Boardgames anyone? Page 85

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• steve1979 20 Aug 2013 16:38:10 2,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had a game of Mice and Mystics today with my daughters. They loved the story and really got into it, and so long as you watch the video explaining how to play its very easy to pick up. Great game, I'm looking forward to playing chapter 2.
  • speedofthepuma 20 Aug 2013 22:04:40 13,320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's mice and mystics about? I don't know much about it, and I'm always interested in something my kids might like.

Also, thanks a cubby for getting me to spend money on the Agents..

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• beastmaster 20 Aug 2013 22:07:52 11,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• steve1979 20 Aug 2013 22:11:13 2,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mice and Mystics is a story based game. You have a story to read and then a scenario that goes around it. It's a sort of dungeon crawl type game. You have some nice miniatures and each person picks a character and you play out that part of the story. I really liked it, and my kids did too. It's fairly straight forward, although some of the encounters can be quite tough and there's not enough variety in the enemies.

Description_here
  • cubbymoore 22 Aug 2013 14:53:57 36,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That Firefly game is going to be everywhere. Ugh.
  • speedofthepuma 22 Aug 2013 22:34:48 13,320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks dull.

• Tomo 23 Aug 2013 01:28:28 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played Mascarade yesterday. Good fun. It's essentially a memory test, rather than full on bluffing like Avalon. It's nice and short, with a great just one more round quality to it. Only played max of 4 players so far though. Reckon it would be a vastly different game with 7 or 8.
  • cubbymoore 24 Aug 2013 00:42:32 36,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still haven't had a chance to play Mascarade. Love the coins, that's all I can say on it at the moment.

I'm now thinking of getting Castles of Burgundy, I had dismissed it as it was cheap (!) and has dice, but looking at the way the dice work I'm thinking this might be both a really good option for a euro and also a good deep game for 2 players, which are two things I've been trying to find for a while. Can't believe it's been there all along as an option, not realising it's bang on what I'm looking for.

Anyone here played it?
  • Tomo 24 Aug 2013 11:42:10 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not played it, but I've read/watched a reasonable amount about it. Looks like a great game, especially for 20. Think LeoliansBro has played it?

I'd get it myself, but it feels a little too similar to many I already have.
  • Waffleaber 24 Aug 2013 15:00:12 463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been close to buying Castles of Burgundy a few times myself but I know it would be a very hard sell with my regular players.

For those interested there are currently 2 copies of Tales of the Arabian Nights on Amazon UK. There were 4, by the time I ordered my copy another had gone.
  • cubbymoore 24 Aug 2013 15:08:25 36,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Re: burgundy.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm thinking of trying it as something more substantial I can play with my gf more than anything else, it says it plays best 2 player on bgg. The only other game we like playing 2 player is Hive, and while it's good I would like to have something longer lasting.

I'd dread trying to teach it to a group, though. I'm terrible at explaining rules, but I'm pretty much the only person who buys games, so I have little choice.

Edited by cubbymoore at 15:09:22 24-08-2013
  • Tomo 24 Aug 2013 15:20:44 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:

but I'm pretty much the only person who buys games, so I have little choice.
    Hehe. Know the feeling. Although I've managed to convince one other to make the odd purchase.

My GF called me a "dictator" the other day in front of two friends when it comes to boardgames - I always dictate when we play/how many times we play/if we must have another game when I've just lost the previous round etc.

/polishes iron fist
  • steve1979 24 Aug 2013 15:53:27 2,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked up Tales of the Arabian Nights, so thanks for pointing it out. It looks like great fun.

Had my first game of Pandemic, which is superb. I can see that getting played a lot.
  • poobob 26 Aug 2013 09:19:02 75 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    After reading the "Fiasco" review I've decided I want to try that sort of thing. Can anyone recommend similar games for 2 players? Preferably fairly light rule sets as it's for n00bs, thanks.
  • Waffleaber 28 Aug 2013 15:55:25 463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GameSeek via Amazon have cancelled my Tales of the Arabian Nights order. Damaged and can't get any more apparently. Grrr.
  • daft 29 Aug 2013 10:33:55 554 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    Picked up Tales of the Arabian Nights, so thanks for pointing it out. It looks like great fun.

Had my first game of Pandemic, which is superb. I can see that getting played a lot.
    It was a success in my group as well. We'll have a second go at saving the world tonight, and people seem to be looking forward to that and Zombicide. :)
  • repairmanjack 29 Aug 2013 11:44:24 6,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played the little known Shadowrift last night. It's a co-op deck-builder in which you're defending a town from seige by monsters.

And that description obviously makes it sound "me too", but I think it's actually one of the smartest designs I've yet seen in these games. The monsters come in and activate a lot like in Thunderstone, and they have an explicit effect that triggers at each staging point (mostly to use a power/spell or murder a town member).

What I love about it, is that whilst you're building your own decks, the game is also developing a town deck, too. Each round, you lay out five town cards, which are people you can go to for the effect they give, but there's also a traveller deck: each round two wanders turn up. Some of them have useful skills, so you would want to buy them (or bribe them to come into the town). But: some of them are infiltrators, who you don't want, and they automatically come into the town and cause you grief. You can also reinforce the town by building walls (buying more cards). At the end of each round, the town hand is reset, so you will get different abilities or defenses (or arseholes). Now, should one of these characters die, you move them to the traveller deck (signifying someone with similar skills will wander by eventually) and you place a corpse card in the town deck. Should you draw five corpses for the town, you lose. There's several other ways to lose, of course.

It's a fairly small box with an amazing amount of variety. There are six varieties of enemy, each with their own recommended decks to play with, and with their own game changing details (Storm Lords cast magic; Necromancers put zombies instead of corpses into the town deck, etc).

I sat up playing it until 3am, and I'm honestly astonished that people aren't screaming from the hilltops about how great it is. I've become a huge Thunderstone fan, but this little (indie) game really seems to blow it away.

The problem might be tracking down a copy... there's talk of a second edition, but I picked this copy up a month ago when it was apparent that it was becoming increasingly rare.

Can see it being in my top five at the end of the year (and I think we should start suggesting top whatevers soon...)

Edited by repairmanjack at 11:45:40 29-08-2013
  • steve1979 29 Aug 2013 12:28:27 2,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Waffleaber They did the exact same with me too.
  • steve1979 29 Aug 2013 12:45:57 2,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @daft Not played Zombicide, and I've heard mixed things about it, but it looks so fun.
  • cubbymoore 29 Aug 2013 13:51:55 36,507 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm setting up a board game meet up in Brighton in October. Anyone here interested?

I'll firm up the details at a later date, but we have a venue already. Hopefully, if the first one goes well I'll try and make it a regular thing.
  • f00b_inc 29 Aug 2013 14:15:30 709 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    @daft Not played Zombicide, and I've heard mixed things about it, but it looks so fun.
    I picked up Zombicide for my (zombie fanatic) brother-in-law this past Christmas. We played a few times with 3-4 players and enjoyed it! The rules are a bit flaky in parts but we got over that easily. There is something quite good fun about the masses of little zombie figures spilling out on to the board. Everyone attempting to work together only to have someone bolt to save themselves can be quite entertaining too.

I'm hovering over the Buy button for Eclipse right now... and Castles of Burgundy :-o
  • daft 29 Aug 2013 14:22:14 554 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @steve1979 My group loves it and it's the main event for all our gaming nights. Season 2 is about to ship and I foresee a massive increase in gaming nights once it's here. :)
  • f00b_inc 30 Aug 2013 14:56:28 709 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eclipse bought! Convincing anyone to play/learn it might be a challenge... Board game night planned for next week though!

Pandemic, Eclipse, Avalon, and/or Love Letter are on the cards depending on numbers/enthusiasm.
  • repairmanjack 30 Aug 2013 16:12:46 6,082 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else interested in the Pathfinder Card Game: Rise of the Runelords? It's being released in the next few days and word of mouth has been nothing short of phenomenal. It's a GM-less D&D campaign, so should intrigue many of us (frequently) solo gamers.

Thebookdepository are doing it at a quarter off the retail price, if you search for it via google. People are calling it this year's Netrunner (i.e. it's going to be a shite to find after the first day of release).
  • Tomo 30 Aug 2013 17:46:38 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm in Glasgow at the moment. Have been for a week. This morning was my only time off so far. Rather than do much sightseeing, I spent about 45 minutes in Static Games looking at all the games. Then my conscience told me I don't need to buy anymore at the moment. So I dilly-dallied, then fled the shop, hot tears burning streaks down my face.

Help.
  • AaronTurner 30 Aug 2013 18:26:56 7,886 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have Pathfinder on order and should be picking it up in Tuesday. Sounds great for a solo gamer like me. I'm also delving into Lords of the Rings LCG which is just brilliant and I'm not even a fan of the books or films. I've got 3 of the large expansions now and absolutely love it, such a great card game for solo play.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Aug 2013 18:33:59 44,957 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know it isn't cool to say it and all, but I think that Firefly game might actually be worth a gander.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tomo 30 Aug 2013 18:38:50 13,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anyone played Twilight Struggle btw? The theme intrigues me along with its top ranking on BGG...
  • speedofthepuma 1 Sep 2013 12:22:37 13,320 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    steve1979 wrote:
    Mice and Mystics is a story based game. You have a story to read and then a scenario that goes around it. It's a sort of dungeon crawl type game. You have some nice miniatures and each person picks a character and you play out that part of the story. I really liked it, and my kids did too. It's fairly straight forward, although some of the encounters can be quite tough and there's not enough variety in the enemies.

Description_here
    Thanks for the recommendation by the way, bought this today as my Father's Day prezzie (brill wife), need to watch the video as I'm not feeling it from the rulebook, the I'll play the first chapter with Ben.

Edited by speedofthepuma at 14:11:29 01-09-2013

• McGeeza 1 Sep 2013 13:41:04 987 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo

Its top spot is well deserved. Brilliant design. Only downsides are the 3-4 hour playtime (unless you sneak a rare early instawin) and the fact that you need to learn the cards before you can really play well (although this is less of a problem if two people are learning the game together).
  • Page

of 139 First / Last