Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3602

• Page

of 3611 First / Last

• ChiefGB 2 Jan 2018 00:32:34 7,548 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spindle9988 ah hah that's tomorrow night then as I'm on a months trial atm.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 06:33:17 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Captain Fantastic
    Aragon is living off grid with six children (or is it five?). He teaches them to fend for themselves and also maths, physics, politics, philosophy etc. The intention is to create Philosopher Kings out of them.

Things happen and the troupe is forced to confront society at large. Culture clashes ensues.

This is a tricky tale to tell. It's tempting to set one side up as the best thing ever and the other as the worst. It's a fine line to walk to not end up kicking someone who is down. THere's a scene when this happens that made me feel the film was cheating. But then it manage to balance itself and in the end I ended up enjoying the film.

It's not great but it's good. It also shows some drop dead gorgeous American countryside.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2018 08:19:03 16,881 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually thought Viggo's character was being pretty irresponsible, and that being out there is probably not going to be as idyllic in real life as it's portrayed in the movie.

I agree that the film felt like it cheated sometimes, particularly in that scene where the dumb civilised kid is schooled by the home-schooled kid (how did they know so much about current events if they were in the middle of nowhere with no newspapers or internet?) Also, some kids are just a bit dim. So using the dimmest regularly-educated kid as an example of why home-schooling is better, feels like a cheat.

But it became more nuanced in the end, when you realised that the grandfather wasn't just some monster who wanted to take kids away from their parents for no reason. On the contrary, he had a very very good reason!

Anyway, I agree in that I thought it was good, but not great.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:25:09 02-01-2018
  • dominalien 2 Jan 2018 08:33:01 8,407 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paddington 2

I haven't seen the first one so I can't tell whether it has the sequelitis curse, but I was sad, I was happy, I cried.

8/10, but only because I wasn't overly fond of most of the characters. The prison cook dude was cool.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 08:34:16 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Red Turtle

Perfect film to wind down the year (and the kids) with.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 08:39:51 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I actually thought Viggo's character was being pretty irresponsible, and that life out there is probably not going to be as idyllic in real life as it's portrayed in the movie.
    I agree with everything you wrote. I also think the interaction with the grandparent made it clear that Viggo was a bit of an ass and that he himself realised that. And the scene with the knuckle dragging gamergaters was the one I really disliked.

Loved the way the grandparent grandchildren relation was handled. Did not like the "Oh hi dad we've been hiding in the bus for a fucking DAY now and Grandpaw doesn't seem to care! Deus Ex Machina ending.

Felt like the writer couldn't be bothered to tie it all up in a meaningful way so just took a shortcut.

The ending scene was sweet tough. I think the film had a bigger impact on me since I'm a parent, than if I wasn't.
  • GarlVinland 2 Jan 2018 09:18:46 2,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pitch Perfect 3 - 3/10

I never thought while watching the fairly grounded first that one day I'd be seeing Fat Amy straight up murder a guy with C4, but here we are. The film is one massive shark jump.
  • ModoX 2 Jan 2018 09:33:58 3,024 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow that sounds bad, I loved the first but don't care for the second, I'll avoid this one I think.
  • Blakester 2 Jan 2018 09:44:02 4,292 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My 12 year old daughter says Pitch Perfect 3 is the best film ever made. Sounds like they're hitting the target demographic square in the chops.
  • GarlVinland 2 Jan 2018 09:57:24 2,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My missus loved the aforementioned scene. I tried to point out the tonal whiplash in a series that started with a lady making music with a cup, but she wasn't having any of it. She's in her mid-20s and also hated Blade Runner.

What will blockbuster filmmaking look like in 2028, I wonder? :confused:
  • spindle9988 2 Jan 2018 10:08:48 4,650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Brawl in cell block 99 9/10

What a performance from Vine Vaughn. It does get quite far fetched at times which can feel strange as the start sets it up for a more realistic film. Don't let it put you off though as this is a top film.
  • gooner77 2 Jan 2018 11:33:41 1,214 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    War for the Planet of the Apes 8/10

Not quite as good as Dawn but a very fitting experience so to the trilogy. As ever the Ape effects are amazing and the story is very compelling with great acting all round too.
  • ModoX 2 Jan 2018 13:15:52 3,024 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    My missus loved the aforementioned scene. I tried to point out the tonal whiplash in a series that started with a lady making music with a cup, but she wasn't having any of it. She's in her mid-20s and also hated Blade Runner.

What will blockbuster filmmaking look like in 2028, I wonder? :confused:
    I think we all know what you need to do...
  • Vortex808 2 Jan 2018 13:20:46 11,857 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is it....fhuta?
  • GarlVinland 2 Jan 2018 13:22:57 2,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Vortex808 Being EG, I assumed so!
  • HarryB 2 Jan 2018 13:23:58 7,235 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Brawl in cell block 99 9/10

What a performance from Vine Vaughn. It does get quite far fetched at times which can feel strange as the start sets it up for a more realistic film. Don't let it put you off though as this is a top film.
    I thought it got very weird by the end. Those bloody bone snaps made me flinch a bit too
  • anephric 2 Jan 2018 13:29:26 2,782 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cell Block 99 is trying very hard to be a grindhouse film, so I don't think realism is high on its agenda. I thought that from the get-go, when he smashes up the car like something out of SF2.
  • ModoX 2 Jan 2018 14:17:03 3,024 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Is it....fhuta?
    Ok, let's call my idea plan B then :)
  • thelzdking 2 Jan 2018 17:55:36 6,631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:

The Bishop's Wife - 8/10

The best angel-on-earth-at-Christmas film I've ever seen.
    We finished watching this last night, the 3rd consecutive year we've watched it at Christmas. It's a shame that it's largely ignored - I find it a more enjoyable movie to It's a Wonderful Life.

Cary Grant plays his role to perfection, and the double act with David Niven has a clever balance of humour and pathos.
    Yeah, I think it might become a Christmas staple for me too.
  • Max_Powers 2 Jan 2018 20:02:54 1,227 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Raw 9/10

French arthouse ‘horror’. Was fantastic, certaintly something you’ve never seen before.

The Square 9/10

Probably my film of last year. From the same director that did Turist/Force Majeure. Very clever and very funny satire on the art world/society.

Brawl in Cellblock 99 3/10

Vaugnh wasn’t bad but I found this film morally bankrupt. The simple revenge story didn’t do it for me, every character and every interaction is hateful and sadistic. I don’t know it just made me depressed. Also, I can’t stand films anymore about the US prison system even though it is fictionalized, as in real life it is such an atrocity.

Edited by Max_Powers at 20:03:55 02-01-2018
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jan 2018 20:12:19 5,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Star Wars The Last Jedi

Some great set pieces, some nice character bits, but slightly undercooked and directionless as a whole

Plus I saw it in 3D and it looked fucking dreadful in 3D

7/10 film with a two point penalty for the 3D experience 5/10 overal
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 2 Jan 2018 20:56:39 11,950 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't think the 3D was any worse than normal. Certainly on par with anything else I've seen.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 2 Jan 2018 21:08:44 5,248 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Exactly - fucking dreadful
  • GarlVinland 3 Jan 2018 09:44:34 2,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    City Hunter - 5/10

It's Under Siege, starring Jackie Chan. Except that never featured a scene where Jackie gets electrocuted by an arcade, turns into Chun-li and then fights another guy as Ken. Or where Jackie is so hungry, he hallucinates a girl's breasts as hamburgers and tries to eat them.

God of Gamblers III - 5/10

One of Stephen Chow's early movies, before Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle. To sum up, he's a gambling prodigy because he has magic powers like X-ray vision and rubbing cards so they turn into something else. Another dude with magic powers fights him, and their collective powers accidentally transport them back to 1930's Shanghai. They enter a high stakes card game, Gong Li's in it playing a lady and her special needs twin, and Stephen creates McDonalds and sings a song about making pork buns.

Both films have really stupid, offensive and dated humour. Both are also pretty entertaining if you're mildly inebriated like I was.
  • Bambot 3 Jan 2018 09:56:14 916 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Interstellar: 8/10

I had avoided this at the time because a) I just can't enjoy movies everyone's telling me is THE GREATEST MOVIE EVAH, and b) I was kind of done with Nolan's 'clever clever' movies after Inception which was a great little action flick but nowhere near as deep as everyone fancied it to be, and both Dark Knight movies which I found overlong and over-grandiose, and c) I'd heard it completely undermined the grand concept of saving humanity by having humanity's saviours squabble and fight with each other.

Saw it the other day and fucking loved it.

Full of plot holes of course (so many, so very very many) and it seemed obvious Matt Daaaaamon was a lying liar from the moment they woke him up (but then I already knew, so maybe it's that). But I can see why everyone did what they did in the situation they were in - even with the weight of the entire planet on your shoulders, you're still just a human being.

And it made me cry like a fuckin baby at the end, I was so invested in Murph and Cooper's relationship. And I laughed a lot at his assumption the station was named after him, that was awesome.

So yeah.
  • spindle9988 3 Jan 2018 10:14:07 4,650 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Interstellar: 8/10

I had avoided this at the time because a) I just can't enjoy movies everyone's telling me is THE GREATEST MOVIE EVAH, and b) I was kind of done with Nolan's 'clever clever' movies after Inception which was a great little action flick but nowhere near as deep as everyone fancied it to be, and both Dark Knight movies which I found overlong and over-grandiose, and c) I'd heard it completely undermined the grand concept of saving humanity by having humanity's saviours squabble and fight with each other.

Saw it the other day and fucking loved it.

Full of plot holes of course (so many, so very very many) and it seemed obvious Matt Daaaaamon was a lying liar from the moment they woke him up (but then I already knew, so maybe it's that). But I can see why everyone did what they did in the situation they were in - even with the weight of the entire planet on your shoulders, you're still just a human being.

And it made me cry like a fuckin baby at the end, I was so invested in Murph and Cooper's relationship. And I laughed a lot at his assumption the station was named after him, that was awesome.

So yeah.
    Who on Earth told you it was the greatest movie ever?
  • Jyzzy-Z 3 Jan 2018 10:18:52 2,485 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Was really disappointed in Interstellar. Had all the ingredients to be a classic but the plot holes were just too big. I don't think I've rewatched it since the cinema so maybe I should give it another spin.

It's certainly well produced, directed and acted, but the plot didn't really hold together for me.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jan 2018 10:28:33 16,881 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think there is a tendency - moreso than with other directors - for people to overrate Christopher Nolan movies. So even when they're great (Dunkirk) or just pretty good (Interstellar, Inception) people can still feel disappointed because nothing could ever live up to the hype.

/considers mentioning imdb and the Shawshank Redemption
  • b0rk 3 Jan 2018 10:34:44 7,523 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shawshank is gud tho
  • Page

of 3611 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.