Boardgames anyone? Page 107

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• phAge 22 Mar 2014 14:22:09 24,447 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @brn Lucky!

Where I live theres maybe 7-8 active players and, while friendly, they are all seriously pro veterans which I'll never be able to compete with. Game seems uber cool, tho. :(
  • brn 22 Mar 2014 16:56:36 232 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @phAge i tried OCTGN ( http://www.octgn.net ) the other day, which is a online board game platform. i guess it's sort of a gray-area copyright-wise but most people who play actually own the game. anyway, you should try it if you want to play but don't have buddies. the guy i played with was a newbie as well.

Edited by brn at 16:57:43 22-03-2014
  • Tomo 23 Mar 2014 11:33:48 13,998 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played Letters from Whitechapel twice yesterday. My, my it is *amazing*! I wish I'd bought it ages ago now.

Sadly I failed as Jack, then lost as the police. The final night was nerve-shredding. I set up a perimeter around where I thought Jack's hideout was, but somehow he slipped through. Turned out I arrested the circle next to the one he was in. I was absolutely gutted :/
  • faux-C 23 Mar 2014 12:03:21 9,654 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played a few boardgames last night with some non-boargamers.

Started with Love Letter - to begin with they were very skeptical, but it took about 3 hands before they all had *that* moment where they saw how all the pieces fit together and the interactions between the cards worked. From then on it was great fun.

Also had a round of King of Tokyo, which confirmed my earlier suspicion that it's really overrated. The interaction between players is really weak. Unless everyone is totally buying in to the theme straight away, the mechanics are nowhere near enough to interest people.
  • brn 23 Mar 2014 16:21:15 232 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreee on King of Tokyo! The dice are nice and meaty though.

What would you guys say is the closest real life game to Hearthstone? It's great for short bursts and so easy to "get"...
  • LeoliansBro 27 Mar 2014 08:56:24 44,966 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, first proper games of STAW last night. Very good fun, enjoyed my mate playing as Klingon managing to crash into a planet... Initial thoughts.

- Far more options and variables than X Wing, and far more fiddly with it. You need to really pay attention and monitor your cards, and keep an eye on all the counters and the effects they have.

- Movement system is absolutely brilliant (we all knew this) and is the key part of the game. Compared to XWing your ships are less manoeuverable, defence dice are less reliable and attack dice are so many that you really need to be outguessing your opponents rather than just hoping to weather damage.

- Because of the emphasis on dealing damage the games are very short - three player three ship game lasted 30 minutes with complete first timers playing. Six ship follow up last about 90 minutes.

- Cloak can suck my nutsack.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• repairmanjack 27 Mar 2014 20:58:17 6,082 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got a wee bundle o' fun on the way: Navajo Wars (snapped up after I saw how long I might have to wait for it to be available again) and Vlaada's new one, Tash-Kalar. Been so back and forth on the latter, but Rahdo, et al, convinced me in the end (plus found it for a bit off).

Last saturday saw Asgard's Chosen arrive (a bit like Mage Knight, with a Norse flavour, but not quite as complex) and VPG's Dawn of the Zeds, deluxe edition.

Looking forward to some time at Easter to sink into all of these. See to have shopping time, but very little gaming time, of late.
  • Nemesis 27 Mar 2014 22:27:36 18,758 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just spent my monthly gaming allowance on Rampage; I do hope it's not shit.
  • disusedgenius 27 Mar 2014 22:53:04 5,637 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My gaming club has a copy and the guys who played it seemed to have a great time. Not really my kind of thing, but the EG review seemed accurate to me.
  • Tomo 27 Mar 2014 23:46:13 13,998 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Just spent my monthly gaming allowance on Rampage; I do hope it's not shit.
    Intrigued by it myself. Very different to anything I own, but I can't shake the feeling my chums wouldn't go for it. Cube Quest is another I like the look of, but just feel... tiddly-winks.
  • Nemesis 28 Mar 2014 08:45:16 18,758 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They took quite well to King of Tokyo so here's hoping. It gives us a bit of a break from Descent and Arkham.

Edited by Nemesis at 08:46:13 28-03-2014
  • repairmanjack 29 Mar 2014 18:42:38 6,082 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First game of Tash-Kalar in the bag, and it's rather fun. Doesn't feel like so much of an abstract as chess or hive, etc, and the card art is excellent. Looking forward to teaching it to the kid when she next visits.

No way I'm in the right place to figure the rules for Navajo Wars, this weekend, but I cracked open the box just to peek at the board. It's a work of art - just gorgeous. Word has it the gameplay more than lives up to it, too.

Looks like Lewis and Clark is back in the UK around this weekend - although it's already selling out. They can't make the thing fast enough. Tempted... just as I am by some final copies of Study in Emerald, which seem to have materialised at certain stores, out of nowhere. Are folks still enjoying that one? I let my copy of Cave Evil go, but I think I might regret not grabbing this.
  • Nemesis 29 Mar 2014 19:47:33 18,758 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's here; lots of bits to build and sticker before the gaming night. I've told everyone that they can't see the game until it's on the table and prepped to play and I'm not telling them what it is. More impact that way I reckon. :-)

It does look lovely I must say and the rules are pretty easy to follow. It looks great fun can't wait to give it a go.

Green Knight Games were very quick on the delivery.
  • TheRealBadabing 30 Mar 2014 15:24:24 1,370 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of Rampage, I have to clear some room before I'm allowed to indulge. With that in mind I'll be putting Burg Appunzel (Chateau Roquefort) on eBay soon. If anyone is interested give me a shout. Details here : http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28089/chateau-roquefort
    Apologies for the lack of linkage but on the mobile.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Mar 2014 16:31:18 26,636 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apologies in advance for the mess, but I'm about to start gushing uncontrollably.

Galaxy Defenders is brilliant.

In all but name and dodgy box art, this is basically X-COM: The Boardgame.

It has the upgradable agents, each a different class. The allround grizzled marine, the minigun-wielding tank , the crackshot sniper, the turret-dropping tech/medic and the stealthy Halo energy sword-wielding infiltrator.

It has the variety of equipable weapons and gear, all of which can be "researched" for upgrades, plus alien weapons down the line.

It has the different types of filthy aliens. The standard grunts, nasty sharp melee ones, Mutons (basically), Chrysallids (basically), elite grunts and massive badass ones.

It even has dastardly AI. Whilst obviously not providing the brains of an actual AI opponent, the card based system it uses to manage the alien forces is genius and unexpected enough to keep you guessing. Its also rock hard. It's bloody clever.

It has a campaign. It has interchangeable boards to provide different terrain and settings. It has awesome minis, excellent production values, loads of different tokens and it's made me type all this.

I've only played the first few missions admittedly, but so far it's ace and if you have any love of X-COM, I think you'll like this.

The end.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 16:39:29 30-03-2014
  • Phattso Moderator 30 Mar 2014 16:46:48 13,961 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, but is it anything like X-COM?!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Mar 2014 16:54:43 26,636 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, not really.
  • BigOrkWaaagh 30 Mar 2014 17:30:35 2,326 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know how much it costs to make a working heroclix army of a decent size? A friend has expressed an interest as he's a marvel nut, but I know nothing about it. If it's going to be on the same scale as a warhammer/40k army he can fuck himself.
  • Arrr9 3 Apr 2014 15:07:42 449 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any good online board games shops. I'm looking for Risk nostalgia ( the one in the wooden box with wooden pieces ) and can't find it anywhere unless I'm paying silly ebay prices.
  • zoolophage 3 Apr 2014 15:48:43 2,308 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There's a used copy available on amazon uk for 48. As it's out of print you should expect to pay well over the rrp. I buy almost all of my games from gameslore these days. Fast and reliable and their prices are not bad (although games have gotten loads more expensive in the last 3 or 4 years in general).

Win great prizes for pc, xbox, nintendo and psn in the 2015 EG Charity Raffle: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/289501

• Oh-Bollox 6 Apr 2014 20:12:11 5,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Went a teensy bit mental, and ended up buying A Distant Plain, Twilight Struggle, Galaxy Defenders, and Letters From Whitechapel.

Finances: ruined.
  • Rusty_M 6 Apr 2014 20:19:53 4,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Arrr9 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone knows of any good online board games shops. I'm looking for Risk nostalgia ( the one in the wooden box with wooden pieces ) and can't find it anywhere unless I'm paying silly ebay prices.
    I still feel I'm new to boardgaming, but Amazon's been consistently the cheapest for me.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• andytheadequate 6 Apr 2014 20:31:53 8,375 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Try Shire Games too, they're not always the cheapest but they have pretty much every game
  • Dizzy 6 Apr 2014 21:08:56 2,763 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes Oh good. I just got it... not played it yet :S
  • cubbymoore 6 Apr 2014 22:37:24 36,507 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boardgameprices.co.uk is really helpful. It's not perfect, as they sometimes struggle getting stock info from some sites (but then they're all completely different setups) but at the very least it exposes you to manymore options, and it's improving all the time, with wishlists recently added and more stores being added too.
  • speedofthepuma 6 Apr 2014 22:50:26 13,320 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought and played arctic scavengers yesterday. Really like it. The theme is excellent, and the mechanics really make it much more interactive than Dominian. It felt a little short thought, and I'm never convinced that I really realise any tactics when I play these deck building games, but that's probably me rather than them.

I can see us playing this a lot.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• repairmanjack 7 Apr 2014 01:04:32 6,082 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spent the weekend playing Navajo Wars... Somewhere, in a dark corner of my skull, what's left of my brain is curled up and begging for mercy. It's incredibly complex, but might just be one of the best games ever created. Absolutely amazing stuff.

Had a game of Castles of Burgundy earlier. I've been very cool on it, in the past, but quite got into it this time around. Trajan still rules among the Felds for me though.

My wife wants to learn 1960 tomorrow. This could take the rest of the week...
  • Rusty_M 7 Apr 2014 12:28:32 4,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bought Android :Netrunner last week. Can't wait for it to arrive to give it a try.

I also wouldn't mind getting Android, as that looks pretty good. Possibly a little pricey though, and I think our wee flat is running out of space.

• Rusty_M 8 Apr 2014 23:03:24 4,957 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Okay, so Netrunner arrived today. Did anyone else find this one somewhat hard to get to grips with?

• StarchildHypocrethes 8 Apr 2014 23:54:25 26,636 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep.
  • Page

of 139 First / Last