Boardgames anyone? Page 249

  • Page

    of 259 First / Last

  • LittleSparra 30 Dec 2017 16:58:05 7,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aye, surely one can create a story without making things literally redundant? It isn't like you'd play the story and cheat your way out just because you didn't tear a card up, is it?
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 17:00:52 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    As I say, y'all don't get it because I presume you haven't watched any reviews. It isn't just about tearing cards up, the board itself evolves in interesting ways. And that's already probably too spoilery.

    It isn't just the base Legacy game but every ten minutes you tear up a card, for fuck's sake. How about you credit the makers with some brains and just accept it works, and it makes sense.

    It must do. Because I played it to the end, it's now useless, and I fucking loved every moment of it. And it wouldn't. Be. The. Same. Without the permanence. It's a different thing.

    Not for you? No problem. But you knowest not of what thy speakest when though sayeth "surely one can create a story without making things literally redundant" because you couldn't create THIS story, and THIS experience without it.
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 17:04:11 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And I'd further challenge anyone to say they've played as many as 18 games of vanilla Pandemic. It's good, but it's not that good. :)

    So yeah, all the wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth at the waste of it all should probably redirect itself to the largely unplayed stacks of games we all probably have!
  • rice_sandwich 30 Dec 2017 17:06:21 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Phattso

    I've definitely played more than 18 games of Pandemic although we do normally use some of the stuff from the expansions, so it's not quite vanilla setup.
  • LittleSparra 30 Dec 2017 17:08:22 7,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Alright phattso, no need to be so bleeding passive aggressive about it. As it happens I like the concept, but that doesn't mean I think alternatives aren't worth thinking about.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Dec 2017 17:22:43 7,080 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think he was being passive at all to be honest.
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 17:45:11 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh, wasn't intending to be aggressive at all! Just couldn't quite fathom the fixation on ripping cards up as though that were the only thing one did in Legacy was all. Exasperated perhaps. I thought, by this point, we all knew the deal with the Legacy thangs.

    The "alternative" to the destructive elements of Pandemic Legacy, Sparra, would be a game that would take aaaaages to setup and require you to take multiple photographs of the end of play on the previous game. I'll take wastage for the added convenience every time - excessive setup times are probably the major reason for some of my most beloved games not getting any table time.

    But yeah, obviously if re-playability UNTIL THE END OF TIME is imperative, then this is the wrong sort of game for you. ;)
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 17:46:47 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @Phattso

    I've definitely played more than 18 games of Pandemic although we do normally use some of the stuff from the expansions, so it's not quite vanilla setup.
    Aye, including addons I'm sure I've done more as well. But that's £40 for the base game, then what £20 for each of three addons? Yeah - at £100 I might expect re-playability and re-saleability. I think that's why I bounced so hard off the notion of Pandemic Legacy Season 2: the better part of £80 gave me a moment of pause, whereas £40-50 is probably my sweet spot for a game where I have to tear shit up. :)
  • Gregolution 30 Dec 2017 19:19:00 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've decided to give up on pandemic legacy so I'm going to throw it in the bin before I've even got to December.

    Muhaha!
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 19:20:14 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heh. By the end we did sort of just want it to go away. :)
  • Gregolution 30 Dec 2017 19:26:08 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've got to September and I appreciate the design of the game but it's not our favourite and has become a bit of a slog.

    Also , sometimes you can play perfectly but still fail which winds my wife up no end.
    Doesn't bother me quite so much , I like that it's often balanced on a knifes edge - way better than being too easy.

    However.. having discover she loves Terra Mystica (zero RNG ) wed prefer to play that every time.

    Also means we can finally start the Dunwich campaign for arkham horror :).

    Edited by Gregolution at 19:27:38 30-12-2017
  • Phattso 30 Dec 2017 19:28:03 22,297 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah. The one unavoidable thing it keeps from vanilla Pandemic is that a nasty shuffle can make defeat inevitable before you even start playing.

    That said... some amazing things happen in the final third of the game. :)
  • Gregolution 30 Dec 2017 19:30:38 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone played Gaia Project? Seems a lot better for 2 player versus terra mystica but not quite as cutthroat.
  • Cosmical 30 Dec 2017 19:37:06 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    all i said was this piece of halibut was good enough for jehovah
  • rice_sandwich 30 Dec 2017 20:30:12 3,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Phattso

    True enough. I think I paid about £45 for Pandemic base game and the On The Brink expansion. I bought it years ago. It's the one we've used most of all, so it's worked out very good value on a per game basis. But I do get your point.
  • BearFishPie 30 Dec 2017 23:25:03 468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gregolution I hope you get as much fun from Dunwich as we have - there are some superb mechanics-reflect-the-plot scenarios in there, particularly in the Mythos Packs.

    On Pandemic Legacy, we beat the game in 13 plays and loved the way each month changed the focus of the game, though we possibly took the edge off by making some smart decisions and performing well in the early months.
  • ZuluHero 31 Dec 2017 00:51:58 6,117 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My brother got my daughter a game called Hive for Christmas:

    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2655/hive

    Which we played a few times tonight, really easy to play but surprisingly strategic. My daughter really enjoyed it and I lost quite a few times without trying! Pieces are really nice and quite simple in a nice little bag.
  • danathjo 31 Dec 2017 04:55:17 8,040 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hive is great, it’s like chess with bugs! 😁
    I’d definitely recommend getting the lady bug and mozzie add ons if you haven’t already.
  • AaronTurner 31 Dec 2017 08:14:22 9,589 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hive is brilliant, I used it as a gateway for my girlfriend to get into boardgames because I knew she liked chess. She now loves games as complex as the Game of Thrones LCG which is pretty great. Can't get her into co-op games though which is a shame.
  • AaronTurner 31 Dec 2017 08:15:36 9,589 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @Gregolution I hope you get as much fun from Dunwich as we have - there are some superb mechanics-reflect-the-plot scenarios in there, particularly in the Mythos Packs.

    On Pandemic Legacy, we beat the game in 13 plays and loved the way each month changed the focus of the game, though we possibly took the edge off by making some smart decisions and performing well in the early months.
    Have you guys found the final Mythos pack anywhere in Europe? Was it even released here?
  • Cosmical 31 Dec 2017 08:48:38 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    What do peeps think of the Pathfinder card game, or the new one with the same engine called apocrypha?
  • BearFishPie 31 Dec 2017 09:07:20 468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner yes, I pre-ordered it. Not sure of its current availability but a good place to check is boardgameprices.co.uk.
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 09:36:48 26,929 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was about to join the "not going to buy any more games in 2018" movement, but then I listened to SU&SD swoon over Sidereal Confluence in their podcast.

    Hmmmm....

    I do feel that I'm the victim of wanting to buy games just because they're nice items and I enjoy the unboxing, token popping, bagging and reboxing ritual.
  • Tonka 31 Dec 2017 09:39:44 26,929 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    What do peeps think of the Pathfinder card game, or the new one with the same engine called apocrypha?
    I remember almost buying Pathfinder when I was on the hunt for a deckbuilder. Iirc it had done great reviews but I went for Shadowrun bc Rahdo.
  • Gregolution 31 Dec 2017 10:35:54 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @AaronTurner

    After a test run of arkham on holiday with my wife and being surprised she loved it, I ended up ordering everything for arkham they'd produced. I remember having real issues with some of the mythos packs for dunwich and ended up getting a couple from Amazon US.

    If they support Amazon global shipping you get a full breakdown of the price and it wasn't that bad even with shipping from America. Most I paid was about 15 quid per pack.
  • Gregolution 31 Dec 2017 10:37:10 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

    I do feel that I'm the victim of wanting to buy games just because they're nice items and I enjoy the unboxing, token popping, bagging and reboxing ritual.
    I can relate
  • AaronTurner 31 Dec 2017 12:39:23 9,589 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    What do peeps think of the Pathfinder card game, or the new one with the same engine called apocrypha?
    I have the original. Initially I thought it was fun but then, for me, I felt that there was a lack of choices and strategy. The box is massive and takes up a lot of room. Loads of cards that are ugly and not uninspired. Annoy having to sift through them all.

    I wouldn't recommend it now.
  • boo 31 Dec 2017 13:07:31 13,406 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Tonka wrote:

    I do feel that I'm the victim of wanting to buy games just because they're nice items and I enjoy the unboxing, token popping, bagging and reboxing ritual.
    I can relate
    Yeah, got the membership card for that club!
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 31 Dec 2017 13:49:54 31,689 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:
    What do peeps think of the Pathfinder card game, or the new one with the same engine called apocrypha?
    I really enjoy Pathfinder. It does sometimes royally screw you if you get the wrong cards or dice rolls, but generally I felt that I had enough choice that I always had a chance if I played the right stuff at the right time. I also like the feeling of progression as your deck gets a bit more powerful as you play.
  • Gregolution 31 Dec 2017 16:09:08 8,718 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd recommend Aeon's end or Dragonfire over Pathfinder.
  • Page

    of 259 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.