Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3569

• Page

of 3577 First / Last

• thelzdking 5 Oct 2017 11:44:23 6,237 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    I don't really care about all of the inconsistencies in TFA because I've not got a terminal case of nerd. I did think the story re-hashing ANH was lazy and cowardly, although I understand why they did it.

I thought we were going to see the post-Empire Star Wars, but nothing has actually changed. You have what is basically the Empire with a deathstar versus the Rebels who have about twenty ships, and a newbie Jedi fighting against an indecisive man in a plastic mask.
    Correct. Exactly what everyone wanted basically.
    Yeah, and it is a good film.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Oct 2017 12:34:59 16,165 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ghost in the Shell (the new one)

Second time watching it, at the behest of roommates who wanted to see it.

It was worse the second time around, because I was no longer wowed and distracted by the eye candy. It's still a very pretty movie, but aside from that and a couple of decent performances (I thought ScarJo and the guy who played Kuze were alright, and just love seeing Beat Takeshi in things) there's just not a whole lot there.

The script was pretty terrible tbh. Everything was just super obvious and spelled out, like they were worried that audiences wouldn't get it. But they really shouldn't have bothered with that, because the movie bombed anyway. If you're going to make a bomb, at least try and make it an interesting one?

6/10
  • The_Goon 5 Oct 2017 16:21:46 569 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    End of Watch - 7/10

Decent enough buddy cop movie. The story is forgettable and the cam footage is a bit annoying but the relationship between Pena's and Gyllenhaal's characters saves it. Some great banter and the rapport onscreen really works. Particularly impressed with Pena's comedic skills. I've seen him a few times do this kind of role and he pulls it off really well. Worth a watch on Prime if you have nothing else to watch.
  • Scimarad 5 Oct 2017 17:24:31 9,223 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049 - Easiest 10/10 ever:)

Can't wait to see it again.
  • Dougs 5 Oct 2017 17:34:16 83,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Git., :)
  • Scimarad 5 Oct 2017 17:52:38 9,223 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If I'm going to be picky about anything I'd say Jared Leto's character was a bit too 'standard evil'.

Loved everything else about it. I'm a big BR fan and there's a traitorous voice in my head saying this was...better.

Edited by Scimarad at 17:52:53 05-10-2017
  • MrFlay 5 Oct 2017 21:04:07 3,498 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone seen Blade Runner in 3D IMAX yet?
  • damagedinc 5 Oct 2017 21:29:04 2,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blade runner 2049 has put my faith back in film. So good
  • kingnothing12 5 Oct 2017 22:47:37 731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blade runner 2049 - 10/10

Loved everything about it. Felt like I've just witnessed something special.
  • HarryPalmer 5 Oct 2017 23:00:11 5,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049

Not going to rate it as I don't know. I felt some aspects were stunning. Visually it is flawless, and the expansion of the world created in the original is breath-taking. I really liked Love, Wallis and K. There is a small set piece involving Love and a drone strike that was so fucking cool.

BUT there are scenes that just don't need to be there. It's too damn long. Personally I think the whole Deckard storyline is unnecessary, and some of the foreshadowing is just too obvious. Hard to describe, but everything fits too neatly, whereas in the original there is an untidiness.

It feels too reverential to the original, and in my opinion would have been better off without Deckard. There's a lot of fan service.

Ultimately I wanted more of the visual stuff, because it was mind-blowingly cool, and way less plot. Completely subjective I know, but honestly I was a little disappointed, especially after the gushing reviews.

Caveat to all this is that I was off sick today and watched the Final Cut plus a load of making ofs! So may be a little Blade Runnered out.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 23:02:49 05-10-2017
  • challenge_hanukkah 5 Oct 2017 23:16:31 5,066 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it as good as Prometheus?
  • JoeBlade 5 Oct 2017 23:18:30 4,093 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /glares viciously
  • Jono62 5 Oct 2017 23:19:26 18,249 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does Ryan Gosling do a face?
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 00:13:30 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not going to be a popular opinion, but...

Blade Runner 2049 - 8/10. At times a 9.

Lots of really really good stuff. Also lots of unoriginal stuff that has been done better elsewhere, and some stuff that is just plain bad. Jared Leto, I'm looking at you.

Visually it's one of the most distinctive films in a long time, but the original still looks better. And I didn't think much of the last half hour or so. A few good moments but also took a turn I didn't like at all. Also there's a weird meta thing about Harrison Ford in the film I couldn't help thinking about that might have ruined it a bit for me.

The best part of the film was being overwhelmed by it in a loud cinema with the stunning visuals and Hans Zimmer blowing my eardrums. But then I said the same thing about Inception and now I think it's average. I think this will hold up better, but I don't see it becoming a classic like the original. Maybe even the opposite, a slight dip once the hype wears off.
  • mal 6 Oct 2017 03:31:01 28,312 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Almost guaranteed at this rate. Three rather postive reviews in already, certain contrarians are going to see this as a conspiracy, and start posting 3/10-or-lower reviews for months to come, just as happened with TFA, if you scroll to the top of the screen.

To a certain extent this is natural; if you go and see a film with low expectations but objectively find it middling, you're going to be positively surprised and more likely to write a positive review. Conversely, too much hype makes people more likely to go into a film looking for every little annoyance throughout.

Edited by mal at 03:31:45 06-10-2017
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2017 04:26:50 16,165 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's also the spectre of reviews that aren't actually reviews, but basically part of a movie's publicity. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

And while "contrarians" do exist, there are also those who just have legitimately different opinions on something. It's often difficult to tell them apart, so I like to assume good faith as much as possible.

But of course there are those who see any and all dissenting opinions as not genuine. See: all the "but Metacritic!" comments under the EG review of Horizon: Zero Dawn.
  • Jono62 6 Oct 2017 06:18:41 18,249 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pazuzu would review Bladerunner properly.
  • kingnothing12 6 Oct 2017 08:43:19 731 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd like to add that my other half didn't enjoy it no where near as much as I did. She got bored and thought it dragged in places.

I can see it splitting some folks down the middle.
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 08:54:53 5,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Almost guaranteed at this rate. Three rather postive reviews in already, certain contrarians are going to see this as a conspiracy, and start posting 3/10-or-lower reviews for months to come, just as happened with TFA, if you scroll to the top of the screen.

To a certain extent this is natural; if you go and see a film with low expectations but objectively find it middling, you're going to be positively surprised and more likely to write a positive review. Conversely, too much hype makes people more likely to go into a film looking for every little annoyance throughout.
    LUL. I don't see the positive reviews as a conspiracy, just someone enjoying the film more than me.

I wanted to love it and was certainly not looking for annoyances. It will basically boil down to: if you like the Deckard storyline, you'll probably love it. For me it would have been so much better if Deckard was dead - you could have had almost the exact same story arc, but it would have played out more efficiently.

Personally, I felt that there was a fair bit of bloat - all the stuff with his GF for example (which is completely derivative of Her). And then its really rushed at the end.

I hate to say it but it feels very by the book in terms of the structure and how the plot progresses. Which makes it quite predictable. The original has a kind of weird structure where things just happen, and perhaps dont make sense - whether this is intentional or not, it makes it interesting.

I want to see it again. I probably like it more than I'm making out. The world it creates is fucking incredible. I am a massive Blade Runner fanboy, so perhaps was always going to react this way.
  • GarlVinland 6 Oct 2017 09:16:40 2,066 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The couple I was sat next to was evidently there because the guy had tricked his gf into thinking it was an action film and possible showcase of Ryan Gosling's torso. She figured this out almost immediately when the film opened with a wall of text. I think she fell asleep halfway through but thankfully the film was so damn loud I couldn't hear her snoring.
  • brokenkey 6 Oct 2017 09:32:05 9,012 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is it worth watching Blade Runner again before going off to see newBladeRunner?
  • HarryPalmer 6 Oct 2017 09:34:10 5,218 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @brokenkey I did, and I would say it's probably worth it.

There are so many nods here and there, and the way the world has developed (decayed) compared to the first is really interesting.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:57:10 06-10-2017
  • Blakester 6 Oct 2017 09:52:45 4,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its probably the loudest film I’ve ever heard, and that’s not a compliment.
  • Zerobob 6 Oct 2017 11:06:26 1,939 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Detroit - 5/10

For those not in the know, this film is a true story which focuses on the 1967 Detroit riots and one night's events involving of a group of white police officers. However, the film spent far too much time establishing this central premise, to the point I became numb from being hit over the head repeatedly by it. All it needed to establish was the fact that rioting and looting was occurring, the reasons for this civil unrest, and then move the story forwards.

The real bulk of the story is then finally allowed to breathe, after what felt like around an hour's worth of jumbled rioting scenes, including a lot of vague "newsreel footage". The central scenes of the film are tense and well executed, mainly due to Officer Krauss, played brilliantly by Will Poulter, who added menace and much needed drive to proceedings. The acting throughout was of a high standard, and there certainly wasn't a poor performance in sight. I was, however, confused by the inclusion of John Boyega's character, a shop security guard named Dismukes. He didn't appear to add much to the film, nor was he central to any of the film's key events. In fact, thinking back to the film's trailer, it made it seem like his character was of central importance, and that he was take the fall for the actions of the police officers on the night in question, yet strangely nothing ever came of this. I can't help but think the film included and promoted Boyega as a key character purely for publicity, based on Boyega's recent popularity as an actor linked with the Star Wars franchise. It would have been nice to see him take on a more central role.

However, the biggest misstep is that the film didn't capitalise on the truly interesting parts of this true story, which for me was the aftermath and trial. Too much time was spent getting to the film's central events and so, as a consequence, too little time was spent attempting to explore subsequent events in the story, such as determining responsibility for the failings of the police force, and how the central characters were affected. I can't help but think the whole film would have worked better as a courtroom drama with flashbacks providing insight into the events on the night in question.

Overall, I found it hard to forgive the film for its awful pacing and uninspired construction, to the point where the film really stagnated on multiple occasions, especially in the first half. It almost felt like the film had contempt for its audience and I came away feeling fairly depressed, uninspired, and a little jaded. Maybe this was director Kathryn Bigelow's intention.

Wonder Woman - 6/10

This certainly wasn't the superhero movie revelation I was lead to believe, but maybe I went in with expectations raised too high. I found the beginning sequences campy, even compared to something like Marvel's Thor. I also thought the concept as a whole was quite jarring in terms of the WWII setting contrasted with Wonder Woman's Amazonian roots and bewwwbs. This may not be a failing of the film as such, but more of the Wonder Woman story and concept itself, but I can only review what I witnessed. The action sequences throughout the film are very well done, as you would expect for a big blockbuster release, although I don't think there's any escaping the odd bit of overblown obvious CGI in a film of this type.

Concept and visuals aside, I did find the chemistry between Gadot and Pine surprisingly genuine. I was doubtful of Gadot's acting ability based on trailers for Wonder Woman and, although her performance shouldn't win any academy awards, she embodied the character of Wonder Woman (or Diana Prince) perfectly, whether intentionally or not.

The films antagonists felt strangely absent for most of the film, the only real menace added by the vague threat of gas attacks which overshadowed proceedings. This is an area that I really felt the film could have heavily improved upon.

In terms of the overall story, you shouldn't expect any more than a relatively standard "by the numbers" hero overcoming adversity formula. Yet, even though this basic approach was used, I didn't think Diana Prince had much adversity to overcome, especially not on a personal level, as you got with characters such as Tony Stark in Iron Man.

All in all, a solid action film, if a little forgettable, but certainly not up there with other superhero films such as Ironman or The Avengers, as others might have you believe.

Mindhorn - 8/10

I'm not sure if it's any secret that it's the strength of Julian Barratt's comedy performances that made The Mighty Boosh so great, but that's the way I've always seen it, and his writing and performance in Mindhorn further confirms this for me. His presence and comedic awkwardness whilst playing the character of Richard Thorncroft (or Detective Bruce Mindhorn) really does carry the movie, almost in its entirety. This is a solid little British comedy, if a little niche for overseas audiences, due to the obtuse offbeat premise of a 70s detective TV show "Mindhorn" within a film of the same name.

Without delving into specifics, the storyline is pretty standard-fare when stripped back, but these days I feel I should commend a film for simply getting storytelling basics right, such as a protagonist the audience can readily get behind, and said protagonist overcoming their personal demons to reach their goals, much to the satisfaction of the audience. This film contains all these things. Yey.

The humour is very much stuck at the "awkward" end of the Alan Partridge scale, and so it's no surprise that Steve Coogan turns up. I have to admit this style of comedy is very much up my street, so others may not gain as much from it as I did; even the character names and concepts tickle me.

Overall it doesn't outstay it's welcome and is certainly worth watching, but sadly it doesn't bring anything new to the table in terms of comedy, and so admittedly feels a little anchored in the past, I suppose in the same way Richard Thorncroft does.

A Streetcat Named Bob - 7/10

A generally much darker film than I thought it'd be, but given the subject matter of homelessness and drug addiction, it shouldn't have been a surprise. I found it refreshing to simply watch a film with a straight forward and uplifting story, rather than some paranoid, special effects-heavy dystopian vision. I fully bought into the lead character James Bowen, played by Luke Treadaway, as the desperate down and out which the film revolves around. Some of the supporting characters were a little cliched in terms of their lines and delivery but, on reflection, they served their purpose well enough. I'm glad I gave this film a chance because on the whole I found it rather enjoyable.

Ender's Game - 5/10

To set the scene, in the past, aliens attempted to invade the Earth, until a lone pilot decided to "do an Independence Day" and fly a jet into the Mothership and take down their entire fleet. I wish I was making this up, but sadly I'm not. It's then decided on Earth that only children can save the day, so they must be trained from an early age to deal with the alien threat once and for all. This film follows the story of one such child, Ender Wiggin. Think a cross between The Last Star Fighter and Starship Troopers, sort of.

There's no getting around the fact that this is a power fantasy aimed at children and teens, obvious from the outset. There's not too much here for adults unless you like rolling your eyes at cliched dialogue delivered by kids and young adults for two hours, but I'm just about wise enough to recognise this is probably a film I would have enjoyed when I was younger. Unfortunately, as an adult, I felt like I'd seen almost all the scenes before in other films, from bootcamp banter to space battles.

Plotwise, I felt the film became quite muddled early on due to it being unclear whether Ender's family felt his inclusion on the military training programme was something they wanted, which is key to the outlook of the story. I also couldn't shake the thought that there was no need for his training to be so cryptic or abstract in nature, other than to add false mystery to the film, and that Ender's time would have been better spent on more vocational activities in terms of strategy and the war effort. Speaking of strategy, at one point Ender is laughably commended for coming up with a unique winning strategy in a tactical shooting game during his training, a winning strategy that any man, woman or child capable of rational thinking would also have arrived at. Regardless, anybody who's ever played Laser Quest before knows that Ender's strategy was clearly against the rules.

The storyline almost begs the question of morality to be addressed yet, much like films such as The Running Man, Battle Royale or The Hunger Games, it completely sidesteps the issue purely to allow the film to maintain its unrestricted shock value. That is until halfway into the film, when for some reason it suddenly becomes relevant for all characters to consider the morals of their actions. It should be seen as a positive that the film's characters do question their principles and choices eventually though. Better late than never.

Scenes are delivered with a shallow, direct, fit-for-purpose naivety, but are a good fit for a film aimed at younger people, and this approach does help to keep things flowing at a nice pace, with no scenes feeling overly long. However, the film's ending was strangely abrupt, without giving any real resolution to any of the characters, which I felt was very jarring.

Overall, I found it hard to get enthusiastic about this film and I felt it lacked originality, but I would begrudgingly recommend it to younger viewers who are into their sci-fi.
  • beastmaster 6 Oct 2017 13:14:41 17,403 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Habit - 8.5/10

Cannibal horror film which is shot in Manchester city centre and Salford. I really enjoyed this. A slow build leads into an orgy of blood, sex and violence. Kind of reminded me of Society in certain places, which is no bad thing.

It was great to see areas I'm very familiar with in this film. Probably nothing for people based in London but it's rare to see Manchester in horror films. They also filmed it when it wasn't grey skies and raining, which is also a nice change.

The films really well acted. Even as things escalate, the performances of everyone involved keeps it on the right side of believable. Quite funny in places too.

Ruin Me - 7/10

Group of strangers pay for the "ultimate horror experience" called Slasher Sleepout, which is an extreme horror-themed event set in the woods.

This film isn't especially gory and only has the odd jump scare, one of which is especially funny. I think what they've gone for there is a mixture of Saw, whereby people have to solve puzzles to get further into the game or stay alive and Scream. It's very self aware but doesn't play on it too much and I think it's very good at rolling the rug from under you.

I liked all the characters in this, including Jack Black wannabe. They don't even make stupid choices in order to move the plot forward.

I think this film is extremely well done. It does rely on the obvious horror tropes but it aware of this and has a lot of fun with it. Which is what I had watching this film.
  • JoelStinty 6 Oct 2017 15:43:13 5,701 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dr Strange.

Just a bit boring really. Some amazing special effects - which sadly are pretty much all in the trailer, but it is just a pretty unlikeable film. There no substance to it, paired with an unlikeable main character i just never eased into the film and just felt a bit meh about the whole thing.

2/5
  • RawShark 6 Oct 2017 16:08:16 133 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049

• RichDC 6 Oct 2017 16:25:36 7,511 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pompeii

Visited the actual place a couple of days ago and wondered if this might give an impression of what events were like. It does not.l and is merely a generic boring roman gladiator film. The eruption of Vesuvius has nothing to do with the story and appears to be an excuse to avoid writing an ending and include some special effects.
  • Tomo 6 Oct 2017 21:00:14 15,544 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049 - 11/10

Fucking amazing. Soooooo good. It's basically high-brow sci-fi porn. It's so goddamn beautiful. Every scene is so beautifully shot. It feels a lot more expansive than the original - visits a lot of locations - but retains the aesthetic of the universe. Quite an amazing feat. The acting is sublime, even Jared Leto I thought, who is usually a huge ballbag. 3 hours of pure joy.

On a side note, seeing new films on Fridays really brings the fucking cunts to the cinema. A group of 5 pricks behind us, who paid 20 quid a ticket to sit and get wasted. They got steadily more and more drunk, walked in and out of the screening bringing in skiffs of beer, and there was even an empty bottle of Smirnoff by the end. Why the fuck do people do this? Combined with a one-at-a-time popcorn muncher and another couple who didn't realise the film was 3 hours long and insisted on looking at their phones. So many fucking cretins.

And yet despite all this bollocks, the whole thing was incredible.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Oct 2017 21:09:00 2,556 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This is why I hate that I love films. So many cunts can really ruin the cinema experience. Why spend money to dick around and ignore a film you've paid to watch, just stay at home instead. Wankers.
  • Page

of 3577 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.