of 131 First / Last

• Tomo 3 Jan 2014 11:57:58 13,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D
  • munki83 3 Jan 2014 12:04:26 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've decided that this year I'm going to delve deeper into geekdome and I picked up the Lord of the Rings the card game as well as the Game of Thrones the card game( the one based on teh books not the tv show). I've not managed to get round to playing a game of thrones with anyone yet as I'm not looking forward to explaining how it all works but I've spent a good 5/6 hours playing the lord of the rings game and I think it pretty awesome. Will need to pick up some of the expansion packs. I've got my eye on the firefly game and arkham horror and trying to decided which one to get at the end of the month
  • BigOrkWaaagh 3 Jan 2014 12:36:46 2,052 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Aww, how cute!

;)
    Smashy smash in 3... 2...

Edited by midnight_walker at 12:37:28 03-01-2014

Previously midnight_walker

• cubbymoore 3 Jan 2014 13:43:23 36,497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    I went full monty on the Chtulhu wars kickstarter... 500$. Better be worth it :S
    Whoa.
  • riz23 3 Jan 2014 13:52:21 1,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    I went full monty on the Chtulhu wars kickstarter... 500$. Better be worth it :S
    Whoa.
    Yes, I'm impressed. Or sympathetic. I'm not sure which.
  • Dizzy 3 Jan 2014 13:55:38 2,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    riz23 wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Whoa.
    Yes, I'm impressed. Or sympathetic. I'm not sure which.
    Yeah I also don't know what to think about this... :S Been a big fan of Sandy for many years and I thought "well let's do this!!" :)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2014 16:05:46 25,942 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Potentially Stupid Question Alert!

There are a lot of board games I read about that involve negotiating/diplomacy/scheming etc. what's the general etiquette for this sort of thing?

Do you generally do it at the table? Or would you label the kitchen as the Super Secret Consulate Affairs Room and people shut themselves in there to put their cunning plans in place?
  • munki83 3 Jan 2014 16:22:56 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:

There are a lot of board games I read about that involve negotiating/diplomacy/scheming etc. what's the general etiquette for this sort of thing?

Do you generally do it at the table? Or would you label the kitchen as the Super Secret Consulate Affairs Room and people shut themselves in there to put their cunning plans in place?
    Not stupid at all I'd like to know as well :D
  • phAge 3 Jan 2014 17:24:11 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Dunno. Never really played those games much, as my brother is usually part of the group and he has on more than one occasion been on the verge of ragequitting Catan because I tried "talking the others into letting me win". Catan.

I imagine most people do it at the table, and reserve the kitchen for high-level negotiations, though.
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2014 17:29:29 8,223 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Depends what game. Some games you do at the table e.g. Catan. But if you play Diplomacy, the whole house is used for secret meetings
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2014 19:04:27 25,942 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was thinking of games like Twilight Imperium/Eclipse etc, where alliances are made and broken etc. Is this supposed to be done in secret or is that not the done thing in the honourable world if board gaming? :)
  • andytheadequate 3 Jan 2014 20:31:48 8,223 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was thinking of games like Twilight Imperium/Eclipse etc, where alliances are made and broken etc. )
    Diolomacy is the ultimate for making and breaking alliances! I imagine in these games the serious discussion is done in secret too
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2014 21:02:52 25,942 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought that was probably the case, but just wanted to check. Top secret bunker/bathroom it is then!

Cheers!
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Jan 2014 22:20:55 2,215 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've always played Eclipse at the board
  • cubbymoore 4 Jan 2014 00:36:25 36,497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think most negotiation games do the whole negotiating bit around the board. Diplomacy is one of the exceptions, and why it has such a reputation. Really its a game of collusion than negotiations.
  • twelveways 5 Jan 2014 07:48:57 4,031 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We used to swap notes when playing Risk
  • repairmanjack 5 Jan 2014 13:16:19 6,054 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @munki83

I'd recommend Arkham Horror over Firefly, personally. Firefly isn't a bad game, at all, but I think it's far less replayable, out of the box, than I'd first hoped. There's a reason that Arkham Horror has been insanely popular all these years. Whilst it can be pretty fiddly until you get used to it, it'll keep you going for numerous plays. Works far better solo than Firefly, too.

Watch a couple of YouTube vids for both (Box of Delights YouTube page is exceptionally good for showing and teaching games; they also have a brilliant series on Mage Knight).

Buy both, basically. :)
  • repairmanjack 5 Jan 2014 13:20:58 6,054 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    More Lords of Waterdeep and London with my daughter yesterday. I really don't know where she learns to gloat like that. It's not from me; I never win anything.

Had a massive four games of Arkham Horror back to back over a couple of days. Couldn't roll one damn dice my way. I've got it padded with the Dunwich Horror expansion and I'm seriously ready to jump on Innsmouth when it's reprinted in a couple of months.

In other news, think I'm going to try to get back into Race for the Galaxy (which will mean watching a how to play tutorial again) as I've got the first expansion sitting here, which includes a vicious module for solo play.

Still think Sentinels of the Multiverse is one of the best card games I've ever played. If you've got any interest in comics (not that I had) it's well worth you looking into it.

Edited by repairmanjack at 13:21:24 05-01-2014

Edited by repairmanjack at 13:21:56 05-01-2014
  • skiplevels 5 Jan 2014 13:22:11 526 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    THIS YEAR

WE FINISH

LEEEEEEEGGGGGGAAAAAAACCCCCCCYYYYY
  • munki83 5 Jan 2014 13:45:39 1,436 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @repairmanjack thanks for the advice. Will get arkham horror on pay day....3 weeks to go
  • cubbymoore 5 Jan 2014 16:47:17 36,497 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

Oh, and had several games of The Duke. Cracking Chess-like variant with a dash of randomness and a much shorter time limit. Pulling new pieces out of a bag means no two games are alike. Great fun.
    The Duke is great, we played several games of it yesterday. It feels a lot more like a skirmish than chess does, which I really like, and my gf beat me several times which she wouldn't have felt like she could have with chess. This has replaced chess for me.

The only thing is that there's supposed to be expansions for it, but I haven't seen them available anywhere...
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Jan 2014 16:57:01 25,942 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My copy of Relic turned up yesterday. I think it may be the prettiest thing I've seen.
  • phAge 5 Jan 2014 17:44:16 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let us know how you feel about it - mainly how similar to Talisman it is.

Really enjoyed the first couple of games of the latter, but it is just a bit too random for my tastes. A 40K version with more meaningful choice would be great, though.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 Jan 2014 18:58:14 25,942 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I did a bit of a run through yesterday, just to get my head round it, and I won't lie, it's still very much Talisman at heart. But that's find with me as I love Talisman as a sort of easy going Sunday afternoon story generator and I love me some 40k.

There are some changes though that make things a little less by the numbers. There are 3 different types of threat now with different colours represented on board spaces. Red (Orkz and Daemons), Yellow (Eldar and something else) and Blue (Nids and something else) with Chaos interspersed between all 3 I think. These then tie in with missions you have to complete, which give things a little more purpose.

Levelling and special abilities are now handled via a nifty player dial thing and the way gear has charges to use makes things a little more tactical, not by much though. The production values are also through the roof. It's gorgeous and the 40k theming is perfect.

All in all there are a good few changes that probably fix a number of frustrations with Talisman, but at its heart it is still Talisman in space and it still all hangs on the roll of dice and the cards you draw, so if you're not a fan of the original you probably won't like this.
  • repairmanjack 5 Jan 2014 19:03:09 6,054 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Relic might be a case of try before you buy, although if you like the theme I'd say it was a lock for you, phage. It is still a roll and move game, but there's several ways to mitigate dice and luck. It's worth it just to see that gorgeous board on the table.

I'm hoping Talisman is updated and fitted with the improved mechanics of Relic. It makes for a much less frustrating game.
  • Tomo 5 Jan 2014 19:06:42 13,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Tomo wrote:

Oh, and had several games of The Duke. Cracking Chess-like variant with a dash of randomness and a much shorter time limit. Pulling new pieces out of a bag means no two games are alike. Great fun.
    The Duke is great, we played several games of it yesterday. It feels a lot more like a skirmish than chess does, which I really like, and my gf beat me several times which she wouldn't have felt like she could have with chess. This has replaced chess for me.

The only thing is that there's supposed to be expansions for it, but I haven't seen them available anywhere...
    Yeah, that's a nice way of putting it. They do feel like skirmishes whereas chess is a full on campaign.

The expansions are basically extra pieces. Here and here for instance.

I haven't even introduced the Duchess or other non-standard pieces yet, so the expansions are a little way off for me.

Edited by Tomo at 19:11:25 05-01-2014
  • Tomo 5 Jan 2014 19:08:42 13,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and one interesting thing about The Duke - I had a conversation with Paul from BoardGameGuru when I was hunting for a copy. He said he'd never sold one, then suddenly they all got shifted in a day or so. I mentioned that Rab Florence had written his review on RPS a few days beforehand and the penny dropped. The guy has quite a following clearly! Presumably you read that review too cubby?!
  • phAge 5 Jan 2014 19:13:20 24,372 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I *am* a big 40K fan, and I *do* love pretty boards with lots of stuff going on...

/has 28 lbs worth of OGRE Designers Edition crowding up the dining room table
  • onestepfromlost 5 Jan 2014 19:38:08 2,076 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ok so as much as I love boardgames I never really have the capital to invest in them as I'd like. Have been considering buying one to play when my 14 yr old boy comes to stay, so im thinking it would be me, him, my mrs and maybe his gran.
    I was thinking a zombie type game as we all like that sort of genre ( despite it being overused) and was thinking of last night on earth, seems to have a good rank on BGG. doesn't seem overly complicated and the expansions mean we can move on with it.

Anyone played it a bit and can comment on how good it is? or recommend something similar but better?
  • Oh-Bollox 6 Jan 2014 01:10:15 5,280 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LNOE is good, but I think City of Horror is better. I was dubious about CoH after the EG review, but after some folks posted about it in this thread, I picked it up and my regular group was on it like a tramp on Special Brew. You can't go wrong with either game.
  • Page

of 131 First / Last