Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3538

• Page

of 3541 First / Last

• simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Aug 2017 13:20:50 3,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Silent Hill

Obviously softened edges and Hollywood-ised from the games but a pretty solid attempt at putting the game world on screen for the most part. Given how times have changed it actually feels more televisual than cinematic too (Silent Hill would totally work as a tv series if someone put some money into its special effects and committed to the atmosphere). Its a bit bland but at least it doesn't try and turn Pyramid Head into a Freddy Kreuger style anti-hero the way the sequel does.

It's no Mortal Kombat but its better than most video game movies.

7/10
  • Syrette 10 Aug 2017 13:47:45 48,805 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's the best video game movie ever made, if you ask me.

Not sure if that's damning with faint praise, mind.
  • GarlVinland 10 Aug 2017 16:34:39 1,771 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I really enjoyed it, captured the feel of the first game in particular very well. Easily the most (maybe the only) faithful video game movie.

They could have cast anyone with an American accent though, why did they cast Sean Bean, is the real question.
  • craigy Staff 10 Aug 2017 16:35:01 9,156 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The Endless

A really neat existential horror movie (think Lovecraftian) from two co-directors, who also star in it. It's about two brothers who escaped from a cult/religious group 10 years beforehand, and who decide to go back. They find out that the group's beliefs might have some truth to them, and that is all I'm going to say about the plot.

They do amazing things with a limited budget, and really set to understand that fear of the unknown is often way more effective than any horror film monster. It's not out in cinemas yet, but look out for it in the future!

9.1/10

Oh, and here's a trailer.

Looks intriguing! Will give that a watch when it's out, for sure.
  • Bichii 10 Aug 2017 19:15:07 17 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    Life.

Miles better than the last few alien movies.

8/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Aug 2017 00:51:09 3,853 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Yeah I really enjoyed it, captured the feel of the first game in particular very well. Easily the most (maybe the only) faithful video game movie.
    I'd still go with Mortal Kombat although Silent Hill is close.

I haven't seen Assassin's Creed yet but from friends reactions it either nails it or is terrible so I'll have to watch for myself one day.

My least favourites are probably the Resi ones but that's probably because for all Mario and Street Fighter are balls I was never particularly attached to them as franchises. I would say Wing Commander but that film is so boring it's hard to get worked up about. Plus WC 3 and 4 make decent enough 'movies' themselves.
  • Technoishmatt 11 Aug 2017 02:07:05 1,821 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved the Doom movie!!!
  • mal 11 Aug 2017 02:47:53 28,002 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got Doom the movie on DVD for 2 quid in lidl, I think, and that feels about right. It's a perfectly fine b-movie, but has almost nothing to do with the source game as far as I can recall. The Resi films at least have the Umbrella Corp being generally bad, and Silent Hill I remember at least having Pyramid Head and sexy nurses gone wrong.

But yeah, Doom - what story does it have? One guy gone to Mars, which turns out to be hell. And they couldn't even get that right, I think.
  • Derblington 11 Aug 2017 07:19:33 28,822 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd rather watch Prince of Persia than all of the above, I think. Its just more fun.

None of them adhere to the games completely, they all take liberties in places. Hopefully the new TR film gets more right than it does wrong.
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2017 08:46:52 8,224 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MK is the best game movie for me as well. Just don't watch MK2, it's terrible.

That said...

Atomic Blonde

All the individual elements are awesome on paper but they don't come together at all. The first half is terribly boring, the 2nd a little less so, which came as a surprise to me with all the lesbian sex and violence. Music is jarring and out of place. Performances are over the top and out of place. Characters and unlikable, especially the lead. Til Schweiger is criminally underused. Only John Goodman is good.

Oh, and THANK GOD WE HAVE THE AMERICANS TO SORT ALL OUR PROBLEMS FOR US, EH?

3/10
  • craigy Staff 11 Aug 2017 08:51:39 9,156 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first-person bit of the Doom film is really neat. Other than that I have no recollection of it.

Managed to watch two things yesterday. Rare for a weeknight!

King of Comedy: 7/10
    Waaaaay ahead of its time. Really funny in places, and I love the way the editing melds fantasy and real life. The way it ends reminds me of Wolf on Wall Street, and after seeing this I definitely think that Jake Gyllenhaal was channeling aspects of Rupert Pupkin in Nightcrawler.

Knight of Cups: 6/10
    Malick films are starting to have diminishing returns. Tree of Life is one of my top-five films, but Cups didn't grab me in the same way. It's not as metaphysically interesting as Tree, but I suppose that's one of the problems with dealing with a film about the vapidness of LA culture: s'gonna be vapid. Also seems odd to hear ambient electronic music in a Malick film. When Biosphere's Hyperborea kicked in I thought I was imagining it. Some beautiful photography. The nightclub and festival scenes, especially.
  • drhickman1983 11 Aug 2017 08:53:00 4,802 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know I'm in the minority but I quite like the Warcraft movie. Not amazing, and heavily flawed, but an enjoyable fantasy film. Better than the Hobbit films.

Silent Hill was pretty decent too, up until the last third. I like the bleak ending though.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 08:55:11 9,237 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So far on this page we've had "best video game movie" and "better than the hobbit films". We just need "best flesh eating virus" and we've got a flavour house.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Aug 2017 08:55:37 9,237 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Full house?
  • mangojoe 11 Aug 2017 09:09:42 1,253 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was there a Mario film with Bob Hoskins or did I dream that?
  • nickthegun 11 Aug 2017 09:12:13 70,992 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most virus movies also double as zombie movies.

Except that one with Dustin Hoffman and the monkey.

6/10
  • dominalien 11 Aug 2017 09:12:25 8,224 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bob Hoskins wishes you had.
  • funkstar 11 Aug 2017 10:02:43 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For a different view on Atomic Blonde:

Twisty spy thriller with some good action bits and incredibly cool soundtrack perfectly suited with a mixture of period classics (e.g. Blue Monday) and Neue Deutsche Welle. Some awesome one-shot sequences. Great action sequences as expected from one of the John Wick directors (I think the better of the pair actually?). Not quite as much action/a lot more story than I was expecting. Had no problem with the characters. Perhaps could've done with tightening up a bit runtime wise.

7/10
  • solidsneek 11 Aug 2017 10:06:05 228 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Shin Godzilla

Typical cheesy Japanese film but so brilliant at the same time.

So many jokes in there also watched the subbed version at the cinema it's so good.
  • Derblington 11 Aug 2017 10:37:34 28,822 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    funkstar wrote:

Twisty spy thriller with some good action bits and incredibly cool soundtrack perfectly suited with a mixture of period classics (e.g. Blue Monday) and Neue Deutsche Welle. Some awesome one-shot sequences. Great action sequences as expected from one of the John Wick directors (I think the better of the pair actually?). Not quite as much action/a lot more story than I was expecting. Had no problem with the characters. Perhaps could've done with tightening up a bit runtime wise.

7/10
    I don't think there are really any one-shot sequences in Atomic blonde - they're all cleverly edited.

I agree with your overall assessment of the film though; it's a 7/10, as I stated a few pages back.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 11 Aug 2017 10:50:40 683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Cross of Iron (James Coburn)

I'd long heard this was "the" war film and had never sat and watched it. I got it on blu ray at the weekend as they've released a new version of it to celebrate something or other.

Have to say, its not a complete classic and although the story is well done and the acting really good, but it's showing its age and some elements just didn't work so well. I think I've seen "better" war films myself and I'd put this at about a 7/10 and wouldn't say its the classic it maybe was when it came out.

But then I quite liked warcraft as well, so my opinion isn't all that important. :)
  • beastmaster 11 Aug 2017 12:24:39 17,049 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ARQ - 7.5/10

Excellent sci-fi time travel thriller which has a lot of fun with it's time travel premise. Live. Die. Repeat. Again. With a twist.

I really enjoyed this film. At first, I thought it would be just a standard sci-fi Groundhog Day rip-off. Albeit a rather good one at that. But as the film progresses, it goes off in different directions that I didn't expect. By keeping the cast down to the two main leads and a few supporting characters, it gives the film time to really develop them.

I don't think the film has much in the way of snazzy effects or big action sequences due to it's limited budget but that didn't really matter to me. The film is in danger of being way to clever for it's down good but, for me, it stayed on the right side of believability all the way through.

I found everything about this film incredibly polished. It's done on a shoestring budget but I don't think this doesn't hampers the film in any way. This was a random pick on Netflix and it turned out much better than I expected. One that I think the lack of budget make the filmmakers more creative as a result. Well worth a watch.

Spectral - 5/10

Part Predator. Part Aliens. Nowhere near as good as either of them.

It looks as though an unseen enemy is taking out the troops so a team of nondescript marines (or whatever) are sent into a city war-zone to rescue them. I found this film just about average, even though it's clear that Netflix spent a lot on this as there are a plentiful and not that bad on the whole.

Yep, I cannot remember any of the characters apart from the young girl who looks like Newt from Aliens. There's a 'homage' scene in there which is pretty much shot identically. A nod to the film's aspirations perhaps but it falls way short. There are some decent enough action sequences and as previously mentioned, I found the effects are surprisingly good, especially with the boss battle type scene.

It's just a shame that the film overall is so unequivocally bland.

Dunkirk - 8/10

Got to say, right off the bat, I don't think this film is Nolan's best and it's certainly not the great masterpiece that some critics are making it out to be.
    Don't get me wrong, I think this film is excellent and very rousing. I went to see this on the 70mm IMAX and I would definitely recommend seeing this on the biggest screen possible. Whilst I was watching the film, I was on the edge of my seat and I found it to be an intense experience. After I came out though, apart from the action scenes, nothing stayed with me.

Apart from Kenneth Branagh and Cillian Murphy, who I think give terrific performances, I didn't think anybody else was memorable. There's no other interesting characters or development of any sort. Most of the drama comes for the fantastically staged battle scenes and these really are incredible. The cinematography is simply stunning. The use of sound is well worth a mention too. I found the soundtrack added a lot to the build up of the tension and excitement.

I do think the film will lose a lot when it eventually appears on the small screen. As this film had a total lack of interesting characters and any kind of drama between them, this for me prevents it from being called one of the greats. I think the film boasts incredible action, mostly a massive sense of scale (where are all those stranded troops though?) and it's very rousing. I can't wait to watch this again on 70mm IMAX but I really don't think I'll be making a huge effort to see this when it becomes available to watch at home.

Get Out - 9/10

This certainly is the best horror film I've seen all year so far.  

There was a lot of hype when this was released in cinemas at the start of the year. Quite justified in my opinion.

I don't think this film is particularly violent or gory and the film keeps the jump scares down to a bare minimum. What I think the film has in it's favour in a big way is that I had no idea where this film was going and how the film was going to end. I think it's rare these days for any kind of film to keep the audience guessing, especially in the horror genre. This film has been described to be as being weird and I do agree with this. Another plus in my book, as far as I'm concerned. The films also got an excellent soundtrack. It's very creepy and definitely adds to the mood of the mood of the film.

Everyone in the cast is brilliant. Especially English actor Daniel Kaluuya who plays the main guy.

The less you know about this film going in, the better. Even if you think you know something about this film...you don't!
  • funkstar 11 Aug 2017 17:54:01 3,198 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    funkstar wrote:

7/10
    I don't think there are really any one-shot sequences in Atomic blonde - they're all cleverly edited.

I agree with your overall assessment of the film though; it's a 7/10, as I stated a few pages back.
    ah yeah just looked it up the 8 minute staircase fight was filmed as a one shot a few times over then had a couple stitches to put the best bits together. Still impressive though!
  • anephric 11 Aug 2017 18:31:15 2,644 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood The ending of Cross of Iron is what really makes it special for me. Fucking brilliant. And totally improvised when they ran out of money!

I'm a fucking huge Peckinpah and Coburn fan, so this film is me all over.
  • ModoX 11 Aug 2017 23:53:27 2,675 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dunkirk - 9/10 (in 70mm Imax, maybe 8/10 outside that)

I've never been to an Imax before, but after all the reviews my missus and I made the trip up to the Printworks, so I might have just been on a high from the new experience, plus the Red's BBQ and Brewdog visits beforehand.

Anyway, the film was great, not quite as tense as I was expecting from what I'd heard, but it kept ramping up and had some brilliant scenes. The emotion is, as is typical for Nolan, all large scale - though it was there and it worked. He still can't really do (or didn't try here) small scale inter-personal emotion, so there is something lacking there. But for what it is trying to do, it's perfect.
  • Youthist 11 Aug 2017 23:57:46 12,734 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You need to check your opinion with Ersr. He had too critics agree with him and everything,
  • Technoishmatt 12 Aug 2017 05:54:16 1,821 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    John Wick 2

No real empathy with main character this time. Felt a bit bored for much of it. Good sound design / music though.

6/10
  • Mola_Ram 12 Aug 2017 06:25:08 15,649 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Japanese Girls Never Die

A Japanese feminist movie, which is not a combination I see very often. It has two interlocking stories, about two Japanese women in their 20s and the ways that society has limited their options in life: basically, the options are to either scrape by with a part-time job while living with your parents (or in poverty), or marry a rich man.

There's also side plots about graffiti artists using a "missing girl" poster for one of their stencils, and a gang of Japanese schoolgirls going around at night attacking unsuspecting males.

The satire is pretty heavy and unsubtle, but it won a lot of points from me for originality. Definitely worth a watch if you want something a little different.

8.2/10

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:25:27 12-08-2017
  • the_butcher066 12 Aug 2017 07:13:03 3 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 days ago
    The Counterfeiters

I'm a sucker for ww2 movies.It's a great movie about jewish prisoners making counterfeit dollars and pounds.The Nazis want to destroy
    the british and US economy with that money.That's the plot,more or less.
    I liked it.
    7,5/10

Edited by the_butcher066 at 07:13:21 12-08-2017
  • beastmaster 12 Aug 2017 10:07:23 17,049 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think this was mentioned a while back. What are the Lone Wolf and Cub films like?
  • Page

of 3541 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.