descent: 6/10 (fairly good jump-em-up spoilt by a 'ah ha, take this hollywood!' ending)

---------

Lukus - Withnail & I

Well, I took your advice and watched it last night.

I enjoyed it. Kind of like a British Fear and Loathing with the unhinged pairings, but the binge being sheer recklessness and desperate abandon rather than any kind of journalistic experimentation.

A good few laugh out loud moments and entertaining performances.

8/10.
  • drumbaby 20 Oct 2007 19:52:17 2,688 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Platoon

90%
  • caligari 20 Oct 2007 20:06:52 17,024 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A mod can change the thread title to 'out of 10' if it makes people feel a little more 'secure'. ;)
  • Deleted user 20 October 2007 22:12:12
    Ratatouille - 5 out of 10. Maybe - maybe - a 6. But mostly 5. Computer wizardry aside, it's just a distinctly average story. Not bad. Just... meh.

And as for 'Disney's funniest film ever' or whatever they're saying, I have to say I've rarely laughed so little for something allegedly so pant-wettingly hilarious. It isn't. It just isn't. The occasional slapstick pratfall does not equate to humour, not compared to the quality of what's gone before at Pixar. Plus, what were they thinking making one of the major characters, who we spend most of the film with alongside the rat, a totally bland dweeb?

Gone are the days of the quality of Monsters Inc. and Toy Story, it seems. :(
  • HarryB 20 Oct 2007 23:26:38 6,175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Kingdom
    7/10

pretty good, not very deep but keeps going at a decent pace and pretty funny sometimes, too.
  • otto Moderator 20 Oct 2007 23:29:47 49,314 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    grayson wrote:
    Trowel>Night_Inspired
    Fixed.

I'm pretty fucking fed up with you losers blaming me instead of the person responsible.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• ghearoid 20 Oct 2007 23:30:24 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    um, that 'transformers' film. it was shite, but good shite so i give it 78%

;op
  • silentbob 20 Oct 2007 23:34:49 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sky Blue: 2142 AD

Visually astounding (if at times inconsistently so) Japanese animation. I watche dteh dub, which was competent but suffered (as so many do) from some soulless peformances. Luckily the second half of the movie was strong enough to pull it through with some astoundingly realised set pieces and a satisfying, if somewhat incongruous conclusion.

82%

• Trowel 20 Oct 2007 23:35:31 17,636 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto>Halo
  • Furbs 20 Oct 2007 23:36:18 45,699 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Uh oh, ottos in a strop again tonight. Who will be next for the GI?
  • Lukus 20 Oct 2007 23:43:34 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Uh oh, ottos in a strop again tonight. Who will be next for the GI?
    I'm a little surprised I wasn't.

Paintings & Photographs

• silentbob 20 Oct 2007 23:44:27 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A Common Thread

Slightly ponderous French movie about a wanabee Embroiderer who falls pregnant. I say ponderous, which is true, very little happens in the movie but central performances are charming and the film has some moving scenes. It does suffer from being overtly French, in it's abundance of almost self consciously self conscious scenes with long pauses and soulfull stares out of windows etc.

Despite this I quite enjoyed it, but for some reason I'm drawn to ponderous movies. :)

78%

• silentbob 20 Oct 2007 23:47:17 28,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Gone are the days of the quality of Monsters Inc. and Toy Story, it seems. :(
    Indeed. It is a bit sad to watch. I think my enjoyment of the movie was almost entirely due to watching it with two women and their infectious pleasure in the thing. The charm is still there, but the comedy is seeping away with every successive movie it seems.

• mrharvest 21 Oct 2007 00:18:48 5,194 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Desert Dream
    There's not many Mongolian films out each year. I watch what I can get my hands on each time with equal curiosity. The nomadic way of life is dying out as the desert spreads to the steppes and families move with their children to the cities. This sense of fading away is present in the films, and Desert Dream is no exception. A slow, quiet narrative that is occasionally interrupted by the modern world; Hungay sitting on his horse and watching three tanks roll in the horizon.
    78.3% / 99.9%

Let's Finish
    Three South Koreans go on a suicide pact road-trip. Two of them survive.
    62.1% / 99.9%
  • kdsh7 21 Oct 2007 01:40:50 1,167 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ratatouille is a movie - not a sketch show - a movie. Loved it to bits. 98%!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2007 10:06:40
    kdsh7 wrote:
    Ratatouille is a movie - not a sketch show - a movie. Loved it to bits. 98%!
    Yes, and not a very funny one, nor particularly engaging story-wise, either.

50%.

If a film is marketed as one of the funniest ever produced by the studio responsible, then to criticise me for expecting it to, you know, MAKE ME LAUGH, is pretty moronic, no?
  • espy 21 Oct 2007 10:36:33 840 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Black Sheep 6/10

Nice scenery, 2 or 3 rather funny lines, but nothing to write home about. Sadly. Was expecting something more substantial, seemed rather thin on everything.
  • Cloudane 21 Oct 2007 12:38:51 1,974 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't really know what Owen or silentbob are smoking these days.

Ratatouille - 9/10

Yes, it isn't hilarious nor provides a handful of laughs throughout the film but what it does so well is delivering buckets and buckets of charm and joy that puts a smile to your face from start to the heart warming conclusion.

I can't really speak of the part where the film suddenly radiates such energy from within otherwise it would spoil the moment but when that moment arrives, it is such a pleasure to be part of.

It is nice to see it being a ‘villain-less’ film that didn't rely on needing one; the story tend to focus on the rookie chef and the rat, which made a change from the norm and works ever so well.
  • Kostabi 21 Oct 2007 12:41:43 4,910 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Planet Terror. 8/10

Fun movie. Cussed something chronic at the 'missing reel' then laughed heartedly.
  • repairmanjack 21 Oct 2007 12:43:01 6,014 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    espy wrote:
    Black Sheep 6/10

Nice scenery, 2 or 3 rather funny lines, but nothing to write home about. Sadly. Was expecting something more substantial, seemed rather thin on everything.

Not the new Dog Soldiers then?
  • espy 21 Oct 2007 13:26:35 840 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wouldn't know, I've never seen that. I infer that it's good?
  • L0cky 21 Oct 2007 22:41:33 1,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Along the Ridge

9/10
  • ProfessorLesser 21 Oct 2007 22:44:29 19,356 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spirited Away - 10/10. Perfect music, characters, plot, animation, everything, one of the best films ever, even after watching it around 10 times.
  • saysomething 21 Oct 2007 22:57:16 1,245 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The invisible

7/10

Really enjoyable. I especially liked how they did the "can't touch anything because I'm a ghost" thing.
  • weeno 21 Oct 2007 23:10:38 721 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sunshine

7/10

Wasn't too bad, an extra point for being science fiction
    (too few good sci-fi films these days)
  • Page

of 2751 First / Last