Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3607

• Page

of 3611 First / Last

• DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Jan 2018 12:53:08 31,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I think I worked it out re: Homecoming. Not enough swinging around skyscrapers.
    I didn't even realise I missed this until I watched The Amazing Spider-man 2 over Christmas. I didn't really enjoy that film as much as Homecoming, but as soon as I saw a proper city traversal scene I realised I really missed it.
  • JamesUK 9 Jan 2018 00:16:30 653 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The big criticism I have of the majority of the Marvel films is that they have shit villains. Homecoming was good and think part of that was because Michael Keaton does a decent job.

Fast and the Furious 8 - I liked 5,6 & 7 but 8 is a film of two halves. The half without Vin is quite fun and entertaining but the half with Vin takes itself too seriously and is kind of dull. It has some good moments, The Rock and Statham are great, but it feels like two different films edited together.
    63/100

Edge of Seventeen [Amazon Prime] - A film about a Juno-esque high school girl's teen angst. There's a really nice dynamic between the lead character and her teacher (played by Woody Harrelson, who is excellent). The last third maybe gets a bit too angsty but overall I really enjoyed it.
    76/100

Shot Caller - I love prison movies. There's a bit of American History X, A Prophet about this one. Really strong performance from Game of Thrones' Jaime Lannister. I'd advise to avoid the trailer (I went in to it blind and watched the trailer afterward). A significant amount of the film is told in flash back and I liked the way in which it revealed layers as the film progressed, the trailer shows some of these scenes and the I didn't think its tone was representative of the film overall.
    81/100
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jan 2018 01:36:45 16,880 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JamesUK wrote:
    Fast and the Furious 8 - I liked 5,6 & 7 but 8 is a film of two halves. The half without Vin is quite fun and entertaining but the half with Vin takes itself too seriously and is kind of dull. It has some good moments, The Rock and Statham are great, but it feels like two different films edited together.
    63/100
    That's because (according to rumours) it was two films edited together. Or rather, re-edited so that Vin and The Rock shared fewer scenes together. (apparently they don't like each other very much)
  • GarlVinland 9 Jan 2018 10:08:26 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Greatest Showman - 5/10

Another modern musical with utterly beige songs. I don't know if it's damning or not that probably the most consistently brilliant guys writing musicals these days are the South Park guys.

The story is also completely frictionless, Hugh Jackman goes from having nothing to a wild success, then he encounters a slight dip where he mopes around his huge mansion, he's a success again, and then he has an argument with his wife like they're fighting over who should do the dishes. It would have been immeasurably better to have some bigger peaks and troughs.
  • JoelStinty 9 Jan 2018 10:12:05 6,020 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Logan - 8/10. Loved the dark, brutality of it and it was consistent in showing Logan as emotionally stunted. Better than I expected tbh.
    I hope the success of logan gives studios the confidence to try out more character pieces like Logan. Most people know who all the big comic book characters and what their main personality traits are , it be cool to see more films that play around with that. Just seems we are continually telling origin stories. Their are plenty of comic books to draw upon too. BvsS tried it a little bit with Dark Knight esq batman, but it be cool if studios had the balls to do it.
  • Blakester 9 Jan 2018 10:33:15 4,289 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Logan is an interesting one.

I absolutely loved it when I saw it last year, however:

1. I saw it on a flight so was a completely captive audience and had a heightened emotional state.

2. I'm a dad of two, and my eldest looks a little like Laura so the ending was a real gut-punch.

I re-watched it at the weekend with my wife and she declared it "a load of old shit". In her mind, the other Wolverine films are terrible (she's right) and there hasn't been a decent X-Men film since 2003 (also correct), so she has little to no connection to the character. None of it had any emotional impact so she found it a real chore to get through.

On a second viewing, I don't think it stacks up quite so well. The decision to cast Hugh as the main villain lacks imagination and there are some very odd casting decisions (Steve Merchant and Richard E. Grant mainly). Initially the violence and swearing is shocking, but by the end it felt a little too gratuitous.

I think it's clearly the best Wolverine film, but that's not a high bar.

Solid 6/10
  • thelzdking 9 Jan 2018 14:06:48 6,621 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Wolverine as the villain was silly.
  • RichDC 9 Jan 2018 14:11:53 7,616 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite liked that it essentially ended up being his own rage and anger that kills him.
  • IronGiant 9 Jan 2018 16:27:01 5,639 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Performances were good but i think it's praised mainly because the previous movies were so bad.. the baddies in this one were rubbish and they overdid the gore/violence.
  • Stranded87 9 Jan 2018 16:37:22 1,706 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Logan is one of the best superhero movies, but that too is a low bar. It's prob a 7.5/10.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Jan 2018 16:40:16 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I sometimes feel like everyone in the world except me has been hypnotised into thinking that Stephen Merchant isn't shit.
  • smoothpete 9 Jan 2018 16:58:44 34,389 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He was great in Portal 2
  • Khanivor 10 Jan 2018 07:53:09 43,495 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Darkest Hour 9/10

Bloody marvelous.
  • mrpon 10 Jan 2018 09:18:58 33,921 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He was in Table 19, which I torturedly made myself watch for a laugh. He just plays the lanky bug eyed goofball in all the things I've seen him in.
  • GarlVinland 10 Jan 2018 09:28:40 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brazil - 10/10

First time watching it since I started working. My word, the grinding monotony and bureaucracy struck a nerve. It's also remarkable how prophetic the film has proven to be. It's brilliant, it's grotesque, everyone taking part, even De Niro, is on board with the loony tone. I can't really find fault with it. Perfect ending too.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2018 09:54:00
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

6/10
  • brokenkey 10 Jan 2018 11:38:59 9,203 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Three Billboards outside... a solid 8/10. Peters out just towards the end and then ends strangely, but overall a very enjoyable watch.
  • Blurp 10 Jan 2018 12:01:27 1,175 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I sometimes feel like everyone in the world except me has been hypnotised into thinking that Stephen Merchant isn't shit.
    I like Merchant. He was funny as hell in the special Crystal Maze episode.
  • GarlVinland 10 Jan 2018 12:04:26 2,425 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Three Billboards outside... a solid 8/10. Peters out just towards the end and then ends strangely, but overall a very enjoyable watch.
    I'm interested in seeing this but the trailer was offputting. Martin McDonagh likes his swears and it was funny in In Bruges, but every other word? Seemed a bit forced to me.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2018 12:04:26 11,914 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Everyone likes him. I just don't get it. Maybe I was abused by an 8 foot goggle eyed freak when I was a boy and Ive just blanked it from memory.
  • Derblington 10 Jan 2018 12:08:00 30,185 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like him as Wheatly and he didn't particularly bother me in Logan - he was supposed to be whiny and useless and he played whiny and useless.
    I'm not keen on him in anything else I've seen him in, which isn't much admittedly. He seems very flat.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Jan 2018 12:08:29 5,592 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm starting to see where some of your artistic inspiration maybe coming from.
  • Tomo 10 Jan 2018 12:46:21 15,679 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Life - 7/10

Alien rip-off. Much better than I expected. CGI was a bit dodgy, but it was always very watchable throughout. Some decent acting too - the crew actually had personalities rather than just being monster fodder.
  • europeanbob 10 Jan 2018 13:28:21 51 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anybody seen The Phantom Thread yet? I want to watch it based purely on the fact that it's PTA and DDL, though the premise seems a little uninspiring..
  • brokenkey 10 Jan 2018 13:52:30 9,203 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    I'm interested in seeing this but the trailer was offputting. Martin McDonagh likes his swears and it was funny in In Bruges, but every other word? Seemed a bit forced to me.
    I can't say the swearing was excessive here. There's a couple of c-bombs, but funny in the context they are used.
  • foster2007 10 Jan 2018 14:49:34 253 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The room - 10/10
  • riceNpea 10 Jan 2018 15:18:30 937 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SW: Last Jedi 6.5/10

I thought it was ok right up to the very end when Disney plants the thought of toys into children's mind. Its just like the end of Tomorrowland starring George Clooney and the subliminal 'visit the Magic Kingdom' panorama.
  • anephric 10 Jan 2018 15:24:10 2,779 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    riceNpea wrote: Its just like the end of Tomorrowland starring George Clooney and the subliminal 'visit the Magic Kingdom' panorama.
    Not very subliminal, considering the film is named after part of the park, and is essentially a love letter to Epcot.
  • riceNpea 10 Jan 2018 15:26:59 937 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @anephric well yes, but for those who didnt know that the imagery was clear.
  • Derblington 10 Jan 2018 15:30:47 30,185 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So still not subliminal?
  • Page

of 3611 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.