Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3567

• Page

of 3575 First / Last

• riceNpea 3 Oct 2017 21:47:55 903 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @beastmaster

TFA plot details...

Ray training? One of the bug bears of mine was just how good she was with the force and a saber against a Sith Lord when days before she'd never even heard of the Force! :D

I saw some interviews and talks Mark Hamill gave about the film and he was very entertaining, honest and not all the gushing about it. It wasn't what he expected I think it's fair to say.

I'm interested in the next film but I'm definitely going to wait for reviews. If it follows in the first's footsteps I'll rent it
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 3 Oct 2017 21:49:46 1,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Baby Driver - 8/10

Once I got over it not being a comedy it was great, some of the shot setups and music lyric syncs are incredible.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 3 Oct 2017 21:52:17 1,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    really? She clearly knew how to fight and defend herself considering she's still alive at her age on her own.
  • The_Goon 3 Oct 2017 22:23:06 550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    @beastmaster I respect your view but I disliked Force Awakens immensely. If it was sold as a reboot, like how Star Trek was treated, I'd have appreciated it so much more. However as a sequel the stark similarities to A New Hope made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm not a hater, I went into the film so excited for the story to continue after such a decisive victory at the end of Return of the Jedi, wondering how there were going to do it. I was honestly gutted when effectively I watched a twist on A New Hope.

But then I'm obviously not the target audience. Disney are clearly trying to replicate the magic the first 3 films created for me as a young boy. I just wish they'd admit they rebooted the 'franchise' (hate that word) And I'd understand too. After all the Rebels had annihilated the Empire and its leadership.

Pardon me, I don't mean to bring you down if you loved the film. I get all Simon Pegg about it :D

Rogue One was a far better film though, really enjoyed that.
    I'm with you. I thought TFA was a bit pants frankly. It just didn't quite feel like Star Wars. Rey being great with the force; Finn and Poe palling it up so quickly; Finn risking thousands of lives because he fancies some girl basically (i.e. he doesn't know how to destroy the "Death Star") - all lends itself to a shitty movie for me. I feel like they've tried to be too funny with the latest Star Wars movies and it just doesn't quite work. There was always an element of humour in the original trilogy but the balance just feels off now to me. Hopefully Episode 8 will up the ante.
  • riceNpea 3 Oct 2017 23:49:46 903 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @The_Goon aside from the plot being a near copy of A New Hope there were so many inconsistencies that I just couldn't, as hard as I tried because I love Star Wars, see past them to just enjoy the film as if it were a stand-alone project.

I was gutted they made Han a failed dad and husband a homeless tramp smuggler again and to top it off hes lost the Falcon. TFA destroyed everyone. Super tough Leia is a failed mother and wife who inexplicably was never shown a thing by Luke in the ways of the Force although clearly she's still adept because she can sense Han's death from across the galaxy. She also completely blanks Chewie whom she's know for years to hug Rey who she doesnt know from a hole in the ground. Luke is another failure, loses his school, abandons his family and friends. He doesn't want to be found but leaves a map...in R2D2...a machine...thats in a coma....and no one thinks of resetting him or just reading his memory or something.

So the entire Republic collapsed because one planet was destroyed?! And why is Kylo so much more powerful than even Yoda and Vader with skills they didn't have but he doesn't use them on Rey and fights her conventionally.....Rey in turn is far too powerful already for a girl who didn't even know the Force existed 10 minutes ago.

Finn? What was he there for? Like you say his choices made no sense. He was conveniently unconscious for the last third of the film because he would've made even less sense otherwise.

Poe should've died in the crash, nobody knows how he could be survived and then just neglects to do what he was meant to do in the first place.

Starkiller Base, the size of a city, can be destroyed with absolute ease and its vulnerabilities easily located by Finn like he designed it. At least the other Deathstars missions nearly ended in defeat for the Rebels, this one was a piece of piss in comparison.

I could go on there are so many inconsistencies, surely too many to be easily explained away in the sequels.

You know what pissed me off the most? That after Han died that bitch Rey got to fly the Falcon. Chewie has been co pilot of that ship for decades and had jist watched his best mate die and she takes charge of the ship as if she's entitled to it and he doesn't even bat an eyelid.

For those of you who didn't reveal the spoiler to read my self indulgent bollocks you did the right thing.

Edited by riceNpea at 23:51:03 03-10-2017
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2017 04:31:35 16,121 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I second that. Don't read the spoilered bits, you will regret it.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 06:47:53 83,473 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I concur. As I'm sure was done to death at the time of release of TFA, many of those criticisms could also be levelled at the OT. They are full of plot holes and conveniences. I loved TFA, thought it nailed that essence of Star Wars. Rewatched it recently and still loved it.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2017 06:54:10 16,121 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it was alright. But I've never been a giant Star Wars fan, and felt like it was something specifically geared towards the fans.

(not that there's anything wrong with that)
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 06:57:04 83,473 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh it was fan service for sure.
  • RelaxedMikki 4 Oct 2017 08:22:46 2,133 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Highlight for me was the bit at the beginning where emo-Vader did the force on a laser bolt and froze it in mid-air.

The accompanying sound effect was REALLY LOUD, PARDON in the cinema I was in.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 09:52:22 83,473 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hell or High Water. 7/10. I liked this, was a good old fashioned film, a Modern day western. The style and pace was spot on, Bridges ace and Chris Pine was good too. If you like westerns (and Bridges chewing his way through scenes), you'll like this.
  • Jeepers 4 Oct 2017 09:55:37 16,267 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I concur. As I'm sure was done to death at the time of release of TFA, many of those criticisms could also be levelled at the OT. They are full of plot holes and conveniences. I loved TFA, thought it nailed that essence of Star Wars. Rewatched it recently and still loved it.
    It was more Star Wars-y than any of the prequels. I liked it.
  • Tonka 4 Oct 2017 10:10:01 26,251 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TFA was better than the prequels but for some weird reason it managed to turn me off Star Wars in a way the prequels didn't. Felt too by the numbers I guess.

The prequels are all horribly shit films (imho) but it's someone taking his ideas (and lack there of) and going full tilt. TFA is design by committee. If it hadn't been Rian Johnson at the helm of the next one I think I might have skipped it at the cinema.
  • GarlVinland 4 Oct 2017 10:21:27 2,062 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gerald's Game - 8/10

Better than I thought it would be. The acting is pretty brilliant and it's constantly gripping. Must have been cheap as chips to make too, it's almost entirely set in one room with 2 actors and a very lucky dog (he gets to lounge around on set eating all day).

It takes a weird turn tonally near the end and some of the story revelations are a bit underwhelming, but I expected to fall asleep halfway through and instead made it right to the finish.
  • The_Goon 4 Oct 2017 10:38:23 550 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Not sure I agree completely. I'm sure there are plot holes and inconsistencies in the OT but none that felt so in your face as they do in TFA. TNH felt plausible (as plausible as it can be anyway...) but TFA felt contrived. As RnP critiqued, it doesn't/cannot stand alone as too much is left unexplained and I struggle to see how much of it will be explained away in the second beyond a silly "deus ex machina" device.

Just reading RnP's spoilered thoughts reminds me of how irked I was with the movie. Mates for 40 odd years and Han has never tried Chewie's bowcaster before???? Come on. Stormtroopers now suddenly have their own lightsabers? All just a pile of nonsense.
  • riceNpea 4 Oct 2017 11:37:35 903 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @The_Goon

I don't mind censoring myself because I don't want the thread to become all about Star Wars but I would like to reply to The_Goon

the irony for me is that i would've accepted all of the problems I had with TFA if Disney sold it as a reboot. Like others said the originals had their inconsistencies too and i loved them anyway. The disappointment as I watched the film and realised it was as close to a reboot without being sold as one and not a proper sequel with new, exciting ideas, new exotic threats to the galaxy perhaps, brought all the inconsistencies into sharp relief and I was unable to just enjoy it for what others saw it as. I totally respect that they loved it. I can see why others would. I'm hoping they can see why I don't too. It's a shame the film is so polarizing. It should've been a triumphant return to form like the first Star Trek film reboot was in my opinion.

Edited by riceNpea at 11:41:00 04-10-2017
  • JoelStinty 4 Oct 2017 11:58:27 5,681 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really like TFA. It kind of re-opened an inner fanboy about the series for me again. Sure, it treads a really fine line with being similar to a new hope, but i didn;t mind that, i felt on safe ground, and it delivered all the star war notes with crowd pleasing spectacle. Also i think that some people mistake some of the iconography and design 'as being ripped off', but if you look at at TESB and ROTJ little things are evident in each - how scenes are lighted, use of setting (bridges for example), it's what made the original trilogy tick and bring you into it's universe. TFA delivered all that, it understood the DNA of the series. It successfully introduced a new cast, set up the trilogy and If they did it so they could try something different like they did with RO, then i'm totally ok with that. A lot was riding on that film, and JJ pulled it off.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Oct 2017 12:02:35 2,149 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It was alright. Very Disney/Hollywood. Safe and by the numbers. Star Wars 1977 was pretty groundbreaking in lots of ways, TFA was perfectly fine but didn't really do anything new at all.

Episode 8 will be a DD for me. I can't see any of these films being worth a trip to the cinema really. I fully expect it's going to be a grimdark Empire remake.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Oct 2017 12:16:09 2,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Highlight for me was the bit at the beginning where emo-Vader did the force on a laser bolt and froze it in mid-air.

The accompanying sound effect was REALLY LOUD, PARDON in the cinema I was in.
    I heard a former user on here called Vizzini didn't take that scene particularly well.
  • FilthyAnimal 4 Oct 2017 15:48:00 22 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Power Rangers - 7/10

Chalk this one up as one of the bigger positive surprises of the year. I gave it a miss in the cinemas as the series is ridiculously childish and pretty much unwatchable nowadays (yes, I loved it in my youth), and I had a sense that the movie would be the same, only aimed at the youngest generation of YouTube kiddies, so I was surprised to see that it's a remarkably grounded, well-written story that strikes a decent balance between acknowledging and embracing the ridiculousness of the original series and adapting it with a more robust narrative. Clearly aimed at the people who watched the original series in the 90s as opposed to today's youth (in fact, there are a number of scenes that plainly are not suitable for younger kids).

If I'm honest, the CGI frenzy of the last half an hour was fairly bland compared to the 90 minute build-up that came before it, but Elizabeth Banks is always fun when she's chewing scenery.

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 15:49:20 04-10-2017
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2017 16:42:45 10,215 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    47 Metres Down

Not bad as far as shark things go. Much better than that god awful Shallows film. Would have been better with a better couple of actresses and also of they hadn't bottled the ending that it should have been. Not bad at all. Disclaimer: I'm on a min break at the moment so was kind of drunk when I watched it.

NO SCORE
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2017 16:43:20 10,215 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And Force Awakens is great you nonces.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 16:47:20 7,967 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I rewatched TFA again recently in a Star Wars Binge (they were all on Sky recently so watched them all on my big 4K TV upscaled with motionflow. NICE!).

It's fucking terrible with poor acting and poor script. Outside of the Ewok films it's by far the worst SW film so far. Really got no faith in Ep8 at this point.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2017 16:53:43 10,215 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm pretty sure you said you like the prequels though. Coupled with the fact you use motion flow you really need to question some of your life choices.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2017 17:00:09 9,773 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why on earth would you want to watch Star Wars with motion smoothing? That's for sports and shit, not films. It makes films look like Eastenders.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 17:16:31 7,967 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Decks

Yeah I don't mind the prequels. That doesn't stop TFA being a poorly written poorly acted rehash. Even for a SW film none of it made sense.

As for motionflow I quite like the realistic look it gives stuff. Doesnt work with everything but cgi heavy stuff works well. The SW films looked amazing even as upscaled 1080.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2017 17:20:15 9,773 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Euch, seriously, it's horrible tech. It adds noise and artefacts as well as stopping films looking cinematic. It's a price worth paying for certain sports as the judder can be unbearable, but I really don't know why you're using it for film. Each to their own I guess.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Oct 2017 17:20:59 10,215 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I honestly don't know how you could say something is poorly written and poorly acted seconds after saying you don't mind the Star Wars prequels.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 17:29:24 7,967 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Decks

The prequels weren't that poorly written IMO. Lots of mistakes were made for sure but on the whole they are fun to watch. TFA was just plain stupid and made no sense most of the way through and most importantly was simply an uninteresting rehash. At least The prequels did something fresh. The wooden cast also made Oscar nominations of the prequels cast even ford looked uninterested. Rogue One was by far a better revival. I said before in a thread I'm more pumped for the anthology films than eps 8&9.

Edited by bad09 at 17:30:58 04-10-2017
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 17:32:49 83,473 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    See, I think it's the exact opposite. The prequels were dull as fuck, with a few star wars scenes thrown in. At least TFA was entertaining. Anyway...
  • Page

of 3575 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.