Boardgames anyone? Page 250

• Page

of 257 First / Last

• alt-cmd-esc 31 Dec 2017 16:31:02 227 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last day of game purchasing for me (am I really going to manage this?), so I thought Iíd better order something ;) found a copy of Mombasa online for less than 20 quid, so thatís my last treat of the year. Hope itís as good as it is hyped up to be!

Happy 2018, all. May your cards/dice/workers be fruitful and your boards be bountiful.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 31 Dec 2017 17:04:50 30,881 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I think the Pathfinder card games are quite cool. Will likely grab Apocrypha whenever it release.
  • Gregolution 31 Dec 2017 17:41:26 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @alt-cmd-esc

20 quid! Need.
  • alt-cmd-esc 1 Jan 2018 10:20:40 227 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Gregolution 2nd hand, so I wonít get the pleasure of punching the tokens etc., but it seemed too good to miss at that price. Spotted it thanks to boardgameprices.co.uk
  • ZuluHero 1 Jan 2018 10:51:52 6,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Hive is great, itís like chess with bugs! 😁
    Iíd definitely recommend getting the lady bug and mozzie add ons if you havenít already.
    We only have the base set at the moment, but will look to expand it, it's such a lovely simple game, in terms of pieces, but quite strategic. My daughter loves bees too which was a huge plus for the game.

Will look at the pieces you suggested :)
  • Gregolution 1 Jan 2018 14:38:50 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We love Onitama for a simple strategy chess like game :)
  • Tonka 1 Jan 2018 20:45:05 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hohoho

My plan to not buy any new stuff on 2018 just went straight down the drain

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/scythe-the-rise-of-fenris/

Will it require the other two expansions? I have no interest in the other two expansions.

That one 👆though... Mighty tempting.
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2018 20:47:41 3,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I got a 20% off ebay voucher so ended up buying Rajas of the Ganges for about £30.
  • Gregolution 1 Jan 2018 21:18:52 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Was this on the 28th or so? I missed this. My app told me about it when it expired. Would have got Gaia Project :(
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2018 21:21:11 3,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Gregolution

Yeah, that's right. They do offers quite often it seems so you might be lucky next time.
  • Gregolution 1 Jan 2018 21:22:17 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Hohoho

My plan to not buy any new stuff on 2018 just went straight down the drain

https://stonemaiergames.com/games/scythe/scythe-the-rise-of-fenris/

Will it require the other two expansions? I have no interest in the other two expansions.

That one 👆though... Mighty tempting.
    I feel the opposite unfortunately. Was really looking forward to the announcement but a story campaign legacy thing is not what I'm looking for. I was hoping for new strategy options like have been offered in the wind gambit.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 07:59:51 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You can use the new stuff without playing through the scenarios. So if I'm not mistaken it will be jam packed with what you're looking for.

I also found out that there's no need for the other two expansions. My new worry is that it will all be silly stuff like the traps from the Invaders from Afar expansion. I do think the new Resolutions cards from The Wind Gambit sound more interesting than any of the other stuff in the expansions. So I'm hoping for more of that kind of thing.

Plus campaign mode is cool. Not out until late in the year. Might make it my new years resolution for 2019 to finish the campaign
  • Gregolution 2 Jan 2018 09:00:00 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

He's said these modules will be most similar to the resolutions in the wind gambit. So probably variable end game conditions and weird starts as well.

I like the resolutions but they're not as game affecting as the airships which were well worth the money. Changes the start of the game from being a bit slow to quite dynamic.

I'll wait and see on this. Can't help but feel disappointed. But then again I've spend enough on scythe and I like it more than ever since I've used wind gambit :)
  • rice_sandwich 2 Jan 2018 09:04:35 3,595 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My first game played in 2018 was Istanbul. Played and won three 2p games so far. It's quick and easy to play but offers some decent decisions. The variable board layout mixes things up quite a bit. In the last game a tile that lets you roll dice to gamble for gold was blocked by 2 merchants (so pay 4 gold) and thus effectively locked out of the game. It had been a good go to location in the previous two games. Probably better in 3 or 4 due to the pay to use an already occupied location mechanic but still good in 2p. I'm going to try to play 10 times before adding in the expansions.
  • Gregolution 2 Jan 2018 09:10:04 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good idea re expansions. That's what I tend to do as well. Ten plays is a good cut off.
  • BearFishPie 2 Jan 2018 09:16:30 467 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We probably had about that number of plays of Viticulture before breaking out the Tuscany expansion. I don't think I'd have appreciated the changes the expansion represents without that initial vanilla experience.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 09:33:59 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've yet to buy an expansion for a game. Well, actually, I do have the Shadowrun Crossfire expansion but I han't opened it yet.

The Rise of Fenris might be the one for me.

@Gregolution You sound like you enjoy the Wind Gambit quite a bit. Do you also have Invaders from Afar? What's your thoughts?
  • Gregolution 2 Jan 2018 09:40:02 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Invaders is ok to add a couple more factions but nothing special. Easily skipped.

Wind gambit is a must buy imo.
  • BearFishPie 2 Jan 2018 10:15:46 467 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've still not managed to get Scythe to the table. Mrs. Pie finds the slight military theming to be a bit off putting, though is aware it's far from a war game. One day...

Both Wind Gambit and this new expansion sound intriguing, though will obviously have to wait until we've given the core game a fair shake.
  • Cosmical 2 Jan 2018 11:44:43 288 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    has anyone played Folklore the Affliction?

I love a good dungeon crawl (even though they require a second mortgage to afford these days)
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2018 11:51:41 16,881 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like the new factions in Invaders from Afar. But you don't want to use them with new players, because they're very much not for beginners.

As far as the "military" theme goes... there's barely any fighting in the game. The Germans are the only faction that gets continued benefits from fighting - the rest don't benefit much from winning more than two combats.
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 12:09:49 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Seems like some of the new things in Fenris will up the combat in Scythe
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1911101/fenris-rising

I also read some guy on BGG who just laughed at people saying Scythe didn't have much combat. Him and his group were super competitive and constantly killing each other. I think its down to the players.

The games I've had have all ended with the person controlling the most land being the winner so I can see why combat would matter. (Well, I guess you can also just stomp around and scare the bejuusurs out of farmers)
  • Gregolution 2 Jan 2018 12:24:10 8,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sticking to my plans and only getting eclipse 2nd edition and Gaia Project this year.

It's the 2nd of Jan and willpower solid! /Proud
  • Tonka 2 Jan 2018 13:09:50 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After the last game of The Gallerist I've been watching some Vinhos Deluxe videos. But to be honest, all I need is more opportunities to play The Gallerist.

I want to fry my brain again.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2018 13:17:52 16,881 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The games I've had have all ended with the person controlling the most land being the winner so I can see why combat would matter. (Well, I guess you can also just stomp around and scare the bejuusurs out of farmers)
    Well, if you're putting your workers around the place (as you should do), then people won't be able to remove them without sacrificing popularity. And that's potentially worth quite a lot of points in the final tally. Though I guess you wouldn't care if you're at rock bottom popularity anyway.

It *can* still be beneficial to win combats after you've placed both your combat stars. But generally it's not worth it unless you get something significant for it (like control over a bunch of resources or something).

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:21:54 02-01-2018
  • DevilsKebab 3 Jan 2018 11:59:26 704 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone here going to give the 10 x 10 challenge a try?
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2018 12:12:50 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    What's that then?
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 12:15:42 31,681 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's easy. It's 100. 10 x 10 is 100.

It's actually play 10 games 10 times each. I probably won't, as I end up feeling forced (by myself) to play stuff, and that's a great way to kill my own interest in a game. I'll play what I fancy and leave it at that :)

I went for my first Kickstarter game on the 31st December (not just because it won't count as a 2018 purhcase, obviously). It's called Dice Wars: Heroes of Polyhedra, which I bought mostly because it has a fairly simply ruleset, meaning it'll be easy to learn and play between other games. I'm also a big fan of rolling dice, except in this it's the dice that dictates your army composition. You won't get better or worse units, just different ones which will force you to try out new strategies.

Not the deepest game in the world, but as I say I do like a relatively simple game in between more involved stuff. Also the dice are so lovely!

Edited by DFawkes at 12:16:23 03-01-2018
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2018 12:21:28 26,893 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Where is this challenge from? Am I supposed to do that in a year == unpossable for me.

I will try to play my games more often in 2018. Haven't played Scythe in a while, and reading about the new expansion made me miss it. Still haven't played Chinatown with my group.

Wish they could all learn The Gallerist...

Looked at Rahdos list of upcoming games and realised that there's a new Vital Lacerda game coming out this year. Well, it might be on Kickstarter this year.

Plus I managed to fix my dishwasher last night so I figure I deserve to treat myself to a game and I'm still thinking about Millennium Blades and it's available at the local game store.

Bit bored at work... incase you didn't notice
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 12:41:58 31,681 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the idea of the challenge is sound. There are a lot of games that really need a few plays before you're comfortable with the rules, so you might miss something if you try it once without seeing how it feels a second time. Also, it can be tempting to jump from game to game instead of sticking with something, even if you like a given game.

10 times is too much though. If you love a game, you'll play it often anyway. If you don't enjoy it within about 3 games, 10 will feel like a right slog.
  • Page

of 257 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.