of 123 First / Last

• Tomo 1 Sep 2013 14:10:09 13,886 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ahh, 3-4 hours is a bit of a sticking point :/
  • McGeeza 1 Sep 2013 14:37:15 930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Although I reckon 2 experienced players can probably get it down to around 2 hours.
  • famous_roy 1 Sep 2013 15:01:07 4,100 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has Munchkin been mentioned? One of my all time faves, had a 5 player game last night, hilarious, dramatic, it has it all!

The Axe Cop set is particularly fine http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steve-Jackson-Games-4401SJG-Munchkin/dp/B005J2RU84

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• steve1979 1 Sep 2013 18:08:53 1,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    steve1979 wrote:
    Mice and Mystics is a story based game. You have a story to read and then a scenario that goes around it. It's a sort of dungeon crawl type game. You have some nice miniatures and each person picks a character and you play out that part of the story. I really liked it, and my kids did too. It's fairly straight forward, although some of the encounters can be quite tough and there's not enough variety in the enemies.

Description_here
    Thanks for the recommendation by the way, bought this today as my Father's Day prezzie (brill wife), need to watch the video as I'm not feeling it from the rulebook, the I'll play the first chapter with Ben.
    I watched the video too, it made it much simpler. I hope you enjoy it.
  • RichieTenenbaum 1 Sep 2013 19:13:18 2,188 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've played Mice and Mystics a couple of times now and I'm not sure I like it. Here are my issues

1) I think it lacked interesting decisions. You go to a room, clear it of enemies, then move on and do the same. It lacked...spark.
    2) We had to constantly reference Boardgamegeek as the rule book is really quite vague.
    3) The variety of the enemies, and as they're not controlled by another player (IE No one plays the bad guys) they seem very characterless and dull. It didn't feel satisfying to kill one.
    4) They way we lost every game (running out of time on the page meter) feels really unsatisfying.
    5) It feels too much like it's trying to emulate a computer game, rather than using the fact it's a boardgame to it's advantage.

IN MY OPINION, anyway.
  • andytheadequate 1 Sep 2013 19:20:16 8,111 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    @Tomo

Its top spot is well deserved. Brilliant design. Only downsides are the 3-4 hour playtime (unless you sneak a rare early instawin) and the fact that you need to learn the cards before you can really play well (although this is less of a problem if two people are learning the game together).
    I agree with this. Good game but it takes a long time to learn, and finding time to play it is difficult.
  • AaronTurner 3 Sep 2013 22:44:02 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got Pathfinder today, so many cards 0_0

Being a serial sleever it's taken me ages just to do half the box. On that note, the box isn't great for sleeved cards and I'm going to have to think of another solution, especially as the card holders in the box are curved at the bottom and so make all the sleeves curl.

Aside from that, looking through this thing briefly as I sleeve the cards is great, so many different things but the looks of it there will be a huge amount of replayability. Also, I wasn't too enamoured by the design from pictures and videos but in your hand the cards are actually quite simple and nice.

Going to do the rest of the sleeves and then I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow before I can get a game started.
  • steve1979 4 Sep 2013 06:24:08 1,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Where do you get your sleeves? I've got Pathfinder coming too, and should probably start sleeving my cards.
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2013 06:40:24 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think sleeves are quite a personal thing. There is no doubt that the more expensive ones are nicer, however I use these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B007NVDK56/

They can be slightly baggy on the cards but personally I find them perfectly suitable and they work out at about a quarter of the price of the more expensive ones.
  • steve1979 4 Sep 2013 10:28:43 1,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks very much. I'll have a look at a few types and see which ones I prefer.
  • AaronTurner 6 Sep 2013 07:39:20 7,669 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a shot of Pathfinder last night but have to admit I didn't enjoy it at all. I think you need to control 2+ characters really but I was apprehensive to do that whilst learning the rules. Every fight I came up against I couldn't win as I didn't have any weapons and the combat checks were all higher than my single die roll. Maybe I was playing it wrong but it was a very frustrating experience.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Sep 2013 08:49:08 43,671 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played a fair few games of Hive now, there's a surprising depth to it and the intricacies of the moves you can pull off mean you have to be very alert to catch every threat. Great little game for when you have 10 minutes free with a friend in the pub etc. We tend to play with the mosquito but not the ladybird.

I love how insects get a personality from their moves. Ants are super fast and adaptable, zipping round the edge and stirring things up. Grasshoppers come from nowhere, spiders are ambush predators (people see them and assume they are no threat because they look only one move in either direction), stag beetles are unstoppable and the mosquito is a fucking ninja!

The full size bakelite tiles are gloriously chunky, too. Very satisfying.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tomo 7 Sep 2013 14:10:40 13,886 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Space Cadets in back in stock on Amazon btw. Great fun.
  • Tomo 15 Sep 2013 12:50:57 13,886 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finally played a game of Tammany Hall. And it's bloody brilliant. Easy to pick up and a really nasty, aggressive game. Perfect! You have a very limited amount of decisions to make, but each one feels like the consequences will affect your subsequent one. It's very stressful.

I'll have to give the online version a go at some point. I'll probably get destroyed like I did last night mind.
  • andytheadequate 15 Sep 2013 13:18:37 8,111 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone played Power Grid? Had a game last week and I was really impressed.

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:18:47 15-09-2013
  • speedofthepuma 15 Sep 2013 13:47:49 13,278 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So my wife likes 7 wonders best, so I was thinking of a nice worker placement game next, any reason to go for something other than Catan? Needs to be fairly simple.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Waffleaber 15 Sep 2013 14:48:04 388 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @andytheadequate I'd looked at Power Grid before, even read the rules, and it does look fantastic but i'm pretty sure the theme (and the art) would bomb with my two regulars.

@speedofthepuma As far as worker placement goes I think it depends on whether it is just the two of you mostly. If it is I'd forgo Catan in favour of Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, which I love and fits your criteria but it's just two player. Maybe Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar which looks amazing but I haven't had a chance to play as yet so I can't judge it's simplicity.
  • repairmanjack 15 Sep 2013 14:51:28 5,998 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Power Grid is superb and just gets better with the more players you have. I've enjoyed it two-player, even though many people will tell you it's poor at that number. I honestly think, despite the (slight) complexity, that it's a great game to lure new people into the hobby.

Lousy weather outside, so going to break open Flash Point: Fire Rescue in a bit. Got a Letters From Whitechapel rematch with my wife later too.

Ah, Sundays...
  • Tomo 15 Sep 2013 16:47:37 13,886 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Let us know what Flash Point is like. I've been eyeing it up myself. Love the theme, just not sure how well it'll go down in my flat as we prefer competition to cooperation...
  • repairmanjack 15 Sep 2013 19:37:47 5,998 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, we've had it a while. Even got the two expansions. It's very scalable, from a family game up to the complexity of fighting a real fire. I initially found the board and card art a bit basic, or cutesy, but the game itself is rock solid. I'm more likely to grab this off the shelf, these days, than something like Pandemic, just because it still feels fresh. It's deserved its success. Fun game and can be quite a challenge. Dice rolls randomise the fire and explosions.
  • RyanDS 15 Sep 2013 19:41:39 9,165 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked up Small World yesterday and it is fantastic. Like Risk but without the randomness.

Scaled very nicely as well, with seperate maps for 2/3/4/5 players.
  • cubbymoore 15 Sep 2013 23:03:01 36,478 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Board games heavy weekend, woop! Played castles of burgundy, citadels and finally carcassonne (as always). Castles was very nearly difficult to explain, I missed a load of rules the first time around, and 3 players you can at points feel the downtime, but it's such a satisfying game to play, especially when you work out how to string a load of different actions and points just from one dice roll. I'm also getting slightly better at explaining new games and my friends are being more patient, which really helps, especially when I'm not that sure how a game works myself.

For 20 off amazon castles of burgundy is definitely worth a shot. I can see this one being played a lot.

Oh and citadels 3 player is pretty damn good. We swapped the assassin for the witch which really helps.

I'm starting to lay off buying new games though and focusing efforts on getting the damn things played, which is really rewarding.
  • Tomo 16 Sep 2013 00:37:53 13,886 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:

I'm starting to lay off buying new games though and focusing efforts on getting the damn things played, which is really rewarding.
    Yeah, likewise. I haven't bought a game since July or something. Very close to getting Kemet though... looks very different to what I've got. But work coupled with my significant collection is preventing me.

Just finished another Tammany Hall, which I won! \o/. Was helped no end by my friend who screwed over my girlfriend in the last term, bringing me from 6 points off the lead to win by 3. The game's an instant classic for me. Really tight.
  • Salaman 16 Sep 2013 01:17:34 18,953 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Picked up Small World yesterday and it is fantastic. Like Risk but without the randomness.

Scaled very nicely as well, with seperate maps for 2/3/4/5 players.
    Good game indeed. Played it a fair few times now after I gifted it to a friend. We always enjoyed it.
  • fillip 16 Sep 2013 07:25:26 890 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo Good to hear re. Tammany. I've bit the bullet and stumped up to have it imported from the US. Fingers crossed for avoiding any further customs charges.
  • cubbymoore 19 Sep 2013 00:49:18 36,478 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    shut up & sit down at EG expo!
  • tenofspades 19 Sep 2013 23:13:45 1,693 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    that's a point- ever any Eurogamer board game meets outside of this one? Might be good one in Bristol area.
  • Nemesis 21 Sep 2013 14:42:14 18,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have somehow managed to start a new weekly gaming day for Saturday. Soneone looked at Tsuro and asked what it was so, naturally, I set it up and off we went!

Everyone is asking if we are playing games again after dinner tonight....

To that end, I purchased Ticket to Ride. I thought it might be a nice thing to try out, wasn't sure about Catan.
  • cubbymoore 21 Sep 2013 15:31:03 36,478 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not that big into ticket to ride myself. I don't think there's anywhere near enough interaction because you keep so much info hidden.

I would recommend carcassonne for more fun that's still accessible, but we bought a few expansions which makes it much better in a few respects, but it's still great on its own.
  • TheRealBadabing 21 Sep 2013 20:42:29 1,296 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have 5 or more players The Resistance/Avalon is brilliant. Been said many times here but worth repeating.
  • Page

of 123 First / Last