Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3622

• Page

of 3629 First / Last

• thelzdking 8 Feb 2018 11:08:22 6,865 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Life is derivative tosh, so Cloverfield is likely awful, which may mean it is 'better'.
  • bad09 8 Feb 2018 12:14:15 8,159 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Is the new cloverfield anything like Life? I nearly watched it last night but the trailer made it look like that piece of shit, soon didn't bother.
    Life is a lot better than the "Cloverfield" disaster, even if you like Cloverfield and 10CL just don't bother with it. Utter drivel....which Netflix apparently wasted $50m on to screen. The suckers.

Life seems to get a lot of stick (and to be fair it doesn't do anything new for the genre) but it's good watch I found. Probably a better Alien movie than Covenant :)

Edited by bad09 at 12:21:04 08-02-2018
  • GarlVinland 8 Feb 2018 12:47:32 2,666 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Is the new cloverfield anything like Life? I nearly watched it last night but the trailer made it look like that piece of shit, soon didn't bother.
    Life is a lot better than the "Cloverfield" disaster, even if you like Cloverfield and 10CL just don't bother with it. Utter drivel....which Netflix apparently wasted $50m on to screen. The suckers.

Life seems to get a lot of stick (and to be fair it doesn't do anything new for the genre) but it's good watch I found. Probably a better Alien movie than Covenant :)
    To be fair, if Netflix only cares about viewing figures, and people will watch any old crap if they don't have to go out and pay to see it, I think it might even be seen as a success for them. Bright was shit too and it got a sequel.
  • Stranded87 8 Feb 2018 12:49:04 1,735 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Cloverfield Paradox is a 3/10
    Life is a 4/10
    Best off avoiding both.
  • mrpon 8 Feb 2018 20:28:03 34,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got some entertainment from Life, in a Gravity meets Alien kinda way. Also the fact my viewing partner was screaming like a little girl had me pissing myself.

ymmv
  • nickthegun 8 Feb 2018 20:33:01 72,749 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The only good thing about it is that the creature has the same name as a good mate of mine, which makes most of the dialogue pretty funny.
  • JoelStinty 8 Feb 2018 21:34:00 6,085 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lego Batman.

I’d been starting to feel batman was becoming a bit of a person flogging a dead horse, comics and films, whilst technically great and trying to push boundaries were and have been running out space to move in( and whilst the film uses similar themes used in, particularly recent batman comics it delivers them in a way that is vibrant fun and more importantly fresh. Very much gives batman a new leash of life. Can get a bit hyper active at times - it is a kids film after all, but it’s often witty smart and fun.

4/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 21:37:04 08-02-2018
  • Daeltaja 9 Feb 2018 08:43:24 1,613 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going against the grain obviously, but I loved Life (my misses included). Going in with low expectations probably helped.

Edited by Daeltaja at 08:43:47 09-02-2018
  • nickthegun 9 Feb 2018 08:56:54 72,749 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's biggest problem is that it's completely derivative and you would be better off watching literally any of the films it rips off.
  • Dougs 9 Feb 2018 09:10:28 84,548 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's all true. It was OK, definitely watchable but as safe as houses, which meant it was a bit dull.
  • mrpon 9 Feb 2018 09:27:29 34,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought Ryan was going to be animatronically controlled by Calvin :)
  • Bambot 9 Feb 2018 10:24:21 992 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I thought Life was great, personally. Totally derivative, but really quite threatening. One of the best schlocky scifi horrors in ages. Way better than either of the recent Alien movies.
  • ModoX 9 Feb 2018 12:29:59 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Captain Fantastic - 7/10

Viggo Mortenson and his wife raise their kids in the woods to be a mixture of Bear Grylls and Rainman, mostly through various styles of child abuse. When the mother dies the wider family quite understandably thinks this crazy guy shouldn't look after kids.

I did get relatively on board by the end as you see that it is a family with a lot of love in it, and they play up the ways in which these kids are much smarter than 'normal' ones etc. But it really seemed like the film thinks the father character is far more sympathetic than I found him. I got on board with the kids and what they needed, but I never stopped thinking he probably just had serious mental health issues and shouldn't have been in charge of children at all.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Feb 2018 12:44:57 17,181 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm glad it's not just me that thought Viggo was being really irresponsible in Captain Fantastic. I put that viewpoint to my housemates who watched it with me, and it did not go down well at all. :(
  • ModoX 9 Feb 2018 12:50:41 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It eases off a little as you go through, but the first twenty minutes makes him look like a complete nutso cult leader, it was difficult to recover me after that point. And his kids literally cannot function in society, as they repeatedly demonstrate. My wife has no great love for society-at-large though, so she didn't fully agree with me. Reckoned I was too harsh.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Feb 2018 12:57:12 17,181 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dunno, I think the movie was firmly stacking the deck in his favour, up until the final third or so.

Sure, live how you like. Society sucks, I get it! I probably wouldn't mind being a hermit! But by spreading it to your kids and cutting them off from society, you are hugely limiting their choices later in life.
  • The_Goon 9 Feb 2018 13:01:27 734 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Big Sick - 73/100

On Prime right now. I quite enjoyed it actually. Not a typical comedy but definitely has some laugh out loud moments. Being of Asian descent I was able to identify closely with the wider themes of the movie but they are broad enough to apply to everyone I'd say. And having watched the movie, I'd say Ray Romano isn't all that bad of an actor actually. Not seen him in anything else other than Everybody Loves Raymond but he had a decent enough turn in this. Worth a watch in any case for me.
  • ModoX 9 Feb 2018 13:01:28 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I think the movie is almost entirely on his side, but as a viewer I was definitely not in sync with it!

On another note - Frank Langella with a crossbow is extremely intimidating :D
  • Bionic_Pixel 9 Feb 2018 13:17:07 137 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    300: Rise of an Empire 3/10

CGI overloaded fantasy with Greek warriors. I guess the actors spent most of their time performing in front of a green screen. The sword action, blood let reminded me of The Walking Dead. I’m assuming Artemisia’s tits were real. Most of the time it felt like watching a video game, death meaning little.

I've not seen the other film 300, directed by Zack Snyder, although 300: Rise of an Empire does have that high contrast look that Sucker Punch had. Sucker Punch is the better film.
  • GarlVinland 9 Feb 2018 13:20:05 2,666 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    I've not seen the other film 300, directed by Zack Snyder, although 300: Rise of an Empire does have that high contrast look that Sucker Punch had. Sucker Punch is the better film.
    I'm actually curious to see it now off the back of this bold statement.
  • Addy_B 9 Feb 2018 13:36:39 2,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Victor Crowley (Hatchet 4)
    Another surprise entry to the slasher series. This is actually the best one after the original. Bad acting and OTT deaths. It's just a switch off and have fun kind of deal.

8/10
  • Tonka 9 Feb 2018 13:39:59 27,215 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't think the film took sides at all. Well, it starts off by showing how wonderfully brilliant his children are but it quickly changes tack and show how fucked up they are as well. It was rather good at not writing anything on my nose but rather presenting a smörgĺsbord of pros and cons.

Only bit I think was a bit much was the declaration of independence battle. Felt silly. Also the eldest going off to Africa all of a sudden at the end. It felt rushed.
  • ModoX 9 Feb 2018 15:55:57 3,089 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah that bit with the bill of rights was annoying, he was so bloody smug.

I'd second The Big Sick, really good film.
  • evild_edd 9 Feb 2018 22:41:15 3,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking bastards. All of you, that is, who have mentioned A Monster Calls.

'How bad can it be?', I thought...

My wife was bubbling from about half way through. I held it together till the last 15 minutes or so.

It's excellent, and the kid's performance was superb, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as such.
  • retro74 9 Feb 2018 22:47:07 2,253 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @evild_edd I'm never going to watch that. My brother told me never to watch it and the comments on this thread have only confirmed it

😥😥😥
  • Porko_Rossi 9 Feb 2018 22:53:42 68 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Cloverfield Paradox - 1/10
    Unwatchable, reconfirmed.
  • evild_edd 10 Feb 2018 08:01:25 3,887 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @retro74

I don't think I'd have found it as hard before I had kids (mine are 4 & 2), but it's a particularly brutal watch if If you've little ones.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 08:19:32 12,515 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Life is derivative tosh
    U ok hun?
  • retro74 10 Feb 2018 08:38:22 2,253 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @evild_edd yeah he's got three little uns so that's probably why he found it a tough watch too
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2018 08:41:46 72,749 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    I'm actually curious to see it now off the back of this bold statement.
    He's not wrong. 300 2 is absolute bullshit

"But what about Eva Greens tits?"

Even they can't save it
  • Page

of 3629 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.