Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3487

• Page

of 3559 First / Last

• Kronos 14 May 2017 11:46:16 677 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @mal The predators all seemed a bit overweight and stodgy, like a bunch of over 50's playing paintball.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 May 2017 12:47:09 4,092 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There is that. I guess you can argue it's a team being sent to train/take part in a trial but they're a lot less graceful than Arnie or Danny Glover's opponents
  • spindle9988 14 May 2017 12:55:29 4,573 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guardians 2 7.5

I haven't read any of the comics so the 1st was just a nice surprise for me and I ended up loving it.
    The sequel is definitely a lot of fun and worth watching if you liked the 1st. It just loses a bit for already sort of knowing what to expect now.

I've got a limitless pass so I'm going to have to see alien this week (hated Prometheus)

A bit off topic but do any of you guys go to the cinema alone? I haven't​ tried it yet and was wondering what your opinions are.

Edited by spindle9988 at 12:56:05 14-05-2017
  • vDoll 14 May 2017 13:44:20 2,372 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's exactly like going with my wife, except without the yapping in my ear.

To be honest I haven't been on my own for years, but my neighbour has an unlimited pass and goes on her own all the time (her fella works offshore) and her only regret is that she's seen more crap movies than she should've.

In fact, I think more people should go on their own, give us all a little more arm room.

Edited by vDoll at 13:47:35 14-05-2017
  • richarddavies 14 May 2017 13:49:37 5,923 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have an unlimited pass and go alone quite regular. with work and kids etc I don't have much free time so it's just easier for me to go straight after I finish work. I don't mind it.
  • thelzdking 14 May 2017 13:51:35 6,113 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I often go on my own. My friends only go to comic book/reboot shovelware, so it's the only option if I want to watch other things. It makes no difference to me.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 14 May 2017 13:52:35 2,849 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been a couple of times on my own. I'd happily go on my own more. The problem these days is if I've got the time to the cinema, so has the wife so we go together. I've not been with mates to a cinema (apart from mutual friends) since......ID4!....sad. Very sad. I'd not think someone was sad or anything for going to the cinema on their own. Seen a few people doing and been jealous, tbh. Like someone else said, less yapping in your ear.
  • Baihu1983 14 May 2017 13:57:16 9,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    not been on my own but wouldn't have a problem doing it but I don't go to the cinema that often as I hate getting stuck near the people that don't move an inch or speak during the ads but start as soon as the film begins....
  • vDoll 14 May 2017 13:58:14 2,372 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:
    Seen a few people doing and been jealous, tbh.
    Yeah, if I had the time and more stuff on general release interested me, I'd pick up a pass and hit the movies on my lonesome as a preference.
  • spindle9988 14 May 2017 14:13:09 4,573 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm gonna break my cinema virginty this week.
  • beastmaster 14 May 2017 14:26:59 17,255 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (3d IMAX) - 9/10

Utterly superb sequel which, for me, is at least good as the original. It may even be better.

The film gets off to what I think is a brilliant start and just carries on from there. I like the way this film is much more character driven. They could have gone for more of the same but I found the film had a few darker moments and much more of an emotional punch than the first one.

I think the characters are great and they've gone and added a few more new ones into the mix. The mix between action, humour and tension is just about perfect. It's Drax who utterly steals the show for me. Just brilliantly funny throughout the entire film and he does get the best lines. It's great to see Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell back on the screen again. Tango & Cash 2 please!

I loved the Awesome Mix Vol. 2 soundtrack. For me, it's better than Vol. 1. The way it's integrated into the film is excellent.

There are about 5 credit sequences. I thought they were all pretty good. Didn't really know what was going on in a couple of them but it got a lot of people sat near me VERY excited.

I think this film is well with seeing at the cinema on the biggest screen you can possible find. IMAX if you can.
  • beastmaster 14 May 2017 14:33:38 17,255 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    A bit off topic but do any of you guys go to the cinema alone? I haven't​ tried it yet and was wondering what your opinions are.
    There are certain films I want to see which none of my friends have an interest in. Films like Moonlight, The Handmaiden, Mindhorn etc. Even when they do, it can be a pain to sort out due to family commitments etc.

I really don't mind doing it at all but that usually tends to be on a weekday night or early morning/afternoon during the weekends.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 May 2017 14:52:59 4,092 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:

Working two jobs means I'm not available when my friends are going to stuff and my partner isn't into sci-fi so I'll go alone if I really want to see it and it's my only opportunity. Usually ends up being weekday afternoons so it's pretty quiet even in the chav cinema to see blockbusters.

It's fine, you're sat in the dark not talking, so it's not like you'll be upsetting anyone
  • DanB24 14 May 2017 14:54:16 5,250 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd still feel like Billy no mates. :lol:
  • anephric 14 May 2017 22:26:33 2,680 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I go and watch a lot of old stuff at the local arts cinema on my tod, there's no fucker I know that would come with me. I don't inflict it on my missus since that time she fell asleep.
  • drhickman1983 14 May 2017 23:03:37 4,903 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I often go to the cinema by myself. I might have been a bit reluctant to go by myself in the past, but I find it hard to see why it should be considered odd. It's not like I'm going to be talking during the film anyway, and whilst it can be enjoyable talking about the film afterwards I actually like to have some time to think things over.
  • Load_2.0 14 May 2017 23:22:09 25,464 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I love going by myself. I've been in middle of the day and you often get only a handful of people and have had the cinema to myself on occasion.

No distractions you can just get to enjoy the film.
  • MrFlay 15 May 2017 00:17:03 3,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always go by myself. I've only had bad experiences going with other people. I have an Unlimited card but I live about an hour from the cinema so I'll go to two or three movies in one day sometimes. The bus ticket is nearly 20 return. I'm watching a lot more movies than I would otherwise. I can't imagine I could find many other people to go to three in one day.
  • mal 15 May 2017 01:57:51 28,109 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kronos wrote:
    @mal The predators all seemed a bit overweight and stodgy, like a bunch of over 50's playing paintball.
    That's true. Also, they made little to no effort to disguise that the aliens looked like men in rubber suits wearing hats, even though I guess they were mostly CGI. It's not like the old films where they knew that so disguised it all with slime and smoke and wonky camera angles.
  • Tonka 15 May 2017 06:42:39 26,038 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Watched Bone Tomahawk the other night. Christ that was brutal in parts! Brilliant western though, Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins and Mathew Fox were great.
    Watched it a while ago and thought it was a bit boring, not much happened.
    Yeah it's definitely a slow burner. But I loved just watching the four guys travel across the land, their bickering etc.
    Bone Tomahawk is a weird one.
    I personally really liked it. It kind of reminded me of Dog Soldiers with the whole realistic take on the supernatural. (It was aaages since I saw Dog Soldiers so it migh just be my vague memory of it being similar)

The way they portray the native americans was rather retro to say the least. All of Kevin Costners hard work undone over a single campfire. I guess they went for the "this is what people thought about them back then" angle. But as I said, I really enjoyed Bone Tomahawk for what it is.

Then I saw The Homesman and that fucked me up good and proper. Thank gods that Forsaken could restore my view of the wild west.
  • GarlVinland 15 May 2017 09:48:16 1,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I tell people under 30 that I go to the cinema alone, they laugh and find it odd. When I tell someone over 30, they agree it's much more pleasant and means you're not forced to watch whatever shit tween romcom/Statham actioner/Transformers sequel everyone else wants to see.

30 seems to be the cutoff point where it's no longer important to keep up the appearance of having friends. I much prefer it. Wouldn't have watched The Handmaiden otherwise.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 May 2017 10:11:38 38,553 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @GarlVinland I've always liked going to the cinema alone. It's alo an absolutely perfect thing to do on your own, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK THERE ANYWAY, YOU MUPPETS.
  • MrFlay 15 May 2017 10:28:44 3,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @GarlVinland I've always liked going to the cinema alone. It's alo an absolutely perfect thing to do on your own, YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO TALK THERE ANYWAY, YOU MUPPETS.
    Exactly. It's like reading a book. You can't make it a social experience. That said some movies are better when you watch them with an audience.
  • ModoX 16 May 2017 22:58:22 2,726 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I fully support you all going to the cinema on your own, and would likely never do it myself! It's social for me, usually with a meal/drinks before or after. Basically I think I'm saying this is why I got married 😀

Anyway, finally got a chance to see La La Land - 9/10!

Loved it, I know many people soured on it a little as time went on so maybe that score will drop, but directly after finishing it I feel really high on it. Though I'd still watch Sing Street first.

Gosling and Stone are adorable, almost as much as Deschanel and Levitt. Whiplash is also one of my favourite ever films, so I like Chazelle. That ending is fantastic too, he really knows how to write a finish.

Probably important to note I generally can't stand musicals as a rule of thumb, same for my missus and she enjoyed it too. They don't just sing what is happening which really helps, each song is just it's own little performance and also a tone setter, which works great for me.
  • MrFlay 16 May 2017 23:11:32 3,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That Guy Ritchie King Arthur movie is bombing at the box office and is getting hammered by critics. Still going. Got to use my unlimited card.
  • Mola_Ram 17 May 2017 00:10:39 15,948 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd go to King Arthur just to laugh it up about moistened bints lobbing scimitars etc., but I'm not sure it's worth it even for that.
  • Page

of 3559 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.