Boardgames anyone? Page 92

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• faux_carnation 27 Oct 2013 20:06:17 9,046 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just backed a 2-player card game on Kickxstarter : Greedy Wizards.

It's only 9 for the lowest tier which is pretty good for a well designed card game. Seems worth the risk.

Edited by faux_carnation at 20:08:43 27-10-2013
  • cubbymoore 27 Oct 2013 21:27:17 36,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah might take a punt on that, seems a bit like battle line.
  • fillip 28 Oct 2013 11:11:25 890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    How playable is Netrunner with just the base set? I'm intrigued by it, but pretty sure the person I have in mind to play it with won't buy any add-ons.
    It is definitely playable with the base set alone and you get plenty to play with; essentially a deck for each runner and corp. I think what Quinn's was getting at was, when you get into it and start collecting more cards you need the people you are playing with to do likewise. Otherwise you're really into it and are adapting your deck with more tools and options to combat the cards in your opponents deck whilst they remain static with fewer options and therefore become more predictable.

My gf and I have played a fair few games straight out of the core set and we both really enjoyed it.
  • brn 28 Oct 2013 12:20:21 228 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the tips. I've played Citadels before and I can see it being fun with 2 players, so I might go with that. Played a game of Neuroshima Hex yesterday and thinking of buying the "Duel" 2p version that also works like an expansion to the main game (when I can afford it!). Has anyone tried it?

Also played another game of Spank the Monkey yesterday and I really like it. Did some research and apparently there's a new variant of the game coming out in November called Primate Fear. The difference is that instead of Spanking the Monkey, you have to escape a Frankenmonkey :) I think it might be even better... Looks cool!

(yes, that's a meeple with a tail!)

Edited by brn at 12:21:23 28-10-2013
  • Tomo 2 Nov 2013 22:10:46 13,879 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone been reading up on Essen 2013? I've found it pretty tough finding a decent round-up of the games, so wondering if anyone else did any better.
  • AccidentProne 3 Nov 2013 08:29:05 1,153 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A friend wrote a pretty good round up on his blog here.

I picked up Caverna, A Study In Emerald, Coal Baron and Warlock. The last two on the back of demos at the show.

Probably most excited about Caverna which is basically a reskinned Agricola, with a bit of Dwarf Fortress thrown in for good measure. Not played it yet, but a quick read of the rules suggests it might not be different enough to Agricola to warrant the 60 price tag if you already own the original.

A Study In Emerald was a definite buy for me thanks to the theme and it seems like a great game from my first playthrough. Being a fat fingered twat I managed to rip one of the counters, which I was rather gutted about, but the lovely folks at Treefrog Games agreed to send me a replacement, free of charge. Great customer service that, not sure how many other companies would do the same.
  • speedofthepuma 3 Nov 2013 08:55:34 13,266 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You suit your UID.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• repairmanjack 3 Nov 2013 10:28:52 5,987 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gnnn... desperate to get hold of a copy of Study in Emerald. Forbidden Planet have been holding on to all copies for more than two weeks, according to the designer. People are ready to storm the gates with pitchforks - they're painfully slow when it comes to distribution.

Still playing Pathfinder, and it's right at the top of my list for game of the year. Managed to track down (fnarr) a copy of Trains, which we're hoping to get a first play of this pm (assuming I can get through work stuff). Played a couple of games of Ghost Stories through Halloween and I'm stunned by how good it is (and how hard, but it really rewards repeated plays).

Hoping to get a game of Agricola in soon. Been way too long.
  • riz23 3 Nov 2013 10:54:28 1,150 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Gnnn... desperate to get hold of a copy of Study in Emerald. Forbidden Planet have been holding on to all copies for more than two weeks, according to the designer. People are ready to storm the gates with pitchforks - they're painfully slow when it comes to distribution.
    Yeah I'm getting a bit antsy to see mine too. As soon as I heard Forbidden Planet were involved I knew something could go awry.
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Nov 2013 10:56:38 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm a bit bored of Martin Wallace games
  • riz23 3 Nov 2013 10:59:38 1,150 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @RichieTenenbaum Yes but, Martin Wallace and Tentacles???
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Nov 2013 11:08:18 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I"m also fed up with Chtulu
  • riz23 3 Nov 2013 11:11:00 1,150 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When R'lyeh rises again you are in the first wave of sacrifices for that!
  • Tomo 3 Nov 2013 14:13:56 13,879 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, meh. The theme for A Study in Emerald looks completely dull :p

Caverna seems to be getting a fair amount of hype, but just looks like Agricola: Part 2 to me? Think I'll just get Agricola at some point.

Concordia is the one that has me most intrigued I think. Sold out everywhere, those that had a few copies.

I have bought Mayday! Mayday! from BGG though, as we do love a good bluff/party game.
  • AccidentProne 3 Nov 2013 14:32:49 1,153 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, I played Concordia as well and it was rather good. My mate bought a copy though, so I didn't bother. Would definitely recommend it if you like that sort of thing.

I love the Study in Emerald theme, but mostly as a Neil Gaiman fan. Agree that there's a bit much Cthulhu stuff about nowadays, but this is a pretty different take on it. Only play so far was two player though and think it needs more to get the most out of it. The zombieples are pretty cool too.

Caverna is totally a reskin of Agricola, by the same designer. A friend already has Agricola though, so thought I'd get this as an alternative. It is a bit pricey mind. There's loads of stuff in the box, enough for seven players, which really ramps up the cost. Bit unnecessary as I can't imagine anyone wanting to play if with more than five.
  • Oh-Bollox 3 Nov 2013 19:56:55 5,156 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm wanting something a bit more zombie-ish. I've got my eyes on Eldritch Horror, but in the meantime, what's better, Last Night on Earth or Zombicide? I'm tilting towards LNOE after seeing it on TableTop. That and the price, anyway.
  • disusedgenius 3 Nov 2013 20:13:19 5,205 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A bunch of guys at my gaming club are into their Zombicide - I'm still trying to find time to have a game of it but I've heard nothing but good things about it.
  • LeoliansBro 7 Nov 2013 11:13:06 43,227 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, Archipelago. Played a couple of games of this now and it is a seriously deep and rewarding experience. A lot of these games try to be a bit of everything and feel like they lack cohesion as a result, but this one really hangs together (with perhaps a couple of tiny exceptions). If you don't know it, you have an evolving hexagonal map which grows as you explore, you have worker placement and movement, you have construction of towns and buildings, you have resource harvesting, you have both a domestic and export market to raise cash, you have operatives to recruit and facilities to buy (either to use yourself or as a source of cash if others want to use them), you have secret objectives and you have semi-random game lengths.

Perhaps the game itself is a little long as a result (even the shortest game lasts a couple of hours) and the rebel mechanic and sudden crisis resolution is a bit clunky, but otherwise it's a brilliant game I'd recommend for anyone who wants something on the deeper and more complex side.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Fozzie_bear 7 Nov 2013 11:17:48 15,486 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    I'm wanting something a bit more zombie-ish. I've got my eyes on Eldritch Horror, but in the meantime, what's better, Last Night on Earth or Zombicide? I'm tilting towards LNOE after seeing it on TableTop. That and the price, anyway.
    City of Horror's very good.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Tomo 7 Nov 2013 20:55:24 13,879 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

Yeah, we love Archipelago. However, in the 8 or 9 games we've played there has never been a 'satisfactory' resolution to the game. I think I wrote quite a bit about it a few pages back, but the gist was: "feels a little broken in places". Sometimes the game feels like it should be close to finishing, and in reality it is because someone's condition is close to being met, however a few moves later and the proximity to end game can be dramatically shifted meaning you've got another hour or more in store. That's both exciting and incredibly frustrating at times.
  • Oh-Bollox 12 Nov 2013 23:43:53 5,156 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    City of Horror's very good.
    Oh? I discounted it after the EG review, didn't look up to much. Will check it out more thoroughly!

Shadows of Brimstone has a silly name but looks nice.
  • AaronTurner 13 Nov 2013 11:22:02 7,591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That carnival Zombie game looks great. I'd do a link but I'm on a tablet, it's one of the dice towers latest YouTube reviews.

Edited by AaronTurner at 11:22:28 13-11-2013
  • steve1979 13 Nov 2013 13:40:38 1,988 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm thinking about picking up Summoner Wars or Mage Wars for me and my 9 year old daughter to play (she's been asking about them). Any opinions on either of them?
  • fillip 13 Nov 2013 15:22:59 890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've only played Summoner Wars, and even then, only iOS. But I think it's great and I'd definitely buy the cardboard version if I thought there was a regular opponent.

Mage Wars sounds a little more in depth. I like the simplicity of Summoner Wars. That said, I've heard lots of good reviews of Mage Wars.

Sorry, I've been no help at all.
  • Waffleaber 13 Nov 2013 16:21:18 374 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm the reverse, I own Mage Wars and have had about 5 games but not tried Summoner Wars.

Mage Wars is fantastic but it can be quite wordy. You will be helped immeasurably if you both know your RPG tropes because then all the different statuses and effects will make perfect sense.

There is a lot of flexibility with spellbooks in the base set to keep you going for some time too. Mage Wars is probably a longer game, my matches are down to about 2 hours now.

Give the rule books of both a read, they'll give you a good flavour of which is best for you.
  • steve1979 14 Nov 2013 07:06:12 1,988 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the help. I'm going to look more into them to see which one would suit us for playing.
  • Tomo 16 Nov 2013 19:32:34 13,879 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finally played Cards Against Humanity today, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. It's not as balls-to-the-wall un-PC as I was expecting, but I like that there's a reasonable element of competition in it. I thought I'd lose interest, but having to align your card selection with the tsar's sense of humour raises it above simply being a game about how outrageous you can be. Some people prefer straight-laced humour, others more surreal, etc. It works well.

I also played King of Tokyo too, again which I thought would be a bit boring, but it's really nicely designed. Various roots to winning, a dash of luck, simple rules and some lovely artwork and ideas behind the power ups. Very surprised.
  • andytheadequate 16 Nov 2013 19:34:14 8,076 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone want to play Diplomacy online? We currently have 3, need another 4
  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Nov 2013 19:41:00 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    YESSSSSSS
  • bracken3000 16 Nov 2013 19:48:24 532 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I remember getting the Batman the movie board game in '89, it was so confusing, I think I cried, worst B-day ever.
  • Page

of 120 First / Last