Boardgames anyone? Page 223

• Page

of 236 First / Last

• rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 07:52:02 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

It is a good game for sure but it's not amazing and doesn't add anything particularly new to the wp genre. The box really is annoying. Just saying....

There's a new Concordia map coming out too ☺
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 08:28:19 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I like that you're trying to talk me out of it. Not sure if it's working just yet...

I should try and fall in love with Photosythesis instead. That I could probably play with my wife and kids.

Edited by Tonka at 08:29:24 12-09-2017
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 08:40:53 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The sensible (but boring) thing to do is look at your collection (and friends' collections) to see how you're covered for various genres, themes, and game weights.

Also look at what you actually play and the tolerance of your fellow gamers for learning rules. And then there's how much time you have to play. Would you rather play two or three 45 minute mid weight games or one heavy two hour game?

On the plus side for The Gallerist, it's very elegant and each individual action is simple in itself. There are a couple of fiddly rules but it makes sense in general. Very nice components with high production values. Order away!
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 09:25:30 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh no nononon. Don't stop the out-talking of me now.

Good point about maybe trying to find some shorter mid weight games. Any recommendations for games with loads of player interaction and preferably tons of dice rolling?

Maybe Cosmic encounters. Although I'm not a fan of Fantasy Flight games after playing Mansion of Madness 2nd edition.
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 09:41:17 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Tonka

Stefan Feld games usually use dice in clever ways but aren't always heavy on interaction. I recommend Amerigo due to its cube tower. It's a really fun and very scalable game (big box though).

I've heard good things about Sagrada and La Granja the Dice Game. Grand Austria Hotel is a fantastic 2 player game with good use of dice but has issues with down time and a weird turn order in the 3/4p game.
  • BearFishPie 12 Sep 2017 09:44:26 427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We managed to get Concordia to the table this weekend, and it's excellent. The card driven gameplay is almost Love Letter-elegant, and the end game scoring system is so oblique we had no idea who would prevail. That said, I completely screwed up the rules for building, meaning we burned through our stash of houses in next to no time. It'll be a very different game next time!
  • jimnastics 12 Sep 2017 09:45:59 1,104 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    Does anyone remember a board game from the early 90's, along the lines of Hero Quest, where you had to collect a sword (or swords) along the way and, at the end, put the sword(s) in a little device, and a red gem came out? I think that must have been the end-game, first to get the red gem. I used to play it a lot with my brother back then, but can't for the life of me remember anything else about it, and google is throwing up nowt.
    Still haven't remembered what this was...
  • BearFishPie 12 Sep 2017 09:47:38 427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka It strikes me that Fuse might be a good filler game to deliver on some of what you're after - though it's a high stress real-time thing. I've been watching a couple of videos and it looks terrific throwaway fun.
  • drhickman1983 12 Sep 2017 09:50:54 4,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Good point about maybe trying to find some shorter mid weight games. Any recommendations for games with loads of player interaction and preferably tons of dice rolling?

Quantum maybe?

Space combat with zone capture, but the ships are made of dice, each value results in a different class of ship, and combat is resolved via dice roles. Not normally lengthy, though it can, rarely, drag on a bit of you reach a stalemate.

One of my favourite games.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 09:52:47 12-09-2017
  • alt-cmd-esc 12 Sep 2017 09:51:26 207 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My copy of the 7th Continent just arrived \o/
  • rice_sandwich 12 Sep 2017 09:53:12 3,229 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @BearFishPie

Get the Salsa expansion if you can. It really mixes things up. The extra maps are well worth it as well.
  • drhickman1983 12 Sep 2017 09:57:18 4,987 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also, we played Time of Crisis again.

It's a brilliant game. On the weightier and lengthier side of things, but it's amazing. Having this strategy and war game with dice rolling to resolve battles and votes means that whilst you can stack the odds in your favor, nothing is ever certain. There appears to be several routes to victory too.

The dice rolling does make me think of Lords of Vegas.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 10:04:52 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BearFishPie Thanks for the reminder. I saw some reviews of it months ago and it does indeed look like a lot of fun. Completely forgot about it until now.
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2017 10:21:32 8,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    My copy of the 7th Continent just arrived \o/
    Oh wow. Let us know what it's like. How big is the box?? Mammoth innit?
  • BearFishPie 12 Sep 2017 11:52:20 427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I'll keep an eye out for it - we're still very much learning the ropes at the moment so can probably leave it for now, but it does sound like it changes up the game a lot.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 13:09:07 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BearFishPie what rule did you screw up? In my first game we all had plenty of buildings left when I bought the final card.

I agree about the scoring being completely opaque and I loved it. One guy in my group is a master of fucking things up for the current leader rather than doing what's best for himself.

He came in third this time.

Edited by Tonka at 13:09:32 12-09-2017
  • alt-cmd-esc 12 Sep 2017 13:09:48 207 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Gregolution The box is quite big in terms of depth, but minimal in design. Not had a chance to look at the cards yet, tempting as it is (work is getting in the way!). The minis are super mini, so am not sure I have the eyes to paint anything that small these days, but I might give it a go.

My regular gaming buddy has moved to the US, so I'm looking forward to having a meaty solo game to play - been largely playing (and losing) the solo variant of Terraforming Mars for my recent cardboard fix - I love TM, but it is way better with other players.
  • BearFishPie 12 Sep 2017 13:39:11 427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka Oh, I skim read the rules about building, and assumed you could pay resources OR money rather than both, meaning building an empire cost peanuts!
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 13:59:32 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @jimnastics Try this thread maybe

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/328014
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2017 14:03:42 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @BearFishPie One thing I adored was how the rules are basically two A4 sheets. With illustrations and examples.

Whenever there was a question I could find the answer in no time. I still managed to botch the point counting by just assuming you didn't get anything for wares in the warehouse...
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2017 19:08:01 8,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to find some London board game mates asap. Anyone ever gone to one of these meetups like London on Board?
  • Metalfish 12 Sep 2017 19:41:11 9,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Er, I recently had a slightly unfortunate date with a lass who said she went to something like that in Stoke Newington. She said it was fun. But she was a strategy gamer -it never would have worked out.

I've always been a bit cowardly to turn up by myself. You thinking the same thing as me, Greg?

Suicide pact, right?
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2017 19:52:40 8,564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    you let a strategy gaming girl go!? Mate.... mistake mistake. Can I have her number?
  • dazcox5181 13 Sep 2017 20:52:55 606 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So... picked up a copy of Descent 2nd edition off BoardGameGeek market,
    Seller said the insert was gone, but not fussed about that.
    Just went to play, having only had a quick look at it so far, and found all the larger set of cards are missing.

Iíve mailed them but no reply, paid using PayPal but as a f&f payment, so Iím stuffed there.

Anyone know liklihood of FFG being able to sell me a replacement set??
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2017 21:08:50 83,747 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The x
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2017 21:10:13 83,747 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The tkkkhz
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2017 21:13:06 83,747 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The :55:5:2
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2017 05:57:34 26,479 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We're here for you Dougs
  • DevilsKebab 14 Sep 2017 09:31:10 690 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution I've been along to two.
    The first one, near Holbourn, I was running late and got there an hour after it had started, I walked in and everyone was fully engrossed in their games and did not really want to communicate with me.
    So as a lone person attending this very busy night, it felt kinda unfriendly, it would have been better if one of the organsiers had also acted as a greeter, especially as I had RSVPed and said I was a newbie.

I then went to another near Paddington, much smaller and quieter, very friendly and was quickly asked if I wanted to jump into a game of 7 Wonders. Had a much better night
  • Dougs 14 Sep 2017 12:02:55 83,747 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hurrah for pocket posts!
  • Page

of 236 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.