Boardgames anyone? Page 91

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• crispyduckman 13 Oct 2013 12:02:42 1,886 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kentmonkey Here a link that I sent my gaming group about Cosmic Encounter after I'd warmed them up with some Pandemic: LINK

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Tomo 15 Oct 2013 19:01:43 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, when I said I wouldn't buy the Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition, well... yeah...

Played two games now and it's hilarious! You feel a real attachment to each ship you create so watching another person despair as their ship gets torn asunder is a pleasure. It's a rare game when I don't mind my plan failing miserably too. Surprisingly quick to play too which is welcome.
  • RichieTenenbaum 15 Oct 2013 19:35:35 2,223 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really don't like Galaxy Trucker. It's only half a game. You build a ship which is fun, then boring, mathsy things happen to it.

'Oh noes. I got hit in quadrant 7-11!'

Rinse and repeat.
  • cubbymoore 16 Oct 2013 01:07:20 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Over on the Tammany Hall thread we're starting a new game and have one space going for a 5 player game. In case anyone is interested.
  • cubbymoore 16 Oct 2013 09:28:14 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *bump*
  • LeoliansBro 16 Oct 2013 09:32:41 44,512 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it online or do I need a copy cubby? If the former and you don't mind me being new to the game and only playing in the evenings, I'm your huckleberry.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• AccidentProne 16 Oct 2013 09:34:40 1,168 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How long does a game last? I'm away on holiday next week (Essen!), so would most likely hold you all up waiting for my turn. Would probably be interested in a game at some point though.

Is anyone else going to Spiel next week? Any recommendations for games I should check out whilst there? Got a pretty big list already, but have no doubt overlooked some awesome games.
  • andytheadequate 16 Oct 2013 10:23:29 8,268 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Is it online or do I need a copy cubby? If the former and you don't mind me being new to the game and only playing in the evenings, I'm your huckleberry.
    It's online. I think everyone has only played one game (that we just finished) so you shouldn't be at too much of a disadvantage
  • Tomo 16 Oct 2013 11:44:50 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I really don't like Galaxy Trucker. It's only half a game. You build a ship which is fun, then boring, mathsy things happen to it.

'Oh noes. I got hit in quadrant 7-11!'

Rinse and repeat.
    Oh come on, let's not be a fun sponge. Granted, it's not the most tactically strenuous game you're going to play, but it's definitely a good laugh.
  • cubbymoore 16 Oct 2013 11:47:37 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @LeoliansBro

It's played on http://www.slothninja.com/

And the thread is: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/257487

Rules

And we can talk you through the interface.

I'll pm you the password.
  • LeoliansBro 16 Oct 2013 12:49:28 44,512 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lovely stuff.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• fillip 17 Oct 2013 07:42:04 896 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These arrived last night \o/
    The Cuba Libre rulebook is scaring me.
  • repairmanjack 17 Oct 2013 17:49:11 6,068 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let us know how it plays. I had Andean Abyss on the table for four nights learning it; I want to break it out again, but I know it'll mean re-learning it from scratch. Great game and - apparently - simpler than the rule book suggests. Clash of Cultures is a great civilisation game, too.

Managed to get 1960: the Making of the President to the table again last weekend; I'm so bad at this, I may as we'll be over in the US helping them out right now. Still haven't beaten Nixon; but that's more my inability to count than imbalance, I think.
  • Waffleaber 21 Oct 2013 16:40:56 434 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been a while since I've posted some reports from recently bought and gifted games so I'll share some thoughts.

Arkham Horror Start with the one most have played. Only managed to get the one game in of this so far. Played with three of us and it's great fun, if a bit long. Not one for if you have work early the next day! With a little effort you can make it a bit RPG-lite and string your encounters into a personal journey for your character and I found this made the game better. Book keeping issues though, it's easy to forget you have a helpful item when you need it. Itching for another game.

Incidentally this was the game to persuade me to upgrade my gaming table. I managed to do so on the cheap by grabbing some baseboard from Wickes for a fiver. Didn't even need cutting down to size.

Memoir '44 Components! Lovely, lovely components. The game comes with 19 different battle setups and honestly setting the map up is half the fun. The game itself is a balanced mix of strategy and luck and it plays really quickly.

Risk Legacy We're 4 battles in to the campaign and have just opened out first two envelopes. Tough one this, if the game is open and fair Risk is a fine game, last time however my mate took all but one region in North America but was then boxed in for the whole game and had a miserable 45 minutes. The new additions from the envelopes should keep it fresh though. Excited for Seafall Legacy.

Tales of the Arabian Nights I was so excited to finally get to play this after the SUSD review and I wasn't disappointed. Played with three which I'd say is the perfect number as it keeps everyone involved. It's another time sink but that never feels an issue and it's the only game I've played with my missus where she's insisted on another game the following night. A definite winner.
  • RichieTenenbaum 21 Oct 2013 16:45:41 2,223 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone going to the Shut Up and Sit Down Quinns thing tomorrow in Notts?
  • crispyduckman 21 Oct 2013 23:21:47 1,886 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Waffleaber You could have bought a piece of baseboard the size of Gibraltar and you'd still only barely fit Arkham on it.

Btw, what's the deal with playing >2 players with just the base game of Memoir? How does it work and does it work well? I was toying with picking it up recently but got the FFG version of Nexus Ops instead.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• phAge 26 Oct 2013 14:06:31 24,386 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had my first real (as in non-solo) game of Pathfinder the Card Game last night. Or, rather - first three games, as me and four mates lost the first two ones - one due to a slight misreading of rules on my part and once to pure bad luck (and us not reading our card properly...).

Anyway - it was great fun, and I can easily see it getting some serious table-time in the future. The mechanics are pretty simple but with plenty of depth, and it seems really well balanced as well. Love the persistent characters and deck-building aspects of it as well - really satisfies the metagame-itch inbetween games.

Edited by phAge at 14:30:03 26-10-2013
  • brn 26 Oct 2013 21:41:26 232 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can anyone recommend a cheap (like, on amazon) game that works great with two players?

Played Spank the Monkey the other day and it was really fun. It's a card game that takes place on a junkyard and there's an annoying monkey that you want to give a beating. It climbs a mountain of trash and it's up to the players to build their own towers of trash to reach it. The artwork has a bit of a Worms-vibe. Unfortunately I can't find it cheap anywhere, it's like 20, for a card game!

here's some artwork:
  • Tomo 26 Oct 2013 21:50:13 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mascarade is fun even with two players. I've heard good things about Citadels too, but not played it.

Others that spring to mind are Netrunner and Pathfinder, but I have no experience with them.
  • speedofthepuma 26 Oct 2013 21:51:57 13,307 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Citadels, love letter (better with more though). People rave about Netrunner, but I too haven't played it,

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Alastair 26 Oct 2013 22:09:49 16,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hive is a good 2 players only game. Get Hive Pocket, it's the same but smaller.
  • cubbymoore 26 Oct 2013 23:32:46 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hive is good yep.

Not played mascarade with 2, can't even imagine how that works! I see it as a party game myself.

Citadels is good with 2, surprisingly good in fact.

Two games that I've been meaning to get that are 2 player are Lost Cities and Battle Line. Both are well renowned 2 player games that you should definitely have a look at to see if they might interest you.

Also still under 20 on amazon, like all those just mentioned, is Castles of Burgundy. This is a great 2 player game. Lots of forward planning, picking what is the best thing to do now. Really satisfying game.
  • Tomo 27 Oct 2013 00:54:50 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In 2-player Mascarade you each have to cards and there are two hidden in the centre. Works really well.
  • fillip 27 Oct 2013 08:08:25 896 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that Citadels works better than Mascarade at 2P.

Netrunner is really, really good but can end up being costly.

I'd also recommend Condotierre which plays great from 2-6.
  • Tomo 27 Oct 2013 11:12:24 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How playable is Netrunner with just the base set? I'm intrigued by it, but pretty sure the person I have in mind to play it with won't buy any add-ons.
  • cubbymoore 27 Oct 2013 11:59:52 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quinns on Shut Up And Sit Down said on their last podcast that he thinks it pointless just getting the base game. Might be worth checking out Rhado 's video on the game on bgg, as you see the whole game being played and his thoughts afterwards.
  • Tomo 27 Oct 2013 13:02:27 13,946 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I heard what Quinns said, but he didn't really elaborate.

(Also cubby, play your move please :D )
  • cubbymoore 27 Oct 2013 13:13:11 36,501 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whoops. I did play it, didn't notice it hadn't gone through!
  • ZuluHero 27 Oct 2013 14:10:03 4,202 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played lords of water deep with the expansion the other night.. The new resource corruption really adds an extra dimension to the game. I lost because I misread an intrigue card but fun and laughter was had by all. Can't wait to play it again.
  • speedofthepuma 27 Oct 2013 19:44:10 13,307 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Quinns was saying that if all you were going to get was the base set then there are better games to spend your money on, not that it was pointless.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Page

of 133 First / Last