Boardgames anyone? Page 254

• Page

of 256 First / Last

• Gregolution 8 Jan 2018 15:58:58 8,693 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    wouldnt' buying into dnd be easier and cheaper? :D
    lol. Dnd is too much fluff for me. I like cold hard rules, not up to players imagination.

Gloomhaven would be the total opposite end of the scale to dnd really. It's a euro take on classic fantasy.

You're not wrong about less setup and price though! Massive difference.
  • BearFishPie 8 Jan 2018 16:22:26 467 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cosmical Probably, yes! But Gloomhaven doesn't need a DM, meaning Mrs. Pie and myself can play co-op, and the puzzly combat is unlike anything else I've played.
  • Cosmical 8 Jan 2018 16:24:16 288 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Games like Gloomhaven are going to reach a point where the next question is how to create your own content. That's what DnD is better at (at least nominally). ON the other hand, writing adventures for tabletop rpg's is not something that tabletop rpg's (IMO) are ever very good at teaching or setting out. So a game like Gloomhaven can just give you a sheet saying put these tiles together, put these monsters here, now go and complete that objective.

And yet, aas far as i can remember, tabletop rpg's that have tried to merge boardgame elements have not really succeeded in cracking the tabletop rpg market. If gloomhaven were marketed as an rpg i wonder how well it would be received?
  • Cosmical 8 Jan 2018 16:24:50 288 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @Cosmical Probably, yes! But Gloomhaven doesn't need a DM, meaning Mrs. Pie and myself can play co-op, and the puzzly combat is unlike anything else I've played.
    That is true, but it isn't the case for all games in that genre.
  • Tonka 8 Jan 2018 16:28:26 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BearFishPie I thought the puzzly combat was ruined by playing with others.

Turned into a funny chaos that I enjoyed but, as I said earlier, I can't help but think about how great it would be of I soloed two characters.
  • BearFishPie 8 Jan 2018 16:49:05 467 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka I've only played 2p, with a fair bit of chit-chat about tactics, so any chaotic breakdown tends to come from either the AI monster deck or my gross stupidity in planning my moves. I do agree it's likely to be a highly satisfying solo puzzlefest though.
  • Gregolution 8 Jan 2018 16:59:22 8,693 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I desperately need this game to ship. WHY DO I NOT HAVE IT
  • BearFishPie 8 Jan 2018 17:23:38 467 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cosmical I'm aware D&D (and other RPG systems) offer greater flexibility and the potential for drama than any dungeon crawling tabletop game is ever likely to offer. That said, as someone who's never tried it, it looks intimidating to get to grips with, presumably requiring a lot of mental overhead from the DM. I'm also assuming 1 player Vs a DM would make for a tedious game.

Gloomhaven is a quite unusual beast, given the combination of miniature hex grid skirmish/light choose-your-own-adventure plotting and euro-y card driven combat and enemy AI. It certainly costs a lot up front, but has a lot of (apparently consistently fun) unique stuff to do and discover and does most of the heavy lifting for you.

I've not experienced any other dungeon crawler tabletop games barring Hero Quest in the 80s, so can't say with any authority how they stack up. I'd guess it's always going to be variety, flexibility and cost Vs convenience and low-effort play when comparing a proper RPG with the tabletop equivalent.
  • Flexible_Feline 8 Jan 2018 18:04:16 47 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mumtoucher wrote:
    @Flexible_Feline 4 players, 2 scenarios and a visit to gloomhaven in between where we all levelled up, levelling up can take ages with AP affecting what cards to choose and swap out in your hand. 6hours sounds a lot - that's also including unpacking and repacking the box. You have to be organised with packing it away especially. I find initial setup can be very lengthy too.
    Cheers. I'll have everything set up and ready to go, though with new players there will need to be some explaining (they are fairly seasoned mind). I'm optimistically hoping we can manage one in 2-3; any more and it'll be a harder sell next time (depending on how much they get into it, of course).

Like others I've got somewhere with organising the components, though it's not quite optimal - two Plano boxes for standees, overlays and tokens; cards in different bags; tiles loose. It /just about/ fits (though I have to stand the manuals and board separately on a shelf now) - nowhere near as elegant as the this storage solution from BGG, but it certainly helps a lot with set-up and putting everything away.
  • Tonka 8 Jan 2018 20:06:23 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It took my group "The Swedish Sloths" (Great Western Trail took us seven hours. For one game.) four hours to play the first scenario. But that included a lot of rule checking and charter naming etc.

Next time should be quicker.
  • Flexible_Feline 8 Jan 2018 20:54:45 47 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, I’m a bit fearful of the increased number of monsters (incl. Elites) that we’ll need to deal with, compared to two of us playing as before (which somehow felt just right). We shall see how it goes...
  • Cosmical 8 Jan 2018 22:53:32 288 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    anyone play conan?
  • Gregolution 8 Jan 2018 23:35:56 8,693 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BearFishPie

It's not that intimidating rules wise. It's more acting and imagination. I prefer stricter game systems. Maps with grids where you definitively know where you are and where you can get to.

People say RPGs are more flexibile. Really, they're just more loose.
  • mumtoucher 9 Jan 2018 08:36:59 508 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cosmical I have played Conan, I found the gem system interesting but essentially it's a dice throwing tactical wargame with DM, there's no carry on from each game to the next and no real progression regarding characters.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2018 08:38:59 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Conan was born perfect. How could he possibly improve?
  • mumtoucher 9 Jan 2018 09:36:54 508 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tonka hahahah good point!
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2018 18:36:31 8,693 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been reading the most anticipated games of 2018 on BGG. I didn't realise Robinson Crusoe is getting an expansion :) I'd better learn how to play this game!

I voted for City of Kings though.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2018 18:50:38 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Do you have a link to the list in question?
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2018 18:58:38 8,693 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/235922/20-most-anticipated-board-games-2018-final-voting
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2018 18:59:04 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers!
  • FWB 9 Jan 2018 22:04:41 54,211 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Check out the glorious "board" for U-Boot! No idea what it entails, but me likes.

http://www.uboottheboardgame.com/gallery-5.html

Edited by FWB at 22:06:06 09-01-2018
  • Bleh 10 Jan 2018 06:55:32 281 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Check out the glorious "board" for U-Boot! No idea what it entails, but me likes.

http://www.uboottheboardgame.com/gallery-5.html
    Kickstarter should start on 22-01.

Preview link:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/phalanxgames/826770165?ref=amdknm&token=7c8a9f98
  • Cosmical 10 Jan 2018 08:51:15 288 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rise of Moloch for me, though mainly beccause of the theme. The gameplay doesn't seem terribly unique
  • Tonka 10 Jan 2018 15:21:08 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does anyone here know where I can find out if my oldish MTG box is worth anything?

This one

http://www.wizards.com/magic/expert/battle_royale/welcome.asp
  • rice_sandwich 10 Jan 2018 15:28:36 3,592 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

Seems about Ł80-100 for new/sealed on eBay. Of course that doesn't mean anyone is paying that.
  • Tonka 10 Jan 2018 17:22:26 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich surely there must be some database somewhere.

It's not sealed but it is barely used at all. Bought it for some university project but never got into playing.

Oh well.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2018 07:41:08 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had some time to kill yesterday so I went into a local game store and had a chat.

Spotted Ghost Stories 👻⛩️ on the shelf btw. Seems to be back in print. I remember trying to find out about a year ago with no success.

Anyway, the discussion turned to online shopping, since this store had just recently started a web site. He wasn't too happy about it. "I don't want a job where I'm packing boxes all day, but I'm aware that this is where things are headed"

He also said that local game stores have played an important role in the surge in popularity that boardgames are seeing. Talking to customers and arranging game nights etc.

I said a lot of that is happening on YouTube nowadays but he worried that once the core, ie lfgs disappear the edges will start dying.

It was a good talk. I ended up not buying anything but a dad walked in with his 10yo (I'm guessing) and bought Carcassonne plus an expansion during our exchange.

Kid had the biggest crib on his face.
  • rice_sandwich 11 Jan 2018 07:50:12 3,592 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My local game store spends most of its time packing boxes for online sales. Almost bought Nusfjord yesterday but decided to wait in case I get it for my birthday.
  • Tonka 11 Jan 2018 08:21:47 26,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He agreed that they have no choice. I think he was just against the idea of closing up the central location and move to a warehouse in the industrial area of town.

I found his argument that physical friendly stores are part of the reason boardgaming is at the point where it's at and I wonder if he isn't right about what could happen if they all close up. Or maybe YouTube has reached a tipping point where average Jills and Joes will stumble upon a clip of someone playing Game X and then get hooked.
  • disusedgenius 11 Jan 2018 08:26:23 8,854 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most shops in London keep both - a front end store for encouraging play and a warehouse outside of London for storing stock and fulfilling online orders. It seems to me that online competition is just too fierce to only do that side of things, you need the customer outreach as well (i.e. Magic and Pokémon players...).

But that's as much to do with store business I think. Even the store itself should probably be geared as much towards table space and cafe service as it is stock for purchase.
  • Page

of 256 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.